Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: I want OEM nav... what do I need to do???

1. 10-02-2012 01:41 PM #1
      So, I have a TDI SE, no nav.... I currently use a Garmin, but would like to upgrade to a RNS 510... what exactly do I need, and has anyone done this on a B7?

2. 10-02-2012 02:26 PM #2
      I'd probably start with a VAG-COM and a NAV unit.

The rest is pure work.
      2012 Passat
      2003 VW 1.8T GTi: 3" DP, 2.5" CB, N75J, OEM AirBox, Drop-in High Flow, EIP Dogbone, Forge TIP, Vented Fender liner, Forge 008, Metal H2O Impeller.
      Quote Originally Posted by Strikelin View Post
      ...You get about the same performance gains from a good dump before driving due to the weight loss then you do from a CAI...

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat
      10-02-2012 09:06 PM #3
      I'm currently trying to do the same thing, and honestly, I really doubt its that difficult, the Jetta guys, and Golf/GTI peeps do this all the time. The key here is to get a RNS-510 of the G series, as that is the newest North American Unit, and if you are getting anything older you will not get the newest features as the software/firmware, can only be upgraded on the A/B/C units to sw ver. 1040 (it might be 1140 can't remember exactly), and G series has software/firmware ver 3696, as well as a new GUI, 40GB hdd, LED Display, and support for 2TB SDXD cards. The only issue here is that to find one for under $1600 is almost impossible right now...

4. 10-03-2012 08:52 AM #4
      From my perspective, this is NOT an upgrade. I bought the TDI SEL largely BECAUSE of the NAV and media handling. But, my $90 TomTom (got free with purchase of tires) and my $300 Garmin (b'day present) are FAR SUPERIOR to the nav system in the 510. They are more intuitive, MUCH FASTER, and MUCH MUCH MORE ACCURATE than the 510 system.

I have a $30 Sansa clip mp3 player that handles music files far easier. If I had it all to do over again, I would definitely NOT get the SEL for the 510 system. My advise is you might want to find another aftermarket that will fit.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      10-03-2012 09:05 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by RaidV92C View Post
      From my perspective, this is NOT an upgrade. I bought the TDI SEL largely BECAUSE of the NAV and media handling. But, my $90 TomTom (got free with purchase of tires) and my $300 Garmin (b'day present) are FAR SUPERIOR to the nav system in the 510. They are more intuitive, MUCH FASTER, and MUCH MUCH MORE ACCURATE than the 510 system.

I have a $30 Sansa clip mp3 player that handles music files far easier. If I had it all to do over again, I would definitely NOT get the SEL for the 510 system. My advise is you might want to find another aftermarket that will fit.
      Dont go aftermarket, I have heard the same mixed reviews on the rns510. However the comparison of the 315 to the 510 are worlds apart. The 315 does not allow pinch zoom or any of the other features the 510 has which you would think were standard on both since they are touch screen units. I personally have the base non touch radio and use my phone with google maps that I play through the radio while I listen to pandora. I find it to be extremely accurate although sometimes it does take a bit longer than it should to pick up a gps signal. But after it does, it rocks. Best of all, it's free! Plus since upgrading to Android 4.0 the voices Maps uses are better to understand than before and less robot. Too bad for the iphone 5 people with their "sub par map program".

6. 10-03-2012 09:39 AM #6
      I too want to do the same upgrade.....but I want it not necessrily for the GPS portion, I want it for the video-in-motion hack.....I want my sone to be able to watch movies.

I have video in my other cars, and he/we are used to having it.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE, 2005 Audi A6
      10-03-2012 10:17 AM #7
      Here is a video. It is easy.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT7X-4L-UU8