VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Should the Opel Adam be offered in the U.S. as a Buick?

37K views 125 replies 68 participants last post by  invisiblewar 
#1 · (Edited)
http://blogs.motortrend.com/could-upcoming-opel-adam-become-a-buick-24641.html

Given that Opel and Buick are now connected at the hip, could the Adam become a Buick? Buick already is driving down the average age of its buyers with current models and that should continue next year with the launch Encore crossover. After the engine/transmission upgrades, the Adam car could be the fashion statement Buick needs, but Opel will build the Adam only in Germany. Production would have to move to a more cost-effective assembly plant to make a Buick version profitable.

See less See more
#56 ·
:laugh: :laugh:

The only Buick I could see such blatant hipsters driving would be this one (name that video):

Except hipsters possess no mechanical abilities; only inane knowledge, quasi-artistic talent, and barista skills. so they would not drive any Buick.

#62 ·
I'd rather drop you on your head, but gauging by some of your brilliant contributions to this forum, I'm guessing that already happened many years ago.

Buick is doing great these days. GM would be stupid to dump them in favor a brand that means absolutely nothing to most Americans.

#64 ·
Im sure that, even if it were manufactured in Germany, Buick can do good for its self by importing them in small numbers. Get people into the brand, and they'll "move up" to other models.

I for one like the Adam, but I like all miniature hatchbacks.

#67 ·
Am I the only one who thinks that ,with those devilish looking eyes and thin, upturned chrome grille mustache, it look like it wants to tie a young girl to some railroad tracks or trick her into marrying it for her inheritance? I do like it though. It's a neat looking little car.

#71 ·
Hell no the interior for one will need a massive update to be a Buick. There is nothing "premium" about the Spark looking touchscreen or climate knobs.

As a Chevy yes. The front face looks like it could easily be sculpted to support the gold badge. But with the Spark already here I'd say this will remain another grass is always greener car.

#91 ·
Funny you should harp on the touchscreen since that's arguably the single most high-end looking part of the Spark interior. And the climate controls looks quite different. For something that competes with the Fiat 500, it looks much nicer inside IMO. The Fiat doesn't even offer an in-dash color screen infotainment/NAV system.

Honestly, what's so low-end looking about this color display? The resolution looks quite high. It's large and uses bright graphics/legible fonts. I quite like it. *shrug*

#97 ·
Nothing new. They did small for over 20 years alongside their bigger offerings.
The problem is that almost nobody remembers those. Old people can't recall them, mostly because they sold in very small numbers compared to their domestic products, and young people only remember Buicks built for grandpa, so they have no idea what these little euro Buicks are.

Buick needs to stop worrying about a younger demographic, and go for what works. Old people need cars, too. They should focus on soil-resistant seats, easy-to-use controls with large labels and displays, and safety equipment to keep them from backing over a kid on a bicycle.

#103 ·
Which is precisely why they should stick with what works. Let Chevy make cars for young people. And give old people the cars they want with a Buick logo on them. It will make it much easier to pick out a car when you're 72 years old, when you know that a Buick is going to suit your needs.
This discussion cannot proceed because you do not understand that people age.

#96 ·
The rendering above is wrong with the grill placement. If it was to come over the grill would need to start at the leading edge of the hood line and extend partially down into the mid of the bumper and end there.

Selling Buicks in a metro area, I like the idea, but it would not sell. However, I like what someone said about being proactive and not reactive. I say just do it and see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.