Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Look what Internet Meme sent me in the mail today!

Vehicles
      2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, 1992 Golf 2 door
      10-03-2012 01:26 PM #281
      Yes now give me your old wheels and Ill put them on my mk4
      FS - OZ M-191 Center Cap - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...5#post77384355
      Diesel Dub Club #38 || Euro Style || MK2 Militia ||

10-03-2012 01:28 PM #282
      Quote Originally Posted by Wanganrunner View Post
      The Enkeis *are* OEM, just OEM for an LM.

I can't imagine what it's like to use an F40 as a street car, btw.
      Yes, this I understand...sorry, should have been more clear with my previous statement.
      I changed my avatar so not to be confused with La Ferrari

3. 10-03-2012 01:56 PM #283
      awesome thread.. just wanted to suscribe to the best thread ever!!

OP beautful cars you have!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Windy View Post
      Does that she Tropper has sideburns? It does not say were the accident happen? Any more to the story?
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      The ADs on the side of facebook are the least of my annoyances on facebook. People I went to high school with bombing photo after photo of their ugly baby, now that's annoying.

Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else, '73 Carrera RS, and Carrera 4
      10-03-2012 02:55 PM #284
      All this talk about vids. I don't have a GoPro or even know how to host a video. Someone else would have to film it from a follow car and post it up. Either way, I'm not putting anything on the car right anyway.

5. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      10-03-2012 03:40 PM #285
      Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
      or even know how to host a video. Someone else would have to film it from a follow car and post it up. Either way, I'm not putting anything on the car right anyway.

10-03-2012 04:29 PM #286
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Have you tried to drive it to a suburban parking lot with speed bumps? I'd create a traffic jam trying to drive it. haha.

Also, can it run on 91 octane?

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI
      10-03-2012 04:50 PM #287
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIDamien_407 View Post
      Yes now give me your old wheels and Ill put them on my mk4
      No, you're supposed to flip them for a profit remember.

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      10-03-2012 05:03 PM #288
      Hey OP, you mentioned what a blast it is to drive the F40 on Rocky Mountain roads. Have you ever driven CO-113 from Carbondale to Hotchkiss? That road absolutely blew me away - great views, perfect pavement, banked curves, little traffic, and almost no cross-roads.
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5 [current]
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      10-03-2012 05:06 PM #289
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      Hey OP, you mentioned what a blast it is to drive the F40 on Rocky Mountain roads. Have you ever driven CO-113 from Carbondale to Hotchkiss? That road absolutely blew me away - great views, perfect pavement, banked curves, little traffic, and almost no cross-roads.
      I have a house is carbondale....that's why I asked the OP if he lives on the western slopes....that and a few others on the western slopes are INSANE!!!

me and my 914-6 love them!
      Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      10-03-2012 05:40 PM #290
      Quote Originally Posted by .LSinLV. View Post
      I have a house is carbondale....that's why I asked the OP if he lives on the western slopes....that and a few others on the western slopes are INSANE!!!

me and my 914-6 love them!
      Ha, I bet. I was unfortunately in a rental 2012 4Runner and I kept telling my wife how awesome the road was, and how much more awesome it would be in a proper sports car. Then a red F430 Spyder passed us in the other direction, and I told her that guy is DIR.
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5 [current]
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      10-03-2012 05:54 PM #291
      Quote Originally Posted by deucestudios View Post
      Get any man bagels yet?
      Not the mental image I needed....

unless you're a hot chick (in which case send me pics of you naked with a bagel covering your special parts so I can judge whether you're real or just another Internet Meme).
      And this years Halloween TCL costume is.....
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      On a scale from flaming bag of dog poop to drunken sex with a hot stripper... your car is a case of herpes from a girl you picked up at wal mart.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 06:08 PM #292
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      I have not but have ridden my bike on it. One day maybe the F40.

Vehicles
      e46 Touring
      10-03-2012 06:08 PM #293
      more interior picture pretty please

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 06:08 PM #294
      Quote Originally Posted by WagonHatch View Post
      Have you tried to drive it to a suburban parking lot with speed bumps? I'd create a traffic jam trying to drive it. haha.

Also, can it run on 91 octane?

No speedbumps with it and yes, 91 octane is fine although I do use ethanol free gas.

10-03-2012 06:17 PM #295
      See my questions above about body repair/replacement. Very interested in how you deal with the unique Kevlar-Carbon body peices in terms of maintenance and accident or damage repair. You mentioned before about the paint quality being iffy, so I'm wondering if the body itself is partly to blame. Maybe they didn't prep the surface correctly? Or maybe, in an effort to keep weight down, used the bare minimum amount of paint/primer.
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

Vehicles
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      10-03-2012 06:23 PM #296
      An F40 with a bagle is a win for sure.

I saw that in his list of cars a few days ago and was but assmuded it was just a joke. Good to see it isn't. One of my all time favorites!

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 06:36 PM #297
      Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      See my questions above about body repair/replacement. Very interested in how you deal with the unique Kevlar-Carbon body peices in terms of maintenance and accident or damage repair. You mentioned before about the paint quality being iffy, so I'm wondering if the body itself is partly to blame. Maybe they didn't prep the surface correctly? Or maybe, in an effort to keep weight down, used the bare minimum amount of paint/primer.
      The guys were given a very limited amount of paint to keep weight down, I've read many places. I suppose it could be the prep, too. Ultimately, it was painted by hand with a limited amount of paint so you figure that's how it is. As a result, many cars have been repainted "just because." But it looks good enough for me and I like that it's original. It's the nature of the car, too, so if this is your favorite car on the the planet, you kind of embrace that.

For crash replacement, I know that there are some parts out there but I really hope I never have to find out. The molds are around and supposedly Ferrari can remake panels if needed. Again, I hope that I never have to find out. There is also a guy in L.A. who has some repaired body panels for sale. Once more, I hope that I never have to find out...
      Last edited by Sherpa23F; 10-03-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Vehicles
      2004 Audi A4 Quattro 6MT
      10-03-2012 06:52 PM #298
      oh wow how come i only saw this thread today Subscribed!

I was wondering since it's the first time i get to ask an actual owner, how reliable is a F40 ?
      Would you be confident to go on something like a 4-5days road-trip without a breakdown?

It's something i've asked myself for a while, and im very jealous, very nice car!

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 07:18 PM #299
      Quote Originally Posted by Mayerz View Post
      oh wow how come i only saw this thread today Subscribed!

I was wondering since it's the first time i get to ask an actual owner, how reliable is a F40 ?
      Would you be confident to go on something like a 4-5days road-trip without a breakdown?

It's something i've asked myself for a while, and im very jealous, very nice car!
      I did in December. I drove 500 miles in 4 days on a little road trip to see some sites. It's a great car as long as you pack light.

As far as reliability without a breakdown: Can you drive it on a 4-5 day roadtrip without a break down? I am not sure if this is a serious question. It's a car, not a paper mache sculpture. If you take care of it, it's a great car. It's way more robust than people realize. It's not like if I have a team of mechanics that live at my house who have to prep it for me each time I drive it (although I got applications from Vad and Slonie). If I wanted to go to L.A. tomorrow with it I would have no hesitations to gas it up and drive it out there. The more you drive it, the better it is - as long as you take care of it with the regular maintenance.
      Last edited by Sherpa23F; 10-03-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Vehicles
      97 GTi VR6
      10-03-2012 07:25 PM #300
      this is awesome
      Jim- Owner of rustisnotacrime.com Like us on FB!
      Admin on Rival House. Like us on FB!
      SE Auto

Vehicles
      99 F-150 flared 4x4, 2010 Brooklyn built hipster mobile
      10-03-2012 07:25 PM #301
      I did in December. I drove 500 miles in 4 days on a little road trip to see some sites. It's a great car as long as you pack light.
      How much were you able to fit in it? I'd maybe keep a light jacket on the passengers seat. Have to keep it clean.

And thanks again for being cool, OP. I've regained hope for TCL.
      Jack Daniels kicked my ass again last night.

Vehicles
      Bent M
      10-03-2012 07:38 PM #302

As far as reliability without a breakdown: Can you drive it on a 4-5 day roadtrip without a break down? I am not sure if this is a serious question. It's a car, not a paper mache sculpture. If you take care of it, it's a great car. It's way more robust than people realize. It's not like if I have a team of mechanics that live at my house who have to prep it for me each time I drive it (although I got applications from Vad and Slonie). If I wanted to go to L.A. tomorrow with it I would have no hesitations to gas it up and drive it out there. The more you drive it, the better it is - as long as you take care of it with the regular maintenance.
      So this raises the next question that I am sure is on others' minds as well.

What does maintenance cost on this thing? It seems like you do some of it yourself, but I am assuming that it needs periodic valve adjustments, etc. What do these run? What about a new clutch? etc. .
      I TCL.

10-03-2012 07:54 PM #303
      Cars that sit too long tend to have more leaks, running problems, etc. People think if they just sit they'll age like a fine wine, but it turns out they just rot away. A F40 that sees regular use, in my opinion, is far less likely to breakdown.
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

Vehicles
      2007 GTI DSG
      10-03-2012 07:55 PM #304
      Bet you've taken some epic drives in CO. Some great places out there.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 08:16 PM #305
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      So this raises the next question that I am sure is on others' minds as well.

What does maintenance cost on this thing? It seems like you do some of it yourself, but I am assuming that it needs periodic valve adjustments, etc. What do these run? What about a new clutch? etc. .
      Figure $500-$1k a year for routine things and $6k to $8k for a major service every 5 years which is belts, valve adjustment, seals, gaskets, injectors removed and cleaned, various odds and ends. It could be more or could be less depending on the car and the needs but that's a good benchmark. I think that a clutch runs $3k for parts and labor but I'm not 100% sure on that. The clutch can last a while. The car has so much torque you just come off the clutch slowly and when it's off all the way you get on the gas. It's when people rev it up and then come off the clutch they don't last.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 08:16 PM #306
      Cars that sit too long tend to have more leaks, running problems, etc. People think if they just sit they'll age like a fine wine, but it turns out they just rot away. A F40 that sees regular use, in my opinion, is far less likely to breakdown.
      Correct.

Vehicles
      White car with an obnoxious wing on the back
      10-03-2012 08:20 PM #307
      WHAT? So the Mk3 that has been sitting in my garage for the past 12 years will not become a Mk6 anytime soon?
      If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical issue

Vehicles
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      10-03-2012 08:27 PM #308
      do you plan on doing the work yourself? just curious

other than body work, the dealership can get just about any part for it, correct?
      you also mentioned fitting more modern turbos to the v8, how do the blocks hold up when you up the boost?

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 08:46 PM #309
      Quote Originally Posted by 71DubBugBug View Post
      do you plan on doing the work yourself? just curious

other than body work, the dealership can get just about any part for it, correct?
      you also mentioned fitting more modern turbos to the v8, how do the blocks hold up when you up the boost?
      I can do some of it but I'm not going to do the major service. Some of that stuff involves a little more know how that I have. I am fine with removing and replacing parts but I would rather not do things that require adjustments and things that you should have a real pro with real experience for.

The dealership can usually get parts but I source a lot of parts myself, usually to save money or get better quality parts when applicable.

Have no clue about changing the turbos but if it's made for the car, I'm sure the block would hold up fine.

Vehicles
      e46 Touring
      10-03-2012 08:46 PM #310
      Do you have any more pics of the interior? Really curious to see the exact seats that were used. Is the dash wrapped or flocked?

31. Member
      10-03-2012 09:03 PM #311
      I'm a little late coming into this thread but just wanted to say that it's refreshing to have someone down-to-earth like Sherpa23F share his experiences with a car many of us grew up fantasizing about.

Keep on livin' the dream!
      2003 Acura MDX
      2006 BMW X3

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 09:06 PM #312
      Quote Originally Posted by _a2coupe2a_ View Post
      Do you have any more pics of the interior? Really curious to see the exact seats that were used. Is the dash wrapped or flocked?
      I don't have any on my computer but they are all the same so just google it. There are no interior options. All the seats are carbon covered with Nomex. The euro seats are one piece with cut outs for harnesses while the us ones are two piece with slots in the lower portion for the lap belt. The us cars have mouse belts (I disabled mine).

I don't know what wrapped or flocked means but the dash is a great carpet-esque material. Kind of like a cross between fleece and polyester. I don't know. It's hard to describe. The best part is that I don't have the glare that I had in the old car, which had a vinyl or leather dash.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 09:51 PM #313
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      All you need is a 959 and you'll be promoted from King to God tier.
      Ferdinand Porche recently died. When he went to heaven, God greeted him at the gates and took him into heaven and greeted him. The first thing he did was take FP to his new house - a nice bungalow with a beautiful silver Porsche 959 in the driveway. The good doctor was so excited he asked God if they could take a drive around with it. God said sure. They drove around and before long, they came to a large Italian villa with a Ferrari flag on the roof and an F40 sitting shining in the driveway.

Dr. Porsche was suddenly deflated and he turned to God and said, "God. I have been a good person. I have helped to build my family's company, built great sports cars and won many championships. Why does Enzo Ferrari have a house so much nicer than mine?"

God looked at him and said," That's not Enzo Ferrari's house. That's mine."

Vehicles
      e46 Touring
      10-03-2012 09:54 PM #314
      I don't have any on my computer but they are all the same so just google it. There are no interior options. All the seats are carbon covered with Nomex. The euro seats are one piece with cut outs for harnesses while the us ones are two piece with slots in the lower portion for the lap belt. The us cars have mouse belts (I disabled mine).

I don't know what wrapped or flocked means but the dash is a great carpet-esque material. Kind of like a cross between fleece and polyester. I don't know. It's hard to describe. The best part is that I don't have the glare that I had in the old car, which had a vinyl or leather dash.
      Awesome, sounds like the dash is flocked. Kind of looked that way from the pictures i have seen but i wasnt sure.

Vehicles
      MK3 | Q1 TT | SV Race Bike
      10-03-2012 09:56 PM #315
      Hi sherpa, I stumbled upon some F40 pictures from a cars and coffee in colorado on another forum. Is this yours ?

Beautiful car and one of my favorite cars of all time. Thanks for sharing your wonderful car with us

Last edited by rq1trackaddict; 10-04-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast