Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2.0T ABA Timing?

Vehicles
      83' Jetta Coupe, 97' Jetta
      10-02-2012 08:16 PM #1
      Well, i have a 2.0t aba and I have been told that turbo'd engines need different timing.

I have been told that the timing needs to be advanced so the chamber pressures stay below the level that causes unburned fuel to ignite ahead of the flame front, if this is correct how many degrees advance timing would be good for this setup?

I have set my timing to stock thanks to my haynes manuel but i would like to know if this is true help!

I have little experience with cars so far and your input would help!

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      10-02-2012 11:02 PM #2
      Generally a FI motor will take less timing (meaning retard, not advance) to stay out of detonation. And what management system are you running this motor on, cause you cannot adjust timing and the stock management for the ABA?
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

FS:MkI low back front seat upholstery(new)

3. Member
      Vehicles
      86 Gti
      10-03-2012 12:04 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by VDUBZ-83' View Post
      Well, i have a 2.0t aba and I have been told that turbo'd engines need different timing.

I have been told that the timing needs to be advanced so the chamber pressures stay below the level that causes unburned fuel to ignite ahead of the flame front, if this is correct how many degrees advance timing would be good for this setup?

I have set my timing to stock thanks to my haynes manuel but i would like to know if this is true help!

I have little experience with cars so far and your input would help!
      Different Ignition Timing not Mechanical timing.
      Certified EFI Tuner. ASE Certified Technician.
      Karl Performance
      AWD Dyno

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      10-05-2012 08:52 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by VDUBZ-83' View Post
      Throw that Haynes manual in the trash. Or better yet, use it for kindling.

ABA ignition timing is set by the ECU and is not adjustable. This isn't a 1968 Impala, turning the distributor won't do anything. Your software should be programmed for optimal timing given your modifications, and you shouldn't have to worry about it. Questions of this nature should be directed to your tuner, as he's the only one that can adjust this for you.
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      1993 Jeep ZJ 4.0

World Automotive
      Need any VCDS (VAG-COM) diagnostics or coding in the North NJ area? PM me.