Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Megasquirt is ridiculously addictive!

Vehicles
      '96 Miata
      10-02-2012 11:27 AM #1
      So I built a DIYPNP Megasquirt ECU (INB4 hipstergram)

Flashed it with firmware

Installed it in my Miata

Which has this engine

Made this custom dashboard in Tunerstudio to monitor all my functions

And now I could spend literally all of my time driving around and tuning my car... Having 100% control over the mechanical symphony and its various sensors is crazy. Tuning a carbureted engine is my roots (and I'm not any good at it) but when you can build your own ECU and tune it so that your car starts and runs in any condition 100% better than it did when stock is crazy. I love putting it in 3rd gear and flooring it from 1000 RPM up to the rev limiter and watching the air-fuel ratios be perfect with no chugging, bucking, pinging or hiccups.

Just wanted to share. My thanks to all the great people out there that have developed this system so that people like me can have control over their cars. If you've never installed Megasquirt in a car, you've really got to try it. It's not as hard as you think thanks to the designers who have made it easy!
      Last edited by QWKDTSN; 10-02-2012 at 12:08 PM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      10-02-2012 11:30 AM #2
      So are you some kind of nerd or something?

Also, that's incredible that you can make your own circuit board.
      Last edited by emmettlodge; 10-02-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Vehicles
      It's broken.
      10-02-2012 11:36 AM #3

Welcome to the sickness. I've got MSIII on my DD, MSII on my father's and two more cars in my fleet or my immediate families fleet getting MS of some form or another. It's increasingly addictive when you learn all the things you can do with each individual system.

The following it has with Miata/Nissan/Early 90's BMW groups is awesome, but if you really want to see how fantastic MS is, find someone that's converted an old car with carbs or CIS and see how much it absolutely transforms the vehicle

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1973 Porsche 911T, 1993 VW Corrado VR6, 2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup
      10-02-2012 11:38 AM #4
      Very cool, OP.

Vehicles
      E46 330ci and Bikes.
      10-02-2012 11:41 AM #5
      That's pretty awesome. Are you Asian? Do not attempt if not Asian.
      No Signature. Only Krav Khalash.

Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      10-02-2012 11:41 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Also, that's incredible that you can make your own circuit board.
      ^^ This! I didn't knew you could do that. How difficult was it? The MSS bug has been itching me lately....
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      On a scale from flaming bag of dog poop to drunken sex with a hot stripper... your car is a case of herpes from a girl you picked up at wal mart.

Vehicles
      03 Cooper S, 13 Plug In Prius, 11 RAV4
      10-02-2012 11:42 AM #7
      ran MSNS in my old rabbit with GSXr throttle bodies... learned so much about what it takes to make a car run (electronically)
      ................................................www. CHECKCOLLISION .com

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      10-02-2012 11:43 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Old Windy View Post
      ^^ This! I didn't knew you could do that. How difficult was it? The MSS bug has been itching me lately....
      I was (until now) pretty certain that only Japanese scientists had the secret to circuit board technology.

Vehicles
      It's broken.
      10-02-2012 11:48 AM #9
      If you've got a free weekend, a decent soldering iron, and some patience, they're actually pretty simple to assemble, if a bit tedious.

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/build_manual.htm

Vehicles
      '96 Miata
      10-02-2012 11:53 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by ravera View Post
      If you've got a free weekend, a decent soldering iron, and some patience, they're actually pretty simple to assemble, if a bit tedious.

This! And actually the DIYPNP models made by DIY Autotune are very simple. That's what I built. I remember reading threads 10 years ago about Megasquirt. If you built your own Megasquirt computer back then you really WERE a huge nerd. You actually had to research where every wire needed to go for your particular application, do math, etc...

http://www.diyautotune.com/diypnp/

With mine, it came with all the parts I needed, every resistor individually bagged and tagged, and a detailed description of where every jumper wire on the circuit board needed to be soldered. I'm already a decent hand at soldering, which made it easy, if a bit tedious.

There are guys out there that build and sell these boards so you don't have to make them yourself. They can crank out a fully finished ECU in a couple of hours. It took me a full weekend. But I'd rather do EVERYTHING so that I understand what's going on. There's no magic to what goes on in that black box if you make it yourself

Oh, and I'm not asian.

Vehicles
      73 Superbeetle, 86 Golf (RIP), 88 Scirocco 16v, 93 Corrado SLC, 07 GTI, 04 Jeep GC 4.0L, Cannondale
      10-02-2012 11:53 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by QWKDTSN View Post
      Which has this engine

OP, this is awesome! I keep telling myself "one of these days i'm getting MS..."

I'm curious about this setup... I see a supercharger on right, that pipes the air over to the intake manifold on the left... but where is it pulling air from? is the intake hidden below? I'd like to see more pics of your setup
      Last edited by SCIROCCO SPEED; 10-02-2012 at 11:55 AM.
      Engineers do it better.

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 11:55 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I was (until now) pretty certain that only Japanese scientists had the secret to circuit board technology.
      Only when it involves giant robots (Mazinger Z)
      On a scale from flaming bag of dog poop to drunken sex with a hot stripper... your car is a case of herpes from a girl you picked up at wal mart.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      10-02-2012 11:57 AM #13
      Only when it involves giant robots (Mazinger Z)
      Your anime prowess is lost on me. I only watched Inspector Gadget until I was 6 or so, then I decided TV was stupid and haven't touched one since

Vehicles
      '96 Miata
      10-02-2012 11:57 AM #14
      See the foam brick at the lower right corner of the supercharger in that pic? That's the foam air cleaner. Not the best location because the header is also on that side (this supercharger application is known as a "hot side" supercharger) but in a Miata there isn't an easy way to get cold air. I'm planning on rerouting the intake up to the cowl to get some colder air (you can just see half of a hole in the firewall at the right hand side of the photo)

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 11:57 AM #15

Ok, now to actually get the free weekend and the patience. The other one is the easy one.

Vehicles
      '96 Miata
      10-02-2012 12:06 PM #16

(it cracks me up that the song used in this video is "Popcorn" which was the first electronically created song and is perpetually associated with nerdiness)

17. 10-02-2012 12:10 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      That's pretty awesome. Are you Asian? Do not attempt if not Asian.
      I came in not knowing what to expect based on thread title. I am leaving now not knowing what I just read....

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC, 2004 330i ZHP, 1999 Monster 750
      10-02-2012 01:10 PM #18
      What processor are you running? I just bought a MegaSquirt setup last night that has an MS1 processor on a V3 board.

10-02-2012 01:23 PM #19
      I would love to do something like this but it's impossible when you live in a city/state that requires OBD-II checks and frequently a drive on the dyno with tailpipe sniffers to pass vehicle inspection.

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC, 2004 330i ZHP, 1999 Monster 750
      10-02-2012 01:27 PM #20
      Yeah, I think it's best for vehicles that are OBD1 or older. The tailpipe sniffer check wouldn't be difficult with MS, but the OBD2 check would be a challenge. A good tune can be powerful and efficient/low emissions.

21. 10-02-2012 01:40 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      I would love to do something like this but it's impossible when you live in a city/state that requires OBD-II checks and frequently a drive on the dyno with tailpipe sniffers to pass vehicle inspection.
      I feel your pain. CA sucks.

Vehicles
      '96 Miata
      10-02-2012 01:54 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Yeah that sucks

At this point I could return the car to the stock ECU in order to pass the sniffer, it would involve putting the stock injectors back in and removing the supercharger belt. But it would be a bit of a pain. My car is a 96 so it is (was) OBD2.

Living in Puerto Rico does have its perks sometimes, no inspections

23. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW 328i
      10-02-2012 01:58 PM #23
      Wait, wait, wait! Did you just build a car ECU from scratch? Is that what's going on here?

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      10-02-2012 01:59 PM #24

I've a large home-made CNC machine. Will that do?

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      10-02-2012 02:04 PM #25
      Does Megasquirt support direct injection?
      Quote Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
      Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device in where exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

10-02-2012 02:06 PM #26
      But is it overclocked?
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

27. 10-02-2012 02:13 PM #27
      That's pretty awesome.

Why did I immediately go to the website and find a car which start a new project? lol

Vehicles
      2001.5 Audi s4 1994 corrado slc 1993 corrado slc 1990 corrado vrt 1991 corrado vr6 1990 corrado
      10-02-2012 02:15 PM #28
      I ran megasquirt for about 5 years and finally got sick of retunning every 4 months as the seasons changed. plus with all the elevation changes around Utah it just wasnt practical. It works very well for race aplications but as a daily driver, forget it! I just switched to obdII and called it a day!

Vehicles
      '96 Miata
      10-02-2012 02:23 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      Wait, wait, wait! Did you just build a car ECU from scratch? Is that what's going on here?
      Yes, but I made the thread mostly about how much fun it is to tune a car ECU yourself. The fact that I built it myself is secondary. It's not like I designed the circuit board myself, much smarter people did all that for me and included instructions about which parts go where.

Quote Originally Posted by surefooted View Post
      That's pretty awesome.

Why did I immediately go to the website and find a car which start a new project? lol
      Do iiiiiiiit There are so many cars that the DIY Autotune boxes support! And many of them are TCL darlings as well!

Quote Originally Posted by corradoswapT View Post
      I ran megasquirt for about 5 years and finally got sick of retunning every 4 months as the seasons changed. plus with all the elevation changes around Utah it just wasnt practical. It works very well for race aplications but as a daily driver, forget it! I just switched to obdII and called it a day!
      I understand, there are fixes for all the problems you listed (you can upgrade the MAP system to automatically correct for altitude) and a large part is correcting your MAT table so that temperature fluctuations are automatically taken care of. But I can understand how many people would not want to deal with this on a daily driver.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      10-02-2012 02:24 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      I've a large home-made CNC machine. Will that do?
      Wow. You should post a build thread sometime - sounds cool

Vehicles
      '96 Miata
      10-02-2012 02:30 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
      It should, the code is very versatile, it could probably be used to run anything from a weedwhacker to a turbocharged V12.

Vehicles
      2001.5 Audi s4 1994 corrado slc 1993 corrado slc 1990 corrado vrt 1991 corrado vr6 1990 corrado
      10-02-2012 02:30 PM #32
      It was ms1 with some upgraded bits. I do miss it sometimes tho. I had a nice 3 stage shift light set up, launch controll,flat shift and boost controll. all things obdII cant do without seperate electronics.

Vehicles
      '96 Miata
      10-02-2012 02:44 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by corradoswapT View Post
      It was ms1 with some upgraded bits. I do miss it sometimes tho. I had a nice 3 stage shift light set up, launch controll,flat shift and boost controll. all things obdII cant do without seperate electronics.
      That is awesome. I don't have a clutch switch set up to the ECU so I can't do any of that awesomeness right now.

I have never touched MS1 but things have come a long way since then. I am using firmware created by 'gslender' who is an Australian modder, he writes his own upgrades to the code and the number of features that are available now is pretty insane.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      10-02-2012 03:02 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
      MS3 is supposed to be able to do it; you need full sequential control to do direct injection.

Rumor has it that the next version will also be able to control CR diesels...
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW 328i
      10-02-2012 03:04 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by QWKDTSN View Post
      Yes, but I made the thread mostly about how much fun it is to tune a car ECU yourself. The fact that I built it myself is secondary. It's not like I designed the circuit board myself, much smarter people did all that for me and included instructions about which parts go where.
      Yes, but the important thing is that Barry, who swore that modern cars were all disposable because of electronic components going bad and having no replacement, has been proven wrong way ahead of schedule.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast