Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you own your "hero"?

Vehicles
      It's broken.
      10-02-2012 04:55 PM #36
      All my "hero" cars are **** boxes from the 50's-early90's, so it's more of an issue of how much space I have to huck my pile of heaps out in the yard.

Vehicles
      997TT, F80 M3
      10-02-2012 05:02 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      My past 2 major car purchases (C6 back in 2007 and Gallardo a earlier this year) were both on my "heros" list. The C6 actually did a much better job of making the dream match up with the reality. It was just a huge difference for me to go from driving boring sedans my entire life (drove my mom's Camry throughout high school/college and had a 1999 GS400 briefly after graduation) to finally getting to drive such a capable sportscar every day (and the C6 was a true DD, it was my only car for 5 years). The difference between the Gallardo and C6 wasn't nearly as great and there was absolutely no way the Gallardo could match the excitement I felt when I first got my C6
      It's pretty amazing, isn't it? It's actually kind of disappointing once you realize that those crazy italian super cars really don't drive any differently than the extremely capable, vastly more economical sports cars most people drive around. They look better, and sometimes sound better, but once you get over the initial shock value, there's not really much more substance to them over any good, "regular" sports car. I'm not opposed to a turbocharged bull myself, and might end up with one, but that would probably be the only reason I'd go for such a car. There's a lot of regular cars that with a few power and visual mods (like a GTR) would interest me more than a stock Italian.
      '07 997.1 TT 6MT: Arctic Silver / Sea Blue. AWE exhaust, GIAC flash, H&R, BBS CH-R in widebody fitment.
      '15 F80 M3 6MT: Alpine White / Full Sakhir orange
      Past: 300 hp B5 A4, 500 hp Evo 8, 2 450 hp E92 335s, 520hp C6 Z06, and a 750 hp CBA GT-R

Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      10-02-2012 05:02 PM #38
      I dont think ill ever own an f40
      Maybe ill one day have a red Quattro
      Z is pronounced ZED

10-02-2012 05:07 PM #39
      My Hero car is a 550 Maranello and I'm currently busting my ass to make sure I own one before I turn 40...I have 119 days to go, but who's counting
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI2Slow View Post
      If there is enough room to shoehorn a car seat in the back by the roll cage I think this might be the car to buy.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata LS, 2006 Corvette-Sold, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (RIP)
      10-02-2012 05:16 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      It's pretty amazing, isn't it? It's actually kind of disappointing once you realize that those crazy italian super cars really don't drive any differently than the extremely capable, vastly more economical sports cars most people drive around. They look better, and sometimes sound better, but once you get over the initial shock value, there's not really much more substance to them over any good, "regular" sports car. I'm not opposed to a turbocharged bull myself, and might end up with one, but that would probably be the only reason I'd go for such a car. There's a lot of regular cars that with a few power and visual mods (like a GTR) would interest me more than a stock Italian.
      Yeah, there comes a point where you experience serious diminishing returns. The Gallardo is slightly faster than my C6, but it feels heavier (probably due to the fact that it's a convertible as well as the AWD) in corners. It still drives beautifully (and the ride is MUCH, MUCH better, it seriously rides better than a lot of "luxury" cars I've driven) and sounds incredible, but it's not nearly 5x the car the C6 was, even though it was nearly 5x the price (when both were new). You can't really beat the styling though

I drove a Rolls Royce Ghost a couple weeks ago (one of the benefits of owning a Lambo, they thought I was important enough at the Rolls dealer to email me and offer a test drive of the Ghost) and I had the same impression. It didn't drive that much better than any other large luxury sedan, and the interior wasn't THAT much nicer than something like an S Class (or the 7-Series it's based on) but it costs as much as 3 S Classes. I'm FAR from a dashstroker, but seeing pieces made of plastic in the Rolls was shocking to me, for that price the interior should be made out of solid gold
      "When you need to get somewhere quickly, I'd rather get there the fastest I can, looking the best I can"-Rutledge Wood

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1973 Porsche 911T, 1993 VW Corrado VR6, 2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup
      10-02-2012 05:23 PM #41
      Yes, Corrado SLC. I am glad to have owned it and enjoy driving it. Now keeping it running on the other hand... LAWD HELP ME!

Vehicles
      '12 TCLs Favorite Rental SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA
      10-02-2012 05:38 PM #42
      Yes and no. I dont really have any 'dream' cars, just ones I really, really like.

- I bought an '05 Audi allroad. Loved it since I first set my eyes on it. Finally got my hands on it and daily drove it and it was a wallet raiding nightmare. When it worked, it was oh so nice. The rest of the time, it wasnt. I sold it and still miss it when I see others on the road.
      - Had a built up Land Rover Discovery for a bit. Fun truck but 8 mpg and constantly acting up electrics. Sold it and miss it dearly.
      - Replaced the Disco with a diesel 60 series. Holy grail, right? Great truck yes but no where near as fun, or capable, as the Disco. Sold it when I moved to England. If I hadnt moved, I wouldve sold it anyway.
      - 1972 MGB GT. That I want back and want it back BIG time. I would take that one back before I take my 1958 MGA.
      - I will eventually buy another GT and find a pre 1988 Range Rover.

Vehicles
      '03 TDI wagon, '04 Frontier SC
      10-02-2012 05:42 PM #43
      from 19-22 i definitely drove some hero cars. i daily drove a fully modded STI from 19-21, while have a basically new gsx-r600 at the same time. then when i left the army i had a mint S4 for a while. that was pretty sweet. also the period of my life where i not only could afford to screw around with cars, i cared to. i don't care nor can i afford to now as a full-time student. haha.

fun times were had. i still have a very nice car for my age and in school, so no complaints.
      past affairs - '12 jetta, '05 s4 6mt, '03 20th gti (x2), '04 tt 3.2l dsg, '07 wrx, '05 sti, '07 & '08 gsx-r600s

10-02-2012 05:43 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      and find a pre 1988 Range Rover.
      There's a dark green 1st gen Range Rover that's been sitting outside a car wash near me for years. I would ask about it but I'm not sure I really want it. I have a pic of it somewhere.

10-02-2012 05:44 PM #45
      It didn't drive that much better than any other large luxury sedan, and the interior wasn't THAT much nicer than something like an S Class (or the 7-Series it's based on) but it costs as much as 3 S Classes.
      I don't know, I drove a 57 Maybach at Amelia on a closed ocean-side road. It made my 12-cylinder seem like a cream puff. That car was brutally fast. The brakes were equally competent. I walked away like this. OK, that's not a normal luxury sedan.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      1996 VW GTI, 2005 Forester XT
      10-02-2012 05:45 PM #46
      Twice.

2000, got a MKIII 2.0 ABA VW (upgrading from parents hand me down '86 Olds wagon... my main goal was 70mph uphill)

2011, got a Forester XT limited 5spd. Needs some work to make it entertaining to drive, but for its purpose its great (70mph, in the snow, never need chains for snowboarding runs)
      Shutup and drive yo cah'!

10-02-2012 05:47 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      I don't know, I drove a 57 Maybach at Amelia on a closed ocean-side road. It made my 12-cylinder seem like a cream puff. That car was brutally fast. The brakes were equally competent. I walked away like this. OK, that's not a normal luxury sedan.
      Yes...but you're comparing it to your 24 year old BMW, not really fair
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI2Slow View Post
      If there is enough room to shoehorn a car seat in the back by the roll cage I think this might be the car to buy.

10-02-2012 05:48 PM #48
      Not quite there yet.. the Mustang is fun, but i'm not done with it yet to make it my hero car.

Hero cars that are attainable:
      - 78 Triumph TR-6
      - 73 Porsche 911
      Something something darkside..

Vehicles
      2006 Volvo V50, 1993 RX-7 R1, 1980 Hatteras 53MY, 2002 Grady White Release 283, 1958 Mohawk 14
      10-02-2012 05:48 PM #49
      I used to own my hero...fvckin' exwife...

I do own my now sort-of hero:

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      10-02-2012 06:01 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      It's pretty amazing, isn't it? It's actually kind of disappointing once you realize that those crazy italian super cars really don't drive any differently than the extremely capable, vastly more economical sports cars most people drive around.
      Yeah, there comes a point where you experience serious diminishing returns.
      A question for both of you. When you say that these cars don't drive a ton better than more affordable sports cars, is this is reference to the experience on the street or a road course? I would think that the affordable performance cars that you're talking about wouldn't drive much different on the street than the more expensive cars. But, at least from my years of magazine reading experience (), it would seem that the pricier cars are a much better drive on a road course. I'm more asking in terms of feel, responsiveness, and confidence, not lap times.

And I'm not talking about a modded GTR vs a stock 458 or similar. I'm talking stock vs stock. I'd have a hard time taking a GTR over say a 997 GT2, even if the GTR was faster and easier to drive.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata LS, 2006 Corvette-Sold, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (RIP)
      10-02-2012 06:48 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      A question for both of you. When you say that these cars don't drive a ton better than more affordable sports cars, is this is reference to the experience on the street or a road course? I would think that the affordable performance cars that you're talking about wouldn't drive much different on the street than the more expensive cars. But, at least from my years of magazine reading experience (), it would seem that the pricier cars are a much better drive on a road course. I'm more asking in terms of feel, responsiveness, and confidence, not lap times.

And I'm not talking about a modded GTR vs a stock 458 or similar. I'm talking stock vs stock. I'd have a hard time taking a GTR over say a 997 GT2, even if the GTR was faster and easier to drive.
      I have limited track experience. I've driven a 430 Scuderia, GTR and a 991 Carrera S on a track, but none of those were for extended periods of time. The 430 Scuderia was by far the most responsive, most confidence-inspiring, best-handling car I've ever driven, period. That car blew me away. The GTR seemed relatively boring to me, as did the 991. Never got a chance to take my C6 to the track and I haven't gotten on a track with the Gallardo yet either (also wouldn't have bought the Spyder if track work was a priority).
      "When you need to get somewhere quickly, I'd rather get there the fastest I can, looking the best I can"-Rutledge Wood

Vehicles
      2002 Honda S2000
      10-02-2012 06:57 PM #52
      The 2004-2005 STi has been one of my hero cars since Jr. High. When I was finally able to own one, I was ecstatic. It was pretty much everything that I thought it would be.

Hopefully I'll get to own a C10 Nissan Skyline or an E30 M3 one of these days.

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      10-02-2012 06:58 PM #53
      Some sort of air-cooled 911 is my hero.

I'd love to see it in the next 10 years. Even next 5 years maybe if prices start to drop enough on SCs and 3.2s that a well maintained one reaches the prices that turds reach now.
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

Vehicles
      '12 TCLs Favorite Rental SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA
      10-02-2012 07:02 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by 1985Jetta View Post
      There's a dark green 1st gen Range Rover that's been sitting outside a car wash near me for years. I would ask about it but I'm not sure I really want it. I have a pic of it somewhere.
      Do you live in the States? If you do, odds are its going to be an '88 or later truck. '88 was the first year of importation into the States and it was a trickle at that. I want a pre 88 truck because they are the carbed 3.5 V8, LT77 5 speed and a more spartan interior. Theres a guy in California who brought in a white 4 door '86 RR with the LT95 4 speed and a 3.5. I tried as hard as I could to get that truck but he changed his mind on being willing to sell. Really bummed me out.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      14 Toyota 4Runner, 04 BMW 330ci
      10-02-2012 07:03 PM #55
      I guess the closest I came to this was my 2 Corvettes and they definitely lived up to my expectations.

At this point in my life I would love to be in a position to own any of the sports cars I had on the list but never got around to owning. Just isn't practical living where i do and not having a garage. So I guess I could count the Elise, NSX and C6ZO6 as the heroes I never got around to owning?

Vehicles
      1999 Nissan Quest GLE, 2009 Nissan GT-R
      10-02-2012 07:11 PM #56
      Not yet.

Still working on it.

Free 1SICKLEX

Vehicles
      67 GT500,08 Accord EX-L, 54 Chevy 210, 06 Odyssey EX-L
      10-02-2012 07:13 PM #57
      goes out the garage..........yup

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      10-02-2012 08:23 PM #58
      Would you buy one if say it was comparable in price/cost of ownership to a new Audi/BMW/Merc?

Quote Originally Posted by quadcammer32 View Post
      goes out the garage..........yup

You sir, win this thread.
      Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI
      Quote Originally Posted by HideYoKids View Post
      Dann is More sassy than any man with facial hair should be. It's entertaining.

10-02-2012 08:51 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00 View Post
      Would you buy one if say it was comparable in price/cost of ownership to a new Audi/BMW/Merc?

You sir, win this thread.
      Yes, he does.

I would never again spend the stupid money I paid for the 750iL, let alone what a Maybach cost. I was 36 in '88 and driving a powerful, pretty exclusive, luxomobile was pretty important to me. I'm way past that. What I've saved in not flipping daily drivers has allowed me to have my other toys.

The car marked a very high point in my financial life, but also a high point for stress. I'm glad I got it, but I'm also glad I pared back those kind of expenses.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      10-02-2012 09:02 PM #60
      no, probably never.

but maybe one day, I'll be able to afford to buy and maintain one of these

Vehicles
      '13 Outback 2.5i Limited SAP, '13 Ford F-150, Screw, FX4, EcoBoost
      10-02-2012 09:05 PM #61
      Finally got my WRX, base model and all it is my hero car.

Vehicles
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      10-02-2012 09:08 PM #62
      Yes, he does.

I would never again spend the stupid money I paid for the 750iL, let alone what a Maybach cost. I was 36 in '88 and driving a powerful, pretty exclusive, luxomobile was pretty important to me. I'm way past that. What I've saved in not flipping daily drivers has allowed me to have my other toys.

The car marked a very high point in my financial life, but also a high point for stress. I'm glad I got it, but I'm also glad I pared back those kind of expenses.

theres a reason they stop so well

Not sure if you have driven the w221 AMG versions, but if you have, how would they compare to the maybach? I know they are different vehicles, but many similarities

10-02-2012 09:15 PM #63
      No, I usually only get to test sit the exotics at shows.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      2007 Ford Fusion SUX, school bus turning radius edition
      10-02-2012 09:17 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by VW1.8Tsunami View Post
      I've owned all my 'hero' cars and they were either trucks or jeeps. I'm pretty jaded now so I'll probably stick to the POS that look like hell but still run category. My enthusiasm for new cars is almost completely gone.
      Unfortunately I haven't been able to own any 'hero' cars. My enthusiasm is too almost gone. However I'm getting near the age of 40, have a wife and 2 kids so when can I cash in my middle age crisis card?

edit now that I thought about it a bit, cars I heart. S15 Silvia, fell in love with them ever since I saw a brand new one in Australia in 2000. Datsun 510's, 240Z, STI, ur-quattro, R32, R33, R34GTR's, when I was younger I had lusted for 16V Scirocco's (had 2 8V though).
      Last edited by VWVan; 10-02-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Vehicles
      06 350z
      10-02-2012 09:22 PM #65
      I guess a hero car is a car you really look up too and would love to drive, let alone own?

No, I don't think I will ever be able to afford a Underground Racing Lamborghini.

Vehicles
      1966 Austin Mini
      10-02-2012 09:57 PM #66

Since 2001
      We're talking paper forks now
      We're talking bacon cuts now
      We're talking turkey talking, turkey walking

Vehicles
      75 914, 84 gti, volvo v50 t5, 911 964 c2, BMW 850 csi, Land Rover Defender 110, Range Rover Classic.
      10-02-2012 10:12 PM #67
      My 914 was my hero car. i've owned it for 5 years and have only driven it for 1 year. i was disappointed in the power so i pulled the motor and saw it was running on three cylinders. I have just finished the project and built the motor up a little. The handling is awesome but now that i have the 911 the power is disappointing even with me bilding the motor up. So i think ill need to sell it.
      Last edited by flytech78; 10-02-2012 at 11:35 PM.
      1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55
      Good bye and thanx for all the fish!

33. 10-02-2012 10:49 PM #68
      Yes i do, after soo long of waiting and wanting.

Vehicles
      67 GT500,08 Accord EX-L, 54 Chevy 210, 06 Odyssey EX-L
      10-02-2012 10:53 PM #69
      Yes, he does.
      haha thanks barry

35. 10-02-2012 11:28 PM #70
      Used to drive this (not my pic):

I really wanted an E30 325is when I got it, but couldn't find it and "settled" for an E36, which I wasn't really a fan of at the time. As I owned it, it grew on me a lot, and ever since I've sold it, I've realized that that car does everything I want. Agressive but classic looks, fairly luxurious and comfortable, practical, and incredible to drive. I just wish I could comfortable afford it (I was making a lot of money in high school which allowed me to afford the purchase, but then in college my income mostly stopped, so I didn't feel I could comfortably afford to maintain it). I need another one when I graduate .
      Last edited by fishNchips; 10-02-2012 at 11:31 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by UNBANNED_GERBIL View Post
      Phew!!! Thank goodness it's a VW troll thread. If it were a Hyundai troll thread the bukkake faced fanboys would be frothing at the mouth

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast