Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How to improve Shift Feel

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 RB 2DR .:R
      10-01-2012 05:17 PM #1
      Is a Short Shifter all that's needed to get rid of the bad shifting feel our cars come with stock? I'm not so concerned with the long throw as much as the "spongy or soft" feel and jerkiness during the shift as if its rubbing against plastic or something.

Vehicles
      2013 Ibis White TTRS
      10-01-2012 05:18 PM #2
      Yup, it got rid of that on mine.

(sent via mobile)
      2013 IW TTRS | 1990 TR Cabby Best Seller | 2012 CSG Golf R (sold) | 2008 TR R32 (sold) | 2006 UG GTI (sold)

Vehicles
      2006 MK4 GTI, 2012 Golf R
      10-01-2012 05:25 PM #3
      You can get aluminum washers or spacers to replace the rubber one on the shifter bracket. Also people have reported that a lower mount insert has helped but I have not don't that yet. Prolly won't till I'm ready to order a full DLI mount setup.
      PTE5858 custom top mounted from ->Todd Cope's Horsepower Barn

Vehicles
      2012 CW Golf R OEM+, 1983 Rabbit GTI Sport, 1969 Transporter
      10-01-2012 06:39 PM #4
      A Short Shifter will not by its self remove the "sloppy/squishy" feel. I'd suggest the route I took. I used the 42DD kit for the end links and the Tyrol Sport on the top of the transmission. Those 2 items removed all of the "softness" from the basic transmission workings. I then added the HPA SS about a week later at 20% reduction. The transmission, in my opinion is now...perfect!

So now the completed shift-linkage upgrade is:

42DD End Link Bushings

http://store.42draftdesigns.com/VW-S...-13_p_459.html

Tyrolsport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings (SSBB)

http://www.tyrolsport.com/engine/tra...-bushing-ssbb/

HPA Short Shifter

http://www.hpamotorsport.com/shifters.htm

Last edited by flieger; 10-01-2012 at 06:45 PM.
      1969 Kombi Transporter | 1983 Rabbit GTI Sport | 2012 CW Golf R OEM+
      Concours Motorsport

Vehicles
      2006 MK4 GTI, 2012 Golf R
      10-01-2012 06:53 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by flieger View Post
      A Short Shifter will not by its self remove the "sloppy/squishy" feel. I'd suggest the route I took. I used the 42DD kit for the end links and the Tyrol Sport on the top of the transmission. Those 2 items removed all of the "softness" from the basic transmission workings. I then added the HPA SS about a week later at 20% reduction. The transmission, in my opinion is now...perfect!

So now the completed shift-linkage upgrade is:

42DD End Link Bushings

http://store.42draftdesigns.com/VW-S...-13_p_459.html

Tyrolsport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings (SSBB)

http://www.tyrolsport.com/engine/tra...-bushing-ssbb/

HPA Short Shifter

http://www.hpamotorsport.com/shifters.htm

Oh wow that must have been like going from a natural DD to a man made insert HAHA! Those 42DD inserts are pretty dope! I have IE shifter bracket bushings sitting on the parts shelf. Need to get those in someday!
      PTE5858 custom top mounted from ->Todd Cope's Horsepower Barn

Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.0TQM
      10-01-2012 07:51 PM #6
      Seriously the thread on the first page started hours earlier wasn't enough?

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R 2Dr Black
      10-01-2012 08:15 PM #7
      My vote is for the Diesel Geek short shifter. I can't say how it compares to other solutions on the Golf, but it was like night and day. I will say that it takes a few thousand miles to really get buttery smooth, but once it does it is a dream. It was better right away, but it gets even better with time. I don't know how the cost compares to the other solutions, probably more, but I don't regret spending that money at all.
      2012 Golf R 2Dr Loaded DBP - Diesel Geek, Badgeless Grille & Fill, Delete R Badges, 42DD Downpipe, Autotech HPFP, UM Stg2, Huper Optik Tint, HPA Dogbone mount, Rebadge.com, BSH PR CAI, Twintercooler, LED Tails, TSW Interlaggos 19X8, CTS TOP & TP, Xpel Ultimate, DXD Stg2 Daily, USRT W/M

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 .:R, 2009 TT
      10-01-2012 08:15 PM #8
      Diesel Geek shifter solves all the issues in one package.

Vehicles
      10-01-2012 09:57 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by watsonj0 View Post
      Diesel Geek shifter solves all the issues in one package.
      And of you like an unweighted shifter...then that is for you...I however have never been a fan of loosing the counter weight. The feeling IMO dies when you take that simple thing from the equation.
      Concours Motorsport

Vehicles
      2012 DBP Loaded 2-Door Stg II+ Golf R, 2011 CW Tiguan W/Sunroof & Nav
      10-01-2012 10:38 PM #10
      Golf R already comes with really good short shifter stock.
      Anything beyond is it overkill IMHO.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      10-01-2012 11:16 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Vickroy6 View Post
      I like the stock throw in my opinion... but will just the 42DD End Link Bushings and the Tyrolsport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings (SSBB) remove the squishy soft feel?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      10-01-2012 11:18 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by SoNgMaN View Post
      Seriously the thread on the first page started hours earlier wasn't enough?
      Which one? The one about a heavier knob? If its that one it has nothing to do with this one... and if I am not accused of opening a thread (as you are doing here) I get accused of hijacking. So its never a win... might as well do it my way then!

Vehicles
      10-01-2012 11:24 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by .:R-Newbie View Post
      I like the stock throw in my opinion... but will just the 42DD End Link Bushings and the Tyrolsport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings (SSBB) remove the squishy soft feel?
      Yes...I started with just those...and that is all you need to remove the squishy/soft feel. If that is all you are attempting to do...then that is your route.
      Concours Motorsport

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      10-02-2012 07:49 AM #14
      I thought so too but I'm happy I went with the mods below.

Transformed the car in a great way!
      2012 CSG Golf R, APR 2+, APR HPFP, APR turbo back exhaust, Forge Twintake, HPA 75 dogbone mount, Diesel Geek SS, P3Cars vent gauge
      SPEC stage III+ clutch/14 lb flywheel, LED tails with fog light, VWR lowering springs, TSW Bardo wheels, 18x8 et 45, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/40 R18
      Unibrace XB (red WitW edition!), HPA's Haldex Competition controller

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 .:R, 2009 TT
      10-02-2012 09:25 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by flieger View Post
      And of you like an unweighted shifter...then that is for you...I however have never been a fan of loosing the counter weight. The feeling IMO dies when you take that simple thing from the equation.
      The stock is crap and it includes the weight, the difference with the DG unit is amazing you really have ti try it to believe it. I have a 911 turbo with a $1000 billet shifter mech and cup cables and this DG unit shifts and feels better, yes it really is that good.
      Last edited by watsonj0; 10-02-2012 at 11:12 AM.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      10-02-2012 10:59 AM #16
      The stock is crap and it includes the weight, the difference with the DG unit is amazing you really have ti try it to believe it. I have a 911 turbo with a $1000 billet shifet mech and cup cables and this DG unit shifts and feels better, yes it really is that good.
      I'm really thinking about going with the DG short shifter too, the only question I have is, how smooth is it? How does is compare with stock in that regard?

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      10-02-2012 02:25 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by DaLeadBull View Post
      I'm really thinking about going with the DG short shifter too, the only question I have is, how smooth is it? How does is compare with stock in that regard?
      It's a little notchy but feels very mechanically connected, if that makes sense. It really feels like you're putting it in to gear instead of just putting things close and letting things happen.
      2012 CSG Golf R, APR 2+, APR HPFP, APR turbo back exhaust, Forge Twintake, HPA 75 dogbone mount, Diesel Geek SS, P3Cars vent gauge
      SPEC stage III+ clutch/14 lb flywheel, LED tails with fog light, VWR lowering springs, TSW Bardo wheels, 18x8 et 45, Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/40 R18
      Unibrace XB (red WitW edition!), HPA's Haldex Competition controller

18. Member
      Vehicles
      10-04-2012 01:44 PM #18
      Ok so I ordered the 42DD End Link Bushings and the Tyrolsport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings (SSBB).

Debating on if I should order the HPA SS or not. Thoughts? Will the SS help reduce the rubbery shifting feel... or will that be addressed by the other two components I already bought and the SS only takes care of shortening the shift throws? Ive considered the Dog Bone mounts but after reading the issue on low end vibration with the A/C on and on 6th gear... I decided to pass.

So will I notice a big difference with just the End Link Bushings and the Shifter Bracket Bushings?

Vehicles
      2012 MKVI R
      10-04-2012 03:55 PM #19
      Just ordered the bushings from 42DD and will install them before getting the set from Tyrol as I want to see if I can notice the changes one at a time.
      even at your best as a man, you couldn't equal half of me - Sully Erna/Godsmack

2012 Deep Black Pearl "R" w/H&R Ultra lows; APR Stage 2+(v3.31) w/Neuspeed CAI; APR HPFP; APR TBE; Neuspeed HI-FLO TOP; 42DD shifter bushings; TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings...

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 04:18 PM #20
      The stock is crap and it includes the weight, the difference with the DG unit is amazing you really have ti try it to believe it. I have a 911 turbo with a $1000 billet shifter mech and cup cables and this DG unit shifts and feels better, yes it really is that good.
      For the record...since obviously I was not clear in past comments...I have tried the DG shifter option on a variety of different cars, AND I DON"T LIKE IT!...hence the reason I have the path above on my current car and in the past on my other VW's...this is not my first rodeo
      Concours Motorsport

21. 10-05-2012 01:07 AM #21
      I am kicking myself in the ass for not installing my Diesel Geek AS SOON as I got it. The difference is AMAZING. Everyone says it will get better as it breaks in too :-)

I am installing the Tyrol Bushings tomorrow. It looks pretty simple and forward. Take the three 13MM nuts off, remove old bushings, put Tyrol ones in, then tighten down right?

I HIGHLY recommend a short shifter.
      2012 Candy White R.... with STUFF :-)

Vehicles
      2013 Ibis White TTRS
      10-05-2012 03:52 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatJohnGuy View Post
      I am kicking myself in the ass for not installing my Diesel Geek AS SOON as I got it. The difference is AMAZING.
      I procrastinated for something like a month after I got the shifter to install it and was kicking myself for not doing it ASAP.

(sent via mobile)
      2013 IW TTRS | 1990 TR Cabby Best Seller | 2012 CSG Golf R (sold) | 2008 TR R32 (sold) | 2006 UG GTI (sold)

23. 10-05-2012 04:00 AM #23
      What? How can you call that short? If you come from Jeep's shifter maybe the stock one feels "short" to you...

24. 10-05-2012 04:06 AM #24
      Ok so I ordered the 42DD End Link Bushings and the Tyrolsport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings (SSBB).

Debating on if I should order the HPA SS or not. Thoughts? Will the SS help reduce the rubbery shifting feel... or will that be addressed by the other two components I already bought and the SS only takes care of shortening the shift throws? Ive considered the Dog Bone mounts but after reading the issue on low end vibration with the A/C on and on 6th gear... I decided to pass.

So will I notice a big difference with just the End Link Bushings and the Shifter Bracket Bushings?
      You are trying to improve the plastic cable catchers but you are not solving the biggest problem- the fact that those things are plastic crap. Cancel your orders and get Diesel Geek.

Vehicles
      2012 MKVI R
      10-05-2012 09:20 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatJohnGuy View Post
      I am kicking myself in the ass for not installing my Diesel Geek AS SOON as I got it. The difference is AMAZING. Everyone says it will get better as it breaks in too :-)

I am installing the Tyrol Bushings tomorrow. It looks pretty simple and forward. Take the three 13MM nuts off, remove old bushings, put Tyrol ones in, then tighten down right?

I HIGHLY recommend a short shifter.
      Quote Originally Posted by BC R View Post
      What? How can you call that short? If you come from Jeep's shifter maybe the stock one feels "short" to you...
      You are trying to improve the plastic cable catchers but you are not solving the biggest problem- the fact that those things are plastic crap. Cancel your orders and get Diesel Geek.

I installed the S3 SS in my MKVI GTI and saw and liked the improvement right away. The best part was it was relatively inexpensive. The fact that the R comes with it stock is a bonus, so I'm curious to see what these 2 bushing kits can do. They're inexpensive and I'm not trying to overthink the whole SS idea.

And remember, what works for you and what you like, is NOT going to be the same with everyone one, so it's impossible to tell someone that "this item" is the best.

2012 Deep Black Pearl "R" w/H&R Ultra lows; APR Stage 2+(v3.31) w/Neuspeed CAI; APR HPFP; APR TBE; Neuspeed HI-FLO TOP; 42DD shifter bushings; TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings...

26. Member
      Vehicles
      10-05-2012 10:01 PM #26
      CRAP... so did I do it all wrong? Should I return the two parts I ordered already?

27. 10-06-2012 05:30 AM #27
      CRAP... so did I do it all wrong? Should I return the two parts I ordered already?
      I would. Or if you really want to experience everything yourself you can spend the time to install what you ordered and then pull the whole thing out and install Diesel Geek to compare. Look at the picture in my build thread comparing side by side stock plastic to Diesel Geek solid aluminum. I would not trust this plastic crap at all. A properly adjusted Diesel Geek is awesome.

The same cannot be said about Diesel Geek skid plate- despite them telling me that I can put their plate on my R I would never dare to do that as it would severely disrupt transmission cooling.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line, '12 Golf R
      10-06-2012 06:23 AM #28
      I love the stock shifter. I can't stand short notchy shifters like on the ACR/new ZR1. With the HPA engine mount to tighten up the drivetrain slop, the stock shifter is perfect.

Vehicles
      2012 MKVI R
      11-02-2012 08:42 PM #29
      Just installed the TyrolSport bushings and I've gotta say there is a very noticeable difference with these installed too. Maybe not quite as much as the 42DD bushings, but I've been driving with them for about 2 weeks, so I really got too see a big change there.

Overall, for the relatively low price of a $100, these 2 changes were $$$ well spent.

My only gripe with the TS bushings was that there was no installation sheet. It is pretty straightforward, but a little prompting would have been nice without having to email someone for help. The install is a bit tedious/tight, depending on the size of your hands, but all went well.

Here's the bits:

TyrolSport bushings:

they're under the bolts

this one is the blurred bronze colour on the left behind the cable.

42DD bushings:

Last edited by mwrmt; 11-02-2012 at 08:56 PM.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      02-08-2013 01:45 PM #30
      I have the Diesel Geek shifter installed but am feeling a bit of play when in gear (about 3/4" to 1" Horizontal).

Do the Tyrol Shifter Bushings fix this problem, or are they useless to people who installed the DG shifter? It looks like the 42DD bushings are definitely already part of the DG shifter design.

I'm also waiting for some warm weather (and this Blizzard to pass) before I install the dogbone mount, hopefully that stiffens things up a bit too.

Thanks

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      02-15-2013 06:13 AM #31
      Any opinion on the Tryol bushings if I already have the DG shifter?

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R 2Dr Black
      02-15-2013 07:37 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by nchiarel View Post
      Any opinion on the Tryol bushings if I already have the DG shifter?
      I have the DG on my car and after about 15K miles with it, I would say my side to side play is about half of what you are claiming in yours. Sorry, no idea what might be the cause or if the Tyrol bushings would help.
      2012 Golf R 2Dr Loaded DBP - Diesel Geek, Badgeless Grille & Fill, Delete R Badges, 42DD Downpipe, Autotech HPFP, UM Stg2, Huper Optik Tint, HPA Dogbone mount, Rebadge.com, BSH PR CAI, Twintercooler, LED Tails, TSW Interlaggos 19X8, CTS TOP & TP, Xpel Ultimate, DXD Stg2 Daily, USRT W/M

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CW Golf R
      02-15-2013 08:12 AM #33
      I'm surprised no one has mentioned dogbone mount.
      Not only does this reduce the "slop" in shift feel, the engine has less torsional losses.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      RB 4D Base Golf R
      02-15-2013 08:59 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
      I love the stock shifter. I can't stand short notchy shifters like on the ACR/new ZR1. With the HPA engine mount to tighten up the drivetrain slop, the stock shifter is perfect.
      Quote Originally Posted by koma View Post
      I'm surprised no one has mentioned dogbone mount.
      Not only does this reduce the "slop" in shift feel, the engine has less torsional losses.
      Someone did mention it already.