Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Suspension questions regarding 24v gti

Vehicles
      silverstone 24V gti
      10-01-2012 08:57 PM #1
      Hey guys. I've ran into some problems with my current coilovers (rokkor) so I'm looking into replacing them for either a new coil over set or possibly even a spring shock combo.

My front end bottoms out very often and a buddy of mine said that the springs aren't valved for the weight of the vr. Although this makes sense due to them being only ride height adjustable, I'm not 100% on it. Or would a simple front end refresh fix it all?

If you guys can help point me in the right direction in terms of daily drivability and performance while still achieving low(eliminate wheel gap,not tuck tire) that would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
      "If I had all the money I've spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars"

VRAlliance#23

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat 2.0, 2012 Golf TDi 2015 GTI SE
      10-02-2012 08:22 PM #2
      Springs are not valved, damper/shocks are. What are the current spring rates? does the car pogo over bumps?

I looked up the spring rates and they appear to be ~ 350 in/lbs front and rear. That is a pretty good street rate for sure...perhaps the dampers are shot...or the spring length is too short.

You state the car is bottoming out, but from the pictures the springs appear to be very short...a heavier rate spring has a thicker coil...you have to be a little concerned with a springs block height - essentially its travel. Block height is the height of the spring fully compressed. Your springs may be "bottoming out"
      Last edited by meboice; 10-02-2012 at 08:29 PM.