Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 9 of 9

    Thread: Rear bumper removal

    1. 10-02-2012 08:42 AM #1
      I'm going to redo my rear bumper and fill in my lines and rear valance. I've never taken it off though. Anyone have any insight?

    2. Member Forty-six and 2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 21st, 2007
      Location
      Csprings
      Posts
      4,875
      Vehicles
      '01 TT 225Q '84 Porsche 944
      10-02-2012 10:50 AM #2
      Very simple. Remove the two screws and push "rivets" that hold the exhaust valance on at the bottom, take out the screws that hold the fender liners in. You could remove only the ones at on the backside if you want, then pull it forward out of the way. There are two hidden 10mm bolts connecting the bumper to the quarter panel at that seam. Next is pull the taillights out, then pop the two black pieces off at the top of the bumper, then there will be four screws, two under each one. I hope all of that makes sense.
      Drive lowpark lower



      .:46and2:.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      May 23rd, 2008
      Location
      Lewisville, TX
      Posts
      2,783
      Vehicles
      2001 LZ7W 225 coupe; 1995 MX-5 M-edition
      10-02-2012 10:51 AM #3
      Insight? Bentley manual, page 63-3.

      1. Remove rear wheels
      2. remove rear wheel housing liners
      3. unclip left and right trim strips
      4. remove screws 6 (top-center area of bumper where hatch meets bumper and under some plastic trim from what I can tell from the pic...trim in step 3.) and 8 (looks like bottom of bumper center area directly below 6) Looks like you need to remove the exhaust valence to get to these screws.
      5. loosen nuts (inside wheel arch near where bumper meets fender) Pic shows they are in the vicinity of the exterior edge of the rear lights. they have lights out in the pic but instructions do not say they need to be removed.
      6. loosen mounting screws for guide brackets (where ^^ nuts are) and press brackets downward to disengage from bumper cover
      7. remove bumper cover.

      8. buy your own damn bentley manual, you cheap bastard.

      cheers and post up pics when done.
      You don't own a TT, you support it: 2001 LZ7W coupe; REVO chip; Forge hoses and DV relo; MadMax DV; Modshack VTDA; BlueFlame Catback, OSIR corners, Forge bling, H&R, Bilsteins, DEFCON2, 986 seats, 18in OZ Vela II; OEM TTQS alcantara steering wheel, knob, ebrake; OEM: BBS RS IIs; roof rack; trunk rack; phone bracket; trunk mat; all weather floor mats; 4-piece Votex kit. My Mods and Primer Porn here: http://public.fotki.com/TTQ2K2/.

    4. 10-02-2012 11:01 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by TTC2k5 View Post
      Insight? Bentley manual, page 63-3.

      1. Remove rear wheels
      2. remove rear wheel housing liners
      3. unclip left and right trim strips
      4. remove screws 6 (top-center area of bumper where hatch meets bumper and under some plastic trim from what I can tell from the pic...trim in step 3.) and 8 (looks like bottom of bumper center area directly below 6) Looks like you need to remove the exhaust valence to get to these screws.
      5. loosen nuts (inside wheel arch near where bumper meets fender) Pic shows they are in the vicinity of the exterior edge of the rear lights. they have lights out in the pic but instructions do not say they need to be removed.
      6. loosen mounting screws for guide brackets (where ^^ nuts are) and press brackets downward to disengage from bumper cover
      7. remove bumper cover.

      8. buy your own damn bentley manual, you cheap bastard.

      cheers and post up pics when done.
      I'll buy a Bentley soon. Thanks

    5. Member
      Join Date
      May 7th, 2009
      Posts
      3,802
      Vehicles
      01 TT 225 (daily), 01 TT 225 (project) 02 TT 180Q (donor), 03 GTI 20AE (daily) 03 GTI (dead)
      10-02-2012 12:14 PM #5

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2011
      Location
      SF Bay Area
      Posts
      583
      Vehicles
      01 Audi TT Coupe FWD
      10-06-2012 02:56 AM #6
      Remove the 35lb counter weight while you're there. Especially if you have a subwoofer in the trunk anyway........
      REVO stg2+4bar | Magnaflow 2.5"CB+3"DP | Samco TIP/boost hoses | K&N | Forge SMIC/DV | 18" Sportec Mono 10 | 10/15mm spacers | Bilstein Sports w/B&G springs(-1.25") | H&R 25mm RSB | PFlex DB | ECS drill/slot rotors w/Akebonos+braided lines | Rear ballast delete | MShack eng trim | 034 PCV
      RIP - 83 Rabbit GTI, 84 4000Q, 87 Scirocco 16V, 90 Corrado G60

    7. 10-22-2012 07:26 PM #7
      Thanks for all the help. Took my car to my buddies shop after work. Pulled the bumper and let them know the plan. Fill the 2 vertical lines, and redo my shaved valance. This time I'm gonna blend in the entire valance get rid of all the body lines (except for the long horizontal line through the center). While I have it off, I AM gonna remove the counterweight. I'm also going to see if I can get under there and install my RSB. I think if I've got the bumper off, it should be a little easier.



      I kinda like the short back end without the rear bumper
      Last edited by warranty225cpe; 10-22-2012 at 07:29 PM.

    8. Member Forty-six and 2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 21st, 2007
      Location
      Csprings
      Posts
      4,875
      Vehicles
      '01 TT 225Q '84 Porsche 944
      10-22-2012 07:37 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by warranty225cpe View Post

      I kinda like the short back end without the rear bumper

      I thought I may have been the only one.

      That's a lot of shaving! It's going to look awesome. Can't wait to see it. When will it be finished?
      Drive lowpark lower



      .:46and2:.

    9. 10-22-2012 07:46 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Forty-six and 2 View Post
      I thought I may have been the only one.

      That's a lot of shaving! It's going to look awesome. Can't wait to see it. When will it be finished?
      Lol, "less is more". It should be done by Friday. But I'm not gonna worry about it. Doing sh|t to this car is done stressing me out. Plus, my boys are doing it for free for a couple referrals. I'll get some pics up on the instagreezy.



      Btw, for any of you that don't have Instagram yet are missing out on some cool pics shared by other people who love what we love. Get that sh|t!

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •