Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Look what Internet Meme sent me in the mail today!

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      10-03-2012 11:17 PM #316
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      Whoa. Wait. What? What the hell is going on here?
      Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
      I actually took these pics last week when I was getting all the Internet Meme crap and people were calling BS on me.

how the **** did I miss all this?

Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      10-03-2012 11:22 PM #317
      All it took were those simple pictures and I would have believed you right from the start! Still a cool but strange (IMHO) collection of cars.

Vehicles
      e46 Touring
      10-03-2012 11:22 PM #318
      Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      Wow i need to read things better lol
      Last edited by _a2coupe2a_; 10-03-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 11:29 PM #319
      You and Slonie can stay in the guest room. If you guys don't want to share a bed, one of you can sleep in the adjoining bathroom. If you're not half as entertaining as I hear, I'm going to be pissed.

Bring one of those cars you won't buy, too. Those are all sweet.
      I like this guy.

it's the car God would make if he made a car.
      and a sadist.

Quote Originally Posted by _a2coupe2a_ View Post
      how the hell did i miss you becoming a mod?
      what?! where?

Vehicles
      e46 Touring
      10-03-2012 11:39 PM #320
      lol thought it said moderator.. need to read more carefully

Vehicles
      2007 Carrera S, 2003 Passat GLX Wagon, 2004 Passat GLX Sedan (MT!)
      10-03-2012 11:54 PM #321
      Figure $500-$1k a year for routine things and $6k to $8k for a major service every 5 years which is belts, valve adjustment, seals, gaskets, injectors removed and cleaned, various odds and ends. It could be more or could be less depending on the car and the needs but that's a good benchmark. I think that a clutch runs $3k for parts and labor but I'm not 100% sure on that. The clutch can last a while. The car has so much torque you just come off the clutch slowly and when it's off all the way you get on the gas. It's when people rev it up and then come off the clutch they don't last.
      This is amazingly reasonable. I pray that you're being a bit generous (to the F40) in quoting these kinds of costs, as this is at least what I'll spend on an annual basis for my DD 997. Otherwise, I may just have to start moving some funds around to see if I can pick up one of these myself* (*totally kidding, I would have to sleep in the car to afford it...not to mention also stock up on bagels).

Congrats OP. Looking forward to your future contributions and info sharings regarding your supreme dream car ownership experience!!

Vehicles
      e46 Touring
      10-04-2012 12:06 AM #322
      I know people that pay more keeping their mk1-2 vw's on the road lol

8. Banned
      10-04-2012 12:14 AM #323
      Ferdinand Porche recently died. When he went to heaven, God greeted him at the gates and took him into heaven and greeted him. The first thing he did was take FP to his new house - a nice bungalow with a beautiful silver Porsche 959 in the driveway. The good doctor was so excited he asked God if they could take a drive around with it. God said sure. They drove around and before long, they came to a large Italian villa with a Ferrari flag on the roof and an F40 sitting shining in the driveway.

Dr. Porsche was suddenly deflated and he turned to God and said, "God. I have been a good person. I have helped to build my family's company, built great sports cars and won many championships. Why does Enzo Ferrari have a house so much nicer than mine?"

God looked at him and said," That's not Enzo Ferrari's house. That's mine."
      Then use the 959 as the DD and the F40 as the garage queen!

Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Typ 17 AAZ, '88 Typ 53b 9A
      10-04-2012 12:16 AM #324
      Quote Originally Posted by _a2coupe2a_ View Post
      I know people that pay more keeping their mk1-2 vw's on the road lol
      True!
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '86 Scirocco PL, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

Vehicles
      2013 Focus ST, 2015 Mustang GT
      10-04-2012 12:55 AM #325
      Ferdinand Porche recently died. When he went to heaven, God greeted him at the gates and took him into heaven and greeted him. The first thing he did was take FP to his new house - a nice bungalow with a beautiful silver Porsche 959 in the driveway. The good doctor was so excited he asked God if they could take a drive around with it. God said sure. They drove around and before long, they came to a large Italian villa with a Ferrari flag on the roof and an F40 sitting in the garage which is now engulphed in flames.

Dr. Porsche was suddenly deflated and he turned to God and said, "God. I have been a good person. I have helped to build my family's company, built great sports cars and won many championships. Why does Enzo Ferrari have a house so much nicer than mine?"

Fixed

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      10-04-2012 03:35 AM #326
      Ferdinand Porche recently died. When he went to heaven, God greeted him at the gates and took him into heaven and greeted him. The first thing he did was take FP to his new house - a nice bungalow with a beautiful silver Porsche 959 in the driveway. The good doctor was so excited he asked God if they could take a drive around with it. God said sure. They drove around and before long, they came to a large Italian villa with a Ferrari flag on the roof and an F40 sitting shining in the driveway.

Fun Fact: Enzo wouldn't have sold God a new Ferrari F40.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      10-04-2012 05:12 AM #327
      The euro seats are one piece with cut outs for harnesses while the us ones are two piece with slots in the lower portion for the lap belt.
      Could you "Europeanize" your car? The Euro seats are so much more "racecar" and also, the black bumper bits make the exterior a lil' messy.
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

10-04-2012 08:46 AM #328
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post

14. 10-04-2012 09:04 AM #329
      I just wanted to say "Thanks" for sharing. That's all. Nice car dude.

Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else, '73 Carrera RS, and Carrera 4
      10-04-2012 09:35 AM #330
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Could you "Europeanize" your car? The Euro seats are so much more "racecar" and also, the black bumper bits make the exterior a lil' messy.
      I disagree that the euro car looks better. the black bumpers are really well done and provide the right accents. To each his own, though.

Regarding the seats, I have been in both seats and as cool as the euro seats look, they're not a comfortable and the harness belts are a PITA. That said, my car can accept those and has the eyelets for the harness anchors.

Fun fact, the US cars have at least 22hp more than the euro cars in order to offset the extra 120lbs or so. They are all rated at "500 hp and above."

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 09:37 AM #331
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      You're probably right. He would have to buy the Pope's.

17. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      10-04-2012 09:39 AM #332
      Quote Originally Posted by RQ1 View Post

Vehicles
      Bent M
      10-04-2012 01:08 PM #333
      When I see the F40, and I see what an icon it has become, I can't help but wonder why Ferrari essentially abandoned turbochargers after it.

I realize that there is nothing quite like the shriek of an 458 Italia at 9,000 RPMS, but imagine if the F50 or enzo had turbocharged V8's putting down ridiculous numbers.

It's almost like Ferrari is overthinking it with the F70 -- with a hybrid power plant. Why not just Turbocharge the Ferrari FF Engine? I realize that Hybrid exotics are the new thing, but still. Why did Ferrari drop the turbocharger?
      I TCL.

10-04-2012 01:12 PM #334
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      When I see the F40, and I see what an icon it has become, I can't help but wonder why Ferrari essentially abandoned turbochargers after it.

I realize that there is nothing quite like the shriek of an 458 Italia at 9,000 RPMS, but imagine if the F50 or enzo had turbocharged V8's putting down ridiculous numbers.

It's almost like Ferrari is overthinking it with the F70 -- with a hybrid power plant. Why not just Turbocharge the Ferrari FF Engine? I realize that Hybrid exotics are the new thing, but still. Why did Ferrari drop the turbocharger?
      Just a guess (I really have no clue), but the F40 came out around the time that turbochargers were banned from F1. Assuming that Ferrari's F1 tech trickles down into their production cars, that would explain the move away from forced induction, and to low displacement, high revving N/A motors.

20. Banned
      10-04-2012 01:15 PM #335
      Quote Originally Posted by SVTDanny View Post
      Just a guess (I really have no clue), but the F40 came out around the time that turbochargers were banned from F1. Assuming that Ferrari's F1 tech trickles down into their production cars, that would explain the move away from forced induction, and to low displacement, high revving N/A motors.
      Future is looking bright for turbo-6's!

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 01:21 PM #336
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post

I think a lot of reasons, none of which I really agree with though.

First, turbocharging went out of F1 in the 80's when this was done and Ferrari dropped out of Group B rally (non started really) where turbocharging the 3 liter v8 was the thing. Secondly, the F40 sounds very un-Ferrari. It's a beast and I love it but it sounds nothing like a screaming v-12 that Ferrari is known for. Thirdly, due to the severe boost it is a very difficult car to drive well or fast. I think that it is too scary for many of the people who can afford them (now and when new). If I didn't have a background (small as it is) in motorsports racing I highly doubt I would like driving this as much as I do. Lastly, nostalgia. Ferrari made a big deal out of it's history with the v12 and it didn't seem right to make a flagship out of anything but a v12.

They really put everything to use when they made the F40, which is why it has been unrivaled since for feel or thrill and in many ways, outright violent performance. Yeah, I know the Enzo is faster and the 458 and stuff are too but I have driven the 458 really fast and as capable and incredible as it is, it does little for me in the way of excitement. I could reel off a list of modern fast sports cars that would read like an all star list that I feel the same way about.

I agree with the sentiments on the F70, too. Make a lighter car with less power, not more gadgets and KERS. However, what you have to remember is that they don't use these limited cars as exercises to please you or me, they use them as a way to showcase the world what they can do and what technology they have. It's more of a showcase.

10 years after it's release, I am only now starting to warm up the Enzo. No other car on the planet comes close to the F40 for me but for a long time I thought the Enzo was so dumb. Now it's starting to grow on me a little and I think it's sort of cool.
      Last edited by Sherpa23F; 10-04-2012 at 01:25 PM.

10-04-2012 01:30 PM #337
      Future is looking bright for turbo-6's!
      no; turbo 6es (if they ultimately end up in the cars at all) are just a patch/bridge, to when F1 cars are hybrid. why else would ferrari invest their halo into it? ***my ironic speculation; no actual f1 expertise is referenced or implied.***

as far ferrari and turbos, you know they'd be pushing veyron numbers by now if forced. but considering the weight/safety/tire/testing issues with that car, it doesn't exactly scream Brand Ferrari. not like the ff does, anyway.

the F40 is/was a car of its time. a really harmonious exploitation of the best of what was around.
      Last edited by roadtripper; 10-04-2012 at 01:34 PM.

23. Member
      10-04-2012 03:50 PM #338
      However, what you have to remember is that they don't use these limited cars as exercises to please you or me, they use them as a way to showcase the world what they can do and what technology they have. It's more of a showcase.
      This is what it's all about right here, progresses in technology.

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 04:17 PM #339
      I've been getting some pm's about the new F70 or whatever and whether I'm getting one.

First, I don't like having the latest and greatest of anything and I'm not really interested. As I said before, I am only now starting to warm up to the Enzo. Maybe I'm getting old. When the F40 came out, I fell in love. When the 348 came out, I fell in love, when the 355 came out, I fell in love. When the 360 came out, not so much, 430 little more but not so much, 458, better but not so much. Everything from the Boxer to the 355 was amazing, since then, I just don't like them as much and really don't feel any need to have to have the latest and greatest. So, the cars Ferrari makes now are really awesome but not quite my style or taste like some of their older stuff. I'm sure it will be an awesome car and I will love to see it but won't have any desire to own it.

Second, there is no way I can afford to spend the money on one, which will probably be $1.3mm or so.

Third, none of this matters one bit because even if I loved them and had all the cash to buy it and I wanted one more than anything in the world, I am not high enough on Ferrari's food chain for them to sell it to me.
      Last edited by Sherpa23F; 10-04-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Vehicles
      1999 Nissan Quest GLE, 2009 Nissan GT-R
      10-04-2012 06:13 PM #340
      Me mad jelly.

I've only driven it in video games like Gran Turismo 5.
      Free 1SICKLEX

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A4 2.0T
      10-04-2012 06:22 PM #341
      I've been getting some pm's about the new F70 or whatever and whether I'm getting one.

First, I don't like having the latest and greatest of anything and I'm not really interested. As I said before, I am only now starting to warm up to the Enzo. Maybe I'm getting old. When the F40 came out, I fell in love. When the 348 came out, I fell in love, when the 355 came out, I fell in love. When the 360 came out, not so much, 430 little more but not so much, 458, better but not so much. Everything from the Boxer to the 355 was amazing, since then, I just don't like them as much and really don't feel any need to have to have the latest and greatest. So, the cars Ferrari makes now are really awesome but not quite my style or taste like some of their older stuff. I'm sure it will be an awesome car and I will love to see it but won't have any desire to own it.

Second, there is no way I can afford to spend the money on one, which will probably be $1.3mm or so.

Third, none of this matters one bit because even if I loved them and had all the cash to buy it and I wanted one more than anything in the world, I am not high enough on Ferrari's food chain for them to sell it to me.

Are you interested in any F-Car 2+2's? 456? 612?
      Last edited by 612Scag; 10-04-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Question
      The carpet pissers did this?!

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 06:29 PM #342
      Quote Originally Posted by 612Scag View Post

Are you interested in any F-Car 2+2's? 456? 612?
      I like a lot of them but not all. I like the 308 GT4, Mondial 3.2, 456M, and the FF.

I did drive a 612 the other day and it was okay but I was a little disappointed with what it is for the money. The right one, with the right color combo at the right price would be pretty great though.

I was in an FF the other day and it's extraordinarily well done and has really grown on me. The back seats are real seats and there is room for all sorts of things. I have a feeling in about 10 years they will be pretty great buys.
      Last edited by Sherpa23F; 10-04-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Vehicles
      1998 e36 M3 and 2004 Z71 Tahoe
      10-04-2012 06:38 PM #343
      x2...but it's awesome none the less! Glad to have you here OP and thanks for humoring TCL with bagels!

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A4 2.0T
      10-04-2012 06:43 PM #344
      I like a lot of them but not all. I like the 308 GT4, Mondial 3.2, 456M, and the FF.

I did drive a 612 the other day and it was okay but I was a little disappointed with what it is for the money. The right one, with the right color combo at the right price would be pretty great though.

I was in an FF the other day and it's extraordinarily well done and has really grown on me. The back seats are real seats and there is room for all sorts of things. I have a feeling in about 10 years they will be pretty great buys.

456M seems to be a timeless design...

the 2+2s are probably some of the "best buys" as they are generally the most expensive models (aside from the supercars; F40, F50, Enzo, etc.) when new...seems that most folks don't prefer them, so they depreciate like a some-b****

612s can already be had for $100-120 with pretty low miles, and you could get a clean 456M (under 10K miles) for $75K.

BTW, thanks for sharing your pics and info!

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 06:58 PM #345
      Quote Originally Posted by 612Scag View Post
      456M seems to be a timeless design...

the 2+2s are probably some of the "best buys" as they are generally the most expensive models (aside from the supercars; F40, F50, Enzo, etc.) when new...seems that most folks don't prefer them, so they depreciate like a some-b****

612s can already be had for $100-120 with pretty low miles, and you could get a clean 456M (under 10K miles) for $75K.

BTW, thanks for sharing your pics and info!
      The best buy in the whole Ferrari world is the 550 Maranello. That is an amazing car and a great one is $70k. It's an amazing GT with real Ferrari feel. The 456, it's 2+2 twin is really more like $60k for a very good one. Scagliettis are still over $100k and for some reason I don't think they're as great as the others. 599's will be $130k in 3 years. It does sort of make you chuckle as the 2+2's are the spendiest of the new cars. Hell, I rarely see a new FF for less than $385k. That is serious money.

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A4 2.0T
      10-05-2012 09:44 AM #346
      The best buy in the whole Ferrari world is the 550 Maranello. That is an amazing car and a great one is $70k. It's an amazing GT with real Ferrari feel. The 456, it's 2+2 twin is really more like $60k for a very good one. Scagliettis are still over $100k and for some reason I don't think they're as great as the others. 599's will be $130k in 3 years. It does sort of make you chuckle as the 2+2's are the spendiest of the new cars. Hell, I rarely see a new FF for less than $385k. That is serious money.
      And I am still madly in love with 550's! Helluva deal!

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A4 2.0T
      10-05-2012 12:13 PM #347
      A couple of my favorites...

456M w/ Tubi exhaust

Plus 575 wheels

69 Daytona

Plus Borranis

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 05:31 PM #348
      456M is the best... that and the 412i

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A4 2.0T
      10-05-2012 06:27 PM #349
      456M is the best... that and the 412i

35. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      10-05-2012 06:41 PM #350
      I never warmed up to the looks of the 456. But the 550...that's a true GT in the old school Ferrari tradition. Love it. And they aren't terrible to buy these days. Now maintaining it is another matter, of course...

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast