Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 8v PCV Breather Filter?

Vehicles
      98 gti Vr6, 97 gti 2.0l
      10-02-2012 08:26 PM #1
      howdy 2.slow forum..

So I recently decided to put a filter on the end of my pcv valve, because I was tired of cleaning my inake manifold and throttle body all the time. also, removing the blow-back air hose from the pcvv to the rubber intake boot made the incoming air more dense...in stoner theory.. plus, it looks pretty darn cool.. anyway, in order to do this i had to first plug up the intake boot's female peice. basicly what im wondering is will this help improve my car or not lol? i used heater hose to connect the pcvv and the filter, and used a pvc plug to plug up my intake boot.

heres a picture of it before i re-ajusted my pcv valve;
      photo1_zps4966a291

this stuck me an inefficent because my ccv hose was bent a little (red), my heater hose was really stretched to fit the pcvv (orange), and my intake boot was bent cause I had to bend my female peice down with the pvc plug in it.(green)
      photo2_zps1cab6911

So after i ajusted my pcv valve back closer to its origonal position, the filter was pressed hard against the rubber intake boot, and is now higher up closer to the hood;
      Photobucket

Im in need of help, because i dont know if that little bend in the ccv hose is bad because it limmits airflow (red), and i dont know if my fiter is too high and being crushed when the hood is closed. also, the filter emits hot, basicly exaust fumes, so is this bad to have so close to my cold air intake? and is the bend in the intake boot effecting my air presure? ahh so many questions i need a help and a xanax...

Im also wondering if its a good idea to just get rid of the stock rubber intake boot and replace it with a metal pipe?

thanks! heres on more picture cause im allways picture happy...

Photobucket

p.s. help me out and il getcha a
      ........ \______
      ......../__|_ \___
      ........\'o)i___l_(o)_;

2. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      10-02-2012 10:54 PM #2
      shouldnt have to clean your intake manifold if your PCV system is working correctly..

you probably have to clean your intake frequently because of that CRAPPY air filter you have on there..

Vehicles
      98 gti Vr6, 97 gti 2.0l
      10-02-2012 11:42 PM #3
      my pvc isnt working properly, I found milky orange oil in my rubber intake boot. But your right its crap, i dont have sheit for a budget when it come to my car, im just a broke college student man...
      ........ \______
      ......../__|_ \___
      ........\'o)i___l_(o)_;

4. Junior Member
      10-03-2012 10:57 AM #4
      2nd that PCV can get your intake boot/throttle body very dirty...

I'm venting my pcv to atmosphere as well; and have seen a HUGE improvement in how clean my TB stays; due to this, acceleration and throttle response have been hugely improved...

I run a straight road tube on my PCV; I blocked off the Y-valve your filter is coming off of completely, and am routing my tube off of the actual pcv valve in the block. I run my tube at a downward angle toward the drivers side of the car; my tube is pointing downard at the same area as the bell housing.

System seems to work well, despite being ghetto. I built the whole system with plumbing parts I picked up at my ocal menards...I believe I used a 1/4'' to 1/2'' OD adapter piece from the sprinkler systems isle, a rubber coupling piece, and a 2' piece of dryer flex-tube. Works for me

If you want my input on your specific setup, I'm sure it will work fine. Having the oil flowing upwards, though, with no vacuum pressure from the intake boot anymore to assist in boosting it, though, always bothered me; which is why I went with the setup I did. Aside from that, I can't imagine there being any problems with it.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      10-03-2012 01:16 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by fwdisbestwd View Post
      2nd that PCV can get your intake boot/throttle body very dirty...

I'm venting my pcv to atmosphere as well; and have seen a HUGE improvement in how clean my TB stays; due to this, acceleration and throttle response have been hugely improved...

I run a straight road tube on my PCV; I blocked off the Y-valve your filter is coming off of completely, and am routing my tube off of the actual pcv valve in the block. I run my tube at a downward angle toward the drivers side of the car; my tube is pointing downard at the same area as the bell housing.

System seems to work well, despite being ghetto. I built the whole system with plumbing parts I picked up at my ocal menards...I believe I used a 1/4'' to 1/2'' OD adapter piece from the sprinkler systems isle, a rubber coupling piece, and a 2' piece of dryer flex-tube. Works for me

If you want my input on your specific setup, I'm sure it will work fine. Having the oil flowing upwards, though, with no vacuum pressure from the intake boot anymore to assist in boosting it, though, always bothered me; which is why I went with the setup I did. Aside from that, I can't imagine there being any problems with it.
      except for the fact that now your breather is constantly leaking oil out of it..

your car will ALWAYS mark its territory if you have a road draft tube, unless you catch can it as well..

ask me how i know?

ive got a slightly different intake system tho.. my engine is a diesel, and ive got a decently large turbo on it that is rather new, and i would rather keep it clean.

all my gassers, have PCV systems that vent to the intake..