Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Forum has been reinvigorated

Vehicles
      Member of Le Club 2P: 2005 Coucou Grey W12 5-seater & 2005 Klavierlack Black W12 4-seater Phaetons
      10-02-2012 06:50 PM #1
      I already chimed in on thanking Michael (Paneuropean) for all the work he has been doing on rehosting photos.

What I have not seen mentioned is how Michael's presence has reinvigorated the forum. It had gotten rather dull over the time of his absence. Now, however, it has taken off again. Not only do we get the sage advice we have become used to, rehosting the photos has brought many old threads to the forefront. Some of these I have not seen before; others are old friends that I recall but still enjoy rereading.

I also note other forum members posting on these older threads.

The forum has become much more interesting and again adds a little ray of sunshine to my day.

Michael, you are much appreciated!

Victor

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 4.2L Phaeton
      10-02-2012 08:03 PM #2
      I second that emotion.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      10-02-2012 10:26 PM #3
      Hi Victor:

Thanks for your kind comments.

I have a couple of weeks of "quiet time" before things get busy at my workplace again. I'll probably be at home until about October 25th - then, I have to deliver an aircraft to Indonesia.

This year has been extraordinarily busy for me... for example, I was only in Canada (my home country) for 8 days during the first 6 months of this year. That is why I was not active in the forum earlier this year.

I got out of Papua New Guinea at the end of last week - below is a photo I took when I was training pilots there. The aircraft is a DHC-6 Twin Otter. I flew that particular one from Victoria BC to PNG, by way of Alaska, the Bering Strait, Anadyr, Magadan, Vladivostok, the two Koreas, Taiwan, Philippines, Darwin, Cairns, and then finally Port Moresby. It was almost a re-run of "around the world in 80 days".

I dropped my Phaeton off at the VW dealer about a month ago to have a whole bunch of little things fixed up - they are still waiting for a few parts, I think I will get the car back towards the end of October.

The great irony of it all is that I am hardly using the car now. My 'mileage log' for 2012 is as follows:

Miles flown delivering planes - about 80,000
      Miles flown as a passenger with the airlines - 110,000
      Miles driven in my Phaeton - 215.

Michael

My 'daily driver'
      Please don't send me technical questions via IM - instead, post your questions onto the end of the most appropriate thread in the FAQ, so that everyone can benefit from the answer, and everyone can assist in providing the answer. Thanks, Michael

Vehicles
      Member of Le Club 2P: 2005 Coucou Grey W12 5-seater & 2005 Klavierlack Black W12 4-seater Phaetons
      10-03-2012 07:57 AM #4
      Impressive.

That's some picture!

Maybe you should change your user name from "PanEuropean" to "PanTerran".

Victor

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW Phaeton 6.0 W12
      10-03-2012 09:50 AM #5
      Are the seats on that airplane as comfortable as the Phaeton ones? Massage options? Guess not!

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006/VW/Phaeton W12
      10-03-2012 01:14 PM #6
      indeed thanks for the reuploads! Im reading through old threads as you update them!

7. 10-03-2012 05:09 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Victor R View Post
      I already chimed in on thanking Michael (Paneuropean) for all the work he has been doing on rehosting photos.

What I have not seen mentioned is how Michael's presence has reinvigorated the forum. It had gotten rather dull over the time of his absence. Now, however, it has taken off again. Not only do we get the sage advice we have become used to, rehosting the photos has brought many old threads to the forefront. Some of these I have not seen before; others are old friends that I recall but still enjoy rereading.

I also note other forum members posting on these older threads.

The forum has become much more interesting and again adds a little ray of sunshine to my day.

Michael, you are much appreciated!

Victor
      Agreed, thanks from a noob.

Vehicles
      93 ES300, 97 J30, 01 TT quattro roadster, 04 W12
      10-11-2012 05:20 PM #8
      I, too, want to thank you, Michael. Having been a Moderator on another automotive site, I might have a greater appreciation for how much you do, and how much work it is, than the usual users do.

Your dedication in re-hosting the photographs and diagrams is of a value which cannot be over-emphasized.

--Guy.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      3x2005 V8 Phaetons, 1x4, 2x5, Paddles, Keyless Start, Wooden steering, Bentley 19", Euro mods
      10-12-2012 10:01 AM #9
      G'day Michael

I grew up in Papua new Guinea and helped my Dad build some airstrips there. Quite a few friends still there if you want any contacts. My brother is usually there also.

There is a reasonable chance Dad built the airstrip you showed. Which one was it? It doesn't look familiar to me so I don't think I helped him build that one.

Where are you off to in Indonesia? If it is in Papua, or what we called West Irian, later changed to Irian Jaya, I can put you in touch with friends. If it is in Sentani, give Tim Ruth a hoy at the Yajasi hangar if he isn't out flying. Really good bloke.

Long after I left PNG, GPS made flying a lot easier in that country with min navaids. In the 60s, there were many attempts to find downed aircraft and about half were unsuccessful. It was a very common part of listening to short wave radio.

There are 860 languages on our half of the island which accounts in part for the terrain you see...perhaps the converse would state it better.
      Steve
      Philadelphia

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      10-14-2012 06:08 AM #10
      Thanks to all of you for your kind comments about the photo re-hosting.

I have now finished reviewing all of the threads that are listed in the Phaeton Forum 'Table of Contents' (FAQ by Category) and re-hosting the photos on all of them.

I'm sure that there are many more discussions with missing photos - if you come across one and see photos missing from posts that I have made, please bump the discussion up to the top of page 1 by adding a request for photo re-hosting to it. I'll try to get it done when time permits. I will be out of the country for most of the remainder of 2012 (primarily in Indonesia), so I might not get it done quickly, but I will get it done eventually.

Steve - I don't know what the name of that airstrip is. I visited about 4 different airstrips in rural PNG, each one more terrifying (to me, at least) than the one before. I was introducing a very experienced PNG-based pilot to the new Series 400 Twin Otter - he picked the airstrips.

Below is a picture of the same strip as in the picture above, but taken just after turning final. Once you turn final here, you are committed to land, there is no possibility of an overshoot... it's one way in, and one way out, with terrain rising to 3,000 feet above airfield elevation on both sides (as well as forward) within a 1 mile radius of the airstrip. Perhaps this photo might help you identify the place.

Not much internet service there (I couldn't find the Starbucks), which is why I had to wait until I got back to Canada to re-host the forum photos.

Michael

Remote Airstrip - PNG

Below is a photo taken on the downwind leg to the airstrip shown above. The asterisk shows the position of the aircraft when I took the above photo, and the arrow shows the point of view of the photo above.

Downwind Leg to the Above Airstrip
      Last edited by PanEuropean; 10-14-2012 at 06:14 AM.
      Please don't send me technical questions via IM - instead, post your questions onto the end of the most appropriate thread in the FAQ, so that everyone can benefit from the answer, and everyone can assist in providing the answer. Thanks, Michael

Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V10 swb 4-seat, Jeep Commander Hemi, Ssangyong Korando
      10-14-2012 06:32 AM #11
      Gasp...

You're not offering to do the touch and goes for the ILS calibration then?

CB

Vehicles
      Black 2006 Phaeton V10 TDi, Black 2005 V10 TDi LWB, Laser Blue Golf 2.0 GT TDi
      10-14-2012 07:32 AM #12
      [QUOTE=PanEuropean;79202646]Hi Victor:

Miles flown delivering planes - about 80,000
      Miles flown as a passenger with the airlines - 110,000
      Miles driven in my Phaeton - 215.

Michael

So, Michael, you bought your Phaeton with "air miles" loyalty points

X2 for all the hard work keeping this going!

Stu
      Member of Le Club 2P

Vehicles
      2008 3.0TDI Phaeton; 2009 1.4 Tiguan; 2005 V10 Phaeton; 1992 Golf Mk 2 Driver 1.8
      10-14-2012 07:40 AM #13
      Michael - thanks again for flogging through all the photos. I particularly appreciate the shots of various colours and interiors. They are probably one of the key things that got me on the slippery path of Phaeton ownership... so very pleased to see them again!

Thanks

M
      Member of Le Club 2P

Vehicles
      '04 V8 Phaeton, '09 Jetta TDI, '08 VW EOS, '84 Porsche 911 Targa, '14 Durango(yeah it's got a Hemi)!
      10-14-2012 07:27 PM #14
      Awesome picture of the airfield Michael!

I thought Telluride was tough! Ha, there IS a Starbucks there too!

Thanks for re-hosting all the photos and all the best for the rest of the year for safe travels!

I'll be in Sydney in early November if you need anything dropped off!
      John
      Vag-Com available Philly to Washington, DC
      VAS 6262 DSG Oil Change Tool for DSG equipped VW Products available also.

Vehicles
      Phaeton 3.0 TDI V6 2007 tuned 280HP, Kawasaki ZZR-1100, Honda C50, Segway i2, Honda Lead 100
      10-14-2012 08:11 PM #15
      Hi Michael, omg, referring the direction of that airstrip, what is here the missed approach procedure even while your climb rate is fairely high on a two engine aircraft?? Just curious.

Cheers, Wouter

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      10-14-2012 08:35 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by wouterjansen60 View Post
      ...what is here the missed approach procedure even while your climb rate is fairely high on a two engine aircraft??
      Hi Wouter:

The moment you turn final, you have to make a decision: Either you are 100% committed to landing, with no possibility of an overshoot if you continue further on final, or; the moment you turn final, if you don't like the way you are positioned (too high, too low, or laterally displaced), you must continue to turn to the right without delay until you are pointing in the opposite direction to the runway (this implies a 270° turn from the base leg, or a 180° turn from final) and you climb away at best angle of climb.

This kind of situation - where you are forced to make your 'go or no-go' landing decision at the moment you turn final - presents itself sometimes in mountain operations. Providing that the weather is benign (no strong and gusty winds, and no cloud below you when you turn final), it's not a problem. But it is a bit stressful when you don't do this kind of work every day.

Michael