Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Look what Internet Meme sent me in the mail today!

1. 10-02-2012 12:12 PM #176
      Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa23F View Post
      Yeah sorry. No pics. The one thing I will divulge is that it's built specifically to take Campagnolo's new Record EPS and really rides well without compromising weight or durability.
      Nice. Colorado seems to be a nice place bike riding... lots of bike friendly roads over there it seems. I bought an old Rossin bike with vintage dura-ace, still haven't ridden it around the streets where I live... way too dangerous, even to drive sometimes.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      10-02-2012 12:14 PM #177
      OP - where in CO are you located???? If you don't mind telling.
      Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      10-02-2012 12:19 PM #178
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      I'll record it for you just before I go to sleep next to the washing machine. I hope the fumes aren't poisonous .
      The fumes are coming from an F40, THEY ARE NOT POISONOUS, in fact studies show that they actually perform better than Juan Ponce de Leon's fountaing of Youth, just on wheels. That is why Ferrari built them in sucha low quantities and they are rare in the wild.

If you do record it post it up. And let us know how comfy the washing machine is, I might schedule a washing machine vacation just to hear THE F40 live.
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      On a scale from flaming bag of dog poop to drunken sex with a hot stripper... your car is a case of herpes from a girl you picked up at wal mart.

Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen Golf
      10-02-2012 12:46 PM #179
      ... six pages and nobody mentions they'd rather own a bagel with a 959 under it?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      DBP 08 .:R32
      10-02-2012 12:56 PM #180
      Without sounding like too much of a nutswinger, I hope..
      You sir, are my hero.
      For some reason I always imagined that an F40 owner would be a complete prick.
      You seem like a completely normal guy who just happens to have the ultimate Ferrari (in my opinion).
      I am also in for vids.

Rock on
      08 DBP .:R32
      92 Eagle Talon TSi

Vehicles
      Bent M
      10-02-2012 01:15 PM #181

So much win going on in here!
      DO YOU HAVE A TURBO MINI COOPER? BUY MY JB+: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...ml#post3982339
      2000 BMW M Roadster - 5-speed
      2014 Mazda Mazda6 - 6-speed

10-02-2012 01:20 PM #182
      Call it all you want. You're still wrong.

I'm going to need a picture of today's newspaper and a bagel with it to believe it.

10-02-2012 01:30 PM #183
      Came here suspecting foul play, leaving with a big grim !!

Vehicles
      20th GTI, B3000 4x4, 06 Night Rod
      10-02-2012 03:19 PM #184
      in
      You Won't do it...

Vehicles
      Period Correct
      10-02-2012 03:32 PM #185
      Agreed, i think it's going to look amazing on the Enkei's with huge binders.

Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else, '73 Carrera RS, and Carrera 4
      10-02-2012 03:39 PM #186
      I would end up looking like this:

That's a Michael Sheehan image, FYI.

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      10-02-2012 03:45 PM #187
      I actually like those wheels a bit better then the original ones.

With all of this F40 love (I do love that car) do you have any posts or write ups on your Audi? I don't want to detract from this thread as I do enjoy reading up on one of history's greatest cars. I was very close to getting a CQ years ago and it crosses my mind from time to time.
      Last edited by G0to60; 10-02-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 04:14 PM #188
      Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post

With all of this F40 love (I do love that car) do you have any posts or write ups on you Audi? I was very close to getting one years ago and it crosses my mind from time to time.
      I used to have a 1990 Corrado, by the way. Loved that car so much.

The Audi has been one of those labors of love. When I was 15-16 years old, that the THE unicorn for me. I lived in SoFl and they were really rare but I knew a couple of people who had them. I never got to drive one but I did get rides. I always thought it would be so cool to get one and put the S4 motor in it. I always said I would do that one day.

Well fast forward to my mid 30's and I started thinking about it again. Then I started looking around and saw that what I had envisioned so many years ago was popular and people were putting 3B and AAN 20vt I5 engines in these. So I started looking (that's how I met McStiff, who is THE go to guy for Audi Coupe knowledge here in Colorado) and stumbled across this one.

It was owned by an investment banker in NYC who had several CQ's over the the years but had an idea to make one as bad ass as possible. He found a low mile coupe out of California and and engine and turbo from a reseller in NY. He ordered a ton of real S2 parts the UK and Germany and over 3 years he built this. I bet he put $40k-$50k easy into it.

Some of the upgrades:

All kinds of S2 parts from the wiring harness to extra oil coolers and brackets to turbo lines to all the body parts.

All new engine/transmission/diff mounts from 034 as well as injectors and other go fast stuff.

Porsche 996 brakes all around.

The whole car was repainted and all the subframes and assemblies were removed, cleaned and powdercoated and essentially the whole car was rebuilt by the guy as a hobby/stress reliever (and you know how that goes).

Well, as you might expect there was one problem. The car didn't really run well. It sort of didn't run at all, actually. He said he was selling it to buy a C4s and I'm sure that was true but as with many things, this car was not quite as advertised. I honestly don't hold it against him as I got the car for a song compared to what it would take to build. Nevertheless, it's taken me most of a year to sort it out.

Right now, the car is running very well (knock on wood) basically thanks to two people: McStiff and Tufty Jones of S-Line Motorsports. Between the two of them and a lot of fiddling around in the garage, it's a pretty amazing car now.

It has about 300hp, handles well, is reasonably comfortable (I kind of want to put the Sparcos that I had in my old Ferrari), and is tons of fun. The only problem is that to get it to run properly at this altitude, the a/c had to come out. It sits right in the way of the radiator and with the thin air, the car runs way too hot with it in the way. So I decided it would be my fall/winter/spring car.

Once we did get it running okay, I did get stranded a couple of times. Once when the fuel pump died and once when the driver's side rear diff fell off (did I mention the guy put it together as a hobby?).

I am about halfway to where I need to be with it. I need to change the intercooler, reroute the intake routing with a high output manifold and tb relocation unit, change the rad fan, and some other things, more to eliminate the heat soak than for more ponies. Eventually I'll do a new suspension by S-Line in there too. As if that's not enough the carpet in there is a little rattier than I'd like and then I'll finish it up with some better cosmetics - duraglass the side skirts in body color, do some venting on the hood for the turbo, and do a better front bumper for a huge intercooler.

Glad I got it but boy has it been an adventure.

10-02-2012 04:19 PM #189
      I would end up looking like this:

That's a Michael Sheehan image, FYI.
      Don't get me wrong, it looks good with the Enkeis...just looks better with the OEM setup, IMO.
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI2Slow View Post
      If there is enough room to shoehorn a car seat in the back by the roll cage I think this might be the car to buy.

Vehicles
      2003 GTI 2013 Jetta TDI
      10-02-2012 04:27 PM #190
      Cool cars OP, and I learned something relevant to my life as well. What a great thread!

Quote Originally Posted by rlfletch View Post
      Ha,ha! Its like when your planning your wedding reception, NEVER tell them it's a wedding just tell them its a big party.

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI
      10-02-2012 04:33 PM #191
      I have been living in this thread since last night. Loving the stories.

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      10-02-2012 04:35 PM #192
      Awesome! Thanks for the write up. I had to ditch my AC in my Corrado because of heat problems but it doesn't get too hot here in Portland.

While I have the opportunity I've always wondered about the, for lack of a better term, nuts and bolts of the F40. With it being a stripped out, high strung super car is it put together pretty well. I guess I'm asking does it buzz and rattle when driving on anything but smooth roads or is it pretty composed?

18. 10-02-2012 04:39 PM #193

With all of this F40 love (I do love that car) do you have any posts or write ups on your Audi? I don't want to detract from this thread as I do enjoy reading up on one of history's greatest cars. I was very close to getting a CQ years ago and it crosses my mind from time to time.
      I was wondering about the CQ too,

The CQ looks really good with the S2 parts and the newer style hood conversion

19. 10-02-2012 04:45 PM #194
      I have nothing to add other than this thread is pretty much the kind of thing that keeps me coming back.

10-02-2012 04:50 PM #195
      How much does insurance cost on the F40 just out of curiosity? Do you have some special insurance coverage particular to exotics or is it done through Allstate or something like that? And you mentioned having a family (which I assume includes kids) how does the insurance handle having kids in the household with such an exotic car and the risk of damage or theft?
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      Tropic
      10-02-2012 04:50 PM #196
      Thank you for documenting this build. The F40 is hands down my dream car (OK, maybe a McLaren F1 as well), but it's great that you're willing to deal with all the TCL shenanigans in order to give us car enthusiasts a chance to see a rare build.

Just keep the updates coming, please! Photos are great, too

Cheers

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 04:51 PM #197
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      Oh the irony - first the InternetMeme debacle busted by sleuthing TCL detectives, now a real F40 owner tossing a bagel on his spoiler and telling TCL to go f*** itself.

Love it.

There's a guy nearby who regularly brings his F40 to the local cars and coffee. Out of all the crazy stuff I've seen there over the past couple years, that F40 is still tops in my book. In fact it might well be my favorite car evar.

If you ever see a guy in his 20's with a yellow 355 Berlinetta, that's a friend of mine. Tell him his buddy with the F40 in the Rockies says hello. He'll know what you're talking about.

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 04:54 PM #198
      Awesome! Thanks for the write up. I had to ditch my AC in my Corrado because of heat problems but it doesn't get too hot here in Portland.

While I have the opportunity I've always wondered about the, for lack of a better term, nuts and bolts of the F40. With it being a stripped out, high strung super car is it put together pretty well. I guess I'm asking does it buzz and rattle when driving on anything but smooth roads or is it pretty composed?
      Nope. It goes together pretty well. I've had a bunch of it apart in the garage and it all just goes in pretty nicely. The only things that sort of buzz are the roll up levers for the windows if you don't have the windows down or up. Everything inside is carbon fiber so there's no soft fabrics to dampen any vibration of things like that.

I'll post some pics of some of the stuff I've done with things apart.

24. Banned
      10-02-2012 04:55 PM #199
      Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
      A few people have poo-poo'd the Enkeis, but I love those things. If I had the cash I'd buy an F40 just so I could put those wheels on it. Way jelly!

Why buy Enkeis when you can spend more for HREs?

And Project Mu brakes on an F40?

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 04:57 PM #200
      Quote Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
      How much does insurance cost on the F40 just out of curiosity? Do you have some special insurance coverage particular to exotics or is it done through Allstate or something like that? And you mentioned having a family (which I assume includes kids) how does the insurance handle having kids in the household with such an exotic car and the risk of damage or theft?
      I insure it with Geico and it's not the most expensive car that I insure. One guess as to the winner of that one.

The kids are young but super careful. My garage is locked up and has a bunch of alarms and such. Consequently, the kids don't keep bikes or things in there and it's not used as entry or exit because of the locks and other security things. So they're not in there except when I'm working on the cars in which case, I built them a loft above my work bench so they can play or watch while I'm out there.

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 04:59 PM #201
      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      I was wondering about the CQ too,

The CQ looks really good with the S2 parts and the newer style hood conversion
      Every now and then I'll drive somewhere and follow one of the other local CQ's and always think what a good looking car it is, especially with all those visual updates.

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      10-02-2012 05:00 PM #202
      Awesome thread. After seeing what people were saying to you in the first thread, I thought you would have left, not wanting to deal with a bunch of pissed off forum members.

28. Banned
      10-02-2012 05:00 PM #203
      The kids are young but super careful. My garage is locked up and has a bunch of alarms and such. Consequently, the kids don't keep bikes or things in there and it's not used as entry or exit because of the locks and other security things. So they're not in there except when I'm working on the cars in which case, I built them a loft above my work bench so they can play or watch while I'm out there.
      Best dad ever: makes the kids FEAR his wrath instead of tempting it

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      10-02-2012 05:16 PM #204
      Quote Originally Posted by Robski92 View Post
      I have been living in this thread since last night. Loving the stories.
      Can you get out of the bathroom? You've been in there for like 30 minutes, I need to take a leak.

(this thread only has one bathroom)
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      MkV R32, Focus Electric
      10-02-2012 05:17 PM #205
      Nice S2 replica. You and I have a lot in common as I owned a 1990 Corrado before it got trashed by a DD and then I picked up a red Coupe Quattro. My only mod was a set of 16" ABT wheels. Am I the only guy who doesn't care for the European S2 grill? I always thought they looked tacked on the 90's and Coupes of that era. I preferred the clean stock grill. Hopefully our car buying similarities will continue some day for me.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Mercedes typically makes awful manual transmissions and fantastic auto transmissions. Choosing the stick would be like saying, "Y'know, that Natalie Portman is pretty hot, but if she grew some hair on her legs and had a dong, she'd be just right."
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Was it parked on the curb on garbage day?

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      10-02-2012 05:21 PM #206
      If you ever see a guy in his 20's with a yellow 355 Berlinetta, that's a friend of mine. Tell him his buddy with the F40 in the Rockies says hello. He'll know what you're talking about.
      Will do; can't remember if I've ran across this guy.

I stumbled on a photo a while back (somewhere on TCL, I think....) about your Audi and but didn't know the whole story on the build behind that car. Also a very cool ride.
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5 [current]
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

Vehicles
      '15 WRX Limited HK 6MT, '14 370Z Sport 6MT SRM, '99 Camry CE 4AT
      10-02-2012 05:22 PM #207
      I know OP isn't trying to be cool and is super modest but that just makes him way cooler. I has a man crush

Everything about this thread is DIR

I also have the same car OP does, a Honda Fit, so I'm kinda like the OP too

10-02-2012 05:45 PM #208
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiny4cyl View Post
      I know OP isn't trying to be cool and is super modest but that just makes him way cooler. I has a man crush

Everything about this thread is DIR

I also have the same car OP does, a Honda Fit, so I'm kinda like the OP too
      Sherpa also shaves his legs
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI2Slow View Post
      If there is enough room to shoehorn a car seat in the back by the roll cage I think this might be the car to buy.

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 05:59 PM #209
      Quote Originally Posted by GTurboI View Post
      Don't knock it, bro. The ladies love it!

I kid, I kid.

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      10-02-2012 06:03 PM #210
      Quote Originally Posted by GTurboI View Post
      Well that's good news, at least my balls won't get chaffed when i'm leg humping.

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast