Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: VW Warranty

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '10 VW CC 2.0T
      10-01-2012 06:53 PM #1
      I have the 3 year/36K warranty. My battery took a crap on me. The likelihood of this being replaced under warranty, would it be slim to none?

10-01-2012 07:00 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Abide View Post
      I have the 3 year/36K warranty. My battery took a crap on me. The likelihood of this being replaced under warranty, would it be slim to none?
      Depends, I believe the OEM battery is covered under a 2 yr/24k mile warranty.
      2011 Reflex Silver CC Sport - 4300k HID's, DRL's off, 35% Tint, Vag-Com tweaks, Footwell lights, LED interior lights, debadged, extra bag hook, euro switch, rear fogs, fog lights retrofit LINK, clear turns.

CC Windows w/key fob & Rain Closing - LINK

Vehicles
      '13 2.0TSI | '14 1.8TSI
      10-02-2012 02:35 AM #3
      different car but they covered my battery on my B6 passat @40k under new car warranty.

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC R-line, 2012 GLI Autobahn
      10-02-2012 07:45 AM #4
      VW's replacement is 2 years or 24k miles. Mine died at 27k and VWofA customer care told me to go F myself. Dealership stepped up and ended up replacing it and charging most of it back to VWofA. If it's close i'd see if they will step up. If not then bite the bullet. Stock batteries in cars these days seems to be crap anyway.
      2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners,ST Coilovers, Whiteline Adjustable Endlinks, Led interior lights, Apr Stage 1 Carbonio Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen lights, BrakePerformance Rotors, EBC Red Pads
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- APR Stage Intake, Cree LED DRL, Hoen lights, ST Coilovers,AWE TOP, VMR V710 Wheels, Gloss Black Roof Wrap

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '10 VW CC 2.0T
      10-02-2012 11:55 AM #5
      Thanks for the responses. It is two years/24K, as mentioned above.

I haven't had to take a car I've owned to a dealer or shop in close to five years. I forgot how unpleasant the experience is. The battery was dead and wouldnt take a jump and I fairly certain there is a draw from the door locks. This suspicion made me reluctant to buy a battery and have it drained again. I couldn't strip my modifications .

On the phone, the dealer repeatedly complimented the Carbonio . They did the 30K maintence, at 27K on the car, and didn't bleed the brakes because of the intake. I was able to get them to hand over the brake fluid for free.

The vacuum line for the boost gauge was in the engine bay awaiting the wiring for the gauge. Thank God I didn't have that installed or they would of blamed the gauge and not fix the draw from the power door locks. The brought up the line and asked if the gauge was installed before, even though I'm sure they already checked.

For the gauge I'm going to do the add a circuit deal, as I have read VW is notorious for module draws. I don't have an understanding of the add a circuit yet, so I'll have to research that. I think I just keep the same fuse that was there and add the desired fuse for the accessory line - 4 amp.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 2.0T
      10-02-2012 02:50 PM #6
      My battery lasted a little over 2 1/2 years, so I paid full replacement price. Unfortunately, I think the dealer put in the same kind of battery. Apparently, the Germans don't make good batteries.

7. 10-02-2012 03:39 PM #7
      My 2010 CC battery was replaced twice for free under warranty

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Too many
      10-02-2012 04:39 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by torpeau View Post
      My battery lasted a little over 2 1/2 years, so I paid full replacement price. Unfortunately, I think the dealer put in the same kind of battery. Apparently, the Germans don't make good batteries.
      They make perfectly fine batteries. VW just chooses to install a 2 Year Battery. They have for a long as I can remember. It's really an odd choice to save a few bucks on the battery.

When you buy 24/36/48/60 month batteries they are not just better warranties. They have larger plates in them that will last longer and are more expensive.

Your replacement is probably a typically 48 month battery.
      2011 CC Sport 6SPD MT Candy White with 4 holes in front.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2008.5 Passat VR6 4Motion/Sport Sedan
      10-02-2012 05:56 PM #9
      Don't know what happened to my '03 Passat and '06 Jetta and my current '08 Passat but I've managed to ride out every original VW-installed battery: 4 + 4 + 3 years (so far) each. Lucky?

Vehicles
      2010 2.0T 6MT CC Iron Grey
      10-02-2012 06:37 PM #10
      Close to 3 years on mine 2010, with 27K miles on it when it died a sudden death. I ripped the battery out and just took it to a tire/battery place and, although they tested and seemed like it would take a charge, I simply replaced it.

Yes, VW told me 2Y/24M only.

The Accord's batteries lasted about 3 years. But I'm in Texas so they get very hot.

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 07:27 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by gtaylor0 View Post
      Don't know what happened to my '03 Passat and '06 Jetta and my current '08 Passat but I've managed to ride out every original VW-installed battery: 4 + 4 + 3 years (so far) each. Lucky?
      Well you just screwed yourself. Watch sometime in the next week your going to need a replacement just because you said that.
      Quote Originally Posted by Pookie64 View Post
      Close to 3 years on mine 2010, with 27K miles on it when it died a sudden death. I ripped the battery out and just took it to a tire/battery place and, although they tested and seemed like it would take a charge, I simply replaced it.

Yes, VW told me 2Y/24M only.

The Accord's batteries lasted about 3 years. But I'm in Texas so they get very hot.
      Wonder if 27k miles is the battery death mark lol
      2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners,ST Coilovers, Whiteline Adjustable Endlinks, Led interior lights, Apr Stage 1 Carbonio Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen lights, BrakePerformance Rotors, EBC Red Pads
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- APR Stage Intake, Cree LED DRL, Hoen lights, ST Coilovers,AWE TOP, VMR V710 Wheels, Gloss Black Roof Wrap

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '10 VW CC 2.0T
      10-02-2012 09:49 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by dj_cronic_metal View Post
      Wonder if 27k miles is the battery death mark lol
      I was within less than a hundred miles of 27K.

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 10:04 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Abide View Post
      I was within less than a hundred miles of 27K.
      I was about 27,200 I believe. I **** bricks when VWofA told me my battery at 1 year and 1 month old would not be covered because I was 3k over the mark because of a trip I took. Made sure I failed anybody I came in contact with for their little survey's. No helping me, no bonus for you.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2008.5 Passat VR6 4Motion/Sport Sedan
      10-03-2012 06:13 AM #14
      Well you just screwed yourself. Watch sometime in the next week your going to need a replacement just because you said that.
      haha very possibly. But I can't screw myself retroactively can I, point being VW apparently did not put 2-year batteries into their cars. Maybe they've started to, who knows, cost cutting and all. Anywho, I've got my roadside assistance number in a handy location.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 07:33 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by gtaylor0 View Post
      haha very possibly. But I can't screw myself retroactively can I, point being VW apparently did not put 2-year batteries into their cars. Maybe they've started to, who knows, cost cutting and all. Anywho, I've got my roadside assistance number in a handy location.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 R-Line
      10-03-2012 09:23 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
      They make perfectly fine batteries. VW just chooses to install a 2 Year Battery. They have for a long as I can remember. It's really an odd choice to save a few bucks on the battery.

When you buy 24/36/48/60 month batteries they are not just better warranties. They have larger plates in them that will last longer and are more expensive.

Your replacement is probably a typically 48 month battery.
      Smaller, cheaper, and the real kicker, lighter. That is why.

Vehicles
      '13 CC Sport Plus
      10-03-2012 12:36 PM #17
      VW's replacement is 2 years or 24k miles. Mine died at 27k and VWofA customer care told me to go F myself. Dealership stepped up and ended up replacing it and charging most of it back to VWofA. If it's close i'd see if they will step up. If not then bite the bullet. Stock batteries in cars these days seems to be crap anyway.

Hmm.... If warranty is the issue, it seems it would make sense to just run the battery down to nothing right at about 23k and then have the dealership warranty a new one. The 27k mileage thing sounds like nothing more than a loophole for them. Kinda reminds me of my recent experience with BMW, they will only warranty oil changes every 15,000 miles!