Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Landscape question...

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      10-01-2012 12:52 PM #1
      So took this yesterday, full version is 6200px wide. At any rate I made the focal point as the center of the stream to get the most in focus but now that I think about it on a print the foreground rocks would be most prominent and I probably should have focused on those instead. I have the chance to possibly reshoot this but even if I don't were here in Kauai for another 6 days and other shots will come up. Thoughts?

iso100, f/8, 25 seconds

Take my fusion hybrid, please! Blue 2013 titanium package, goes to the first person that will take it for only what is owed. PM me if serious.

I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

2. 10-01-2012 04:48 PM #2
      I'm not a landscape photographer, but I would think you would want a smaller aperture than f/8 so that the entire shot would be in focus.

Vehicles
      10-01-2012 11:24 PM #3
      Ive been thinking about it some more, and the reason I also picked the middle to be the focal point is the little stream is what I want to be the center piece, not the rocks in front, so I am happy with the result. I need to just stop second guessing myself after the fact.
      Take my fusion hybrid, please! Blue 2013 titanium package, goes to the first person that will take it for only what is owed. PM me if serious.

I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Vehicles
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI. 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6. 2015 Forester (Wife)
      10-02-2012 07:14 AM #4
      If I remember what I read in Understanding Exposure, the "acceptable focus" area extends further into the field than it does in front of it.
      Meaning you should focus about 1/3 of the way into the scene to get the most of it in focus.

Is that really a 25 second exposure? Was is really dark, or were you using a filter? Either way, the shot still looks underexposed to me.

If you're on a tripod, I'd stop down to at least F11, lengthen the exposure, and see what happens.
      Bro, do you even lift? When you only have 90 horsepower, you don't ever lift.
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI - 1996 GTI VR6 - YouTube Track Videos - flickr

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 01:50 PM #5
      It isn't as dark in the full size image, im not worried about the exposure. Yes, was with Hoya ND400.

Vehicles
      1990 Cozy Coupe
      10-02-2012 03:14 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      If I remember what I read in Understanding Exposure, the "acceptable focus" area extends further into the field than it does in front of it.
      yes

Vehicles
      Mk3 cabrio 1995 (90s yauy)
      10-08-2012 11:32 AM #7
      Ok first remove the filter because its destroying the color of the water, also you had trying to include way many elements in the scene and that doesnt look good with the lens you have.
      Remember this: if your pics are not good enough you are not close enough...and you have a filter in your lens :p hehehe
      Get closer to the water and use a 18mm 17mm 15mm and shoot, that way everything will look closer and more impressive.

Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI DSG Candy White, 2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) / 2011 JSW TDI 97 Jetta GT & 91 Passat wag
      10-08-2012 01:40 PM #8
      Something to consider, why focus on the water that is "out of focus" with the timelapse/long exposure photo?
      The rocks would have been better and sharper. I like the idea you have and that you are looking for feedback!
      2013 JSW TDI, Nav, Kessy - White, Pano roof, Canvas Back dog/cargo liner
      13% tint, 30% on Pano, rear spoiler, mud guards.
      Replaced - Trouble free 2011 Sportwagen TDi Salsa Red. Oo>=====v=====<oO/
      2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) Corsa Blue - 13% Tint, LED interior lighting, "Big Boy" horn, T badge. BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2

Vehicles
      Mk3 cabrio 1995 (90s yauy)
      10-08-2012 04:31 PM #9
      Yes, the focus always in elements that dont move