Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Look what Internet Meme sent me in the mail today!

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      10-03-2012 03:34 AM #246
      Quote Originally Posted by Mcstiff View Post
      HTC's suck too. Swype helps but diligence is the solution.
      SwiftKey. Try it.

Sent from a mobile device via a forum app.

Vehicles
      e46 Touring
      10-03-2012 03:44 AM #247
      Any more pictures of the interior? My life pretty much revolves around upholstery and european seats... Its a disturbing fetish
      Last edited by _a2coupe2a_; 10-03-2012 at 03:47 AM.

Vehicles
      05 S2000
      10-03-2012 04:55 AM #248
      HTC's suck too. Swype helps but diligence is the solution.

SwiftKey. Try it.

Sent from a mobile device via a forum app.
      I like Swype. And this is coming from someone with big ass gorilla hands. And I can do it with whatever hand I like!

Anyway, OP's thread is epic. Lol at the bagel pic, and I enjoyed reading every page of it. Well worth the read.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      Japanese Toaster
      10-03-2012 07:37 AM #249
      I suspect this thread will be the catalyst for several divorces.

5. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      10-03-2012 07:54 AM #250
      Haha! Awesome!

10-03-2012 08:10 AM #251
      Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
      Since this stupid software upgrade it's auto correcting to wrong grammar and spelling. I got yiu for you the other day.
      My favorite part of the upgrade is that it now sends texts from my email address, instead of my phone number which people have stored in their phone.

Chris
      | 2012 Nissan Leaf | 2005 Chrysler T&C |

Vehicles
      2013 WRX 2012 Mazda5
      10-03-2012 08:47 AM #252
      Are you kidding me? It goes more like this:

Autozone Associate: What make and year is your car?
      Sherpa: Umm, an old Alfa Romeo, sort of a kit car made out of one really. It's not in your computer. Can you just match this size and give me the best one you sell that's not a total ripoff?
      Autozone Associate: Okay, right this way, sir.

I never ever say it's for a Ferrari. Then you get the dreaded Ferrari Tax overcharge. Seriously.

I've become really good at cross referencing Alfa and lancia parts over the years, as well as MB parts for the Bosch FI on the 328. Way better for my bank account.
      these little nuggets make this such a great forum...

Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else, '73 Carrera RS, and Carrera 4
      10-03-2012 09:02 AM #253
      A couple of things are coming through on pm:

1) I got two questions on fit and finish. Someone who saw one up close thought the fit and finish sucked. Here's my response:

Many are like that but some are really good. There are 3 others in Colorado and one sits in a collection/museum. I went to look at it to make some notes and comparisons and was appalled at how bad that car is. The rear lid sat very unevenly on the back of the car. My car is one of the best out there as far as that stuff goes, and that's one of the reasons I wanted it. The panel gaps aren't close (none are, that's not how they were designed or constructed) but mine are straight and even and that's perfect. The body panels are all symmetrical and the car looks pretty good.

If there's one part of the fit and finish that's not great on my car it's the paint. The paint is terrible. It looks like they did the roof like two and a half times. That's one thing that my car didn't win on. But my detailer did a bunch of wet sanding and stuff and it looks great. Especially for a driver.

F40's were built by 17 guys throughout the production. They got better after a while. Some people say the '92's are best but I haven't seen that. You just have to really look at the car. Funny enough, the 288 GTO's that I have seen all look really good in the fit and finish department, by 308 standards. I suspect it's because so much of it is covered up by carpet and leather and stuff.

2) I got a bunch on what I do for a living and how do I work but not work. It's not like that. One of the things that I do is steady income and that's a base. The other things are things that I do on top of that and are more deal based. Don't you know someone who always has some deal cooking or side gig happening? I'm that guy to all of my friends.

I have almost always have something like that going on and when it's going at full steam, I am working around the clock. Furthermore, sometimes I have to kill myself to get those things to the finish and they don't pan out and I get nothing out of it financially, although I console myself with knowing that I got better, gained some good experience, and am better equipped for the next round.

So when it's not going super crazy, people see a lot of me. When it is at full steam, everyone asks where I am and what happened to me and did I fall off the end of the earth. That's how it goes. Hell, Derek didn't see me for 3.5 years and now he sees me like once a week. So one day you get "Where the hell have you been for 3 years" and then like every other day since, "Dude, are you working today?" But that's the nature of what I do.

I had some really bad things happen in 2011 that forced me to slow down for the last year but I am getting busy again. I have to say that it really was not the worst thing for me but now I am going to try to find a better balance that makes things more sustainable.
      Last edited by Sherpa23F; 10-03-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 09:10 AM #254
      Quote Originally Posted by Mcstiff View Post

I recommend against that. I've been doing like up at 6a and leaving the office at 10:30-11p, not fun.
      I am going to try my best not to keep your schedule, as evidenced by all of your 1am emails.

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      10-03-2012 09:12 AM #255
      I don't think that most married guys are allowed to take over their oversized 2 car garage and fill it with only car stuff and toys and arm it up and lock it up.
      I'm damn lucky because I turn 28 next week and my girlfriend of 5 years let me have the 25 x 30 garage and the rec room in the basement when we bought our house 2-1/2 years ago. Three sports cars in the garage and a motocross bike, along with other toys. Tons of collectables/die-cast/PS3 with seat & pedals in the rec room. (Yes I plan on marrying her).[/quote]

You just have to really look at the car.
      And sorry, you said that and I just couldn't resist:

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 09:21 AM #256
      I am sort of surprised at all the attention this thread is getting. I'm happy to answer the questions but the whole point of was really just to head off any more IM bull**** whenever I participate in a thread or ask a question. It's sort of the 900 lb gorilla in the room and I thought this was probably the best way, topped off with a little FU to the naysayers.

And remember, while the car is pretty bad ass and worth all the hype, I am not. I'm really just a normal guy. I'm not on FB much but there is not a single pic of a car or a Ferrari on my FB page. Most people that I know have no clue. It's much better that way. In fact, some of you on here might be friends with me on FB or even know me and not realize it.

So feel free to leg hump the car all you want; it deserves it. I, on the other hand, don't - unless you're a hot chick (in which case send me pics of you naked with a bagel covering your special parts so I can judge whether you're real or just another Internet Meme).
      Last edited by Sherpa23F; 10-03-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Vehicles
      04 Audi A4 Avant, 95 Audi S6 Avant
      10-03-2012 09:30 AM #257
      I, on the other hand, don't - unless you're a hot chick (in which case send me pics of you naked with a bagel covering your special parts so I can judge whether you're real or just another Internet Meme).
      Well played, I lol'd

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 09:31 AM #258
      I am sort of surprised at all the attention this thread is getting. I'm happy to answer the questions but the whole point of was really just to head off any more IM bull**** whenever I participate in a thread or ask a question. It's sort of the 900 lb gorilla in the room and I thought this was probably the best way, topped off with a little FU to the naysayers.

And remember, while the car is pretty bad ass and worth all the hype, I am not. I'm really just a normal guy. I'm not on FB much but there is not a single pic of a car or a Ferrari on my FB page. Most people that I know have no clue. It's much better that way. In fact, some of you on here might be friends with me on FB or even know me and not realize it.

So feel free to leg hump the car all you want; it deserves it. I, on the other hand, don't - unless you're a hot chick (in which case send me pics of you naked with a bagel covering your special parts so I can judge whether you're real or just another Internet Meme).
      Yeah you're cool to hang with us.

You receive the overwhelming response because this forum is full of dreamers, die-hard car guys (gals) and poseurs. Most dedicate their lives wishing to someday own some form of exotic. The best we get are Vad's picks of the week, a bunch of Miatas, E30s, and BMWs and the rest are morons from the Mk4 forums when someone forgets to close the gate.

Nothing overly exciting happens, you seem level headed and not like a stereotypical snobby rich guy. We like that.

So hang around, join in on making fun of other peoples' misfortunes because you're insecure of your own shortcomings and make some videos of your F40 for us to fap to.

10-03-2012 09:36 AM #259
      it sounds like you are beginning to understand how the internetmeme thing got out of hand. lots of desperation and loneliness around here coupled with a lack of worldliness. lots of kids too. they're mostly harmless, especially if they're approaching it from the "i wanna be like you when i grow up" angle.

but leg humping is definitely just a mild, euphemistic term used on TCL in place of "don't slip up and post anything personally identifying about yourself, because some of these people are really creepy and want to live through your online presence." and the rageful materialism, obviously, is over the top bananas.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 09:56 AM #260
      Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
      it sounds like you are beginning to understand how the internetmeme thing got out of hand.
      I am still a little thrown off by the whole thing. I haven't had time to go look on Fchat to see if there was anyone who sounds like him over there but the whole thing seems so bizarre. And he posted here for a year with a consistent story? What's the point of the whole thing? What's the end game? Did he post at all AFTER the whole thing?

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 10:11 AM #261
      I am still a little thrown off by the whole thing. I haven't had time to go look on Fchat to see if there was anyone who sounds like him over there but the whole thing seems so bizarre. And he posted here for a year with a consistent story? What's the point of the whole thing? What's the end game? Did he post at all AFTER the whole thing?
      I think roadtripper summed it up best with this:

Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
      lots of desperation and loneliness around here coupled with a lack of worldliness.

"don't slip up and post anything personally identifying about yourself, because some of these people are really creepy"
      Crazy is gonna crazy.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      97 Ram 1500
      10-03-2012 10:14 AM #262
      IN for the real deal!
      Keep Calm & Chive On

FKA gti_r_done

18. 10-03-2012 10:15 AM #263
      It really was a masterwork in trolling. He had the girlfriend, kid on the way, all his purchases, his job. Like I said, there were cracks, but he was too consistent for most to ever look deeper into it. He was also fairly eloquent. He wrote well, seemed well versed in the topics he discussed, and started multiple threads. The only reason I bring up the last point is that they really did help form his image here. The breadth and detail that went into it really was incredible. For example, he made a thread about his girlfriend being pregnant in November. The following July he started a thread about his girlfriend going into labor. Only after he was outed did we start to hear about people PM'ing him and how deep it really went.

Oh, and no. After Momus detective'd his ass he never posted again.
      Last edited by pwm; 10-03-2012 at 10:20 AM.

10-03-2012 10:31 AM #264
      you guys really need to stop inflating him. there were plenty who called him out from early on. if there was any masterwork, it was in how the community willfully disregarded the signs in order to nurture and grow the thing. you know, since we obsess over trolling so much. like pyromaniacal firefighters on meth.

his writing was not good; it never matched his claimed station. he had consistent patterns of grammatical error. he was not eloquent; he was emotional. sherpa's seeing it with the needy IMs. it's like mistaking cute and precocious for confident and smart. that's why he was such a hit here. so many that live in their heads and not in the air.

it was all tripe unless you like guys that talk about work and money and things all the time. or how his woowoo always hurt. people seem to like commiserating over ouchy woowoos.

edit -- and by the way, from the same sources that claimed admins tracked him to baltimore, there were reports he was a multiple repeat offender with previous screen names. you reap what you sow!
      Last edited by roadtripper; 10-03-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Vehicles
      Keksdose; Elch, Hugo und Rennsemmel
      10-03-2012 11:20 AM #265
      Welcome aboard! It's like a dream come true for us enthusiasts :-)

I like your cars One of the first car-related videos I ever downloaded (got the link here in the lounge, of course) was of 2 guys driving an Audi S2 chasing an F40 somewhere in Latin America. Funny how I remember that and how you have both cars
      Fiat 126 bis build thread here. Error 404: 0-60 not found.
      Fiat 128, the stroppy cow.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 11:47 AM #266
      From my YouTube Favourites. This should tide everyone over til the O.P. delivers:

Vehicles
      '88 e30 M3, '87 c900 vert, '10 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
      10-03-2012 11:56 AM #267
      Love this thread.

Sorry if it's been covered already and I missed it, but... what are these actually worth on today's market?
      1988 BMW M3 Project Thread - 8k all day, rain or shine. Yes, I drive mine.
      1987 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible - 335whp, March 2010 Eurotuner Feature Car

10-03-2012 11:59 AM #268
      This is the defenitive F-40 (LM) sound track to hear:

The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Mustang GT Vert 5MT, 08 TSX 5AT, 95 Volvo 850 GLT 4AT
      10-03-2012 11:59 AM #269
      Quote Originally Posted by GTurboI View Post
      Don't get me wrong, it looks good with the Enkeis...just looks better with the OEM setup, IMO.
      The Enkeis *are* OEM, just OEM for an LM.

I can't imagine what it's like to use an F40 as a street car, btw.
      http://sixsylinder.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by stacman View Post
      Top gear recommended it, so I bought it.

10-03-2012 12:06 PM #270
      OP - The bodywork is mostly Kevlar composites right? Any special maintenance or care needed? If, god forbid, you get into an accident and bust up a fender is there speciality repair shop you have to take it to or do you simply bolt on a new body piece?

Any special or exotic fluids or oils needed for this car?

26. 10-03-2012 12:21 PM #271
      Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      OP - The bodywork is mostly Kevlar composites right? Any special maintenance or care needed? If, god forbid, you get into an accident and bust up a fender is there speciality repair shop you have to take it to or do you simply bolt on a new body piece?

Any special or exotic fluids or oils needed for this car?

That's a good question, is there a company that makes new replacement pieces of body work if it were needed?
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

10-03-2012 12:28 PM #272
      Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      That's a good question, is there a company that makes new replacement pieces of body work if it were needed?
      Yes, but the company that does it is very expensive, and right now, they're busy making body panels for new Saabs.

Chris
      | 2012 Nissan Leaf | 2005 Chrysler T&C |

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      10-03-2012 12:37 PM #273
      Quote Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
      Love this thread.

Sorry if it's been covered already and I missed it, but... what are these actually worth on today's market?
      Generally speaking, mid six figures.
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5 [current]
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

29. Member
      Vehicles
      Euro Ford junk collection
      10-03-2012 12:38 PM #274
      Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      I would think Ferrari themselves would make/get you whatever you needed.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      5.3L Wrangler
      10-03-2012 12:44 PM #275
      I, on the other hand, don't - unless you're a hot chick (in which case send me pics of you naked with a bagel covering your special parts so I can judge whether you're real or just another Internet Meme).
      Get any man bagels yet?
      5.3L Wrangler work in progress
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      "Less Forethought, More Welding"

31. Banned
      10-03-2012 12:48 PM #276
      Quote Originally Posted by Wanganrunner View Post
      I can't imagine what it's like to use an F40 as a street car, btw.
      Keep it under 3500 and you'll get 15mpg highway

32. 10-03-2012 12:56 PM #277
      I can't put a pic up. That's a prototype of a new model from a company I help develop products for. They did just drop the production model at Interbike but there shouldn't be pics on the internet of this one until 2013.
      Is it a Parlee?
      07 TL-S 6MT & a CAAD10

10-03-2012 01:05 PM #278
      Found this related to F-40 repair:

I have an F40 in our shop for work. One issue on the car is the forward under tray has a small piece of material missing. It is a carbon kevlar weave that I haven't seen before. Sorry I can't post attachments but I do have pics available. I am looking for a small piece of cloth to repair the panel. As you are aware the customer wants it perfect.....
      http://www.compositescentral.net/showthread.php?t=6026

One of the guys responded with this:

If I remember correctly, that is a harness weave. Back in the day, Ferrari was using some "non-standard" weaves.

Sounds really, really expensive to find and repair the composite materials.
      Last edited by Uberhare; 10-03-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Volt, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      10-03-2012 01:16 PM #279
      Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      If, god forbid, you get into an accident and bust up a fender is there speciality repair shop you have to take it to or do you simply bolt on a new body piece?
      You go here:

I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

35. 10-03-2012 01:17 PM #280
      Quote Originally Posted by Danza. View Post
      Is it a Parlee?
      althought EPS comment makes me wonder Calfee
      07 TL-S 6MT & a CAAD10

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast