Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Water at exhaust tip

1. 10-02-2012 01:38 AM #1
      '09 CCTA, water droplets at 60/min. Anything to worry about? Or is this gases changing to H2O? Doesn't start happening until engine reaches op temp.

TIA.

2. 10-03-2012 02:36 PM #2
      most cars do this. Don't worry. Unless you filled your gas tank with the water hose this morning.

Vehicles
      1987 Junkyard Golf, MKV Jetta, 2004 V8 Toureg, 2012 GLI
      10-03-2012 09:38 PM #3
      I second that, don't worry about it. That means your cat is doing it's job. Do you have an aftermarket set-up? Often a muffler will have a tiny drain whole so that water doesn't collect and cause rust. If your exhaust is angled right nothing goes out that drain whole and it all comes out your pipe.

4. 10-05-2012 04:06 PM #4
      When we say it is normal, it is a exhaust gas chemistry which makes that happen. My wife recently noticed a large water puddle under her Honda Pilot and asked what she was leaking. Slightly different than this, but just as scary if you don;t know...hers was dripping near the engine and all it was was the condensation coming off the A/C. But just know all is fine.

And because I hate Jiffy Lube I have to add this...
      When they messed up my oil pan and were trying to fix it (they stripped the crap out of it), the manager who was trying to make good on his job called me over all excited as it he found a treasure. He said "just so you know you are leaking coolant" "big leak". Upon inspection I was leaking nothing it was purely the condensation from A/C again. Coolant res has never been low, and never have I leaked anything resembling coolant from my car. Just shows that even those who "work" on cars daily have no freaking clue of these things

5. 10-06-2012 08:15 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Schrottplatzer View Post
      I second that, don't worry about it. That means your cat is doing it's job. Do you have an aftermarket set-up? Often a muffler will have a tiny drain whole so that water doesn't collect and cause rust. If your exhaust is angled right nothing goes out that drain whole and it all comes out your pipe.
      I knew I didn't have anything to worry about. And thank you for confirming that! Piece (Peace) of mind! It;s the stock set-up and it is dripping right out the tail pipe and no sooner. So I guess everything is in alignment and no fear! Thanks again!

To the guy that had the prob at Jiffylube...ya know...I used to think about getting the cheaper deal...and I also never bought extended warranties. I have learned my lesson. I will gladly pay VW the extra $36. an hour for piece (peace) of mind. Not to mention the 12 month 20K warranty on everythng; (that is out of warranty or not covered). It would be foolish NOT to buy extended warranty now. In relative terms...it's still cheaper than replacing a tranny. Btw...my dad just got a cheque from VW Canada Finance for 70% of his extended warranty...for not invading it.