Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Is This Cause for Concern: Weird Electrical Moment

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta 2.5 Comfortline Auto
      10-02-2012 01:41 PM #1
      I have a 2012 Jetta 2.5 for 4 weeks, and just passed the 1,000 KM mark (not miles). I turned off my car and the radio turned off like usual. I then turned the radio back on with the key still in the ignition and was reading an email when all of a sudden I heard an electrical clicking for around 10 seconds (sounded like it was coming from beside the turn signal stick) and all the lights on the dashboard turned on and then powered out for a quick second including the radio and then back on and then back to normal with just the radio on. I think 2 "check" lights stayed on but I can't remember. One might have been the check engine indicator. I turned the car on and it was fine.

I know VW's have electrical problems. Was this some sort of fluke or should i be concerned as I never experienced such a thing with any of my Toyota's.
      I feel the neeeeeeeeed for speeeeeed!!!!

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta, 2008 Jetta RIP
      10-02-2012 01:48 PM #2
      You need to get it scanned for sure. That is not a normal quirk for these cars.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-02-2012 03:12 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by itskohler View Post
      You need to get it scanned for sure. That is not a normal quirk for these cars.
      Thanks itskohler. I booked an appointment for this Thursday. I'll post what the issue was. Hope it is nothing serious. I have never had problems with a new car and would prefer my first VW not be my last.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-04-2012 10:03 PM #4
      So I took the car to the dealer and the scan showed nothing at all. They did the scan for 40 minutes.

The problem has not happened again so far. Anyone have any ideas or guesses as to what may have happened? The only long shot I have is that a metal pen was sitting on the axillary slot and perhaps caused a surge but that seems far fetched.

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta SEL, 2012 4DR Golf TDi
      10-04-2012 10:17 PM #5
      Not surprising. One time I was driving, saw a flash on the dash under my direct field of vision.. the speedometer dropped to zero then rocketed back to 60. Then as I was in bewilderment, I heard a long tone, and the speedometer did the same thing again. Took it to the dealer and they see nothing wrong.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-04-2012 10:32 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by azthegame View Post
      Not surprising. One time I was driving, saw a flash on the dash under my direct field of vision.. the speedometer dropped to zero then rocketed back to 60. Then as I was in bewilderment, I heard a long tone, and the speedometer did the same thing again. Took it to the dealer and they see nothing wrong.
      That's fabulous. What's your mileage?

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 01:06 AM #7
      Typical VWoA

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 05:27 AM #8
      Around 15k. That happened around 3k though.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-05-2012 09:33 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by azthegame View Post
      Around 15k. That happened around 3k though.
      Was it just the one time? Hopefully it was just the computer misreading something or being excited to be in a new car

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      10-05-2012 10:37 AM #10
      Typical VWoA is right

If you experience any strange things like this make sure you have a camera or something because without hard proof your concern will be ignored like it never happened.

Besides the numerous problems I've had with my automatic 2011 S, the one that bothers me the most is the engine/transmission whine I've had since around 8k mikes. It comes and goes and is slightly unpredictable. I have noticed it more so when the car is under load (going up a slight hill/incline) in third before car decides to shift to fourth. The car hesitates greatly at around 3800 rpm and there is a whine which sounds similar to the kind you would hear in a manual transmission. I have had this problem in second to third as well and the jerkiness in first/second is bad at times (feels like car is going to stall).

They have, "not been able to reproduce", this concern ever! I fear it will turn into the typical automatic transmission problems that seemingly all 2.0s I have come in contact with (my gf's MK3 GL had 120k when problem became bad, and her current MK4 GLS problem started at 80k) have had.

Her current MK4 now jerks when you put it in D but this can often be avoided by putting it into N letting foot off brake and then back on and into D. I dont understand how this works but it does.

My car has jerked once before like this when pulling out of my driveway upon shifting from R to D the car jerked very hard. I called the dealer immediately and they said it was "normal".

I'm hoping this will end up being nothing or if it does turn into something, that I have enough history of the issue that they will cover it. Anyone else with similar problems?? Any idea of the issue?

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-05-2012 02:06 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      Typical VWoA is right

If you experience any strange things like this make sure you have a camera or something because without hard proof your concern will be ignored like it never happened.

Besides the numerous problems I've had with my automatic 2011 S, the one that bothers me the most is the engine/transmission whine I've had since around 8k mikes. It comes and goes and is slightly unpredictable. I have noticed it more so when the car is under load (going up a slight hill/incline) in third before car decides to shift to fourth. The car hesitates greatly at around 3800 rpm and there is a whine which sounds similar to the kind you would hear in a manual transmission. I have had this problem in second to third as well and the jerkiness in first/second is bad at times (feels like car is going to stall).

They have, "not been able to reproduce", this concern ever! I fear it will turn into the typical automatic transmission problems that seemingly all 2.0s I have come in contact with (my gf's MK3 GL had 120k when problem became bad, and her current MK4 GLS problem started at 80k) have had.

Her current MK4 now jerks when you put it in D but this can often be avoided by putting it into N letting foot off brake and then back on and into D. I dont understand how this works but it does.

My car has jerked once before like this when pulling out of my driveway upon shifting from R to D the car jerked very hard. I called the dealer immediately and they said it was "normal".

I'm hoping this will end up being nothing or if it does turn into something, that I have enough history of the issue that they will cover it. Anyone else with similar problems?? Any idea of the issue?
      Sorry to hear about your problems which certainly seems very serious. The camera suggestion is a great idea...just need to be really fast if it happens again.

I have the 2.5L engine so can't help you out with the 2.0...hopefully this is not a problem for the 2.5L as well.

p.S.- What does VWoA stand for? VW answer?

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 02:41 PM #12
      Volkswagen of America

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-05-2012 09:23 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by itskohler View Post
      Volkswagen of America
      Ah, Ok thanks. I am actually in Canada so I guess VWoC is the same in regards to not finding problems. Do you think they know what the issues are and purposely pretend they don't know so they don't have to pay?

Vehicles
      10-06-2012 09:34 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by proweb View Post
      Was it just the one time? Hopefully it was just the computer misreading something or being excited to be in a new car
      It happened just that one day, but then again... my computer bricked when they installed a replacement ac head unit. So a faulty computer may have been the cause and the replacement killed that bird.

My fuel gauge would also regularly read 7/8ths full immediately after filling up. Yet another glitch. I even recorded a fill-up with my phone showing empty, the fillup, and returning to the car and turning it on and seeing 7/8ths... but even then, the dealer "could not replicate"
      Last edited by azthegame; 10-06-2012 at 09:36 AM.