Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 26 to 34 of 34

    Thread: Porsche 918 Spyder: a Ride In Porsche's Hybrid Hypercar - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS

    1. Senior Member Son's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2000
      Location
      Finland, The EU
      Posts
      29,651
      Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      10-03-2012 05:41 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      It clearly states in the video that the car without the hybrid tech is 100kg lighter than the Carrera GT, meaning it could have been some 2,800 pounds instead of almost 3,800 pounds. That's pretty freaking significant.
      Yes, I realize that. My point was that everyone here thinks they're a friggin genius saying the car could've been significantly lighter without the hybrid HW and wondering why Porsche added all that stuff and make the car too heavy. Maybe adding weight wasn't the point why they put all the hybrid gear in.
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

    2. Member patrickvr6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 29th, 2001
      Location
      Atlanta GA
      Posts
      9,186
      Vehicles
      '77 Bronco '85 Toyota 4x4 '87 930 '01 325i '08 Xterra
      10-03-2012 06:46 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      As cool as the 918 is, it's disgusting that a no compromise hypercar like this weighs ~3,800 pounds.
      Are you also disgusted about the Lamborghini Aventador weighing 3795lbs? It only has one engine.

    3. 10-03-2012 06:55 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Yes, I realize that. My point was that everyone here thinks they're a friggin genius saying the car could've been significantly lighter without the hybrid HW and wondering why Porsche added all that stuff and make the car too heavy. Maybe adding weight wasn't the point why they put all the hybrid gear in.
      ...and I think Porsche's point of view is that PORSCHE has to be worried about fuel economy/CO2 output - not the owners. Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't all the supercar manufacturers developing hybrids? EPA ratings aren't based on flogging the car around the 'ring.

    4. Member Galrot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Oslo, Norway
      Posts
      1,745
      Vehicles
      1974 Bmw 3.0si, 1975 Bmw 525
      10-03-2012 07:16 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by I once had a jetta View Post
      ...and I think Porsche's point of view is that PORSCHE has to be worried about fuel economy/CO2 output - not the owners. Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't all the supercar manufacturers developing hybrids? EPA ratings aren't based on flogging the car around the 'ring.
      EPA does not have any exception for low volume car makers like the EU equivalent does (Porsche probably produce too many cars to qualify for it either way, but I was more thinking about the other supercar manufactures)?

    5. Member Professor Gascan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 11th, 2002
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      10,464
      10-03-2012 08:18 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
      The new McLaren and Ferrari F70 seem much more interesting and will likely be 500 to 600 pounds lighter if not more.
      I don't think the mission statement of either of those cars is quite as ambitious as what Porsche is trying to achieve here.
      Rubbing alcohol is for external injuries. Drinking alcohol is for internal injuries. It's a science. - Nick Miller

    6. Member RacingManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2011
      Location
      SE Mi and Toronto
      Posts
      6,072
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-03-2012 09:33 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by patrickvr6 View Post
      Are you also disgusted about the Lamborghini Aventador weighing 3795lbs? It only has one engine.
      ^ This, for all the fancy lightweight carbon technology Lambo is involving itself in, Aventador is still a 3800 car on carbon tub(spectacular looking though it may be). The fact that its heavier than a Ferrari GT car in F12 which does not even use a composite chassis is already pretty ironic. With this thing Porsche is trying something different...As said without the hybrid the car would've been 100kg lighter than Carrera GT, which means they probably could still build that car down the line. But now they can still prove their point and technical prowess with this car. 25KM is longer than a lap around the Ring, how fast can it go around there on electric alone?

      EDIT: Also intriguing are those new Michelin...low rolling resistance high performance tire? I hope some of that technology trickles down...
      Last edited by RacingManiac; 10-03-2012 at 09:44 AM.

    7. Member nickthaskater's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver, BC
      Posts
      12,441
      Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      10-03-2012 10:23 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by patrickvr6 View Post
      Are you also disgusted about the Lamborghini Aventador weighing 3795lbs? It only has one engine.
      Yes, I am. That said, at least the Lamborghini has the excuse of costing 1/3rd as much.

    8. Member patrickvr6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 29th, 2001
      Location
      Atlanta GA
      Posts
      9,186
      Vehicles
      '77 Bronco '85 Toyota 4x4 '87 930 '01 325i '08 Xterra
      10-03-2012 10:33 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      Yes, I am. That said, at least the Lamborghini has the excuse of costing 1/3rd as much.
      So Porsche created a car with a hybrid AWD drive-train that weighs 800lbs more than it's rear wheel drive, manual only predecessor that didn't offer stability or traction control and you are pissed about it. Got it.


    9. Member nickthaskater's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver, BC
      Posts
      12,441
      Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      10-03-2012 04:20 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by patrickvr6 View Post
      So Porsche created a car with a hybrid AWD drive-train that weighs 800lbs more than it's rear wheel drive, manual only predecessor that didn't offer stability or traction control and you are pissed about it. Got it.
      Look at the Porsche I posted earlier in the thread and you'll see where my tastes lie.

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •