Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: What spacers?

Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco S, 1983 Scirocco 8v (RIP), 1968 Buick Skylark, Chevrolet Caprice Police Issue
      10-02-2012 12:27 PM #1
      I tried searching for what spacers I need to run with my setup, but I could only find threads on mk2s.. So here's my dilemma. I just bought raceland coilovers, and I had picked the height I wanted. As I was tightening the wheel I could here the tire squeaking from hitting the coilover.. I adjusted the camber to max positive on the stock cambers bolts and it still rubs

I had to raise the front back up, and this is how close I am.

Wheels are stock snowflakes, 6inch wide, 14 inch rim, et38.

Tires are 185/60/14

What spacers do you guys recommend? It looks like about 5mm should bring them to where I can lower it back down.

Thanks!

Sidenote, the shims will spin freely behind the wheel, it's just the coil itself that hits.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      10-02-2012 02:31 PM #2
      You got it. All you need is a 5mm vw hubcentric spacer.

Or tires that arnt as wide, a little tire stretch would be another option.

Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco S, 1983 Scirocco 8v (RIP), 1968 Buick Skylark, Chevrolet Caprice Police Issue
      10-02-2012 02:57 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Granitethewolf View Post
      You got it. All you need is a 5mm vw hubcentric spacer.

Or tires that arnt as wide, a little tire stretch would be another option.
      Awesome, 5mm it is. And yeah, later down the road when I get money tires are next. Trying to find 175/50/14, but I'd have better luck finding diamonds in my back yard

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 08:10 PM #4
      Alright so I went and picked up 2 5mm spacers and got them on. Tire still barely rubs, but I should be getting new tires tomorrow. With these spacers, am I going to have to get longer lugs?

Vehicles
      2each'78s,81S,TTQ,S2 8V, race Corvette
      10-03-2012 10:28 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by VWsciroccoWV View Post
      Alright so I went and picked up 2 5mm spacers and got them on. Tire still barely rubs, but I should be getting new tires tomorrow. With these spacers, am I going to have to get longer lugs?
      And down the rabbit hole we go!
      The feeling of immortality extends right up until the moment of impact.
      I cannot teach you how to be a Zen mechanic, grasshopper.
      The VW Scirocco, the worlds fastest ECONOMY car.

10-03-2012 10:38 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by sciroccohal View Post
      And down the rabbit hole we go!
      Last edited by Mtl-Marc; Today at 23:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.

7. 10-03-2012 10:50 AM #7
      Your desire to sit ultra low is your main problem. Your pictured wheels and tires should fit fine but sitting too low causes fit and handling problems. Coilovers may have different mounting points and can cause fitting problems too. With camber plates and 5mm spacers you would be better off. 185 60 14 is a stock tire size and should fit but the coilover is chancing your geometry. I have the same problem with a set of coilovers too with the car sitting on proper ride height with A arms level and -1.25 camber. For me 5mm spacers work great with the same wheels you have and same tire size. Reducing contact patch with thinner tires is not the safest thing to do for braking and cornering. I know you are going for a look but don't expect your car to drive as well as it could when reducing function for style.

As an experiment put both 5 mm spacers on one front wheel and see if you can get some neg camber back in. Pay attention to your wheel bolt length when adding spacers.

SEE HOW CAMBER PLATES HELP BY MOVING THE STRUT AWAY FROM THE TIRE

You can adjust your center contact point in relation to the pivot points of the Steering Axis using upper and lower camber adjustment. With camber adjusted at the top of the shock tower you can move the springs away from the tire and move the pivot closer to the center line of the wheel. If you use camber plates you could increase your wheel back spacing slightly if you had proper struts or coilovers with the flange holes located in the stock location. By adjusting the camber at the struts you can move the intersection lines to improve the scrub radius. You can make fine camber adjustment to change the wheel angle (that changes the tire contact to the road) at the knuckle strut bolts.

Last edited by Doug T; 10-05-2012 at 02:45 AM.
      TEAM DHE/FAST 76 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO 2X 08, 09, 10, 12 & 13 regional champ.
      TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO 04 & 07 regional champ.
      1987 KARMANN 16V MK2 SILVER SCIROCCO
      Parts--> http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 03:26 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug T View Post
      Your desire to sit ultra low is your main problem. Your pictured wheels and tires should fit fine but sitting too low causes fit and handling problems. Coilovers may have different mounting points and can cause fitting problems too. With camper plates and 5mm spacers you would be better off. 185 60 14 is a stock tire size and should fit but the coil over is chancing your geometry. I have the same problem with a set of coilovers too sitting on proper ride height with A arms level and -1.25 camber. For me 5mm spacers work great with the same wheels you have and same tire size. Reducing contact patch with thinner tires is not the safest thing to do for braking and cornering. I know you are going for a look but don't expect your car to drive as well as it could when reducing function for style.

As an experiment put both 5 mm spacers on one front wheel and see if you can get some neg camber back in. Pay attention to your wheel bolt length when adding spacers.

SEE HOW CAMBER PLATES HELP BY MOVING THE STRUT AWAY FROM THE TIRE

You can adjust your center contact point in relation to the pivot points of the Steering Axis using upper and lower camber adjustment. With camber adjusted at the top of the shock tower you can move the springs away from the tire and move the pivot closer to the center line of the wheel. If you use camber plates you could increase your wheel back spacing slightly if you had proper struts or coilovers with the flange holes located in the stock location. By adjusting the camber at the struts you can move the intersection lines to improve the scrub radius. You can make fine camber adjustment to change the wheel angle (that changes the tire contact to the road) at the knuckle strut bolts.

Doug T, I love you

And thanks, I'll have to pick of some camber plates to see if I can get more strut clearance.. Also, I'll try putting both spacers on one side. And I've never really gone for performance, just looks. As a 17 year old, my entire friend group is more form over function, someday I'll grow out of that Until I can get all the required parts (new tie rod, old one is seized. Proper, hubcentric spacers, camber plates) I think I'm going to just raise it all the way back up and address more important problems.

Thanks!