Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 31 of 31

    Thread: Rust prevention opinions needed

    1. Member Mr.Broke's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 29th, 2011
      Location
      860 CT
      Posts
      7,286
      Vehicles
      mk3's
      10-01-2012 11:56 PM #1
      I just picked up a Gti with basically zero rust..anywhere.
      This is actually my first Mk3 that didn't have some whole somewhere.( It's about number 12)
      My question is..
      How can I keep it this way?
      I live in New England with no garage.
      Is there something I can spray the whole undercarriage that would prevent rust and worse rot.
      TIA
      Last edited by Mr.Broke; 10-02-2012 at 03:08 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by mk2stutter View Post
      its a car forum not a my search dick is bigger than your search dick forum.

    2. 10-02-2012 01:00 AM #2
      From what i gathered. long term is NO. Short term is yes.
      No you cant stop the bottom from rusting. The way they are made- the welds allow for some moment that ultimately cracks the undercoating and lets moisture in. I guarantee you that there is some rust under that undercoating. Look over it with a fine tooth comb and find ANY cracks or tiny seams that are starting and seal them up. aka take off the undercoating in that spot and re coat with some epoxy paint and then re coat. should buy some time. Any tiny scratches or cracks will develop into rust. Every 6 months i do an inspection on my car head to toe while its up for tire rotation and oil changes and i look at all the undersides and such. its a battle to keep it sealed up and for spots to not get worse. I'm just repairing a band aid until its time for a strip/weld/paint job.

    3. Banned VT-MKJett's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 25th, 2011
      Location
      VT
      Posts
      2,335
      Vehicles
      95 Jetta 2.0, LG7N Golf Sport, 98 Cab
      10-02-2012 01:55 AM #3

    4. Member brobs is back's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 22nd, 2008
      Location
      gravel pit, IA
      Posts
      14,315
      Vehicles
      golfs on junior cupkits with a side of chalet sauce... jetta ecodiesel w/snailtrail
      10-02-2012 11:07 AM #4
      spray everything down with bar and chain oil periodically over the winter

      also.. even though it's cold as balls, get your car washed every once in a while.
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul Harley
      yo, is that a wolf?
      MODS IN THE SIG: MY MODS IS IN THE SIG!

    5. Banned VT-MKJett's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 25th, 2011
      Location
      VT
      Posts
      2,335
      Vehicles
      95 Jetta 2.0, LG7N Golf Sport, 98 Cab
      10-03-2012 09:03 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by brobs is back View Post
      spray everything down with bar and chain oil periodically over the winter

      also.. even though it's cold as balls, get your car washed every once in a while.
      Enlighten me about this bar n chain oil thing. You have done this? I must say that's a real good idea. What do you do heat it up and spray it with what?

    6. Member brobs is back's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 22nd, 2008
      Location
      gravel pit, IA
      Posts
      14,315
      Vehicles
      golfs on junior cupkits with a side of chalet sauce... jetta ecodiesel w/snailtrail
      10-03-2012 09:27 PM #6
      it comes in aerosol cans



      just periodically douse the **** out of all areas exposed to salt. it won't hurt your car just will make it dirty as hell
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul Harley
      yo, is that a wolf?
      MODS IN THE SIG: MY MODS IS IN THE SIG!

    7. Banned VT-MKJett's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 25th, 2011
      Location
      VT
      Posts
      2,335
      Vehicles
      95 Jetta 2.0, LG7N Golf Sport, 98 Cab
      10-03-2012 09:38 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by brobs is back View Post
      it comes in aerosol cans



      just periodically douse the **** out of all areas exposed to salt. it won't hurt your car just will make it dirty as hell
      I see. I was thinking of the real thick bar n chain oil that's like syrup. That's a good idea for us winter warriors

    8. Member brobs is back's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 22nd, 2008
      Location
      gravel pit, IA
      Posts
      14,315
      Vehicles
      golfs on junior cupkits with a side of chalet sauce... jetta ecodiesel w/snailtrail
      10-03-2012 09:40 PM #8
      I mean the thicker stuff would work but you'd probably have to slather it on with a paintbrush and goodluck washing it off
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul Harley
      yo, is that a wolf?
      MODS IN THE SIG: MY MODS IS IN THE SIG!

    9. Banned VT-MKJett's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 25th, 2011
      Location
      VT
      Posts
      2,335
      Vehicles
      95 Jetta 2.0, LG7N Golf Sport, 98 Cab
      10-03-2012 09:46 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by brobs is back View Post
      I mean the thicker stuff would work but you'd probably have to slather it on with a paintbrush and goodluck washing it off
      Ha...very true.

    10. Member Mr.Broke's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 29th, 2011
      Location
      860 CT
      Posts
      7,286
      Vehicles
      mk3's
      10-04-2012 09:19 PM #10
      Nice,thanks for the opinions fellas.
      Anything else?
      Quote Originally Posted by mk2stutter View Post
      its a car forum not a my search dick is bigger than your search dick forum.

    11. Member jstn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 18th, 2008
      Location
      boston, ma
      Posts
      1,561
      Vehicles
      '97 tdi vnt, '03 tdi wagon
      10-04-2012 09:31 PM #11
      The best you could do is to strip all the undercoating off, check and replace any rust issues, and then thoroughly reapply a heavy duty undercoating to the underside of everything (floors, wheel wells, gas tank area, rockers, and so on).

      During the winter I'd make sure you keep the underside as clean as you can, especially after the roads are salted.

      Ultimately it'll rust because the panels weren't treated like the mk4's were. Your best bet is to garage it and daily something newer....

      justin

    12. Member ZACHER3tuning's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 12th, 2008
      Location
      The High Desert...
      Posts
      7,731
      Vehicles
      3 MK3 GTI VR6'''s...
      10-04-2012 10:27 PM #12
      just garage her for the winter, and get a beater
      Geld und Macht bringt korruption!!!
      Von allen je gebauten volkswagens,steht man Kopf über den rest,den mk3 golf VR6

      "stop telling lies about me, and ill stop telling the truth about you"...MD.
      WWW.1stVWparts.com

    13. Banned VT-MKJett's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 25th, 2011
      Location
      VT
      Posts
      2,335
      Vehicles
      95 Jetta 2.0, LG7N Golf Sport, 98 Cab
      10-04-2012 10:35 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by jstn View Post
      The best you could do is to strip all the undercoating off, check and replace any rust issues, and then thoroughly reapply a heavy duty undercoating to the underside of everything (floors, wheel wells, gas tank area, rockers, and so on).

      During the winter I'd make sure you keep the underside as clean as you can, especially after the roads are salted.

      Ultimately it'll rust because the panels weren't treated like the mk4's were. Your best bet is to garage it and daily something newer....

      justin
      Quote Originally Posted by ZACHER3tuning View Post
      just garage her for the winter, and get a beater
      Yeah that is the best advice...If you own a f'in garage!

    14. Member heerschap's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2009
      Location
      ontario
      Posts
      482
      Vehicles
      97 Ginster DE/95 Jetta GLX (RIP)
      10-04-2012 10:53 PM #14
      Try this if you can get it. http://www.rustcheck.com/I use the red can (rust inhibitor). pull all the black rubber plugs out from your floor, doors, hatch, etc and spray it in all those holes, in all directions and all your seams, etc. this stuff will creep up your inner door panel like 10 inches and it soaks right through the smallest of pin holes.

    15. Member jstn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 18th, 2008
      Location
      boston, ma
      Posts
      1,561
      Vehicles
      '97 tdi vnt, '03 tdi wagon
      10-04-2012 10:53 PM #15
      I actually rent a garage... but I'll own two bays soon!

      justin

    16. Banned VT-MKJett's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 25th, 2011
      Location
      VT
      Posts
      2,335
      Vehicles
      95 Jetta 2.0, LG7N Golf Sport, 98 Cab
      10-04-2012 10:59 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by jstn View Post
      I actually rent a garage... but I'll own two bays soon!

      justin
      Where I live it is like 195$ a month to store a car in an unheated/no electricity storage unit. It sucks. It would be cheaper to find a beater, but the beaters where I live go for big bucks! They are in high demand I guess.

    17. Member heerschap's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2009
      Location
      ontario
      Posts
      482
      Vehicles
      97 Ginster DE/95 Jetta GLX (RIP)
      10-04-2012 11:06 PM #17
      a car can still rust in a garage.

    18. Member TDIblitzkrieg's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2010
      Location
      Lancaster, PA
      Posts
      216
      Vehicles
      1998 Jetta TDI, 1981 Jetta
      10-04-2012 11:07 PM #18
      I drilled some holes on the inside edge of the floorboards where they meet the rocker (under the carpet of course- put some rubber plugs in there) that I use to spray fluid film into. The pinch weld area is insanely prone to rust build up due to so many pieces of metal coming together. Ditto the exhaust tunnel seams. The undercoat there is pretty thin and cracks easily from movement.

    19. Banned VT-MKJett's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 25th, 2011
      Location
      VT
      Posts
      2,335
      Vehicles
      95 Jetta 2.0, LG7N Golf Sport, 98 Cab
      10-04-2012 11:11 PM #19
      MK3's seem to rust just by looking at them.

    20. Member heerschap's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2009
      Location
      ontario
      Posts
      482
      Vehicles
      97 Ginster DE/95 Jetta GLX (RIP)
      10-04-2012 11:12 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by VT-MKJett View Post
      MK3's seem to rust just by looking at them.

    21. Member ZACHER3tuning's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 12th, 2008
      Location
      The High Desert...
      Posts
      7,731
      Vehicles
      3 MK3 GTI VR6'''s...
      10-04-2012 11:12 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by heerschap View Post
      a car can still rust in a garage.
      right, if put away dirty...If you clean it properly, and dont use it when there is salt on the road, you can preserve her.
      Geld und Macht bringt korruption!!!
      Von allen je gebauten volkswagens,steht man Kopf über den rest,den mk3 golf VR6

      "stop telling lies about me, and ill stop telling the truth about you"...MD.
      WWW.1stVWparts.com

    22. Member heerschap's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2009
      Location
      ontario
      Posts
      482
      Vehicles
      97 Ginster DE/95 Jetta GLX (RIP)
      10-04-2012 11:16 PM #22
      a dehumidifier would help too.

    23. Member jstn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 18th, 2008
      Location
      boston, ma
      Posts
      1,561
      Vehicles
      '97 tdi vnt, '03 tdi wagon
      10-05-2012 12:09 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by heerschap View Post
      a car can still rust in a garage.
      yeah maybe if it's a barn or your missing a side of the building.

      the garage I rent is two bays and unheated. I've stored my mk4 r32 there for years with no issues and i now store my mk3 tdi there.

      as stated, keep the humidity down, wax her up nice and always, always, always cover your car! (with a legit all weather cover: IE. California Car Cover) you'll never have a problem...

      justin

    24. Banned VT-MKJett's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 25th, 2011
      Location
      VT
      Posts
      2,335
      Vehicles
      95 Jetta 2.0, LG7N Golf Sport, 98 Cab
      10-05-2012 01:08 AM #24
      What does it cost to rent something like that around Boston? I almost had a 2 bay garage for 185$ a month and it had electricity, but some skeezer beat me to it by a day. It was a five minute walk from my apartment too. Do car covers absorb moisture or something?

    25. Member furryrabbit84's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2003
      Location
      CA-The CRAPPY PART.
      Posts
      618
      Vehicles
      98 Ginster MK3 GTi, 2004 PG GLI, 1987 silver GLI MK2, Satin Silver 1993 Corrado SLC
      10-05-2012 06:22 AM #25
      This might be a GOOD use for plasti-dip. What you want to do is create as much of a barrier as possible between moisture and the exposed metal areas of the car. Fighting corrosion is about half my job as an aircraft maintainer. If you had a semi-sheltered place to park it over the winter you could just encase it in tarp but then you have to worry about mice ect. The military used stuff called cosmoline to pack anything for long term storage. I would bet you could still find it around (it's one of the most costic chemicals around) and tarps soaked in that would KILL ANYTHING THAT ATE IT. Your best bet is to hit any potential spots with a rust converting primer then paint, make sure your paint is good (no underbody chips/ exposed metal) and wash off all the salt 2-3 times a week. Spraying lube at it would help as long you kept a good layer going ALWAYS. In the long run all metal is just trying to return to it's baser eliments so you'll never WIN that fight. Good luck.
      Aaron- When you have to notch your frame so you can set your car ALL THE WAY on the ground, you need to seriously evaluate your priorities.

    26. 10-05-2012 05:25 PM #26
      Pop out all of those rubber plugs in the rockers and hose down the insides with a cavity wax or oil. I use Eastwood Internal Frame Coating and Transtar Amber. Regarding the cracking undercoat, the only real fix is to strip the whole underside, paint and recoat.
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      I'm convinced you commuted through a salt mine.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk3_Addicted View Post
      Bariman82 is the king of rust patching...He is the guy you want to talk to.
      My take on fixing a rotten mk3.

    27. Banned VT-MKJett's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 25th, 2011
      Location
      VT
      Posts
      2,335
      Vehicles
      95 Jetta 2.0, LG7N Golf Sport, 98 Cab
      10-05-2012 07:01 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Bariman82 View Post
      Pop out all of those rubber plugs in the rockers and hose down the insides with a cavity wax or oil. I use Eastwood Internal Frame Coating and Transtar Amber. Regarding the cracking undercoat, the only real fix is to strip the whole underside, paint and recoat.
      Those midwest cars are rust magnets apparently.

    28. 10-05-2012 07:14 PM #28
      You should see how much salt we use. There's no reason to send the trucks out for a light dusting that doesn't even cover the road.
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      I'm convinced you commuted through a salt mine.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk3_Addicted View Post
      Bariman82 is the king of rust patching...He is the guy you want to talk to.
      My take on fixing a rotten mk3.

    29. Member Mr.Broke's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 29th, 2011
      Location
      860 CT
      Posts
      7,286
      Vehicles
      mk3's
      10-05-2012 08:02 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by furryrabbit84 View Post
      This might be a GOOD use for plasti-dip. What you want to do is create as much of a barrier as possible between moisture and the exposed metal areas of the car. Fighting corrosion is about half my job as an aircraft maintainer. If you had a semi-sheltered place to park it over the winter you could just encase it in tarp but then you have to worry about mice ect. The military used stuff called cosmoline to pack anything for long term storage. I would bet you could still find it around (it's one of the most costic chemicals around) and tarps soaked in that would KILL ANYTHING THAT ATE IT. Your best bet is to hit any potential spots with a rust converting primer then paint, make sure your paint is good (no underbody chips/ exposed metal) and wash off all the salt 2-3 times a week. Spraying lube at it would help as long you kept a good layer going ALWAYS. In the long run all metal is just trying to return to it's baser eliments so you'll never WIN that fight. Good luck.
      Quote Originally Posted by Bariman82 View Post
      Pop out all of those rubber plugs in the rockers and hose down the insides with a cavity wax or oil. I use Eastwood Internal Frame Coating and Transtar Amber. Regarding the cracking undercoat, the only real fix is to strip the whole underside, paint and recoat.

      The plastic dip sounds good for the undercarriage.
      The the Eastwood Internal Frame Coating is definitely on the to do list now.
      Thanks for all the replies.
      Quote Originally Posted by mk2stutter View Post
      its a car forum not a my search dick is bigger than your search dick forum.

    30. Banned VT-MKJett's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 25th, 2011
      Location
      VT
      Posts
      2,335
      Vehicles
      95 Jetta 2.0, LG7N Golf Sport, 98 Cab
      10-05-2012 08:47 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Bariman82 View Post
      You should see how much salt we use. There's no reason to send the trucks out for a light dusting that doesn't even cover the road.
      They use that big chunky rock salt don't they? They tend to mix it with sand/gravel in VT which is real bad. You get behind a car and all you hear is little stones hitting your car, as it gets slathered in salt. It's great.

    31. 10-06-2012 08:52 AM #31
      I guess I never really paid attention. Oh but I will be this year now that I have a new and freshly painted car that I'd like to keep that way for awhile.
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      I'm convinced you commuted through a salt mine.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk3_Addicted View Post
      Bariman82 is the king of rust patching...He is the guy you want to talk to.
      My take on fixing a rotten mk3.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •