Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 35

    Thread: How to improve Shift Feel

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 19th, 2012
      Location
      Tampa, FL
      Posts
      1,502
      Vehicles
      2012 RB 2DR .:R
      10-01-2012 05:17 PM #1
      Is a Short Shifter all that's needed to get rid of the bad shifting feel our cars come with stock? I'm not so concerned with the long throw as much as the "spongy or soft" feel and jerkiness during the shift as if its rubbing against plastic or something.

    2. Member sc0ttyb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 11th, 2007
      Location
      PHX
      Posts
      685
      Vehicles
      2013 Ibis White TTRS
      10-01-2012 05:18 PM #2
      Yup, it got rid of that on mine.

      (sent via mobile)
      2013 IW TTRS | 1990 TR Cabby Best Seller | 2012 CSG Golf R (sold) | 2008 TR R32 (sold) | 2006 UG GTI (sold)

    3. Member velocity196's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 19th, 2006
      Location
      Washington
      Posts
      5,514
      Vehicles
      2006 MK4 GTI, 2012 Golf R
      10-01-2012 05:25 PM #3
      You can get aluminum washers or spacers to replace the rubber one on the shifter bracket. Also people have reported that a lower mount insert has helped but I have not don't that yet. Prolly won't till I'm ready to order a full DLI mount setup.
      PTE5858 custom top mounted from ->Todd Cope's Horsepower Barn

    4. Member flieger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2000
      Location
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Posts
      5,824
      Vehicles
      2015 Q5 3.0T, 2012 CW Golf R OEM+, 1983 Rabbit GTI Sport, 1969 Transporter
      10-01-2012 06:39 PM #4
      A Short Shifter will not by its self remove the "sloppy/squishy" feel. I'd suggest the route I took. I used the 42DD kit for the end links and the Tyrol Sport on the top of the transmission. Those 2 items removed all of the "softness" from the basic transmission workings. I then added the HPA SS about a week later at 20% reduction. The transmission, in my opinion is now...perfect!

      So now the completed shift-linkage upgrade is:



      42DD End Link Bushings

      http://store.42draftdesigns.com/VW-S...-13_p_459.html



      Tyrolsport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings (SSBB)

      http://www.tyrolsport.com/engine/tra...-bushing-ssbb/



      HPA Short Shifter

      http://www.hpamotorsport.com/shifters.htm


      Last edited by flieger; 10-01-2012 at 06:45 PM.
      2015 Audi Q5 3.0T | 2012 CW Golf R OEM+ | 1983 Rabbit GTI Sport | 1969 Kombi
      Concours Motorsport

    5. Member velocity196's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 19th, 2006
      Location
      Washington
      Posts
      5,514
      Vehicles
      2006 MK4 GTI, 2012 Golf R
      10-01-2012 06:53 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by flieger View Post
      A Short Shifter will not by its self remove the "sloppy/squishy" feel. I'd suggest the route I took. I used the 42DD kit for the end links and the Tyrol Sport on the top of the transmission. Those 2 items removed all of the "softness" from the basic transmission workings. I then added the HPA SS about a week later at 20% reduction. The transmission, in my opinion is now...perfect!

      So now the completed shift-linkage upgrade is:



      42DD End Link Bushings

      http://store.42draftdesigns.com/VW-S...-13_p_459.html



      Tyrolsport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings (SSBB)

      http://www.tyrolsport.com/engine/tra...-bushing-ssbb/



      HPA Short Shifter

      http://www.hpamotorsport.com/shifters.htm

      Oh wow that must have been like going from a natural DD to a man made insert HAHA! Those 42DD inserts are pretty dope! I have IE shifter bracket bushings sitting on the parts shelf. Need to get those in someday!
      PTE5858 custom top mounted from ->Todd Cope's Horsepower Barn

    6. Member SoNgMaN's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2004
      Location
      Ndot
      Posts
      1,463
      Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.0TQM
      10-01-2012 07:51 PM #6
      Seriously the thread on the first page started hours earlier wasn't enough?

    7. Member ecirwin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 27th, 2009
      Location
      Lakewood, CO
      Posts
      2,003
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R 2Dr Black
      10-01-2012 08:15 PM #7
      My vote is for the Diesel Geek short shifter. I can't say how it compares to other solutions on the Golf, but it was like night and day. I will say that it takes a few thousand miles to really get buttery smooth, but once it does it is a dream. It was better right away, but it gets even better with time. I don't know how the cost compares to the other solutions, probably more, but I don't regret spending that money at all.
      2012 Golf R 2Dr Loaded DBP - Diesel Geek, Badgeless Grille & Fill, Delete R Badges, 42DD Downpipe, Autotech HPFP, UM Stg2, Huper Optik Tint, HPA Dogbone mount, Rebadge.com, BSH PR CAI, Twintercooler, LED Tails, TSW Interlaggos 19X8, CTS TOP & TP, Xpel Ultimate, DXD Stg2 Daily, USRT W/M

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2012
      Location
      Minneapolis,mn
      Posts
      463
      Vehicles
      2012 .:R, 2009 TT
      10-01-2012 08:15 PM #8
      Diesel Geek shifter solves all the issues in one package.

    9. Member flieger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2000
      Location
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Posts
      5,824
      Vehicles
      2015 Q5 3.0T, 2012 CW Golf R OEM+, 1983 Rabbit GTI Sport, 1969 Transporter
      10-01-2012 09:57 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by watsonj0 View Post
      Diesel Geek shifter solves all the issues in one package.
      And of you like an unweighted shifter...then that is for you...I however have never been a fan of loosing the counter weight. The feeling IMO dies when you take that simple thing from the equation.
      2015 Audi Q5 3.0T | 2012 CW Golf R OEM+ | 1983 Rabbit GTI Sport | 1969 Kombi
      Concours Motorsport

    10. Member Vickroy6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 27th, 2011
      Location
      Cleveland ( Bay Viilage)
      Posts
      164
      Vehicles
      2012 DBP Loaded 2-Door Stg II+ Golf R, 2011 CW Tiguan W/Sunroof & Nav
      10-01-2012 10:38 PM #10
      Golf R already comes with really good short shifter stock.
      Anything beyond is it overkill IMHO.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 19th, 2012
      Location
      Tampa, FL
      Posts
      1,502
      Vehicles
      2012 RB 2DR .:R
      10-01-2012 11:16 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Vickroy6 View Post
      Golf R already comes with really good short shifter stock.
      Anything beyond is it overkill IMHO.
      I like the stock throw in my opinion... but will just the 42DD End Link Bushings and the Tyrolsport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings (SSBB) remove the squishy soft feel?

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 19th, 2012
      Location
      Tampa, FL
      Posts
      1,502
      Vehicles
      2012 RB 2DR .:R
      10-01-2012 11:18 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by SoNgMaN View Post
      Seriously the thread on the first page started hours earlier wasn't enough?
      Which one? The one about a heavier knob? If its that one it has nothing to do with this one... and if I am not accused of opening a thread (as you are doing here) I get accused of hijacking. So its never a win... might as well do it my way then!

    13. Member flieger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2000
      Location
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Posts
      5,824
      Vehicles
      2015 Q5 3.0T, 2012 CW Golf R OEM+, 1983 Rabbit GTI Sport, 1969 Transporter
      10-01-2012 11:24 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by .:R-Newbie View Post
      I like the stock throw in my opinion... but will just the 42DD End Link Bushings and the Tyrolsport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings (SSBB) remove the squishy soft feel?
      Yes...I started with just those...and that is all you need to remove the squishy/soft feel. If that is all you are attempting to do...then that is your route.
      2015 Audi Q5 3.0T | 2012 CW Golf R OEM+ | 1983 Rabbit GTI Sport | 1969 Kombi
      Concours Motorsport

    14. Member BRSomm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2011
      Location
      Ontario, eh
      Posts
      770
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      10-02-2012 07:49 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Vickroy6 View Post
      Golf R already comes with really good short shifter stock.
      Anything beyond is it overkill IMHO.
      I thought so too but I'm happy I went with the mods below.

      Transformed the car in a great way!
      2012 CSG Golf R, United Motorsports Stage 2 Fully Loaded, HPA HPFP, APR turbo back exhaust, Forge Twintake, HPA 75 dogbone mount, Diesel Geek SS, P3Cars vent gauge
      SPEC stage III+ clutch/14 lb flywheel, LED tails with fog light, VWR lowering springs, TSW Bardo wheels, 18x8 et 45, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/40 R18
      Unibrace XB (red WitW edition!), HPA's Haldex Competition controller

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2012
      Location
      Minneapolis,mn
      Posts
      463
      Vehicles
      2012 .:R, 2009 TT
      10-02-2012 09:25 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by flieger View Post
      And of you like an unweighted shifter...then that is for you...I however have never been a fan of loosing the counter weight. The feeling IMO dies when you take that simple thing from the equation.
      The stock is crap and it includes the weight, the difference with the DG unit is amazing you really have ti try it to believe it. I have a 911 turbo with a $1000 billet shifter mech and cup cables and this DG unit shifts and feels better, yes it really is that good.
      Last edited by watsonj0; 10-02-2012 at 11:12 AM.

    16. Member DaLeadBull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 14th, 2011
      Location
      Northampton, PA
      Posts
      2,211
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      10-02-2012 10:59 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by watsonj0 View Post
      The stock is crap and it includes the weight, the difference with the DG unit is amazing you really have ti try it to believe it. I have a 911 turbo with a $1000 billet shifet mech and cup cables and this DG unit shifts and feels better, yes it really is that good.
      I'm really thinking about going with the DG short shifter too, the only question I have is, how smooth is it? How does is compare with stock in that regard?

    17. Member BRSomm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2011
      Location
      Ontario, eh
      Posts
      770
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      10-02-2012 02:25 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by DaLeadBull View Post
      I'm really thinking about going with the DG short shifter too, the only question I have is, how smooth is it? How does is compare with stock in that regard?
      It's a little notchy but feels very mechanically connected, if that makes sense. It really feels like you're putting it in to gear instead of just putting things close and letting things happen.
      2012 CSG Golf R, United Motorsports Stage 2 Fully Loaded, HPA HPFP, APR turbo back exhaust, Forge Twintake, HPA 75 dogbone mount, Diesel Geek SS, P3Cars vent gauge
      SPEC stage III+ clutch/14 lb flywheel, LED tails with fog light, VWR lowering springs, TSW Bardo wheels, 18x8 et 45, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/40 R18
      Unibrace XB (red WitW edition!), HPA's Haldex Competition controller

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 19th, 2012
      Location
      Tampa, FL
      Posts
      1,502
      Vehicles
      2012 RB 2DR .:R
      10-04-2012 01:44 PM #18
      Ok so I ordered the 42DD End Link Bushings and the Tyrolsport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings (SSBB).

      Debating on if I should order the HPA SS or not. Thoughts? Will the SS help reduce the rubbery shifting feel... or will that be addressed by the other two components I already bought and the SS only takes care of shortening the shift throws? Ive considered the Dog Bone mounts but after reading the issue on low end vibration with the A/C on and on 6th gear... I decided to pass.

      So will I notice a big difference with just the End Link Bushings and the Shifter Bracket Bushings?

    19. Member mwrmt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 28th, 2003
      Location
      Pitt Meadows, BC
      Posts
      352
      Vehicles
      2012 MKVI R
      10-04-2012 03:55 PM #19
      Just ordered the bushings from 42DD and will install them before getting the set from Tyrol as I want to see if I can notice the changes one at a time.
      even at your best as a man, you couldn't equal half of me - Sully Erna/Godsmack

      2012 Deep Black Pearl "R" w/H&R Ultra lows; APR Stage 2+(v3.31) w/Neuspeed CAI; APR HPFP; APR TBE; Neuspeed HI-FLO TOP; 42DD shifter bushings; TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings...

    20. Member flieger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2000
      Location
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Posts
      5,824
      Vehicles
      2015 Q5 3.0T, 2012 CW Golf R OEM+, 1983 Rabbit GTI Sport, 1969 Transporter
      10-04-2012 04:18 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by watsonj0 View Post
      The stock is crap and it includes the weight, the difference with the DG unit is amazing you really have ti try it to believe it. I have a 911 turbo with a $1000 billet shifter mech and cup cables and this DG unit shifts and feels better, yes it really is that good.
      For the record...since obviously I was not clear in past comments...I have tried the DG shifter option on a variety of different cars, AND I DON"T LIKE IT!...hence the reason I have the path above on my current car and in the past on my other VW's...this is not my first rodeo
      2015 Audi Q5 3.0T | 2012 CW Golf R OEM+ | 1983 Rabbit GTI Sport | 1969 Kombi
      Concours Motorsport

    21. 10-05-2012 01:07 AM #21
      I am kicking myself in the ass for not installing my Diesel Geek AS SOON as I got it. The difference is AMAZING. Everyone says it will get better as it breaks in too :-)

      I am installing the Tyrol Bushings tomorrow. It looks pretty simple and forward. Take the three 13MM nuts off, remove old bushings, put Tyrol ones in, then tighten down right?

      I HIGHLY recommend a short shifter.
      2012 Candy White R.... with STUFF :-)

    22. Member sc0ttyb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 11th, 2007
      Location
      PHX
      Posts
      685
      Vehicles
      2013 Ibis White TTRS
      10-05-2012 03:52 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatJohnGuy View Post
      I am kicking myself in the ass for not installing my Diesel Geek AS SOON as I got it. The difference is AMAZING.
      I procrastinated for something like a month after I got the shifter to install it and was kicking myself for not doing it ASAP.

      (sent via mobile)
      2013 IW TTRS | 1990 TR Cabby Best Seller | 2012 CSG Golf R (sold) | 2008 TR R32 (sold) | 2006 UG GTI (sold)

    23. 10-05-2012 04:00 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Vickroy6 View Post
      Golf R already comes with really good short shifter stock.
      Anything beyond is it overkill IMHO.
      What? How can you call that short? If you come from Jeep's shifter maybe the stock one feels "short" to you...

    24. 10-05-2012 04:06 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by .:R-Newbie View Post
      Ok so I ordered the 42DD End Link Bushings and the Tyrolsport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings (SSBB).

      Debating on if I should order the HPA SS or not. Thoughts? Will the SS help reduce the rubbery shifting feel... or will that be addressed by the other two components I already bought and the SS only takes care of shortening the shift throws? Ive considered the Dog Bone mounts but after reading the issue on low end vibration with the A/C on and on 6th gear... I decided to pass.

      So will I notice a big difference with just the End Link Bushings and the Shifter Bracket Bushings?
      You are trying to improve the plastic cable catchers but you are not solving the biggest problem- the fact that those things are plastic crap. Cancel your orders and get Diesel Geek.

    25. Member mwrmt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 28th, 2003
      Location
      Pitt Meadows, BC
      Posts
      352
      Vehicles
      2012 MKVI R
      10-05-2012 09:20 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatJohnGuy View Post
      I am kicking myself in the ass for not installing my Diesel Geek AS SOON as I got it. The difference is AMAZING. Everyone says it will get better as it breaks in too :-)

      I am installing the Tyrol Bushings tomorrow. It looks pretty simple and forward. Take the three 13MM nuts off, remove old bushings, put Tyrol ones in, then tighten down right?

      I HIGHLY recommend a short shifter.
      Quote Originally Posted by BC R View Post
      What? How can you call that short? If you come from Jeep's shifter maybe the stock one feels "short" to you...
      Quote Originally Posted by BC R View Post
      You are trying to improve the plastic cable catchers but you are not solving the biggest problem- the fact that those things are plastic crap. Cancel your orders and get Diesel Geek.

      I installed the S3 SS in my MKVI GTI and saw and liked the improvement right away. The best part was it was relatively inexpensive. The fact that the R comes with it stock is a bonus, so I'm curious to see what these 2 bushing kits can do. They're inexpensive and I'm not trying to overthink the whole SS idea.

      And remember, what works for you and what you like, is NOT going to be the same with everyone one, so it's impossible to tell someone that "this item" is the best.
      even at your best as a man, you couldn't equal half of me - Sully Erna/Godsmack

      2012 Deep Black Pearl "R" w/H&R Ultra lows; APR Stage 2+(v3.31) w/Neuspeed CAI; APR HPFP; APR TBE; Neuspeed HI-FLO TOP; 42DD shifter bushings; TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings...

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •