Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rust prevention opinions needed

1. 10-05-2012 04:25 PM #26
      Pop out all of those rubber plugs in the rockers and hose down the insides with a cavity wax or oil. I use Eastwood Internal Frame Coating and Transtar Amber. Regarding the cracking undercoat, the only real fix is to strip the whole underside, paint and recoat.
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      I'm convinced you commuted through a salt mine.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk3_Addicted View Post
      Bariman82 is the king of rust patching...He is the guy you want to talk to.
      My take on fixing a rotten mk3.

Vehicles
      95 Jetta 2.0, LG7N Golf Sport, 98 Cab
      10-05-2012 06:01 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Bariman82 View Post
      Pop out all of those rubber plugs in the rockers and hose down the insides with a cavity wax or oil. I use Eastwood Internal Frame Coating and Transtar Amber. Regarding the cracking undercoat, the only real fix is to strip the whole underside, paint and recoat.
      Those midwest cars are rust magnets apparently.

3. 10-05-2012 06:14 PM #28
      You should see how much salt we use. There's no reason to send the trucks out for a light dusting that doesn't even cover the road.

Vehicles
      mk3's
      10-05-2012 07:02 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by furryrabbit84 View Post
      This might be a GOOD use for plasti-dip. What you want to do is create as much of a barrier as possible between moisture and the exposed metal areas of the car. Fighting corrosion is about half my job as an aircraft maintainer. If you had a semi-sheltered place to park it over the winter you could just encase it in tarp but then you have to worry about mice ect. The military used stuff called cosmoline to pack anything for long term storage. I would bet you could still find it around (it's one of the most costic chemicals around) and tarps soaked in that would KILL ANYTHING THAT ATE IT. Your best bet is to hit any potential spots with a rust converting primer then paint, make sure your paint is good (no underbody chips/ exposed metal) and wash off all the salt 2-3 times a week. Spraying lube at it would help as long you kept a good layer going ALWAYS. In the long run all metal is just trying to return to it's baser eliments so you'll never WIN that fight. Good luck.

The plastic dip sounds good for the undercarriage.
      The the Eastwood Internal Frame Coating is definitely on the to do list now.
      Thanks for all the replies.
      Quote Originally Posted by mk2stutter View Post
      its a car forum not a my search dick is bigger than your search dick forum.

Vehicles
      95 Jetta 2.0, LG7N Golf Sport, 98 Cab
      10-05-2012 07:47 PM #30
      You should see how much salt we use. There's no reason to send the trucks out for a light dusting that doesn't even cover the road.
      They use that big chunky rock salt don't they? They tend to mix it with sand/gravel in VT which is real bad. You get behind a car and all you hear is little stones hitting your car, as it gets slathered in salt. It's great.

6. 10-06-2012 07:52 AM #31
      I guess I never really paid attention. Oh but I will be this year now that I have a new and freshly painted car that I'd like to keep that way for awhile.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12