Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Audi RS 5 Cabriolet Confirmed for Sale in USA

1. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi TT S line competition, 1984 Audi 4000S quattro, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
      10-01-2012 11:55 AM #1

One highlight for Audi at Paris was the world debut of the new RS 5 Cabriolet. The move to do a droptop version of Audi's hot RS 5 coupe was a horribly kept secret, though the result seems quite fabulous. Of course this was Paris but the immediate question on the mind of our staff was whether the RS 5 Cabriolet would come to the USA - Audi's #1 convertible market. We're happy to report that it will.

The sole example on the Audi stand of this new offering featured a tailored interior by Audi Exclusive, Glacier White Metallic paint and polished versions of the latest RS style wheel introduced on the RS 4 Avant.

In an Audi Exclusive themed meeting room just above the position of that lone RS 5 Cabriolet, we had a chance to talk with Audi of America President Scott Keogh and his product planning chief Filip Brabec while and specifically pressed the pair on the question of the RS 5 and availability for America. We’re happy to report that both men confirmed that the RS 5 Cabriolet will come to America. Delivery to customers will begin in the first quarter of next year and Keogh hinted at another RS announcement by the end of this year that should also grab American attention.

2. 10-03-2012 09:48 AM #2
      George, what's your guess on the future RS? I'm thinking RS4 with a manual.....

3. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi TT S line competition, 1984 Audi 4000S quattro, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
      10-04-2012 08:55 AM #3
      For the USA? RS 4 is still not a done (dead) deal for America. It could happen, but that is TBD by market conditions (growth here, flat sales in EU).

Manual gearbox? In RS 4 and RS 5 this won't happen... at least not in this generation. The good news is that, where possible, markets like the USA and UK that still like the MT can band together and promise enough volume to develop it. The down side is that the home market of Germany really isn't complaining about the demise of the MT, because DSG is faster and more fuel efficient... even if less engaging.

4. 10-06-2012 08:17 PM #4
      Yes USA. Was hopeful since the RS5 is DSG, that Audi would bring a manual RS4 to differentiate the two. Similar to what they did in bringing the manual TTRS since they already had the DSG in the TTS model.

And since the first RS4 was manual, it's only right that they keep the manual tradition in that model

5. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      10-09-2012 01:33 PM #5
      The difference is that there was an MT6 TT RS in production and that this was allotted from the outset. With RS 4/RS 5, there is no MT6 and it's too late in the production cycle of these cars and this drivetrain for markets with MT6 customers like the USA and UK to band together and lobby for it. For this generation of car, it is extremely, extremely unlikely.

6. 12-03-2012 06:51 PM #6
      And Audi will loose customers if they continue to limit 6mt cars to the states. I for one will shift brands to keep a manual trans and I am sure I am not alone in this. The demise of the manual trans is crazy but not unexpected for you can get more and more supercars with automatics being the only option. You can keep them thanks. I hate automatics.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Infiniti G35 W/APS ST
      12-10-2012 06:03 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Kngfisher View Post
      And Audi will loose customers if they continue to limit 6mt cars to the states. I for one will shift brands to keep a manual trans and I am sure I am not alone in this. The demise of the manual trans is crazy but not unexpected for you can get more and more supercars with automatics being the only option. You can keep them thanks. I hate automatics.
      Who would you go with if not Audi???

8. Administrator George@Fourtitude's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      12-11-2012 09:17 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Kngfisher View Post
      I'd say two things. First, manuals are not just disappearing at Audi. Look around at the competition and you'll see a similar trend. I think manuals are partly disappearing due to taste and partly due to cost and complexity. For these highest horsepower applications, they develop just one gearbox. You couldn't just swap in the B7 RS 4 box because the transmission positioning (thus casing and who knows what else) changed.

Second, I'd say Audi is still pretty good at keeping manuals where they can. R8 (for now), S4 and S5 for USA and UK where there's more demand, etc. Spend some time in a DSG S-tronic car though and I think you'll find it an enjoyable consolation. You may not prefer it, but it's a lightning fast and very good box.