VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Look what Internet Meme sent me in the mail today!

217K views 874 replies 263 participants last post by  dntdrvslow 
#1 ·
A whole stack of F40 LM parts? Internet Meme, no way! You are WAY too nice to me!

LM rear wheels with new Pirelli P Zero Rossa? What?

The fronts too?

And huge LM Brembo brakes for all four corners? Internet Meme, you shouldn't have!

And to finish it off a full inconel LM exhaust? Wow, Internet Meme, you're the best!!!

And to think, all this time I didn't know what everyone was talking about with all this Internet Meme talk I keep spammed with. I guess you really are real. Wow.

See less See more
#97 ·
I'm sorry I couldn't make it last weekend. Slonie and I will be arriving shortly. Please clean out the Audi's rear hatch so that he can sleep there, as promised :p.

#98 ·
I just started reading the Internet Meme F40 thread. I am only about 1/3 through but it's pretty crazy to me.

First of all, he seems to know a little bit of what he's talking about. There are some things that are way off but some things right. Also, he doesn't sound like a nutcase (but I still have a lot more reading to do). I have not gotten to any parts where he says what he does or how much he makes or anything, only that he's jetlagged.

But the crazy thing is that he makes lots of Fchat references. Now I don't know tons about everything that goes on over there but I have a hard time thinking that either I don't know his posts or that no one I know knows his posts. But to the best of my recollection, there's nothing like this over there, no guy in the UK on the hunt for an F40. If he were, there would be two guys at least who would know all about it.

I don't know, it's a crazy world and honestly, the part of the thread that I just read has me perplexed. It's also really saddening to me for some reason. I'll keep reading.

Derek, did you ever see that thread?

#103 ·
Sherpa,
There are important lessons to be garnered from Internetmeme's original thread.

1. He burned TCL very badly because we wanted to believe.
  2. TCL has a disproportionately long memory.
  3. There are very clever people here who have secret ninja Jeet Kune Do researching skills.
  4. TCL doesn't forgive a liar and a faker.
  5. TCL is filled with wankers and jerks.

The last one is incidental to the rest, but, as you've discovered, it is the case.

That said, you make a hell of an entrance. I can't wait to see the follow up. :popcorn:

Welcome to The Car Lounge. Don't let the idjits bring you down.

#110 ·
I'm about halfway through that thread now. I'm starting to understand what the fuss was about.

And just to be clear - fun, games, and bagel pics aside - GTurboI (Derek) who is the Ferrari brand manager at the local F dealership, can vouch that I own that car. Not only has the car been there for some service work but they had to do the VIN verification when I bought it so that I could register it in Colorado. Also, Ferrari keeps track of what cars are where. I have a log in at the Ferrari.com and when I log in, it shows the pic of my F40, any notifications from the factory, and what was the last work it received from the dealership with the date and mileage. They make it everyone's job to know what's what.

#120 · (Edited)
Is this standard practice for all Ferraris or just the halo cars?
Honestly, I'm not sure. I never had anything like this with my 355 or 328, although on my log in Ferrari makes a note that I owned those cars, complete s/n's and the ownership period.

What year is your car and how many miles does it have? Can you tell us a little more history about it? What are Ferraris have you owned and what do you like about the F40? Thanks!
I have wanted an F40 since I was 12 or 14 or so. As I told my girlfriend about it: it's the car God would make if he made a car.

I had a 360 and 355 for a while, and ordered a 430 new but was going through a divorce when it came so the dealership bought it from me at a premium. I have never really like the new Ferraris that came after the 355 because they just feel too sterile. They're so competent and dumbed down that anyone can drive them. Consequently they only feel really Ferrari-like at crazy speeds. Now, I'm starting to change that thinking a little bit but still prefer that 80's and 90's era of car.

I realized that it was more fun to drive a rawer, slower car fast than a refined fast car slow. So I had a black 328 GTB for 7 years which is a fantastic car. It really has a lot of the feel and things that I love about the F40 and sometimes I regret selling it. If it weren't for the F40, I would never have sold it but I thought that taking care of two 20+ year old Ferraris would be a little too much for me as I'm pretty OCD. The GTB was raw and connected and robust, which is everything that the F40 is. It doesn't matter if you're going 15 mph or 150 mph, the car just feels special. The difference is that the F40 is all of that on steroids. You just roll down the street in second gear then step on the gas and the turbos spool up and the back tires start sliding around underneath you. I'm sure that there are a million hot rods that do this but it's a lot more than just the power - it's about the feel. I can't really describe it; it's just special. It's loaded with feel. The car has no power anything: no power steering, no traction control, not even power assisted brakes or ABS. You have to really stand on the brakes to make it stop. Lots of people complain about them but it's the only reminder sometimes that you're in a car that can kill you if you're not respectful.

They could only make a car like that one time. Only when they could make it fast enough with enough technology to be truly scary but before all the safety regulations to keep you from killing yourself. Ferrari really limited who they sold them to initially. Only race car drivers and special clients and you had to go pick it up at the factory to get a tutorial on how to drive it before you took possession. They relaxed that over time and it took 3 years for them to homologate them for the US and I think only 211 US cars were made.

I have a late 1990. I'm the third owner. It was sold new in Texas and was there until 1999 when it went to NorCal. Long story but I have been trying to buy it since 2006 and while the owner agreed to give me first rights to the car some time around then he wasn't ready to part with it until earlier this year. He called me and said that he thought the time had come to sell it as he wasn't driving it and not taking care of it and was feeling guilty about it. We came to an agreement on price and he gave me a couple of weeks to liquidate some things and do some rearranging so that it could happen. Next thing I know, it's on its way here.

One of the reasons that I wanted this particular car is because I knew so much of its history and where it was. I had also gotten to drive it a lot prior to buying it and I really bonded with it and never did I think that a car was more perfect for than this particular car. Of course, it sat a lot over the last few years and it was going to take some going through but that's a better scenario than one that was really ridden hard and put away wet. Plus it had some miles on it so I felt like I could really drive it and enjoy it. They're ****ty to own when you don't drive them because they're especially needy and what's the point of owning one if you're not going to drive it. They make for VERY expensive 1:1 models.

When it finally did come, McStiff drove over and we got it off the truck and started dialing it in. It didn't even start when it came because the truck driver left the hazards on and killed the battery. Anyways, a quick trip to AutoZone and we had it going. It's just gotten better and better. I flushed all the fluids, changed the air filters, fixed a couple of small issues like a non operating rad fan (wire came out of one of the relays, easy fix), saggy headliner (10 minutes to remove and take to an upholsterer and then 20 min install), and took it to my detailer for a proper polishing and sealing. Other than that, it's been a great car.

Long post but I hope that answers it.

#104 ·
OP,

Very nice car and very nice taste! I like both your previous Ferrari and the new ones. One of the best looking cars Ferrari ever made in my opinion.

...though I am not really feeling the new upgraded wheels. The 5-spoke star wheels, whatever they are actually called, look 1000000x better and more refined.

#106 ·
I'll record it for you just before I go to sleep next to the washing machine. I hope the fumes aren't poisonous :(.

#114 ·
Well... This is refreshing.

And as if you felt the need to tell TCL to "Go F**k itself." :laugh: 3/4's of the posters in this thread have likely fapped to your car by now. Now THAT is irony.

I have an odd obsession with the F40. I doubt i'll ever be able to afford one but if by some miracle i'm able to pull it off in my lifetime I will.

We'd like to see some videos of this thing if you get the chance. And I appreciate a good sense of humour so this was awesome.

Also, i'm not sure why everyone calls it "nutswinging". We'd be "nutswingers" if this was some bull**** trend. The car is a legend and the O.P. had an awesome approach to a funny situation. This is gonna go down in TCL history for sure. :beer:

#116 ·
This thread is nothing but win.

Nice apartment-size combo washer/dryer :D Good to see you're priorities are in the right place.

#131 ·
Haha, I remember the first thread, and nobody believed him....

Its nice to see the F40 is actually being driven and appreciated, rather than sitting in some showcase collecting dust.

#134 ·
You should have bought a GTO.

:D

#138 ·
I took it to the track once. Just did a few laps to get a feel. I actually have real track purpose stuff (not cars) so driving a street car, even one like this, doesn't feel as fun. That said for brief time I was on the track with it, it was really good. I just don't ever feel like street cars make super great track cars. On twisty back roads, however, this car is the greatest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.