Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Results 141 to 175 of 871

    Thread: Look what Internet Meme sent me in the mail today!

    1. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 26th, 1999
      Location
      The Blueass State
      Posts
      22,390
      10-02-2012 08:45 AM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
      a quick trip to AutoZone
      So those parts didn't really come from Internet Meme afterall! You sir, have been called out

      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

      James May claims that he knows when he is driving a car with character and panache because a fizzing sensation engulfs the root of his penis. -Clarkson

    2. Member Sherpa23F's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 21st, 2012
      Location
      Rocky Mountains
      Posts
      414
      Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else, '73 Carrera RS, and Carrera 4
      10-02-2012 08:52 AM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      I missed your other thread then. But I was post #2 in the InternetMeme thread (see sig). It's not a bragging point....I just find it funny
      Well, after reading the whole Internet Meme thread last night, I do understand a little bit better why I got all the hate mail. Still, though, if people were that concerned the mods could always check IP's or log in info or things like that to see what's what.

    3. Member Sherpa23F's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 21st, 2012
      Location
      Rocky Mountains
      Posts
      414
      Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else, '73 Carrera RS, and Carrera 4
      10-02-2012 09:21 AM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by SVTDanny View Post
      This is the second or third time the F40 has come up, but still no proof of the Honda Fit. I'm calling bull****.
      Call it all you want. You're still wrong.


    4. Member mhjett's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 16th, 2000
      Location
      Northern Virginia
      Posts
      7,308
      Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      10-02-2012 09:28 AM #144
      Great story about your car's history and how you got it, thanks for sharing.

      This line was great -

      Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
      ...

      They make for VERY expensive 1:1 models.

      ...
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5 [current]
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

    5. 10-02-2012 09:48 AM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
      Well, after reading the whole Internet Meme thread last night, I do understand a little bit better why I got all the hate mail. Still, though, if people were that concerned the mods could always check IP's or log in info or things like that to see what's what.
      What you wouldn't glean from that thread was the breadth, consistency, and history of his posts. He'd been posting for over a year. He posted regularly in the OT section. In the purchase threads he posted of expensive leather briefcases, expensive knives, expensive everything. He mentioned his house, and posted a picture. When it came up months later he didn't miss a beat. He posted about his pregant girlfriend, and even matched up the timeline somewhat correctly. In the purchase thread I mentioned picking up a Shun chef knife. Months after he posted about them he chimes in and says "I absolutely love mine." Now, he could've owned them sure. My point is that he was consistent. He had a very thorough back story and kept at it. There were obviously missteps on his part along the way, but they were rare enough that they were drowned out by his story's overall consistency. I think it was Momus who finally outed him by searching the picture of the house he wanted to buy. It was nowhere near the geographic area he was talking about, and it was far above a believable budget for a 27 year old investment banker.

    6. Member Sherpa23F's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 21st, 2012
      Location
      Rocky Mountains
      Posts
      414
      Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else, '73 Carrera RS, and Carrera 4
      10-02-2012 09:51 AM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by Mintyy View Post
      Any shots of the bike that Shamal is on?
      I can't put a pic up. That's a prototype of a new model from a company I help develop products for. They did just drop the production model at Interbike but there shouldn't be pics on the internet of this one until 2013.

    7. Member Sherpa23F's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 21st, 2012
      Location
      Rocky Mountains
      Posts
      414
      Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else, '73 Carrera RS, and Carrera 4
      10-02-2012 09:57 AM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      What you wouldn't glean from that thread was the breadth, consistency, and history of his posts. He'd been posting for over a year. He posted regularly in the OT section. In the purchase threads he posted of expensive leather briefcases, expensive knives, expensive everything. He mentioned his house, and posted a picture. When it came up months later he didn't miss a beat. He posted about his pregant girlfriend, and even matched up the timeline somewhat correctly. In the purchase thread I mentioned picking up a Shun chef knife. Months after he posted about them he chimes in and says "I absolutely love mine." Now, he could've owned them sure. My point is that he was consistent. He had a very thorough back story and kept at it. There were obviously missteps on his part along the way, but they were rare enough that they were drowned out by his story's overall consistency. I think it was Momus who finally outed him by searching the picture of the house he wanted to buy. It was nowhere near the geographic area he was talking about, and it was far above a believable budget for a 27 year old investment banker.
      Well, I honestly don't know much about the high paced investment banking world of NYC and London but I did have to go back and reread the missteps and where Momus outed him because I didn't catch it at first. I guess I'm also not as worldly (Shun chef knife?) to pick up on some of the nuances about it all. But the whole thing is weird. He just stopped posting it looks like. No response, no explanation, no nothing. What was the end game? I don't get it.

      I did send that thread to one of the moderators at Fchat for him to see if he knows anything about it or if he has an idea of who it might be.

    8. Member Twistedsix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2004
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      1,248
      Vehicles
      08 S2R1000 Ducati Monster
      10-02-2012 10:09 AM #148
      Not gonna lie... best bagel table ever! now back to reading the rest of this thread
      Quote Originally Posted by Motorwerks View Post
      Its not just AR15.com.... its the rest of the internet.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      Cleveland
      Posts
      8,979
      10-02-2012 10:09 AM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by stascom View Post
      The OP, obviously, has priorities He owns the F40 for shti's sake.
      Don't get your panties in a bunch. It was a compliment to the OP. He doesn't really care if his carpet is torn since he owns an F40. That's doing it right

    10. Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      14,933
      Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      10-02-2012 10:14 AM #150
      Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
      They make for VERY expensive 1:1 models.
      They make very expensive 1:18 models even. I got a really nice Kyosho earlier this year that wasn't cheap.

      And if people keep posting the "we're not worthy" thing you're gonna become TCL's pope.


    11. 10-02-2012 10:16 AM #151
      Quote Originally Posted by Mcstiff View Post
      I must have felt the change in the force. I was thinking this stuff should have been in .





      The LM units are ball bearing so, at best, you may be able to gain from a better compressor design (there are people who could be talked into designing an upgraded wheel). EFRs could be cool but with something so refined you'd probably gain more from modern tires and dampeners.

      So speaking of dampers, what suspension does the standard F40 come with vs what the F40 LM comes with?

      I thought it funny that you mentioned that you got the F40 running after getting a quick trip to autozone, was it to recharge the drained battery?
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

    12. Member NOLA_VDubber's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 23rd, 2007
      Location
      New Orleans
      Posts
      5,221
      Vehicles
      98 M3
      10-02-2012 10:24 AM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
      Well, I honestly don't know much about the high paced investment banking world of NYC and London but I did have to go back and reread the missteps and where Momus outed him because I didn't catch it at first. I guess I'm also not as worldly (Shun chef knife?) to pick up on some of the nuances about it all. But the whole thing is weird. He just stopped posting it looks like. No response, no explanation, no nothing. What was the end game? I don't get it.

      I did send that thread to one of the moderators at Fchat for him to see if he knows anything about it or if he has an idea of who it might be.

      It's a truly fascinating and bizarre story. I think the vast majority of us just wanted to believe you were a reincarnated InternetMeme so that we could have some closure to the whole ordeal.

      Anyway, what a wondeful car. Congrats!

    13. Member Sherpa23F's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 21st, 2012
      Location
      Rocky Mountains
      Posts
      414
      Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else, '73 Carrera RS, and Carrera 4
      10-02-2012 10:27 AM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      So speaking of dampers, what suspension does the standard F40 come with vs what the F40 LM comes with?

      I thought it funny that you mentioned that you got the F40 running after getting a quick trip to autozone, was it to recharge the drained battery?
      I'm not sure. I've never gotten to scrutinize a real LM close enough to see.

      The battery we took in was way gone - 0% charge and untestable.. I bought a new battery instead and it's been great.
      Last edited by Sherpa23F; 10-02-2012 at 10:29 AM.

    14. Member Sherpa23F's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 21st, 2012
      Location
      Rocky Mountains
      Posts
      414
      Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else, '73 Carrera RS, and Carrera 4
      10-02-2012 10:29 AM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      They make very expensive 1:18 models even. I got a really nice Kyosho earlier this year that wasn't cheap.

      And if people keep posting the "we're not worthy" thing you're gonna become TCL's pope.
      I'm sure it will stop in a minute. I'm really just a normal guy.

      Besides, isnt' TheTopDog the top dog here?

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      Cleveland
      Posts
      8,979
      10-02-2012 10:31 AM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
      I'm sure it will stop in a minute. I'm really just a normal guy.

      Besides, isnt' TheTopDog the top dog here?
      Is he the guy from Cali (?) who owns the Lambo Spyder? I can't remember.

    16. Member 200HP4dr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 21st, 2001
      Location
      NE. OH
      Posts
      8,230
      10-02-2012 10:31 AM #156
      I've actually seen him post as recently as mid- late September, I think.

      And, as for the consistency of his story, it actually matches a lot of the child predators' behaviors on some of the social networking sites. We had a really interesting sermon at church this week titled Facebook for dummies, and it was eye opening how consistent the stories are of people who are trying to pull something over on someone or a group of people.

      Chris
      | 2012 Nissan Leaf | 2005 Kia Sedona | 1997 Honda Accord Wagon | 2006 Charge R/T |

    17. Member Skidmark's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2000
      Location
      Mostly under the influence...
      Posts
      4,001
      Vehicles
      '60 Olds, '07 E91
      10-02-2012 10:36 AM #157
      Much respect!

      Beautiful car and I'm happy to hear it gets driven.

      A few weeks ago I watched the Top Gear old hypercar v new hypercar comparo where Clarkson re-proclaims his love for the F40. I can't help but agree

      Please don't hesitate to post more pictures, sound clips, videos, drawings, history, stories!
      There's no I in barbeque team.

    18. Junior Member jhad03's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2012
      Location
      nazareth, pa
      Posts
      39
      Vehicles
      jetta3 aba
      10-02-2012 10:46 AM #158
      Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
      The battery we took in was way gone - 0% charge and untestable.. I bought a new battery instead and it's been great.
      you mean autozone sells ferrari batteries!??

      great car man, im just a little jelly
      J&J Autosport
      phillyscca.com

    19. Member SnowGTI2003's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 7th, 2004
      Location
      St. George, Ontario
      Posts
      7,556
      Vehicles
      Sedan and Van in white
      10-02-2012 10:46 AM #159
      The bagel on the F40 wing is probably one of the best intro photos I have ever seen on TCL.

      Amazing car OP!

    20. Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      Pothole, MI
      Posts
      14,262
      Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      10-02-2012 10:46 AM #160
      we definitely need sound clips of the new exhaust!
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

    21. Junior Member jhad03's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2012
      Location
      nazareth, pa
      Posts
      39
      Vehicles
      jetta3 aba
      10-02-2012 10:52 AM #161
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      we definitely need sound clips of the new exhaust!

      my vote is in for a go pro video in a nice twisty canyon, please
      J&J Autosport
      phillyscca.com

    22. Member QWKDTSN's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 23rd, 2006
      Location
      Puerto Rico
      Posts
      944
      Vehicles
      '96 Miata
      10-02-2012 11:00 AM #162
      OP, I've seen pics of your old black car on Ferrarichat.

      Nice upgrade!

      Welcome to TCL

    23. Member Accidental L8 apex's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2008
      Location
      Podunk, Ohio
      Posts
      3,515
      Vehicles
      C55 AMG sans "man pedal" after 19+ years of VWs
      10-02-2012 11:11 AM #163
      Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
      Just the stock brake pads are really noisy around town but obviously they quiet down on the back roads and canyons.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Obviously.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Don't get your panties in a bunch.
      Seemed more like jealousy coming from someone into towing too much w/ cheap trucks on Chinese tires.
      A list of mods, all cars ever owned and something cribbed from a book, song and/or movie were all just here. Sorry you missed out on my unique, snowflake-like individuality.

      Click http://i.imgur.com/5wiUNUX.jpg for a Golden Era Honda wall-collage lovingly made by some dork's grammy. I'm kidding. Said dork did it himself.

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      Cleveland
      Posts
      8,979
      10-02-2012 11:20 AM #164
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      Seemed more like jealousy coming from someone into towing too much w/ cheap trucks on Chinese tires.
      Well of COURSE I'm jealous! I'd love to have a Ferrari.

      But I wasn't knocking the OP in any way

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 3rd, 2008
      Location
      DC Metro Area
      Posts
      3,166
      Vehicles
      06 Mustang GT Vert 5MT, 08 TSX 5AT, 95 Volvo 850 GLT 4AT
      10-02-2012 11:20 AM #165
      Where do you get F40 LM parts?

      Was this stuff ever sold by Ferrari in any way other than as OE on actual F40 LM's? I guess they have to carry spares, but it seems like anything from an F40 LM must be unobtanium.

      The Enkeis are terrific, I can't wait to see them on the car.

      OP is the king of TCL. Long Live The King.
      http://sixsylinder.blogspot.com

      Quote Originally Posted by stacman View Post
      Top gear recommended it, so I bought it.

    26. 10-02-2012 11:37 AM #166
      Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
      I can't put a pic up. That's a prototype of a new model from a company I help develop products for. They did just drop the production model at Interbike but there shouldn't be pics on the internet of this one until 2013.
      You know how I know I don't care about cars as much as I used to? Because this post interests me more than the rest of the thread. I'll hand in my car guy card on the way out.

    27. Member 16volt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2000
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      5,977
      Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      10-02-2012 11:41 AM #167
      Nice car(s). Welcome to the Car Lounge.


      PS. Holy **** an F40.

    28. 10-02-2012 11:43 AM #168
      Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
      I'm not sure. I've never gotten to scrutinize a real LM close enough to see.

      The battery we took in was way gone - 0% charge and untestable.. I bought a new battery instead and it's been great.
      I can imagine how that scene played out as the Autozone Associate types in the details into the system computer to get your battery.

      Autozone Associate: What make and year is your car?
      Sherpa: 1990, Ferrari, F40
      Autozone Associate: sir, I'm not seeing this vehicle in our system

      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

    29. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      Cleveland
      Posts
      8,979
      10-02-2012 11:46 AM #169
      Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      I can imagine how that scene played out as the Autozone Associate types in the details into the system computer to get your battery.

      Autozone Associate: What make and year is your car?
      Sherpa: 1990, Ferrari, F40
      Autozone Associate: sir, I'm not seeing this vehicle in our system



      Couldn't find it on autozone.com, but Advance Auto Parts has it listed


    30. Member Sherpa23F's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 21st, 2012
      Location
      Rocky Mountains
      Posts
      414
      Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else, '73 Carrera RS, and Carrera 4
      10-02-2012 12:02 PM #170
      Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      I can imagine how that scene played out as the Autozone Associate types in the details into the system computer to get your battery.

      Autozone Associate: What make and year is your car?
      Sherpa: 1990, Ferrari, F40
      Autozone Associate: sir, I'm not seeing this vehicle in our system


      Are you kidding me? It goes more like this:

      Autozone Associate: What make and year is your car?
      Sherpa: Umm, an old Alfa Romeo, sort of a kit car made out of one really. It's not in your computer. Can you just match this size and give me the best one you sell that's not a total ripoff?
      Autozone Associate: Okay, right this way, sir.


      I never ever say it's for a Ferrari. Then you get the dreaded Ferrari Tax overcharge. Seriously.

      I've become really good at cross referencing Alfa and lancia parts over the years, as well as MB parts for the Bosch FI on the 328. Way better for my bank account.
      Last edited by Sherpa23F; 10-02-2012 at 12:04 PM.

    31. Member rlfletch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 11th, 2000
      Posts
      3,183
      Vehicles
      MkV R32, Focus Electric
      10-02-2012 12:05 PM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
      I never ever say it's for a Ferrari. Then you get the dreaded Ferrari Tax overcharge. Seriously.
      Ha,ha! Its like when your planning your wedding reception, NEVER tell them it's a wedding just tell them its a big party.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Mercedes typically makes awful manual transmissions and fantastic auto transmissions. Choosing the stick would be like saying, "Y'know, that Natalie Portman is pretty hot, but if she grew some hair on her legs and had a dong, she'd be just right."
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Was it parked on the curb on garbage day?

    32. Member Sherpa23F's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 21st, 2012
      Location
      Rocky Mountains
      Posts
      414
      Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else, '73 Carrera RS, and Carrera 4
      10-02-2012 12:06 PM #172
      Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
      You know how I know I don't care about cars as much as I used to? Because this post interests me more than the rest of the thread. I'll hand in my car guy card on the way out.
      Yeah sorry. No pics. The one thing I will divulge is that it's built specifically to take Campagnolo's new Record EPS and really rides well without compromising weight or durability.

    33. Member Old Windy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2009
      Posts
      4,331
      Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      10-02-2012 12:09 PM #173
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post


      Couldn't find it on autozone.com, but Advance Auto Parts has it listed

      They have the image wrong. How are they gonna know if it's an actual F40. Did you just show up with the bagel.

      Yes.... Long Live the King!
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      On a scale from flaming bag of dog poop to drunken sex with a hot stripper... your car is a case of herpes from a girl you picked up at wal mart.

    34. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 25th, 2000
      Location
      Arlington, VA
      Posts
      1,797
      Vehicles
      997.2 C2S
      10-02-2012 12:09 PM #174
      A few people have poo-poo'd the Enkeis, but I love those things. If I had the cash I'd buy an F40 just so I could put those wheels on it. Way jelly!


    35. Member Sherpa23F's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 21st, 2012
      Location
      Rocky Mountains
      Posts
      414
      Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else, '73 Carrera RS, and Carrera 4
      10-02-2012 12:10 PM #175
      Quote Originally Posted by Wanganrunner View Post
      Where do you get F40 LM parts?

      Was this stuff ever sold by Ferrari in any way other than as OE on actual F40 LM's? I guess they have to carry spares, but it seems like anything from an F40 LM must be unobtanium.

      The Enkeis are terrific, I can't wait to see them on the car.
      It was sold through Ferrari but not just to anyone. You had to have some inside line so that you could get a reasonable response, from what I was told. I think you could also get them from the various subs if you knew what exactly to ask for.

      It sort of is unobtanium but there's also not much of a market. I'm sort of a parts hoarder so I usually know where to look and get phone calls about stuff that's stashed away. The biggest thing is just paying attention. The Ferrari world isn't huge and the Ferrari supercar world is smaller still. I have good connections, too. It all helps.

    Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •