Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is an 04 R32 a better car than an 08 GTI 2.0?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Rabbit
      10-02-2012 06:45 PM #1
      they seam to be very close together price wise, if i don't "need" awd to get by, what's the advantage of the R32?

also, this would be a DD for work, 30K per year.

thx, rick

Vehicles
      MKIV R32-RS & 06 Specialized Rock Hopper
      10-02-2012 06:47 PM #2
      in short, this is waste of time for you to ask. this forum is R32 biased.

But if you want OPINIONS, ask away.....

Mine, I love my R32 for Daily drving because its 1 of 5000 in the country, Its AWD, It sounds like a Mini Lambo, and I hate the body of the 2008 GTI.
      Last edited by VincewagenR32; 10-02-2012 at 06:49 PM.
      "A genius is not measured by what he knows, but with what he can figure out with what he already knows."
      Quote Originally Posted by power_mind View Post
      Also, remember that you can throw the whole parts bin at the car, you can even pick and choose, but the best modification is to tighten the loose nut behind the wheel.
      PM me For LA County (sfv/sgv) VAGCOM/VCDS Scans

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan 4Motion, 2004 R32, 1982 Caddy TDI, 1975 Scirocco 1.8T
      10-02-2012 07:14 PM #3
      newer cars are always more refined.

why would they go backwards?

however, they do lack the raw character of an R32.
      Andrew Cordeiro www.makehasteracing.com Follow me on Twitter @MakeHasteRacing & Instagram @MakeHasteRacing
      Former 2008-2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup #26
      PROTECT YOUR NECK!! Race safe.Click Here for DefNder's at a LOW PRICE

Vehicles
      2004 VW .:R32, 1982 Porsche 928S Euro, 1923 Ford T-Bucket, 1962 VW Myers Manx (sold), 2000 Trans Am
      10-02-2012 07:55 PM #4
      have you driven the new golf .:R? they are HORRIBLE. I dont understand what all the hype is about. They pull like a dead dog, the electronic steering could not be any more annoying (you can turn quickly and maintain a specific steering angle and feel the car sluggishly adding steering to catch up to your inputs), the throttle response makes me want to kill myself (it cuts throttle upon full clutch engagement to keep the grandmothers that drive this car from flying into the back of other cars)

the point is, the direction VW is taking is not one to my liking. They are making their performance cars more "driveable" for the average person. I feel like a retard could hop in a new Golf .:R, keep all the driver aids on and post a decent time around Laguna Seca. The driver is becoming more unconnected than ever and kept from being able to grab the blood and bones of a car and tell it what to do, dealing with all of the huss-and-fuss the car can deliver. Its like having a child but not raising it on your own. Instead, you have this separate being that manipulates and translates everything you want to say or do with the child into what it thinks you are trying to say and do. Its like that whispering repeating game we used to play as kids. One person at one end of the line whispers something into the ear of the person next to them and this continues until you run out of people. By the end of the line, the statement that the first person whispered has changed into something completely different.

The MKIV R32 does not aid its driver, every input is connected, there are no electronic safety features that cut the throttle to keep you from running into people. I left the dealer with a BIG smile on my face knowing that they wanted $40k for a car that did nothing but make me like my car more.

I could not disagree more with the statement that newer cars are always more refined. Each model year that comes out has more s**t tacked on to it that make it more "luxurious" and add "creature comforts". That is quite literally the opposite of the definition of "refined". If anything, they are becoming less and less refined and getting more and more sexually confused.
      Last edited by EIPtuningR32; 10-02-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Vehicles
      MKIV S/C .:R32
      10-02-2012 08:02 PM #5
      ^^^^ this thread has nothing to do with the new R

Back on topic.........Like VincewagenR32 said this forum is biased.

This is only a decision you can make. They're two totally different cars.

With that said.........get a mkiv R
      Anger is a gift

Vehicles
      2004 VW R32, Miata hardparker
      10-02-2012 08:14 PM #6
      mk5 Golf > mk5 GTI

Vehicles
      2004 VW .:R32, 1982 Porsche 928S Euro, 1923 Ford T-Bucket, 1962 VW Myers Manx (sold), 2000 Trans Am
      10-02-2012 08:16 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ChubbaDub View Post
      ^^^^ this thread has nothing to do with the new R

Back on topic.........Like VincewagenR32 said this forum is biased.

This is only a decision you can make. They're two totally different cars.

With that said.........get a mkiv R
      get the stick out of your a$$. The same argument can be made for the 08 GTI.

Vehicles
      2012 A3
      10-02-2012 08:16 PM #8
      OP, have you driven both? I would.

For me, the R has been great since the day I drove it off the showroom floor. I have never owned a car so long, and the fun factor has yet to wear off for me.

The gti is a great car, no bones about it. So is the MKIV R, no bones about that either. But I honestly do not hear about SO many previous gti owners regretting the moment they sold. Round these parts hat has been a very common theme.

As others have said, it comes down to preference and what you are looking for out of the car. Since it is a daily driver for you, you may want (depending on where you are, admittedly I did not look) to consider the silly amount of fun and confidence you can have in an R32 in the snow. With the right tires it's just... in the snow.

A four year younger car is going to have some stuff over an 04. That stuff, to me, is worthless. It may be different for you...

The visceral experience is what keeps me planted where I am. Well, the seats and steering wheel too... The exhaust note... The body style... The overall style... The 'rarity' matters to some and none to others... There are a lot of things that in my mind pump the R over everything else in my price range.

As you can see, for my dollar, the R is a hands down easy choice. I might be willing to bet a dollar that the same may be true for you once you have a little seat time... And I know nothing about you...
      Last edited by M00NEY; 10-02-2012 at 08:20 PM.
      signatures do not show up in tapatalk

Vehicles
      2011 FORD .:Raptor
      10-02-2012 08:32 PM #9
      Love mine, and Mooney
      *R32 1518*, biggest head ever to fit in a GOLF!
      Congrats, turd burglar.

Vehicles
      04 .:R32 ,02 Jetta 1.8T,95 GTI
      10-02-2012 09:00 PM #10
      Iv driven both. When I was looking to buy a car I test drove mk5 GTI and bought the R32

Just a way better car and doesn't look like a jelly bean
      Follow me on Instagram Wookies In the Woods
      PM Me about if you need Vagcom scan in the GTA or Barrie area
      - 2004 Vw Golf .:R32
      - 2002 Vw Jetta1.8T
      - 1995 Vw Golf GTi 2.slow (Timeline tread)

11. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Rabbit
      10-02-2012 09:05 PM #11
      The post about the 08 being too "soft" is very interesting. I dig a dd that requires some attention, just a little less NVH than my TJ.

Keep offering up your experiences. I'll start driving them this weekend, lots for sale around here.

Vehicles
      MkIV .:R32
      10-02-2012 09:59 PM #12
      yes it is in my opinion...

Vehicles
      07 GTI - 04 .:R - 01 Jetta wagon - 57 Oval - 05 Tacoma
      10-02-2012 10:00 PM #13
      I am the OG owner of my .:R and love the raw feel when driving it. I picked up a 07 GTI to split DD duty with my Tacoma a while back. The GTI is the first auto i have owned in over 10 years and I enjoy the DGS esp. when in traffic. I would have a hard time picking between them if i had to sell one. If you want to be one of the few and proud get the .:R if you wanna daily something for a bit then move on get the GTI the cost of ownership will be less over the years.

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 10:03 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
      The post about the 08 being too "soft" is very interesting. I dig a dd that requires some attention, just a little less NVH than my TJ.

Keep offering up your experiences. I'll start driving them this weekend, lots for sale around here.
      That is the best thing you can do. Everybody has a favorite flavor.

Vehicles
      04 R32, 07 Jetta 2.0t(wifes)
      10-03-2012 12:07 AM #15
      This is just from my experience. You said if you don't "need" AWD but depending on the person, you might regret not having it. Not sure if you are planning on getting a ECU tune if you got the GTI but you should cause it is awesome. Those tunes give you a lot of torque really early. I had a tuned mk4 GTI and it was a blast to have all that but you get a lot of torque steer and until you get use to handling it, a lot of wheel spin. I just always had in my mind, I wonder how much better this would be with AWD. Although the R32 doesn't have as much tq as my GTI, it is way more fun to have all that grip for the tq. Blowing away from a light in the R is just much more fun than the GTI.

This also might not apply to you but I just thought the R32 looked was more awesome so I just wanted parts on my GTI to make it look as nice as a R32. Lucky I never did and just bought a R and never looked back. I work with the guy that owns my old GTI and I still don't miss driving in it even though it was a excellent car.

Honestly, either way you got 2 great cars to choose from.
      "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." -Jeremy Clarkson

Vehicles
      MKIV S/C .:R32
      10-03-2012 01:03 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by EIPtuningR32 View Post
      get the stick out of your a$$. The same argument can be made for the 08 GTI.

You mad???

Dont get your vagina all in a twist cause you fail to pay attention to the topic.
      OP didnt ask anything about the new R so as to why youre giving your opinion on it is beyond me.
      Get the stick out of my a$$???? Guess I should expect a response like that from some EIP douchebag........EIP's been reamin people in the a$$ for years.
      Anger is a gift

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 05:42 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by ChubbaDub View Post
      You mad???

Dont get your vagina all in a twist cause you fail to pay attention to the topic.
      OP didnt ask anything about the new R so as to why youre giving your opinion on it is beyond me.
      Get the stick out of my a$$???? Guess I should expect a response like that from some EIP douchebag........EIP's been reamin people in the a$$ for years.
      my vagina is huge, its always in a knot.
      Most of the comment i made was in reference to Andrew stating that newer cars were more refined.
      I didnt fail at anything here, the point is that the argument i made for the Golf .:R is the same argument i make for the GTI.
      i have nothing to do with EIPtuning. Thinking that like is me assuming your a fat f**k internet troll that likes VW.
      You're too trigger happy on playing the thread cleaner. I'm on topic. deal with it.

Last edited by EIPtuningR32; 10-03-2012 at 05:44 AM.

18. 10-03-2012 08:39 AM #18
      Which car you get will also depend upon your emotional attachment to it and to driving in general:

You're looking at two used cars, one is four years older than the other. If I were being purely analytical I'd get the newer used car every time if other considerations are basically equal.

You said you want a DD to put 30k a year on... that's a lot of miles per year on an already 8-year old car. You might find the GTI less expensive and more reliable in the long run.

If AWD really doesn't matter, then there's another check mark for the GTI...

You might be able to find an 08 GTI as Certified Used with a better warranty... again, another check mark in the GTI's column if you find a CPO...

However, if you drive the R and decide you can't live without it no amount of logic, math, practicality or pragmatism will change your mind... you'll need the R.

Vehicles
      MKIV .:R32
      10-03-2012 11:35 AM #19
      I was sold when I first got into the R. The sound of the exhaust was amazing. The thick steering wheel made me feel connected to the car. The seats with the huge bolsters made me feel like I was sitting in a race car. The sheer number of the cars produced (5,000 were sent to the US, and I have no idea how many have been wrecked since 04). For me it was like a light switch. One week I was driving my Jetta, then I drove a buddies R. The next weekend the Jetta was sold and I was driving across 3 states to pick up my R. I have never felt a connection to a car as much as the MKIV R32.

Overall man you will have to drive them and see what you want. Maybe your light switch will come on too.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      Blue Car
      10-03-2012 01:05 PM #20
      my brother has an 08 gti (6sp MT) and I have driven it back to back compared to my R.

The GTI feels a bit more "refined" in the sense that it does not give you a very raw driver experience. it does have decent power in stock form for a daily driver. I am envious of the gas mileage that he gets but that comes with the territory of a 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder. He can probably fit more stuff into his car with the rear seats folded down than I can in the R.

I think the R is way more fun to drive aggressively though. It just feels more stable and planted. I prefer being able to hear my car, so the exhaust note of the R easily wins there. To me, I just feel more at home in the R than i did in the GTI
      DBP .:R

21. Member
      Vehicles
      R32 MK V
      10-03-2012 01:55 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
      this would be a DD for work, 30K per year.
      R32 is a great DD ( have a 2008 so just guessing about the 2004) but for 30k a year .... That make the juvenile pocket rocket ( aka GTI) look like the wiser choice. But you knew this already > brain = GTI and fun = R32

Vehicles
      2004 vw R32
      10-03-2012 04:27 PM #22
      I bought my R @ 58,000 for $17000 and have had it for a year n a half and now have 80,000. I seriously thought hard about the already mentioned old car syndrome, especially knowing it would be a DD and a VW(haha). A lot of R's you find will not be completely stock. So who's to say what was done if your a 3rd-4th owner. My wiring had been messed with and pieces missing that took me a while to realize. That may be a factor when choosing. But of course theres gonna be little things to fix like all used cars. I have yet to be stranded though. The gti is a very nice car, but its no R. The mpg factor depends on your foot, its 4 vs 6. And I promise you, if you buy an R you won't dread going to work! Every morning on my way to the office I sometimes cruise @ 120 over the bridge and am instantly in a better mood when I get there, and all i can say when i walk in is "i love my R" ! My R favored 2cents.

Vehicles
      MKIV R32-RS & 06 Specialized Rock Hopper
      10-03-2012 04:47 PM #23
      do you want to be Cool and own a rare car that is 1 of 5000 and one of the fastest Vw's ever made with AWD (not to mention holds its value)

or

Do you want just another GTI on the road that some kid has all jucied up trying to race ppl in hondas....

I thought so
      Last edited by VincewagenR32; 10-03-2012 at 04:50 PM.
      "A genius is not measured by what he knows, but with what he can figure out with what he already knows."
      Quote Originally Posted by power_mind View Post
      Also, remember that you can throw the whole parts bin at the car, you can even pick and choose, but the best modification is to tighten the loose nut behind the wheel.
      PM me For LA County (sfv/sgv) VAGCOM/VCDS Scans

Vehicles
      space ship
      10-03-2012 05:28 PM #24
      R32 is like prestige.... Truly a breast!!! Once you drive one, you'll think **** that gti....

Vehicles
      '04 .:R32 '98 GTI 2.0 '03 GLX Passat Wagon, '88 Cabbriolet
      10-03-2012 05:47 PM #25
      The problem with the R32 for me is that I love it so much. I just got one as a daily and it took two months for me to realize that there is no way I can daily the thing. I can't stand parking lots, people getting in and out of the R32 and standing on the door sills, pulling the seat lever, eating in it, putting excess miles on, getting rear ended, I fret about it all day. I'm now going to daily a MK1 beater in order to preserve the R....so I have no nice daily, lol. I'm perfectly fine with it but a practical situation it is not.

Vehicles
      2004 Volkswagen .:R32 DBP
      10-03-2012 08:50 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by CISinjected View Post
      The problem with the R32 for me is that I love it so much. I just got one as a daily and it took two months for me to realize that there is no way I can daily the thing. I can't stand parking lots, people getting in and out of the R32 and standing on the door sills, pulling the seat lever, eating in it, putting excess miles on, getting rear ended, I fret about it all day. I'm now going to daily a MK1 beater in order to preserve the R....so I have no nice daily, lol. I'm perfectly fine with it but a practical situation it is not.

they correct their behavior, or they walk...

park away from other cars.

back to topic... the obvious economic choice is the GTI. I've never driven a GTI. i was thinking about economy versus the car i wanted when in the market. i bought the car i wanted and not the honda fit. needless to say, i love to drive my R and have NEVER thought about what it would be like to have the honda instead.

test drive them, as others have said, then make the decision, though something tells me after you drive them, there won't be a decision.

Vehicles
      08 BT GTI, 04 .:R32
      10-03-2012 09:22 PM #27
      i have both...and i ****ing love them. my .:R is stock and will remain that way and my GTI has a K04'd. both of them dailys and reliable. it just depends on how i feel when i walk out of my front door.
      ZeGERMAN deutschland am start...was geht!
      (Oo)GTI_\X/__(oO)
      (080).:R32=\X/===(080)

Vehicles
      '04 .:R32 '98 GTI 2.0 '03 GLX Passat Wagon, '88 Cabbriolet
      10-03-2012 10:31 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by turtle808 View Post

back to topic...
      It WAS on topic. Comparing a Honda to an R32 is off topic. In what planet is anyone comparing a Fit to an R32?

Can't really tell my kids to walk either. Sort of illegal to abandon them at various gas stations, schools, or other possible stops that are made up of my daily schedule.

And no, nobody who has parked away from other cars has ever gotten a shopping car to the door or a fender bender.

Vehicles
      Mk IV R32, Mk II 16v Gti
      10-03-2012 11:03 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by andrew1984 View Post
      newer cars are always more refined.

2008 a newer car? Not by that much. And the Mk 5s had some refinements but were less sophisticated in some ways. I would definitely not give up my R for an 08 GTi. Nowhere near as much car.
      Rent my house in Greece.

http://kastro-greece.com

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 11:07 PM #30
      ok, im an R die hard as well... but lets not lie to ourselves.

Volkswagen will never come out with a new car that is worse then the previous.

An Mk5 DOES perform better on the track compared to mk4.

Mk6 DOES perform better than mk5 as well.

The Mk2 is better than Mk1, etc, etc.

Like I said though - the R32 has an extremely distinctive character that stands out, forever.
      Andrew Cordeiro www.makehasteracing.com Follow me on Twitter @MakeHasteRacing & Instagram @MakeHasteRacing

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 11:10 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by turtle808 View Post

back to topic...

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 11:17 PM #32

Mk6 DOES perform better than mk5 as well.

The Mk2 is better than Mk1, etc, etc.

Like I said though - the R32 has an extremely distinctive character that stands out, forever.
      i agree each model does some things better than the previous one, but they are becoming easier and easier to drive and having less and less mechanical character to them. I feel more of a man/mechanical relationship with the MK4 chassis than i do with the MK5 and MK6 chassis. I can see what you are saying. Take a MK4 R32 and a MK5 R32 and the MK5 may outperform the MK4, but i can guarantee i will feel more involved in the accomplishments of the MK4 than the MK5. I personally feel, having driven both, that the MK4 is a faster car. With the MK4 you are in the middle of everything, and you can look back and say, "yeah, I did that" much more than you could in a MK5 or MK6 chassis.
      Last edited by EIPtuningR32; 10-03-2012 at 11:52 PM.

Vehicles
      2004 DBP R32; 1971 Superbug
      10-03-2012 11:24 PM #33

Does it?

Mk V VW R32 on the Nurburgring, SportAuto test...

"...Being 12 seconds slower than its predecessor is disappointing due to the heavy weight. Also the acceleration figures show absolutely no progress compared to the Golf IV R32, no improvement at the Hockenheim short track as well.

The Golf V R32 more is a grand tourer than a sports car. It offers perfect handling, always enough power as well as a lot of fun to the every day driver especially due to the permanent 4WD which on the other hand also contributes to the high weight.

0-200-0 km/h in 35.5 secs. again this is about 2.3 slower than its predecessor.

1.1g max. lateral accleration, this is not better than the 200 bhp Golf GTI.

Due to the 4WD, the Golf V R32 offers pretty good handling in the 36m slalon, the 11m evasion test and in the wet. Only the brakes are a bit weak and tend to fade...."

One of my favorite articles.
      PM if you are looking for: Euro Headlight switches; RHD folding Stubbies.
      OEM+ freaks click here: Graeme's Webspace - Latest Updates: Passenger Footlight Mounting Bracket; Handbrake Return Springs; CC LED mod; Interior Monitor Switch Mod; Camshaft Hall Sensors; Bulb Check System

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 11:27 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by graeme86 View Post
      Does it?

Mk V VW R32 on the Nurburgring, SportAuto test...

"...Being 12 seconds slower than its predecessor is disappointing due to the heavy weight. Also the acceleration figures show absolutely no progress compared to the Golf IV R32, no improvement at the Hockenheim short track as well.

The Golf V R32 more is a grand tourer than a sports car. It offers perfect handling, always enough power as well as a lot of fun to the every day driver especially due to the permanent 4WD which on the other hand also contributes to the high weight.

0-200-0 km/h in 35.5 secs. again this is about 2.3 slower than its predecessor.

1.1g max. lateral accleration, this is not better than the 200 bhp Golf GTI.

Due to the 4WD, the Golf V R32 offers pretty good handling in the 36m slalon, the 11m evasion test and in the wet. Only the brakes are a bit weak and tend to fade...."

One of my favorite articles.
      it does have better structural rigidity.

regardless, great quote on a great car.
      Last edited by EIPtuningR32; 10-03-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 11:27 PM #35
      it isnt a fair comparison - all else being equal.

unless it was the same driver for both tests, its bogus.

mk5 r32 doesnt do it for me either, but it is a better car- even if slightly :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast