Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me about the 2nd Generation Grand Cherokee

Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec with Dan in the passenger seat
      10-03-2012 11:22 AM #26
      I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said.

Among several Jeep 4.0L's i've owned two ZJ's personally (currently have 1) and my parents had 2 of them when I was a kid as well. I favour the 4.0L from a reliability/simplicity point of view. It's not that the 8's are "bad" engines, I just like having a little more room under the hood to work with and I know the 4.0's really well and have tons of parts.

The WJ (2nd Gen) is essentially the same vehicle mechanically/electronically. I will be shopping these soon as a replacement for my GF's daily. If you stay on top of your fluids they aren't THAT bad, yes the transmissions have a reputation as being junk but that's mostly due to lack of maint.

Electrical is what it is, it's Chrysler 90's stuff. If you can deal with those few headaches and are slightly mechanically inclined they're tough and reliable vehicles that are pretty comfortable.

10-03-2012 12:44 PM #27
      No Xenons:

You still haven't elaborated as to why the 4.7 H.O. engine is to be avoided. I'm honestly curious what you are basing this on since I can't find much to support your stance. I appreciate any and all feed back, as long as you're willing to share what you're basing your opinion on.

From JeepForum.com (under the "Ultimate WJ Grand Cherokee Buyer's Guide" thread):

The 4.7L High Output was introduced in 2002 as standard equipment on Overland models, special order on Limited models. It was not available on Laredo models, but some of the 2004 Rocky Mountain and Freedom edition models had the 4.7HO as a special order option.

The V8 High Output adds a ton of upgraded hard parts to the standard v8, bumps the compression ratio up to 9.7:1, adds a forged crank, and makes an extra 30hp/30ft-lbs of torque. The nice thing is that it makes the extra torque EVERYWHERE in the power band, not just up high. You'll be able to feel a difference right off of idle.

In addition to the forged crank, the pistons, rods, bearings, heads, valves, intake manifold, fuel injectors, airbox, air plenum, intake tube, and spark plugs were also changed. The ECU was also modified and the engine is equipped with 2 knock sensors to allow peak performance with higher octane fuel.

As for maintenance, the HO is no worse than the standard v8 and only has a few unique maintenance items: spark plugs, air filter, oil. The rest of the different parts are not maintenance items and should never fail in normal usage.

Plus, with the V8 you get a more robust automatic:

The V8 got the much-stronger 45RFE (and later, 545RFE) transmission which is still used today in the 390hp Hemi Ram. These rarely ever fail. In addition, they added a Dana 44a rear end which is not perfect, but is much stronger than the Dana 35 in the I6 models.
      2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD
      2015 Kia Soul + Special Edition

Love one another

10-05-2012 11:42 AM #28
      Bump

Vehicles
      an SUV and an old truck
      10-05-2012 01:41 PM #29
      I've owned two WJs - a 2000 and then a 2002, both Limited/4.7L/4wd (Quadradrive) models. I bought the 2k model with something like 60k miles on it and sold it about a year later @ 75k to get back into a sporty car (an Infiniti G35 coupe 6MT). The Infiniti turned out to be a lemon and I found the much-lower-mile 2002 version (27k miles). I ended up keeping the 2nd one for about 3 1/2 years, during which I added about 55k to it.

I think my first one was pretty reliable - no major expenses other than keeping up with all the differential fluid changes required by the QD 4wd system - but of course I didn't keep it very long. It did have a PCM failure that was fortunately covered under the powertrain warranty, right before it expired. The 2nd one had a couple more issues over the years - the dreaded HVAC blend door failure was the biggie (about $1200 to fix at the dealer - plastic gear governing vented-air temp strips out and sends warm air to one side and cool to the other), and the power steering gear went south around the same time. There might've been a couple other minor things.

I still think very highly of those Jeeps - and in fact I find myself looking at them on CL a lot as a potential 3rd vehicle to tow my utility trailer at some point. My wife would kill me though - she has a very biased opinion of their maintenance and upkeep requirements, as well as perceived reliability. I think that's mainly b/c the "regular" services were fairly intensive (diffs @ 15k, trans flush @ 30k, etc.) and the repairs were pretty major as indicated above. I'd love to find a late Overland that hasn't been run ragged, but I'd go into it knowing that expensive repairs may be necessary sooner rather than later.

As a broad generalization, I would say that the drivetrain is pretty solid but the electronics are suspect, which is consistent with above. A lower-spec WJ with manual HVAC (either drivetrain) would probably be the best bet reliability-wise...

I loved the power of the V8, and I didn't even have the HO version. It was reasonably quick and sounded good, though it was definitely thirsty. I think I averaged around 14-15 mpg for the most part - I may have gotten closer to 18-19 on the highway but that was rare. The Z71 Suburban that replaced the 2nd WJ got about the same gas mileage, despite being 50% larger.

I took my first one offroad a few times and was always very pleased with how well the Quadradrive system performed. The 2nd one stayed on-road pretty much its whole life (I had gotten married and was a little more sensible in how I treated my DD).

If you're looking for facts on features, option packages, and things of that nature, be sure to check out wjjeeps.com as a good resource. I also frequently perused the forums @ JeepsUnlimited.com and JeepForum.com - I gather the latter has become the better of the two, but I'm not active enough on either one nowadays to know one way or the other.
      --------
      blake
      2013 dodge durango citadel V8/RWD
      1962 chevrolet c10 fleetside

Vehicles
      2005 Lexus GX470, 2015 GMC Sierra
      10-27-2012 01:45 PM #30
      Anymore info out there? Major problems?

Looking to get an SUV for the wife and 2004s seem like solid trucks for the money. Interior appears to wear much better than newer WKs.

10-27-2012 02:11 PM #31
      Very solid truck and very capable off road, I own a 02 GC Overland and I have no complaints other than 13mpg, but that might be due to my 8" lift and bigger tires.

I love mine!

7. 10-28-2012 02:09 AM #32
      I see them go for dirt cheap around here i wouldnt pay more than 5-6k for a clean one

Vehicles
      mk2 GTI, mk4 GTI
      10-28-2012 02:16 AM #33
      what years did the 4.0 have head gasket issues?
      Dubstatic
      REP860
      CornStatuS

Vehicles
      2005 Lexus GX470, 2015 GMC Sierra
      10-28-2012 12:06 PM #34
      From what I have gleaned on jeepforum.com, it looks like 1999-2002 had more issues than the last two years.

It seems the bigger issue with the 4.0 is the transmission paired with it.

Vehicles
      '14 ATS-v, '16 Camaro 2SS, '14 Moto Guzzi V7
      10-28-2012 12:32 PM #35

Don't get rear ended.

I had an '01? I loved it 4.0 Laredo.

11. 10-28-2012 02:57 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by DrewDub2.0 View Post
      From what I have gleaned on jeepforum.com, it looks like 1999-2002 had more issues than the last two years.

It seems the bigger issue with the 4.0 is the transmission paired with it.
      Bbuddy has a 2003 with abotu 51k miles not one problem on it, then again it hardly ever gets driven

Vehicles
      2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, 2001 Porsche Boxster, 2013 Volvo S60 T5, 2007 Touareg V10 TDI
      10-28-2012 11:56 PM #37
      I had an 03 Limited V8 QT and an 04 Limited H.O V8 QD.

Amazingly stout vehicles that were the shinning achievement of Chrysler at the time (if there ever was one). I remember when these came out the Mercedes ML was also making its debut and reviewers were shocked over the quality differences between the WJ and the W163, noting the WJ was leaps and bounds a higher quality, more solid vehicle despite the W163 being not only "a Mercedes" but from the same parent company as well.

The WJ is truly a solid truck though, and I haven't heard of many first hand experiences which are negative. I used to average 20MPG on the highway and thought that was just fine for a 300HP, full-time 4WD SUV. Power was satisfying, handling was respectable, ride was comfortable, and off road ability was truly remarkable. The QuadraDrive system in particular was astounding, which consists of two hydraulic LSDs front and rear, with a locking differential in the center.

My 04 Limited had the desirable (in my eyes) final year facelift, and a plethora of features that helped the truck feel continually modern (rainsensing wipers, adjustable pedals, auto everything, Infinity sound system, ect)

Highly recommended.

Vehicles
      2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2007 CX-9 AWD GT
      10-29-2012 11:24 AM #38
      I drive an 02 Laredo 4.0 as my DD. Has 179k on it and about 100k of those were behind an RV. Transmission was replaced around 130k and after I went wheeling there was a weird knocking noise, All I needed to do was grease the driveshaft yoke and all is fine. They're pretty reliable Solid F and R axles not much to worry about on the suspension and interior is very live-able everyday coming from an 08 GTI.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12