Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Scirocco running strange

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 89 E30
      10-01-2012 01:55 PM #1
      Ok. I'm not sure how to explain this but I have an 87 8v. I'll start with that the cold start works very badly it takes a while for it to able to idle at all. Like a few cranks. The first few would be crank fire up rev then die. And then will go crank fire and idle a little and then die. And then if I give some gas to idle a bit higher for like 5 seconds it will be ok to drive. But after it starts to warm up the idles to dip. Oh yea it idles high too. Like at 2k. So it starts to dip from 2 to like 1200. But still stays on. So when I drive it kinda like dips while driving. I'll be going and loss all power and the throttle won't response. Just the engine dipping to a real low idle and not doing anything til I clutch in and rev it. And once I get it going. It'll like jerk like the engine loading revs. We first thought it was a vacuum problem and it did have a lot of bad lines but I replaced almost all of them and it hasnt gotten better. I think if might be a fuel thing. Any ideas? Thanks. Of you need any more info let me know. Its strange to explain.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 89 E30
      10-01-2012 06:20 PM #2
      Oh and it doesn't seem to do it in the morning. And it will get so bad that the car will die and not start. But if I let it sit for a bit it will work for a bit. And it seems to do it more at lower revs

Vehicles
      2each'78s,81S,TTQ,S2 8V, race Corvette
      10-01-2012 07:26 PM #3
      Check the electrical plug on the CPR. Remove CPR and clean it/////tiny screens inside.

Check plate centering/ level on air metering plate.
      The feeling of immortality extends right up until the moment of impact.
      I cannot teach you how to be a Zen mechanic, grasshopper.
      The VW Scirocco, the worlds fastest ECONOMY car.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 89 E30
      10-01-2012 07:30 PM #4
      Ok. Cool thanks. What is the CPR?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      81 S, 84 GTI, 86 16V, 92 Cabby
      10-01-2012 09:52 PM #5
      Control Pressure Regulator or Warm Up Regulator, bolted to the front of the block. Common symptoms when they go bad are very rough running when cold that improves as the car warms up (few minutes tops).

Either dissassemble and clean or replace, or better yet, measure the cold and warm control and system pressures so you don't find yourself replacing expensive parts without a correct diagnosis
      (it sounds like some reading may be in order).

BTW, from what you describe your cold start valve is working fine.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 89 E30
      10-01-2012 09:58 PM #6
      Ok cool. I tried to find some stuff on cleaning it. Didn't find much.but I'll keep looking. And also today. It stopped driving. It'll crank up and then idle bad then idle good and when I try to put it in gear and drive it dies or if I let it idle for a few minutes it starts to dip in revs and die

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1987 Scirocco DLX
      10-02-2012 01:36 AM #7
      I would recheck for a vacuum leak - I had a torn intake boot, and have left the hose to the canister disconnected, losing idle.
      Check the idle screw, it has a seal that can become hard after 25 years. The passages in the throttle might need cleaning out.
      If the idle was just swinging up and down I would check out the idle control relay.

Will it run if you just unscrew the idle screw to a 2k idle?
      Last edited by MacGruber; 10-02-2012 at 01:40 AM.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 89 E30
      10-03-2012 07:35 PM #8
      So I got an update of info for you guys, so we thought it was the fuel filter which was very dirty and gross and such, so we replaced that. Now it idles better, but only when cold, once it starts to heat up it dies, and after a while it won't even start. I've checked most the vacuum lines again, and they seem good. I have not cleaned the CPR or the throttle body. I couldn't find a site with anything on cleaning the CPR. Any suggestions on what it could be now?

Vehicles
      2each'78s,81S,TTQ,S2 8V, race Corvette
      10-03-2012 07:52 PM #9
      Carefully remove the CPR. (front of block shiny aluminum looking brick thingie with two fuel injection lines to it and a green plug)

DO NOT BE HAM -FISTED....take your time...Sciroccohal says this is EASY#2 on a scale to 10

Banjo fittings, immediately wrapped in tin foil...don't loose the copper washers. Put them back in EXACTLY the same place.
      They are a different size..so no worries there.
      LOOK carefully at the ORIENTATION of the angles of the fittings/ ferrules...they can only be put back in the same places/angles.

Then remove the cpr.....allens...tough to get out? Put your allen driver in the allen head and whack it vertically with a hammer. put them back in with anti-sneeze. NOT ALLEN KEYS.

Then take it apart.....not a big deal here.

See the TINY screens behind the banjos....clean them with gummout.

Clean the inside with gummout.
      Clean the electrical connectors....shiny and bright.
      Clean the green plug too
      Check the wires to the green plug.

As they say, assembly is the opposite of removal.

THEN go back and check the BIG RUBBER BOOTS.....these are vacuum....check carefully. Remove them ...look and re-install.

You're giving the 8 valve guys a bad rep! KIDDING! 8v's NEVER BREAK!!!!

Buy the BENTLEY BOOK fer x-sake!
      The feeling of immortality extends right up until the moment of impact.
      I cannot teach you how to be a Zen mechanic, grasshopper.
      The VW Scirocco, the worlds fastest ECONOMY car.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      1987 Scirocco DLX
      10-06-2012 12:50 AM #10
      This is easier to try first: disconnect and plug unnecessary vacuum lines such as the line to the distributor and fuel vapor canister, the large line from the intake boot to the canister, and the vacuum line to the cylinder head (for the fuel injector air shrouds).

Those fuel injectors have plastic lower insulators that if broken allow too much airflow through the line.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 89 E30
      10-09-2012 04:34 PM #12
      So I got the thing taken apart, and I'm cleaning everything, but is there away to take out the screens without messing them up? In one of the threads posted above, which helped alot, thanks, the screens he took out look all beat up and such. And he doesn't talk about putting them back in or how to take them out. For now I'm just going to clean them and blow them out with an air compressor. Any suggestions thanks.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      87 Scirocco 89 E30
      10-09-2012 06:36 PM #13
      So I got it installed again, and does run better than before but it still is not running right. It still does that strange jerking, no power thing, when I push a lot on the gas. I was testing it in my backyard, and pushed all the pedal to the floor, and the revs dipped very low, and would just sit that way. I'm still thinking its a fuel problem, is that still a sign of a bad CPR? I just realized I forgot the check the ohms of it. Or could like my injectors be clogged, or another fuel line?
      Thanks

13. 10-11-2012 03:33 PM #14
      When I see the prices for a Bentley Repair manual, I dispair;

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...bentley+manual

I can see how it might put one off towards buying one, but we're not just bust'n yer chops when you see Hal advocate getting one of your own.

They can be had for much less than that link to Amazon shows, I find great deals on used manuals at Second Hand Shops, Used Book Stores, and the like... Pennies on the Dollar and 'buy local' has its benefits too.

otoh, you send me a plane ticket and I'll fly out with mine and check the Timing, Base Settings and Fuel Flow. Bet we can get it running...

You're going to need more than posting questions here, it can be done but takes a longer time.

See, all the other guys who came before have messed it up for those who later don't understand why they cant just get an answer to a question, just a little help for a fellow Sciroccian.

It's Battle Fatigue...

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1987 Scirocco DLX
      10-12-2012 07:52 AM #15
      http://vwtechnic.com/Technic/VWCabri...viceManual.pdf

I actually bought the PDF on ebay, didn't check vwvortex first.