Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

Thread: Porsche 918 Spyder: a Ride In Porsche's Hybrid Hypercar - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Past : E46 m3 Now : 15 Sti
      10-02-2012 03:45 PM #1

Have fun =]

Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else, '73 Carrera RS, and Carrera 4
      10-02-2012 05:34 PM #2
      Really neat car.

I would still prefer 2700 lbs and 550 hp though. 3800 lbs is crazy, regardless of hp.

10-02-2012 06:07 PM #3
      If that is the future of sports cars, as they imply the tech will trickle down to all models, then I think enthusiasts have nothing to worry about.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      05 MCS, 03 XJ X308, 81 MB W123, 05 Tourneo Connect
      10-02-2012 06:35 PM #4
      A friend of mine saw this on a freeway in AZ

Vehicles
      The Holy Grail, something else, '73 Carrera RS, and Carrera 4
      10-02-2012 06:43 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by manol2 View Post
      A friend of mine saw this on a freeway in AZ

Hot weather testing. Amazing.

I do think that this car looks waaaaaay better than the Carrera GT or the 959. I hope that it's not too long before we see a production model with this styling.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      10-02-2012 10:04 PM #6
      http://www.insideline.com/porsche/20...ide-along.html

Curb weight, mfr. claim (lbs.) 3,747
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      10-02-2012 10:31 PM #7
      As cool as the 918 is, it's disgusting that a no compromise hypercar like this weighs ~3,800 pounds.

Still the king of modern Porsches for me:

8. Banned
      10-02-2012 10:49 PM #8
      Fast becoming a dream car.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      10-02-2012 11:17 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      As cool as the 918 is, it's disgusting that a no compromise hypercar like this weighs ~3,800 pounds.
      Disgusting? Come on, really? They managed to get that 3,800lb car to 62mph in under 3 seconds, well past 200mph at the top end, around the Nurburgring at the same pace as a Porsche GT2 RS, and faster than any Ferrari, Corvette, Pagani, Koenigssegg and Nissan you can name, and still return 80mpg in regular usage and 20mpg when you're caning it...... and be able to avoid London congestion charges because it emits less CO/2 than a f-cking Polo Bluemotion which weighs almost 1,500 pounds less!

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      10-02-2012 11:45 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by warren_s View Post
      Disgusting? Come on, really? They managed to get that 3,800lb car to 62mph in under 3 seconds, well past 200mph at the top end, around the Nurburgring at the same pace as a Porsche GT2 RS, and faster than any Ferrari, Corvette, Pagani, Koenigssegg and Nissan you can name, and still return 80mpg in regular usage and 20mpg when you're caning it...... and be able to avoid London congestion charges because it emits less CO/2 than a f-cking Polo Bluemotion which weighs almost 1,500 pounds less!
      *shrug* It's not like the car would be a daily driver, so I couldn't care less about fuel consumption or congestion charges. It's an outright performance car, and that's what the focus should be on, in my eyes.

For the record though, the ZR1 is only 4 seconds off the 918 at the 'Ring, and the Zonda R does it 27 seconds faster than the 918 (and yes I know it's not street legal, but you said "any I could name" )

The Viper ACR ran the Ring 2 seconds faster than the 918.
      Last edited by nickthaskater; 10-02-2012 at 11:47 PM.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 WRX 2.5L/6 Speed/Rotated GT30R
      10-02-2012 11:47 PM #11
      I am very impressed with the concept and execution, and it is absolutely one of the most beautiful cars of recent designs. However, I am confused as to why someone who wouldn't daily drive this car would have any interest in driving in the fuel-saving mode, or even having that weight-burdening option. Hypercars are meant to push the limits of what a street car is capable of right before breaking into race car territory.

Still, with a car that looks that good I'd take it no matter what.

12. 10-02-2012 11:52 PM #12
      Ill take mine in black and red thank you

Vehicles
      2007 GTI DSG
      10-02-2012 11:54 PM #13
      Great video, really cool car. Can't say I disagree with the comment on it's weight. 3,800 lbs. is pretty hefty. One has to wonder what it would be like without all the hybrid equipment.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      10-02-2012 11:58 PM #14
      I'm sorry, but a $900,000 hypercar is unlikely to be a daily driver, so who gives a s**t about fuel economy? Damn batteries would likely be sitting wasting away in a garage.

The new McLaren and Ferrari F70 seem much more interesting and will likely be 500 to 600 pounds lighter if not more.
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

15. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      10-03-2012 12:06 AM #15
      *shrug* It's not like the car would be a daily driver, so I couldn't care less about fuel consumption or congestion charges. It's an outright performance car, and that's what the focus should be on, in my eyes.
      But it's not an outright performance car -- that's the GT2 RS's job. Same performance for about one quarter the cost. The 918 is a rolling technology showcase and a place for Porsche to show off what kind of sports car they'll be building 10 years from now. It's a lot like how the 959 was totally bonkers when it first appeared but by the time 2000 rolled around, Porsche was building a 911 Turbo for, what, a third the price-ish? that could keep up with it.

For the record though, the ZR1 is only 4 seconds off the 918 at the 'Ring, and the Zonda R does it 27 seconds faster than the 918 (and yes I know it's not street legal, but you said "any I could name" )
      I think you know I meant street-legal.

The Viper ACR ran the Ring 2 seconds faster than the 918.
      That's why I didn't mention Dodge.

But, hey, its still a year until the 918 goes into production and they're still at the ring every day working on it, so they have a good chance of finding those 2 seconds somewhere.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      10-03-2012 12:28 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
      I'm sorry, but a $900,000 hypercar is unlikely to be a daily driver, so who gives a s**t about fuel economy? Damn batteries would likely be sitting wasting away in a garage.
      I'm not so sure. There's a guy DDing a Porsche Carrera GT in downtown Toronto. You'll see it parked outside restaurants or other venues all the time. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he's on the list to replace it with a 918, because it sounds like the 918 is going to be a much better car for the city.

And I can think of one really good reason for improved fuel economy -- don't have to go to the gas station anywhere near as often. Plus, hey.... any woman will tell you that being able to go longer is just as important as being able to go stronger.

Also, the electric motors are basically doing what turbos would do in another car -- make it faster. But unlike turbos, you get a much flatter torque curve. The 918 Spyder is a NA car, too, which you'd think would appeal to people who don't like turbos....

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 318dA
      10-03-2012 01:22 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Nateblizzy View Post
      I am very impressed with the concept and execution, and it is absolutely one of the most beautiful cars of recent designs. However, I am confused as to why someone who wouldn't daily drive this car would have any interest in driving in the fuel-saving mode, or even having that weight-burdening option. Hypercars are meant to push the limits of what a street car is capable of right before breaking into race car territory.

Still, with a car that looks that good I'd take it no matter what.
      Me too, this is the first supercar to really solve the heat problems that plague cars in this segment when they are driven at 0.5/10 (which, let's be honest, a lot of them are). Also, in electric mode, it will be infinitely more usable in these circumstances as well.

Also, I am surprised that Lexus didn't pioneer supercar hybrid tech for the LF-A.

flick
      r

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

10-03-2012 01:31 AM #18
      Also, the electric motors are basically doing what turbos would do in another car -- make it faster. But unlike turbos, you get a much flatter torque curve. The 918 Spyder is a NA car, too, which you'd think would appeal to people who don't like turbos....
      It's a plug-in hybrid, so the electric motors are there for a lot more than just making it faster. Did you even read any of the literature on the car? The all-electric range is 25 kilometers, or 16 miles which means for a good start of any medium commute and possibly all of a short commute like my own drive to work and back you could do it without ever using gas at all. That's something turbos cannot claim.

Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      10-03-2012 02:20 AM #19
      Gotta love the weight comments. As if everyone here was smarter than Porsche engineers saying the car could've been made a whole lot lighter by leaving all the hybrid gear out. Maybe the high weight was a downside they deliberately accepted to make the car so fuel efficient?
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 02:27 AM #20
      I'm sorry, but a $900,000 hypercar is unlikely to be a daily driver, so who gives a s**t about fuel economy?
      Saudis driving their exotics in central London might disagree with you.

If you can afford a $900k supercar, then no, you probably don't need to worry about fuel economy or congestion charges. But that's not the point of this car. The point of this car is to showcase its manufacturer's best R&D skills. I'm sure for a lot of the owners it's going to be also a statement of environmental awareness.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      10-03-2012 02:36 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Gotta love the weight comments. As if everyone here was smarter than Porsche engineers saying the car could've been made a whole lot lighter by leaving all the hybrid gear out. Maybe the high weight was a downside they deliberately accepted to make the car so fuel efficient?
      It clearly states in the video that the car without the hybrid tech is 100kg lighter than the Carrera GT, meaning it could have been some 2,800 pounds instead of almost 3,800 pounds. That's pretty freaking significant.

Vehicles
      '93 Prelude VTEC, '00 GTI 1.8T, '91 Miata, '13 Golf R
      10-03-2012 04:18 AM #22
      If you can afford a $900k supercar, then no, you probably don't need to worry about fuel economy or congestion charges. But that's not the point of this car. The point of this car is to showcase its manufacturer's best R&D skills. I'm sure for a lot of the owners it's going to be also a statement of environmental awareness.
      I agree that this is a statement car for "green" performance but it lacks the visual drama of other cars in this price range. You have hypercars like the McLaren P1, Pagani Huayra, Bugatti Veyron and then you have a Boxster with a bodykit

Don't get me wrong. I think the 918 looks fantastic and should be even more dramatic in the flesh. Maybe the slightly more pedestrian looks of the 918 will make it a better daily driver for the image-conscious millionaire.

23. Member
      10-03-2012 04:22 AM #23

I agree.

I was having a chat with a friend earlier this evening about this car and I express the same sentiment. It isn't about fuel economy, it's proving and showing a point - all out speed isn't THAT challenging, when a mustang can hit 189 mph, cost $55k and come with a warranty, where is the glory in having a 200 mph $845,000 sports car? Doing so in a hybrid car with EV capabilities and absolute top sports car dynamics while still retaining benchmark performance stats - that is impressive. The ever rapidly evolving industry is almost beginning to get ahead of the cultural curve - hybrid racing (KERS systems as a starting point in F1) will become more mainstream, in 20 years time I would love to see it the norm in 'lesser' racing leagues.

And what I love about this car and what this video showed, the visceral aspect isn't lost. When that V8 kicked in, just watching the small video with the sound at moderate level - I was thrilled! It looks like such a rush, like how I would expect a top tier halo sports car to be. So what's not to like? Nit pick about how it's too heavy? Sure, when compared to other sports cars that aren't even in the same category - the weight will come down over time anyways, there needs to be a baseline for advances to come, period. Could it have been 'more pure'? I think that definition needs to adjust with technology and is a presumptuous anyways, or should they have made it air cooled?

I for one embrace our technology overlords.

24. 10-03-2012 04:57 AM #24
      Eh, throw me in the camp with the guys who'd want it lighter...and sounding better.

I'm saddened because the 918 is the best looking Porsche in years. I saw it, and immediately thought "please God, go to LeMans with this...".

I feel as if they just wasted a "who cares" technological showcase on this body design. I know they've run similar set-ups in some of their racing 911's etc. I don't see how Porsche race teams could possibly run this car affordably. Put this tech in a normal 911 or a Cayenne for all I care. Save that gorgeous body for a true kick-ass, roaring Porsche.

I feel the same way about the Honda CR-Z or whatever it's called. Such a cool little hatchback car, which SHOULD have had a nice little 9K rpm Si motor in it...instead it's given a sub-par electric/hybrid powerplant. Save that nonsense for the Civic (I understand these are "halo" products...but it's still disappointing)

10-03-2012 05:14 AM #25
      It's quite pretty, but I don't think it looks like a supercar. At least not in pictures and in the video. Looks more like a fancy Cayman.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 05:41 AM #26
      It clearly states in the video that the car without the hybrid tech is 100kg lighter than the Carrera GT, meaning it could have been some 2,800 pounds instead of almost 3,800 pounds. That's pretty freaking significant.
      Yes, I realize that. My point was that everyone here thinks they're a friggin genius saying the car could've been significantly lighter without the hybrid HW and wondering why Porsche added all that stuff and make the car too heavy. Maybe adding weight wasn't the point why they put all the hybrid gear in.

Vehicles
      '87 930 '77 Bronco '01 325iTSC '08 Xterra
      10-03-2012 06:46 AM #27
      Are you also disgusted about the Lamborghini Aventador weighing 3795lbs? It only has one engine.

28. 10-03-2012 06:55 AM #28
      Yes, I realize that. My point was that everyone here thinks they're a friggin genius saying the car could've been significantly lighter without the hybrid HW and wondering why Porsche added all that stuff and make the car too heavy. Maybe adding weight wasn't the point why they put all the hybrid gear in.
      ...and I think Porsche's point of view is that PORSCHE has to be worried about fuel economy/CO2 output - not the owners. Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't all the supercar manufacturers developing hybrids? EPA ratings aren't based on flogging the car around the 'ring.

10-03-2012 07:16 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by I once had a jetta View Post
      ...and I think Porsche's point of view is that PORSCHE has to be worried about fuel economy/CO2 output - not the owners. Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't all the supercar manufacturers developing hybrids? EPA ratings aren't based on flogging the car around the 'ring.
      EPA does not have any exception for low volume car makers like the EU equivalent does (Porsche probably produce too many cars to qualify for it either way, but I was more thinking about the other supercar manufactures)?

10-03-2012 08:18 AM #30
      The new McLaren and Ferrari F70 seem much more interesting and will likely be 500 to 600 pounds lighter if not more.
      I don't think the mission statement of either of those cars is quite as ambitious as what Porsche is trying to achieve here.
      Fires are the leading cause of fires.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-03-2012 09:33 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by patrickvr6 View Post
      Are you also disgusted about the Lamborghini Aventador weighing 3795lbs? It only has one engine.
      ^ This, for all the fancy lightweight carbon technology Lambo is involving itself in, Aventador is still a 3800 car on carbon tub(spectacular looking though it may be). The fact that its heavier than a Ferrari GT car in F12 which does not even use a composite chassis is already pretty ironic. With this thing Porsche is trying something different...As said without the hybrid the car would've been 100kg lighter than Carrera GT, which means they probably could still build that car down the line. But now they can still prove their point and technical prowess with this car. 25KM is longer than a lap around the Ring, how fast can it go around there on electric alone?

EDIT: Also intriguing are those new Michelin...low rolling resistance high performance tire? I hope some of that technology trickles down...
      Last edited by RacingManiac; 10-03-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      10-03-2012 10:23 AM #32
      Yes, I am. That said, at least the Lamborghini has the excuse of costing 1/3rd as much.

Vehicles
      '87 930 '77 Bronco '01 325iTSC '08 Xterra
      10-03-2012 10:33 AM #33
      Yes, I am. That said, at least the Lamborghini has the excuse of costing 1/3rd as much.
      So Porsche created a car with a hybrid AWD drive-train that weighs 800lbs more than it's rear wheel drive, manual only predecessor that didn't offer stability or traction control and you are pissed about it. Got it.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      10-03-2012 04:20 PM #34
      So Porsche created a car with a hybrid AWD drive-train that weighs 800lbs more than it's rear wheel drive, manual only predecessor that didn't offer stability or traction control and you are pissed about it. Got it.

Look at the Porsche I posted earlier in the thread and you'll see where my tastes lie.