Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Results 141 to 156 of 156

    Thread: MT: 2012-2013 Family sedan showdown

    1. 10-03-2012 08:24 PM #141
      Book another C/D 10Best win for the Accord. It's already wrapped up.

    2. Swallow Doretti
      Guest
      10-03-2012 08:34 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by joe97 View Post
      Book another C/D 10Best win for the Accord. It's already wrapped up.
      My only comment about the article is that several of the journos with whom I've spoken about the Accord say that the new steering system really reduces the fun-to-drive factor.

      The new Fusion really does look great, but I remain concerned about how Ford handles the whole integration of the stereo and A/C--the center stack in the M/T test looks utterly button-rific.

    3. Member Ross1013's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      5,842
      Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      10-03-2012 09:01 PM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      My only comment about the article is that several of the journos with whom I've spoken about the Accord say that the new steering system really reduces the fun-to-drive factor.

      The new Fusion really does look great, but I remain concerned about how Ford handles the whole integration of the stereo and A/C--the center stack in the M/T test looks utterly button-rific.
      When you hear gripes like that, do you assume that the steering actually sucks, or that you're talking to people who haven't acclimated to EPS yet (or just dislike it)?

    4. Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2006
      Posts
      66
      10-04-2012 01:24 PM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by Andy@Ross-Tech.com View Post
      Altima is quick and efficient.

    5. Member rynodyno312's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2012
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      3,273
      Vehicles
      2013 Civic SI, 2011 EX35
      10-04-2012 02:25 PM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      When you hear gripes like that, do you assume that the steering actually sucks, or that you're talking to people who haven't acclimated to EPS yet (or just dislike it)?
      A good EPS system shouldn't need the driver to be "acclimated." My GTI has EPS and it has amazing steering feel with excellent feedback--it loads up in the corers just as well as a good hydraulic system and doesn't feel disconnected at all. I had to look it up to find out it was electrically-assisted. I like it much better than the hydraulic variable-assist steering in my GF's Infiniti.

    6. Member Ross1013's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      5,842
      Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      10-04-2012 02:36 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by rynodyno312 View Post
      A good EPS system shouldn't need the driver to be "acclimated."
      Any new control system requires some getting used to.
      Last edited by Ross1013; 10-04-2012 at 03:11 PM.

    7. 10-04-2012 02:38 PM #147
      This a classically styled, sagely engineered four-door that focuses on bona-fide family sedan requirements while delivering a notably superior driving experience

      I knew MT was full of horse manure when they said classically styled

    8. Member rynodyno312's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2012
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      3,273
      Vehicles
      2013 Civic SI, 2011 EX35
      10-04-2012 02:46 PM #148
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      Uh...you sure?

      EPS can be twitchy and it takes a while to re-adjust IMO. In most EPS cars, the sharpness and the length of your inputs need to decrease compared to what you need to use on a hydraulic car.

      And if it's a more performance-oriented system like what Honda use on their cars, it's going to feel even more twitchy and reactive.
      No, Ross, I actually have no idea how my own car's steering feels.

      I'm sure EPS can be twitchy and can take awhile to adjust to. I'm just saying it doesn't have to be that way, and the car I drive every day is proof of that. I haven't driven a newer honda with EPS and can't compare it to that specific system, but the EPS I do have experience with feels just like a good hydraulic system.

    9. Member Ross1013's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2012
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      5,842
      Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      10-04-2012 03:41 PM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by rynodyno312 View Post
      I'm sure EPS can be twitchy and can take awhile to adjust to. I'm just saying it doesn't have to be that way, and the car I drive every day is proof of that. I haven't driven a newer honda with EPS and can't compare it to that specific system, but the EPS I do have experience with feels just like a good hydraulic system.
      What I am saying is, it all depends on what you are coming from, and what you are comparing it to.

    10. 10-10-2012 02:48 AM #150
      Quote Originally Posted by above8k View Post
      They would have been placed behind Camry anyway.
      Not the Optima.

      Both the new Camry and Altima got a 3-1/2 star rating from MT while the Optima received a 4-star rating.


      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      So, in order of Dumb to Righteous Choices for Mid-Sized Sedans (According to TCL):

      Dumbest:Malibu
      Galant
      Avenger
      200
      Camry
      Accord
      Altima
      Regal
      Legacy
      Optima
      Sonata
      Fusion (but preferably with Euro "Mondeo" badging)
      The upcoming Mazda6 that isn't even for sale yet anywhere in the world
      Passat
      Most Righteous: Kizashi
      Always Optima > Sonata.

      It seems that the new Accord is the best all-around "family sedan" - much like what the Camry was during the early 1990s.

      For the best driver, it'll probably come down btwn the Fusion and the 6, but there is one Euro review which found the steering in the Mondeo to be better than in the 6.
      Last edited by CP1; 10-10-2012 at 02:50 AM.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

      Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      .
      - LeftLaneNews

    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •