Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is an 04 R32 a better car than an 08 GTI 2.0?

Vehicles
      2004 VW .:R32, 1982 Porsche 928S Euro, 1923 Ford T-Bucket, 1962 VW Myers Manx (sold), 2000 Trans Am
      10-04-2012 12:32 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by andrew1984 View Post
      it isnt a fair comparison - all else being equal.

unless it was the same driver for both tests, its bogus.

mk5 r32 doesnt do it for me either, but it is a better car- even if slightly :p
      better car is a very non-assertive statement. i believe a well cared for MK4 .:R is better than a well cared for MK5 .:R. i just feel the car communicates with the driver better.

Vehicles
      04 R32T, 2010 Eos 6spd, 95 Cabrio, 95 Wrangler
      10-04-2012 12:36 AM #37
      mk4 R32.
      might be older but a better car. IMO
      <3 R32T
      All About the Spool

Vehicles
      2011 FORD .:Raptor
      10-04-2012 12:46 AM #38
      I owed the mk V GLI, it was very smooth and comfortable. I went to the mk IV R32 and it was RAW. Best word to describe it is RAW. It's loud and harsh with much more driver input and road feed back. I took a car as RAW as the R32 and stiffened the thing even more:

Shifter Cable bushings
      Engine mounts
      Stiffer suspension
      Harsh aggressive tires
      Wider wheels
      Harsh brake pads
      Lighter but noisy flywheel
      No CAT exhaust, race muffler
      UM mounts
      Autotech 22mm rear sway bar
      Gruven control arms with heims
      Adjustable sway bar end links with heim

A ton of things were replaced with more aggressive parts. This car is so far from a mk V or a mk VI that it's crazy. You guys believe a stock mk V or VI can out run the R32? Either straight or through the curves? I don't see that happening. Maybe a stock R32 with a poor driver would fall behind in a race. VW simply doesn't build RAW harsh cars anymore. I guess you could build the new GOLF R into a track star but who wants to drop $35,000 then another $5,000 in mods just to keep up with an 8 year old high mileage golf.

If you need bells and whistles and you want comfort and convenience then buy a GTI.
      If you want a RAW and Harsh daily driver that excels at delivering the BASICs and fundamentals of the driving experience I suggest you get the R32.
      *R32 1518*, biggest head ever to fit in a GOLF!
      Congrats, turd burglar.

Vehicles
      2004 VW .:R32, 1982 Porsche 928S Euro, 1923 Ford T-Bucket, 1962 VW Myers Manx (sold), 2000 Trans Am
      10-04-2012 12:49 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by rajuncajun37 View Post
      I owed the mk V GLI, it was very smooth and comfortable. I went to the mk IV R32 and it was RAW. Best word to describe it is RAW. It's loud and harsh with much more driver input and road feed back. I took a car as RAW as the R32 and stiffened the thing even more:

Shifter Cable bushings
      Engine mounts
      Stiffer suspension
      Harsh aggressive tires
      Wider wheels
      Harsh brake pads
      Lighter but noisy flywheel
      No CAT exhaust, race muffler
      UM mounts
      Autotech 22mm rear sway bar
      Gruven control arms with heims
      Adjustable sway bar end links with heim

A ton of things were replaced with more aggressive parts. This car is so far from a mk V or a mk VI that it's crazy. You guys believe a stock mk V or VI can out run the R32? Either straight or through the curves? I don't see that happening. Maybe a stock R32 with a poor driver would fall behind in a race. VW simply doesn't build RAW harsh cars anymore. I guess you could build the new GOLF R into a track star but who wants to drop $35,000 then another $5,000 in mods just to keep up with an 8 year old high mileage golf.

If you need bells and whistles and you want comfort and convenience then buy a GTI.
      If you want a RAW and Harsh daily driver that excels at delivering the BASICs and fundamentals of the driving experience I suggest you get the R32.
      to everything this guy says

5. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Rabbit
      10-04-2012 12:53 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by EIPtuningR32 View Post
      to everything this guy says
      i understand what he says, i DD a tuned NC2.

Vehicles
      MKIV R32-RS & 06 Specialized Rock Hopper
      10-04-2012 02:01 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by CISinjected View Post
      And no, nobody who has parked away from other cars has ever gotten a shopping car to the door or a fender bender.
      FALSE, 2nd week owning my R some ass**** scrap the front bumper....

btw i was parked far from everyone and yet this dumbass did the most failed u-turn ever.....EVER.
      "A genius is not measured by what he knows, but with what he can figure out with what he already knows."
      Quote Originally Posted by power_mind View Post
      Also, remember that you can throw the whole parts bin at the car, you can even pick and choose, but the best modification is to tighten the loose nut behind the wheel.
      Instagram : Visualblurr

Vehicles
      '04 .:R32 '98 GTI 2.0 '03 GLX Passat Wagon, '88 Cabbriolet
      10-04-2012 02:09 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by VincewagenR32 View Post
      FALSE, 2nd week owning my R some ass**** scrap the front bumper....

btw i was parked far from everyone and yet this dumbass did the most failed u-turn ever.....EVER.
      haha yeah that's exactly what I'm saying! Sarcasm doesn't come through very well in text sorry my bad. I was in a foul mood last night.

Vehicles
      2004 Volkswagen .:R32 DBP
      10-04-2012 03:48 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by CISinjected View Post
      It WAS on topic. Comparing a Honda to an R32 is off topic. In what planet is anyone comparing a Fit to an R32?

Can't really tell my kids to walk either. Sort of illegal to abandon them at various gas stations, schools, or other possible stops that are made up of my daily schedule.

And no, nobody who has parked away from other cars has ever gotten a shopping car to the door or a fender bender.

so, the "back on topic" was for ME to get back on topic. if that confused you, sorry. you can still not let your kids eat in the car. parking away from others still reduces risk.

my comparison of getting a car that gets better gas mileage (in this case a 4 cyl GTI) versus an R is on topic. just happened to be a honda. my point was i drove the R, i didn't even bother trying the honda. once i got in the driver's seat of my friend's R (rip... one less 04 DBP) i was hooked.

alles klar?

9. 10-07-2012 03:06 PM #44
      What kinda of question is that ?? I take it your new to VW.
      Do some research. .
      In this economy the 2.0. Way better gas mileage

F*$K You Pay Me

10. 10-07-2012 03:09 PM #45
      Plus if you only.make 30k a year don't get either both ain't gonna fit that budget. I make 43k and I just saved 20k for my R 32. Took me almost 2 years to save.

F*$K You Pay Me

11. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Rabbit
      10-07-2012 04:16 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by ABM in Jerzey View Post
      What kinda of question is that ?? I take it your new to VW.
      Do some research. .
      In this economy the 2.0. Way better gas mileage

F*$K You Pay Me
      30k a year, that's funny yo.

Vehicles
      06 cummins & 04 r32
      10-07-2012 04:48 PM #47
      30k a year in central nj you should be buying a 95 honda; a 20th gti at the very best. no offense but 30k a year isnt a lot by any means, especially in central nj. just trying to be real with you man so please dont take offense to it.
      FlossFilthy

13. Member
      Vehicles
      Blue Car
      10-07-2012 05:56 PM #48
      pretty sure the op was saying he drives 30k miles per year, not his salary is 30k per year
      DBP .:R

Vehicles
      Golf R
      10-07-2012 06:23 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by rajuncajun37 View Post
      I guess you could build the new GOLF R into a track star but who wants to drop $35,000 then another $5,000 in mods just to keep up with an 8 year old high mileage golf.
      You can trade the R32 in and not pay $35,000.

Got mine at an expensive price of $34K, for a base 4 door, should have paid less, but it was
      an impulse buy for the wife, and I knew getting it at invoice would be a decent deal at the min.

But, your $5000 in mod's estimate, that is if you just want to throw money away.

~$1500 can get you stage 2+, which is like 356hp on a good day. Tell me, how can an NA R32
      keep up with that? All you guys know I love the MK4 R32, so there is no bias here.

Vehicles
      06 cummins & 04 r32
      10-07-2012 07:32 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by onedubdub View Post
      pretty sure the op was saying he drives 30k miles per year, not his salary is 30k per year
      oops
      FlossFilthy

16. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      10-07-2012 09:46 PM #51
      30k a year and you want a thirsty vr6?

get a TDI.
      welcome to the layer cake

17. 10-08-2012 12:15 PM #52
      Either 30k miles. Or 30k salary still not the right car.
      He needs a Tdi or something other than VW. We all know VW ain't the perfect commuter car. Most of us who have a R drive on weekends or atleast. I have a prelude for my daily.

F*$K You Pay Me

18. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Rabbit
      10-08-2012 09:34 PM #53
      Either 30k miles. Or 30k salary still not the right car.
      He needs a Tdi or something other than VW. We all know VW ain't the perfect commuter car. Most of us who have a R drive on weekends or atleast. I have a prelude for my daily.

F*$K You Pay Me
      My tuned NC2 is not the perfect commuter car, but IMHO, the Rs and GTIs certainly are, Driving the TDi buggy manual tomorrow.

19. Junior Member execchef337.1's Avatar
      Vehicles
      mk4 R32 DBP, Chrysler Neon beater
      10-09-2012 02:11 AM #54
      Owned a 337 for 4 years and loved the pull of a tuned turbocharged engine,albeit a much lighter car than the .:R. But the fun factor and looks that you get driving this beast outweighs any 4banger turbo VW out there.(IMO) The sound, feel, seats, hell I dont even turn the radio on any more!! But the economy of a gti is one thing that comes in as an advantage. Weigh out your options,but if ya wanna wake up n the morning,and hear one of the sweetest engines come to life,the answer is pretty clear!! Damn,I cant wait to go to work tomorrow,pop off ESP and let her rip through the mountains!!! Mmmmmmm!!

20. 10-09-2012 04:18 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      30k a year and you want a thirsty vr6?

get a TDI.
      This.
      My R is fun, but I hate daily driving it. I know how expensive maintenance is on it, and I hate beating it over the [poop] roads here. I never would have bought this car for a daily, and I didn't. But someone stole the daily, so here I am.

I know not everyone is in a position to get two cars (my old DD was already paid off beforehand), but if you want an R wait until you have a daily. Getting to your job IMO is priority. MkIV TDI I would say should be your first stop. Hell, you could get one of the Golf TDIs and build it out aesthetically like an R; full interior/exterior swap.

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 04:31 AM #56
      I daily my R and love it. I drive it to school, to get food, take the girlfriend out, go on spirited drives, blah blah blah.

22. 10-09-2012 12:16 PM #57
      Who daily drives those R that's f****n retarded. Just buy. Cheap civic or corolla. Why run up the miles on your R and then now you got more maintenance to deal with + R's. Are gas guzzlers

F*$K You Pay Me

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 12:24 PM #58
      Who daily drives those R that's f****n retarded. Just buy. Cheap civic or corolla. Why run up the miles on your R and then now you got more maintenance to deal with + R's. Are gas guzzlers

F*$K You Pay Me
      Umm because I bought it to enjoy driving it, not looking at it sit in my garage. The point of a car is to drive it and enjoy it. If you can only afford to buy the car, but not drive it....you bought the wrong car.

Vehicles
      MkIV .:R32
      10-09-2012 01:39 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by EIPtuningR32 View Post
      Umm because I bought it to enjoy driving it, not looking at it sit in my garage. The point of a car is to drive it and enjoy it. If you can only afford to buy the car, but not drive it....you bought the wrong car.
      this i daily drive mine 70 miles per day for work and i love every second of it although sometimes i do feel bad for puttin so many miles on her

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 01:40 PM #60

F*$K You Pay Me
      Your retared for that statment.
      "A genius is not measured by what he knows, but with what he can figure out with what he already knows."
      Also, remember that you can throw the whole parts bin at the car, you can even pick and choose, but the best modification is to tighten the loose nut behind the wheel.

26. 10-18-2012 10:45 AM #61
      Your ****in retarded. I'm just saying. If you gonna buy a R its best that its not your only car.
      And u just agreeing with everyone eles.

F*$K You Pay Me

27. 10-18-2012 10:50 AM #62
      Plus he said he drives 30k a year. So in 3 years that's 90k. So in his case it would be best to run the miles up on a different car. So read before you try to insult someone

F*$K You Pay Me

Vehicles
      BMP .:R32 Supercharged , '13 CC (POS)
      10-18-2012 01:40 PM #63
      I have put 96k miles on my R32 since DEC of 2008. I have been on 3 deployments. 1 for 12 months with the army and 2 6 month deployments with my civilian compnay during this time frame.

My fist year i put on 29k miles with s 35k a year job. coasting in neutral helped down larg hills. On a more serious note... i spend a good deal on fuel, but its not a bad thing. if u can afford it.

I actually traded my 2006 ( MK5 ) GTI for the MK4 ( 2004 ) R32. Do i regret my decision, when i ran into a lot of problems, yes, right now, NO.

The GTI was better in a lot of ways.

better fuel mileage, Newer interior, had HIDs, boost felt nice. I had it since 30k miles.

The R32, had AWD as i lived in CT, it was awesome. It was clean, had it since 64k miles. was a 6cyl and sounded good. plus heated seats

The GTI, was better in its own way, imo. But the R32 was better in ITS own way.

Bottom line upfront, I cant tell you what you should do. make your own assesemen, balance ur financials, dont hope u wont have issues and blow 10k on it in repairs. Dont FI your car with a 30k dollar a year job.

29. 10-23-2012 10:58 PM #64
      1 of 5,000? em try 1 of 2-3,000 cus most r destroyed or salvaged.

Vehicles
      10-23-2012 11:17 PM #65
      Plus he said he drives 30k a year. So in 3 years that's 90k. So in his case it would be best to run the miles up on a different car. So read before you try to insult someone

F*$K You Pay Me
      your still retarded.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12