Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Look what Internet Meme sent me in the mail today!

Vehicles
      99 F-150 flared 4x4, 2010 Brooklyn built hipster mobile
      10-03-2012 07:25 PM #301
      Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
      I did in December. I drove 500 miles in 4 days on a little road trip to see some sites. It's a great car as long as you pack light.
      How much were you able to fit in it? I'd maybe keep a light jacket on the passengers seat. Have to keep it clean.

And thanks again for being cool, OP. I've regained hope for TCL.
      ZZ Top is cool.

Vehicles
      Bent M
      10-03-2012 07:38 PM #302
      I did in December. I drove 500 miles in 4 days on a little road trip to see some sites. It's a great car as long as you pack light.

As far as reliability without a breakdown: Can you drive it on a 4-5 day roadtrip without a break down? I am not sure if this is a serious question. It's a car, not a paper mache sculpture. If you take care of it, it's a great car. It's way more robust than people realize. It's not like if I have a team of mechanics that live at my house who have to prep it for me each time I drive it (although I got applications from Vad and Slonie). If I wanted to go to L.A. tomorrow with it I would have no hesitations to gas it up and drive it out there. The more you drive it, the better it is - as long as you take care of it with the regular maintenance.
      So this raises the next question that I am sure is on others' minds as well.

What does maintenance cost on this thing? It seems like you do some of it yourself, but I am assuming that it needs periodic valve adjustments, etc. What do these run? What about a new clutch? etc. .
      I TCL.

10-03-2012 07:54 PM #303
      Cars that sit too long tend to have more leaks, running problems, etc. People think if they just sit they'll age like a fine wine, but it turns out they just rot away. A F40 that sees regular use, in my opinion, is far less likely to breakdown.
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

Vehicles
      2007 GTI DSG
      10-03-2012 07:55 PM #304
      Bet you've taken some epic drives in CO. Some great places out there.

Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else V12 powered, V8 race car, all made in Maranello. Plus a '67 911.
      10-03-2012 08:16 PM #305
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      So this raises the next question that I am sure is on others' minds as well.

What does maintenance cost on this thing? It seems like you do some of it yourself, but I am assuming that it needs periodic valve adjustments, etc. What do these run? What about a new clutch? etc. .
      Figure $500-$1k a year for routine things and $6k to $8k for a major service every 5 years which is belts, valve adjustment, seals, gaskets, injectors removed and cleaned, various odds and ends. It could be more or could be less depending on the car and the needs but that's a good benchmark. I think that a clutch runs $3k for parts and labor but I'm not 100% sure on that. The clutch can last a while. The car has so much torque you just come off the clutch slowly and when it's off all the way you get on the gas. It's when people rev it up and then come off the clutch they don't last.

Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else V12 powered, V8 race car, all made in Maranello. Plus a '67 911.
      10-03-2012 08:16 PM #306
      Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      Cars that sit too long tend to have more leaks, running problems, etc. People think if they just sit they'll age like a fine wine, but it turns out they just rot away. A F40 that sees regular use, in my opinion, is far less likely to breakdown.
      Correct.

Vehicles
      White car with an obnoxious wing on the back
      10-03-2012 08:20 PM #307
      Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      WHAT? So the Mk3 that has been sitting in my garage for the past 12 years will not become a Mk6 anytime soon?
      If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical issue

Vehicles
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      10-03-2012 08:27 PM #308
      do you plan on doing the work yourself? just curious

other than body work, the dealership can get just about any part for it, correct?
      you also mentioned fitting more modern turbos to the v8, how do the blocks hold up when you up the boost?

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 08:46 PM #309
      Quote Originally Posted by 71DubBugBug View Post
      do you plan on doing the work yourself? just curious

other than body work, the dealership can get just about any part for it, correct?
      you also mentioned fitting more modern turbos to the v8, how do the blocks hold up when you up the boost?
      I can do some of it but I'm not going to do the major service. Some of that stuff involves a little more know how that I have. I am fine with removing and replacing parts but I would rather not do things that require adjustments and things that you should have a real pro with real experience for.

The dealership can usually get parts but I source a lot of parts myself, usually to save money or get better quality parts when applicable.

Have no clue about changing the turbos but if it's made for the car, I'm sure the block would hold up fine.

Vehicles
      e46 Touring
      10-03-2012 08:46 PM #310
      Do you have any more pics of the interior? Really curious to see the exact seats that were used. Is the dash wrapped or flocked?

11. Member
      10-03-2012 09:03 PM #311
      I'm a little late coming into this thread but just wanted to say that it's refreshing to have someone down-to-earth like Sherpa23F share his experiences with a car many of us grew up fantasizing about.

Keep on livin' the dream!
      2003 Acura MDX
      2006 BMW X3

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 09:06 PM #312
      Quote Originally Posted by _a2coupe2a_ View Post
      Do you have any more pics of the interior? Really curious to see the exact seats that were used. Is the dash wrapped or flocked?
      I don't have any on my computer but they are all the same so just google it. There are no interior options. All the seats are carbon covered with Nomex. The euro seats are one piece with cut outs for harnesses while the us ones are two piece with slots in the lower portion for the lap belt. The us cars have mouse belts (I disabled mine).

I don't know what wrapped or flocked means but the dash is a great carpet-esque material. Kind of like a cross between fleece and polyester. I don't know. It's hard to describe. The best part is that I don't have the glare that I had in the old car, which had a vinyl or leather dash.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 09:51 PM #313
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      All you need is a 959 and you'll be promoted from King to God tier.
      Ferdinand Porche recently died. When he went to heaven, God greeted him at the gates and took him into heaven and greeted him. The first thing he did was take FP to his new house - a nice bungalow with a beautiful silver Porsche 959 in the driveway. The good doctor was so excited he asked God if they could take a drive around with it. God said sure. They drove around and before long, they came to a large Italian villa with a Ferrari flag on the roof and an F40 sitting shining in the driveway.

Dr. Porsche was suddenly deflated and he turned to God and said, "God. I have been a good person. I have helped to build my family's company, built great sports cars and won many championships. Why does Enzo Ferrari have a house so much nicer than mine?"

God looked at him and said," That's not Enzo Ferrari's house. That's mine."

Vehicles
      e46 Touring
      10-03-2012 09:54 PM #314
      I don't have any on my computer but they are all the same so just google it. There are no interior options. All the seats are carbon covered with Nomex. The euro seats are one piece with cut outs for harnesses while the us ones are two piece with slots in the lower portion for the lap belt. The us cars have mouse belts (I disabled mine).

I don't know what wrapped or flocked means but the dash is a great carpet-esque material. Kind of like a cross between fleece and polyester. I don't know. It's hard to describe. The best part is that I don't have the glare that I had in the old car, which had a vinyl or leather dash.
      Awesome, sounds like the dash is flocked. Kind of looked that way from the pictures i have seen but i wasnt sure.

Vehicles
      Q1 V6TT | MK3vr
      10-03-2012 09:56 PM #315
      Hi sherpa, I stumbled upon some F40 pictures from a cars and coffee in colorado on another forum. Is this yours ?

Beautiful car and one of my favorite cars of all time. Thanks for sharing your wonderful car with us

Last edited by rq1trackaddict; 10-04-2012 at 12:12 PM.
      “if there’s a heaven on Earth, it’s VIR” - Paul Newman

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      10-03-2012 10:17 PM #316
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      Whoa. Wait. What? What the hell is going on here?
      I actually took these pics last week when I was getting all the Internet Meme crap and people were calling BS on me.

how the **** did I miss all this?

Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      10-03-2012 10:22 PM #317
      All it took were those simple pictures and I would have believed you right from the start! Still a cool but strange (IMHO) collection of cars.

Vehicles
      e46 Touring
      10-03-2012 10:22 PM #318
      Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      how the **** did I miss all this?
      Wow i need to read things better lol
      Last edited by _a2coupe2a_; 10-03-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      10-03-2012 10:29 PM #319
      You and Slonie can stay in the guest room. If you guys don't want to share a bed, one of you can sleep in the adjoining bathroom. If you're not half as entertaining as I hear, I'm going to be pissed.

Bring one of those cars you won't buy, too. Those are all sweet.
      I like this guy.

it's the car God would make if he made a car.
      and a sadist.

how the hell did i miss you becoming a mod?
      what?! where?

Vehicles
      e46 Touring
      10-03-2012 10:39 PM #320
      lol thought it said moderator.. need to read more carefully

Vehicles
      2007 Carrera S, 2003 Passat GLX Wagon, 2004 Passat GLX Sedan (MT!)
      10-03-2012 10:54 PM #321
      Figure $500-$1k a year for routine things and $6k to $8k for a major service every 5 years which is belts, valve adjustment, seals, gaskets, injectors removed and cleaned, various odds and ends. It could be more or could be less depending on the car and the needs but that's a good benchmark. I think that a clutch runs $3k for parts and labor but I'm not 100% sure on that. The clutch can last a while. The car has so much torque you just come off the clutch slowly and when it's off all the way you get on the gas. It's when people rev it up and then come off the clutch they don't last.
      This is amazingly reasonable. I pray that you're being a bit generous (to the F40) in quoting these kinds of costs, as this is at least what I'll spend on an annual basis for my DD 997. Otherwise, I may just have to start moving some funds around to see if I can pick up one of these myself* (*totally kidding, I would have to sleep in the car to afford it...not to mention also stock up on bagels).

Congrats OP. Looking forward to your future contributions and info sharings regarding your supreme dream car ownership experience!!

Vehicles
      e46 Touring
      10-03-2012 11:06 PM #322
      I know people that pay more keeping their mk1-2 vw's on the road lol

23. Banned
      10-03-2012 11:14 PM #323
      Ferdinand Porche recently died. When he went to heaven, God greeted him at the gates and took him into heaven and greeted him. The first thing he did was take FP to his new house - a nice bungalow with a beautiful silver Porsche 959 in the driveway. The good doctor was so excited he asked God if they could take a drive around with it. God said sure. They drove around and before long, they came to a large Italian villa with a Ferrari flag on the roof and an F40 sitting shining in the driveway.

Dr. Porsche was suddenly deflated and he turned to God and said, "God. I have been a good person. I have helped to build my family's company, built great sports cars and won many championships. Why does Enzo Ferrari have a house so much nicer than mine?"

Then use the 959 as the DD and the F40 as the garage queen!

Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      10-03-2012 11:16 PM #324
      I know people that pay more keeping their mk1-2 vw's on the road lol
      True!
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2013 Focus ST
      10-03-2012 11:55 PM #325
      Ferdinand Porche recently died. When he went to heaven, God greeted him at the gates and took him into heaven and greeted him. The first thing he did was take FP to his new house - a nice bungalow with a beautiful silver Porsche 959 in the driveway. The good doctor was so excited he asked God if they could take a drive around with it. God said sure. They drove around and before long, they came to a large Italian villa with a Ferrari flag on the roof and an F40 sitting in the garage which is now engulphed in flames.

Fixed

Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast