Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Look what Internet Meme sent me in the mail today!

Vehicles
      1995 Sport 90 Quattro, 1991 Coupé Quattro
      10-01-2012 11:54 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
      Come by and look but judging from the flanges it looks a little more tricky than I thought. Plus we have to line up the stuff perfectly because any tension on the turbo housing means goodbye turbos. And I am not *that* keen on an LM turbo upgrade right now. I should have called you today to see if you were around.
      I must have felt the change in the force. I was thinking this stuff should have been in .

Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      Not that I pretend to know anything at all of what I'm talking about, but I figured by now it would be much more beneficial to spec out a newer brand of turbo's with better technology to reduce spool times etc.... I figure the technology of the old LM turbo's would be far out dated. Of course, there's the authenticity factor, but as you seem to drive as much as well as conserve your car, maybe you'd consider alternatives.
      That is a good point however there are a couple important things to note. On something like my Audi, it's okay to go outside the box and find my own turbo applications but on one of Ferrari's limited supercars, you don't want to really do that as much, even though it may be reversible. The other part of that is then you might have to change ECU's or possibly intercoolers. There are guys out there who make it their mission to constantly tweak and refine F40s so it's not like if anyone needs to reinvent the wheel which brings me to my second point:

The second thing is that since the F40 was raced in competition long beyond it's final production date (it was winning IMSA races six or seven years after the last one left the factory) and there were several evolutions of the turbos and intercoolers, if I remember correctly. Consequently, there are more modern turbos that are suitable replacements that you can get from Italy. I don't know if they have to matched with different intercoolers and ECU's or what but I know that they're available. I know that I can send the whole car to Michelotto and they can turn it into an F40 GTE but that would probably cost as much as the car in the first place. Besides as a street car, it's pretty sweet as is.
      The LM units are ball bearing so, at best, you may be able to gain from a better compressor design (there are people who could be talked into designing an upgraded wheel). EFRs could be cool but with something so refined you'd probably gain more from modern tires and dampeners.
      Ed Hankin *All posts subject to inaccuracy due to multi-tasking and autocorrect.
      1PissedOff90 1995 Sport 90 Quattro with too much to list
      1991 Audi Coupe Quattro 7aT Holset, VEMS, ETC

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      10-01-2012 11:58 PM #107
      I hereby proclaim OP, King of TCL

Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else, '73 Carrera RS, and Carrera 4
      10-02-2012 12:02 AM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by Porridgehead View Post
      Sherpa,
      There are important lessons to be garnered from Internetmeme's original thread.

1. He burned TCL very badly because we wanted to believe.
      2. TCL has a disproportionately long memory.
      3. There are very clever people here who have secret ninja Jeet Kune Do researching skills.
      4. TCL doesn't forgive a liar and a faker.
      5. TCL is filled with wankers and jerks.

The last one is incidental to the rest, but, as you've discovered, it is the case.

That said, you make a hell of an entrance. I can't wait to see the follow up.

Welcome to The Car Lounge. Don't let the idjits bring you down.
      I'm about halfway through that thread now. I'm starting to understand what the fuss was about.

And just to be clear - fun, games, and bagel pics aside - GTurboI (Derek) who is the Ferrari brand manager at the local F dealership, can vouch that I own that car. Not only has the car been there for some service work but they had to do the VIN verification when I bought it so that I could register it in Colorado. Also, Ferrari keeps track of what cars are where. I have a log in at the Ferrari.com and when I log in, it shows the pic of my F40, any notifications from the factory, and what was the last work it received from the dealership with the date and mileage. They make it everyone's job to know what's what.

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 99 Viggen Coupe
      10-02-2012 12:17 AM #109
      Also, Ferrari keeps track of what cars are where. I have a log in at the Ferrari.com and when I log in, it shows the pic of my F40, any notifications from the factory, and what was the last work it received from the dealership with the date and mileage. They make it everyone's job to know what's what.
      Is this standard practice for all Ferraris or just the halo cars?
      Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      My 16v Swap thread
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.

Vehicles
      2011 Genesis 3.8 R-spec
      10-02-2012 12:18 AM #110
      why would you want an old 80's slow car when you could have a 7 second honda?
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      He did this at 22 old. He is world strongest man. President Obama ordered him to stop but truth must come out. Buy silver in middle of week.

Vehicles
      1990 E30 M3
      10-02-2012 12:21 AM #111
      The bagel was a nice touch but you had us at "Hey TCL. Go F### Yourselves!"

Seriously. That's legendary veracity.
      --Measure with mike, mark with chalk, cut with axe, pound to fit, paint to match

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      10-02-2012 12:23 AM #112
      Well... This is refreshing.

And as if you felt the need to tell TCL to "Go F**k itself." 3/4's of the posters in this thread have likely fapped to your car by now. Now THAT is irony.

I have an odd obsession with the F40. I doubt i'll ever be able to afford one but if by some miracle i'm able to pull it off in my lifetime I will.

We'd like to see some videos of this thing if you get the chance. And I appreciate a good sense of humour so this was awesome.

Also, i'm not sure why everyone calls it "nutswinging". We'd be "nutswingers" if this was some bull**** trend. The car is a legend and the O.P. had an awesome approach to a funny situation. This is gonna go down in TCL history for sure.

10-02-2012 12:25 AM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Another douche!
      So predictable.
      I changed my avatar so not to be confused with La Ferrari

Vehicles
      65 Volvo 1800S, 12 GLI Autobahn
      10-02-2012 12:26 AM #114
      This thread is nothing but win.

Nice apartment-size combo washer/dryer Good to see you're priorities are in the right place.

10-02-2012 12:26 AM #115
      What year is your car and how many miles does it have? Can you tell us a little more history about it? What are Ferraris have you owned and what do you like about the F40? Thanks!

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      10-02-2012 12:34 AM #116
      Now that we have a real one I bet people are gonna think they can try bull****ting us again.

flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

Vehicles
      2003 Silverstone Grey 1.8T GTI|1990 Tornado Red G60 Corrado |2012 3.6L M/T Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
      10-02-2012 12:45 AM #117
      Hey I go to the same detail guy!!

Michael does an awesome job.
      Last edited by Hidrorayo; 10-02-2012 at 12:48 AM.
      ---------------------
      Bleifrei ------------
      Unleaded ----------
      Sans Plomb -------
      SpoonfedTuning

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 01:20 AM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by mellbergVWfan View Post
      Is this standard practice for all Ferraris or just the halo cars?
      Honestly, I'm not sure. I never had anything like this with my 355 or 328, although on my log in Ferrari makes a note that I owned those cars, complete s/n's and the ownership period.

Quote Originally Posted by RzinDubs View Post
      What year is your car and how many miles does it have? Can you tell us a little more history about it? What are Ferraris have you owned and what do you like about the F40? Thanks!
      I have wanted an F40 since I was 12 or 14 or so. As I told my girlfriend about it: it's the car God would make if he made a car.

I had a 360 and 355 for a while, and ordered a 430 new but was going through a divorce when it came so the dealership bought it from me at a premium. I have never really like the new Ferraris that came after the 355 because they just feel too sterile. They're so competent and dumbed down that anyone can drive them. Consequently they only feel really Ferrari-like at crazy speeds. Now, I'm starting to change that thinking a little bit but still prefer that 80's and 90's era of car.

I realized that it was more fun to drive a rawer, slower car fast than a refined fast car slow. So I had a black 328 GTB for 7 years which is a fantastic car. It really has a lot of the feel and things that I love about the F40 and sometimes I regret selling it. If it weren't for the F40, I would never have sold it but I thought that taking care of two 20+ year old Ferraris would be a little too much for me as I'm pretty OCD. The GTB was raw and connected and robust, which is everything that the F40 is. It doesn't matter if you're going 15 mph or 150 mph, the car just feels special. The difference is that the F40 is all of that on steroids. You just roll down the street in second gear then step on the gas and the turbos spool up and the back tires start sliding around underneath you. I'm sure that there are a million hot rods that do this but it's a lot more than just the power - it's about the feel. I can't really describe it; it's just special. It's loaded with feel. The car has no power anything: no power steering, no traction control, not even power assisted brakes or ABS. You have to really stand on the brakes to make it stop. Lots of people complain about them but it's the only reminder sometimes that you're in a car that can kill you if you're not respectful.

They could only make a car like that one time. Only when they could make it fast enough with enough technology to be truly scary but before all the safety regulations to keep you from killing yourself. Ferrari really limited who they sold them to initially. Only race car drivers and special clients and you had to go pick it up at the factory to get a tutorial on how to drive it before you took possession. They relaxed that over time and it took 3 years for them to homologate them for the US and I think only 211 US cars were made.

I have a late 1990. I'm the third owner. It was sold new in Texas and was there until 1999 when it went to NorCal. Long story but I have been trying to buy it since 2006 and while the owner agreed to give me first rights to the car some time around then he wasn't ready to part with it until earlier this year. He called me and said that he thought the time had come to sell it as he wasn't driving it and not taking care of it and was feeling guilty about it. We came to an agreement on price and he gave me a couple of weeks to liquidate some things and do some rearranging so that it could happen. Next thing I know, it's on its way here.

One of the reasons that I wanted this particular car is because I knew so much of its history and where it was. I had also gotten to drive it a lot prior to buying it and I really bonded with it and never did I think that a car was more perfect for than this particular car. Of course, it sat a lot over the last few years and it was going to take some going through but that's a better scenario than one that was really ridden hard and put away wet. Plus it had some miles on it so I felt like I could really drive it and enjoy it. They're ****ty to own when you don't drive them because they're especially needy and what's the point of owning one if you're not going to drive it. They make for VERY expensive 1:1 models.

When it finally did come, McStiff drove over and we got it off the truck and started dialing it in. It didn't even start when it came because the truck driver left the hazards on and killed the battery. Anyways, a quick trip to AutoZone and we had it going. It's just gotten better and better. I flushed all the fluids, changed the air filters, fixed a couple of small issues like a non operating rad fan (wire came out of one of the relays, easy fix), saggy headliner (10 minutes to remove and take to an upholsterer and then 20 min install), and took it to my detailer for a proper polishing and sealing. Other than that, it's been a great car.

Long post but I hope that answers it.
      Last edited by Sherpa23F; 10-02-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 01:21 AM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by Hidrorayo View Post
      Hey I go to the same detail guy!!

Michael does an awesome job.
      He sure does! Too funny!

Vehicles
      2003 Silverstone Grey 1.8T GTI|1990 Tornado Red G60 Corrado |2012 3.6L M/T Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
      10-02-2012 01:52 AM #120
      He sure does! Too funny!
      When I first met Michael he showed me some of the before/after pics of cars he has done, the F40 was the only car that really caught my eye.

Then seeing this thread I immediately thought thats the same F40 that Michael worked on. haha

Just like any car guy the F40 is my dream car.

Next time you're in town let me know I would love to see it.
      ---------------------
      Bleifrei ------------
      Unleaded ----------
      Sans Plomb -------
      SpoonfedTuning

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 02:11 AM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by Hidrorayo View Post
      When I first met Michael he showed me some of the before/after pics of cars he has done, the F40 was the only car that really caught my eye.

Then seeing this thread I immediately thought thats the same F40 that Michael worked on. haha

Just like any car guy the F40 is my dream car.

Next time you're in town let me know I would love to see it.
      Michael is really the best. That Ferrari paint from that era is so crappy. Michael really did an amazing job turning it around although the real miracle was with the Audi. Anyways, he is amazing.

17. 10-02-2012 02:42 AM #122
      A whole stack of F40 LM parts? Internet Meme, no way! You are WAY too nice to me!

Any shots of the bike that Shamal is on?

Vehicles
      2014 Jetta Sportwagen
      10-02-2012 03:15 AM #123
      i have nothing interesting to contribute. just subscribing.
      good decisions - '05 s4, '05 sti, '07 wrx, '07 & '08gsxr-600s, '03 20th gti #1, '12 jetta
      bad mistakes - '04 frontier s/c, '04 tt 3.2l, '03 tdi wagon, '03 20th gti #2

Vehicles
      98 BMW M3
      10-02-2012 04:06 AM #124
      Congrats, amazing car.

Vehicles
      1988 Mercedes-Benz 190e, 1970 VW Lowlight pickup, 1990 Toyota mr2 n/a
      10-02-2012 04:33 AM #125

it, ........ it's beautiful.
      ಠ_ಠ

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      10-02-2012 04:52 AM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      The OP, obviously, has priorities He owns the F40 for shti's sake.

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      10-02-2012 06:36 AM #127
      Here's one of my old car in the same place. That's my detailer's garage. My cars would not look nearly as good if he didn't get them every 6 months. Notice how clean the cars look?

Droooooool...My 2 favorite F-cars
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

Vehicles
      '12 Volkswagen GTI, '07 Audi A3
      10-02-2012 07:09 AM #128
      Great thread, great story, great car. Awesome car sir!
      Had/Have 1999.5 Jetta | 2006 GTI | 1991 GTI | 2004 A4 | 2008 R32 | 2012 GTI | 2012 Escape | 2007 A3

Quote Originally Posted by jrmcm View Post
      Because inflammatory arguments based on meaningless speculation is what we do around here.

24. 10-02-2012 07:39 AM #129
      Haha, I remember the first thread, and nobody believed him....

Its nice to see the F40 is actually being driven and appreciated, rather than sitting in some showcase collecting dust.
      Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofers View Post
      You must be a professional troll in real life.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      I'm more amused by the scientific formulas people bring up to justify why a BRZ lost to a Megane. Like really? All that college education you paid for and a BRZ is that important to you to go into some asinine explanation about how it's still a good track car?

Vehicles
      Japanese Toaster
      10-02-2012 07:42 AM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      Nice apartment-size combo washer/dryer Good to see you're priorities are in the right place.
      That's the detailors garage.

Vehicles
      '11 MBZ C300 4MAT, '00 S4, '99 A4 2.8QM
      10-02-2012 07:42 AM #131
      Wow. Christmas came early for you!
      Signature blank...

27. 10-02-2012 08:00 AM #132
      You should have bought a GTO.

"The Sebring is an extraordinary car. Ugly to behold and hateful to drive, it is not cheap, elegant, comfortable, practical, prestigious, clever, economical, luxurious, well designed, well thought out or, if the rental car I drove in America this year is anything to go by, especially well made either." - Jeremy Clarkson

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS
      10-02-2012 08:16 AM #133
      Have you ever taken it to the track/will you?
      03 Jetta GLS

10-02-2012 08:21 AM #134
      This is the second or third time the F40 has come up, but still no proof of the Honda Fit. I'm calling bull****.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      10-02-2012 08:22 AM #135
      A car that truly made my young self drool back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
      "I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food."
      Ukemafia.com

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 08:32 AM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by .:bigred12 View Post
      Have you ever taken it to the track/will you?
      I took it to the track once. Just did a few laps to get a feel. I actually have real track purpose stuff (not cars) so driving a street car, even one like this, doesn't feel as fun. That said for brief time I was on the track with it, it was really good. I just don't ever feel like street cars make super great track cars. On twisty back roads, however, this car is the greatest.

10-02-2012 08:35 AM #137
      You left out the part where I made a post about suggestions for a new daily driver only to get, when people saw the cars in my profile, the most retarded, vitriolic posts calling me out as some Internet Meme and a troller and other stuff. There are people on here that know who I am and they did chime in but it took me while to figure out what the whole Internet Meme crap was. In fact, I have only read the frist 5 posts and the last 5 in that thread. One of these days I will find it again and read the whole thing.
      I missed your other thread then. But I was post #2 in the InternetMeme thread (see sig). It's not a bragging point....I just find it funny
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 08:36 AM #138
      I have to be honest: after finally reading the whole thing, that Internet Meme thread is really disturbing to me. When people were bringing it up in my first thread, I was under the impression that it happened years ago but it was only this summer. I didn't go back and look at his post history but it sounds like some people here talked to him offline? But nobody knows who he is? I will do a little searching on Fchat later tonight when I have time and see if anyone there knows anything about it. Somebody has to know something.

I already did a search for "curse the gods" and came up empty.

For what it's worth, the biggest liar that I ever knew was from London or Surrey or something. Made up wild stories about himself and his past and just could never ever say a truthful word. Beyond professional help and maybe the same with this other guy too.
      Last edited by Sherpa23F; 10-02-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Vehicles
      2013 WRX 2012 Mazda5
      10-02-2012 08:39 AM #139

10-02-2012 08:40 AM #140
      I have to be honest. After finally reading the whole thing, that Internet Meme thread is really disturbing to me. When people were bringing it up in my first thread, I was under the impression that it happened years ago but it was only this summer. I didn't go back and look at his post history but it sounds like some people here talked to him offline? But nobody knows who he is? I will do a little searching on Fchat later tonight when I have time and see if anyone there knows anything about it. Somebody has to know something.
      People talked to him via private message, but never outside of this forum as far as I know.

I recall an admin saying that the IP address he was signing in from was in the Baltimore, MD area.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast