Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Awful dull old people colours...

Vehicles
      '07 Z4 Coupe (2012-), '86 VW Cabriolet (2009-); '97 Audi A4 1.8tq (2003-12), '85 VW GTI (1995-2003)
      10-02-2012 07:46 PM #26
      gti_matt & i were just discussing this; seems to me Nissan is one of the few companies that has (almost) always offered a green option (a color i want to own), but this thread made me think of this pic:

despite 4 of my 7 cars being silver, i am a color fan and besides liking/wanting a green car someday, brown is high on my list, too (mmm, macadamia); the dearth of color choices these days is indeed depressing!
      Quote Originally Posted by @jackiecarbajal
      I want to be as confident as a dog wearing sunglasses.

10-02-2012 07:48 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by slirt View Post
      gti_matt & i were just discussing this; seems to me Nissan is one of the few companies that has (almost) always offered a green option (a color i want to own), but this thread made me think of this pic:

despite 4 of my 7 cars being silver, i am a color fan and besides liking/wanting a green car someday, brown is high on my list, too (mmm, macadamia); the dearth of color choices these days is indeed depressing!
      Throw a beige or silver in there (for the people that want it), and this photo would be the perfect example of a good colour line up IMO.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      10-02-2012 07:49 PM #28
      More vivid and varied exterior color choices is a nice trend, but the place in today's automobiles where color is BADLY needed is INSIDE the cars. The boredom of grey or black is exceeded only by the depressing nature of those two damnable interior color "choices" in so many of today's cars, no matter the price. We spend far more time inside our cars than outside admiring them, so why not make the surroundings a little bit more cheery and interesting to the eye? The prior-age designers did overdo the tinsel perhaps, but sitting inside a fifties car was a colorful and cheerful experience. Why not bring some of that feeling back, updated to contemporary values?

1958 Pontiac interior; a typical example:

Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

10-02-2012 07:57 PM #29
      I like dark, monochromatic interiors. Not really sure why. I have to say, the only thing that wasn't well thought out in my Volvo was the shiny tan dash. I get so much reflection in my windshield its really, really distracting.

Or maybe 22AudiQ did such a good job on the detail that it hasn't dulled to the factory spec yet?

Chris
      | 2015 Chevy Sonic | 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan | 1990 Ford F-150 | 2014 Prius | 1997 Chevy Tahoe | 1965 Buick Riviera |

5. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW 328i
      10-02-2012 08:04 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      More vivid and varied exterior color choices is a nice trend, but the place in today's automobiles where color is BADLY needed is INSIDE the cars. The boredom of grey or black is exceeded only by the depressing nature of those two damnable interior color "choices" in so many of today's cars, no matter the price. We spend far more time inside our cars than outside admiring them, so why not make the surroundings a little bit more cheery and interesting to the eye? The prior-age designers did overdo the tinsel perhaps, but sitting inside a fifties car was a colorful and cheerful experience. Why not bring some of that feeling back, updated to contemporary values.
      I see where you're coming from with this, but, like the paint thing, I feel that the problem is well on the way to being fixed already. A large amount of today's new cars offer a pleasant amount of flare and contrast especially compared to the monotone tan rubber coated disasters of the 90s. Having grown up at that time and seeing some of the interiors of the Japanese cars driving around at the time has caused Japanese cars to have a negative stigma in my mind to this day.

This:

is eons better than this:

10-02-2012 08:15 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      More vivid and varied exterior color choices is a nice trend, but the place in today's automobiles where color is BADLY needed is INSIDE the cars. The boredom of grey or black is exceeded only by the depressing nature of those two damnable interior color "choices" in so many of today's cars, no matter the price. We spend far more time inside our cars than outside admiring them, so why not make the surroundings a little bit more cheery and interesting to the eye? The prior-age designers did overdo the tinsel perhaps, but sitting inside a fifties car was a colorful and cheerful experience. Why not bring some of that feeling back, updated to contemporary values?

1958 Pontiac interior; a typical example:
      Good point. I refuse to get a beige or grey interior... That means my only "option" is black... Which isn't an option on some cars... OR it is an option but only on exterior colours that are awful .

But, at least there are SOME stand out cars now...

Vehicles
      2015 Mazda CX-5 GT
      10-02-2012 08:32 PM #32
      Sometimes silver or gray can look incredible... on the right car. If the paint is deep and lustrous. If the curves of the car show it off right. Even gold/champagne/beige on the right car can look right. Every time I see a previous gen XC70 in that colour I think it looks right... when I see the nearly same colour on a Camry I just sigh (actually... I don't even care, sighing takes effort, and it's not technically a let down, it's an expectation).

What it comes down to is people buy cars to drive for 2-5 years, then sell them or return their lease. Why would they buy a colour that would negatively affect the resale value/options. Also, most people just don't want attention drawn to themselves or have that outgoing of a personality that a bright yellow or green statement to the world is right for them.

Quote Originally Posted by eunos94 View Post
      I buy black, white and yellow cars. Well I only like yellow on a Corvettes, super cars and Beetles. I've owned 4 Beetles and of course they've all been yellow.

Dash of my 2012

My former 2000 and my current 1970 together.
      OT, but I didn't think VW was doing blue numerals on their gauge faces anymore? I've seen other late model VW dashes in pics with blue as well. They come from the factory white, is this a mod?

Vehicles
      Yellow 1970 Beetle & Yellow Rush 2012 Beetle 2.5L Tiptronic
      10-02-2012 08:35 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Live-Wire View Post
      Sometimes silver or gray can look incredible... on the right car. If the paint is deep and lustrous. If the curves of the car show it off right. Even gold/champagne/beige on the right car can look right. Every time I see a previous gen XC70 in that colour I think it looks right... when I see the nearly same colour on a Camry I just sigh (actually... I don't even care, sighing takes effort, and it's not technically a let down, it's an expectation).

What it comes down to is people buy cars to drive for 2-5 years, then sell them or return their lease. Why would they buy a colour that would negatively affect the resale value/options. Also, most people just don't want attention drawn to themselves or have that outgoing of a personality that a bright yellow or green statement to the world is right for them.

OT, but I didn't think VW was doing blue numerals on their gauge faces anymore? I've seen other late model VW dashes in pics with blue as well. They come from the factory white, is this a mod?
      Actually they are white but my HTC phone somehow modified them to be blue. Maybe it's a hint I should change them?
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

Vehicles
      1998 Cabrio | 2001 M3
      10-02-2012 09:19 PM #34
      Here here. There is also the unfortunate assumption by manufacturers that consumers all want complex color effects with names ending in "_____ Gloss Pearl Mica Metallic" or something like that. What's wrong with simple, bold colors?!

Vehicles
      1998 Cabrio | 2001 M3
      10-02-2012 09:19 PM #35

Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      10-02-2012 09:22 PM #36
      Meet one of my favorite VW colors, Mountain Green.

Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      '01 BMW 740i Sport, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      10-03-2012 10:27 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Live-Wire View Post

Both these statemetns came up repeatedly on another forum when discussing orange cars (the OP of a thread there had bought a bright orange new M3) and the general consensus from most posters was that it was too flashy, that they didn't like being the center of attention and that they thought resale would tank. Even the people that liked the color woudl never own a car in orange, yellow, bright green or red for those reasons.

I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12