Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should the Opel Adam be offered in the U.S. as a Buick?

Vehicles
      Facehugger twofitty
      10-03-2012 05:59 PM #71
      Hell no the interior for one will need a massive update to be a Buick. There is nothing "premium" about the Spark looking touchscreen or climate knobs.

As a Chevy yes. The front face looks like it could easily be sculpted to support the gold badge. But with the Spark already here I'd say this will remain another grass is always greener car.
      Past rides:
      Volkswagen GTI
      Honda CR-Z
      Honda Civic Coupe
      Your mom's Ford Windstar

Vehicles
      2008 Jetta
      10-03-2012 06:01 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by jwaters943 View Post
      I'd rather drop you on your head, but gauging by some of your brilliant contributions to this forum, I'm guessing that already happened many years ago.

Buick is doing great these days. GM would be stupid to dump them in favor a brand that means absolutely nothing to most Americans.
      Buick is doing great selling half their cars to discount/enterprise and the other half to 70 year olds.. Bring over the Adam and you might get the younger crowd in Buick showrooms. Nobody in their 20's or 30's would consider a Buick, no matter how good they've become.

Just looked at how well the Amazing "German engineered" Regal is selling.

3. Senior Member justanotherusername's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      10-03-2012 06:01 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      Would have been a better Saturn. Pontiac was trying to get back to performance-based image, before the plug got pulled. The Adam would not have fit that too well.
      I was going to mention Saturn, but I thought bringing up one dead GM brand was probably enough for one post.

Pontiac was trying to create an enthusiast based image. I think a hot version of this would have fit Ok with that, but it would have worked as a Saturn too.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      10-03-2012 06:03 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Neat looking car. But bring it over as a buick? No way. Chevy already has a couple of small cars. I don't see how a pseudo-upscale 2-dr hatchback will help GM or Buick. The styling of the car seems a bit too youthful and exciting for buick anyway.
      I would like to see Buick and Opel merge styling cues, or develop a common design language. The formal waterfall grille could remain for "flagship" models like the LaCrosse and Enclave, but anything smaller should get more youthful styling.

10-03-2012 06:03 PM #75
      Hipsters+Buick dealerships=does not compute.

Vehicles
      2013 Subaru WRX, 2010 Nissan Sentra aka THE M3 DESTROYER
      10-03-2012 06:08 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
      Just hip young people, doing hip young people stuff with their Opel Adam! Watch out, or some fresh hip hop might happen at any minute with this crowd.
      - mikey

"It's not a real build until there's Plasti Dip involved."

7. Senior Member justanotherusername's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      10-03-2012 06:09 PM #77
      I would like to see Buick and Opel merge styling cues, or develop a common design language. The formal waterfall grille could remain for "flagship" models like the LaCrosse and Enclave, but anything smaller should get more youthful styling.
      GM has spent MILLIONS of $$$ over the years giving Buick the "sensible luxury" imiage for people who want a nice car that doesn't scream "I paid a lot for this!"

The reality is it will take years and a small fortune to change that, and that's assuming there's any reason to. There's abslutely nothing wrong with leaving Buick's marketing basically unchanged, and just broadening it a little. Trying to go from branding to sell to 65+ year olds to 20 somethings just doesn't make good sense. There's just no way to market a brand effectivly to both crowds. You almost always have to turn off one to sell to the other.

Vehicles
      2013 Subaru WRX, 2010 Nissan Sentra aka THE M3 DESTROYER
      10-03-2012 06:10 PM #78
      Where is the guy with the surf board going? Gonna do some sand surfing! But first, I'm going to sit on the ground and listen to music in my headphones.
      - mikey

"It's not a real build until there's Plasti Dip involved."

10-03-2012 07:32 PM #79
      Even though Buick is a luxury brand, I really love the Buick stuff on the first picture in the OP.

10-03-2012 07:36 PM #80
      Another version I found. I like the other one better.

11. 10-03-2012 07:39 PM #81
      That would be an absolutely horrible idea to rebadge that and try to sell it as a Buick.

But, selling it as the Opel Adam inside of Buick dealers as a 1 model line (like Fiat) might work.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      10-03-2012 09:12 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by justanotherusername View Post
      GM has spent MILLIONS of $$$ over the years giving Buick the "sensible luxury" imiage for people who want a nice car that doesn't scream "I paid a lot for this!"

The reality is it will take years and a small fortune to change that, and that's assuming there's any reason to. There's abslutely nothing wrong with leaving Buick's marketing basically unchanged, and just broadening it a little. Trying to go from branding to sell to 65+ year olds to 20 somethings just doesn't make good sense. There's just no way to market a brand effectivly to both crowds. You almost always have to turn off one to sell to the other.
      I imagine that Acura, Lexus, Audi, and BMW have been pretty successful in selling cars to at least 30 year olds and 65 year olds. I'm sure there is a middle ground between Opel and Buick that would appeal to both.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      10-03-2012 10:10 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by 1985Jetta View Post
      Another version I found. I like the other one better.
      The Buick grille is god awful, and that would be one of the worst modern day offenders yet.

Replace the Opel badge with a Buick badge and call it a day.

Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      10-04-2012 05:42 AM #84
      I imagine that Acura, Lexus, Audi, and BMW have been pretty successful in selling cars to at least 30 year olds and 65 year olds. I'm sure there is a middle ground between Opel and Buick that would appeal to both.
      Young people like a3's and a4's. Older folk buy a8's. (Their also the few who can afford it)
      Maybe they can successfully sell and market the Adam, but they can also market their "bigger" offerings to more "traditional" buyers. Whats wrong with this? In Canada you can buy a B class at a Mercedes dealer. You can also pay well over 6 figures for an S class!
      Z is pronounced ZED

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      10-04-2012 07:43 AM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by vrsexxy_GTI View Post
      Buick is doing great selling half their cars to discount/enterprise and the other half to 70 year olds.. Bring over the Adam and you might get the younger crowd in Buick showrooms. Nobody in their 20's or 30's would consider a Buick, no matter how good they've become.

Look at the monthly sales threads around here. Buick's average of about 14K units per month places it about 3rd or 4th in total premiums segment sales. Buick routinely outsells Cadillac, Audi, Acura, Volvo, etc....

The Regal's sales took a direct hit from the Verano, which is selling EXTREMELY well. The other Buicks, LaCrosse and Enclave are also moving in large numbers.

GM and Buick's fleet sales overall are down, so they aren't dumping half their cars into fleets. If you proof otherwise, please post articles or links.

People in their twenties overall are not buying enough new cars that any car manufacturer should be chasing them. The average age of a new car buyer in the US hovers in the mid to high forties. While getting new blood into showrooms is important, no luxury or premium brand is building a business case on selling cars to 14-24 year olds.

Vehicles
      Protegé
      10-04-2012 07:46 AM #86
      I don't think it would sell well, but I would certainly like seeing this and the Astra for sale in North America.

Do it

Vehicles
      2008 M3 Coupe, 1973 Type 3 Squareback
      10-04-2012 08:05 AM #87
      This new ad really speaks to me.

my **** straight be snatchin off the line like "crunch" when i brake boost.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      10-04-2012 08:38 AM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by Dommer View Post
      This new ad really speaks to me.
      Much improved, but it needs more Saturnlady, Outgirl, baboon penis, and maybe a porta potty.

Vehicles
      Facehugger twofitty
      10-04-2012 08:52 AM #89

Funny because I was just at MCO walking through the multi-floor rental garage and not a single Buick I can recall other than the Enclave. "Premium" cars I notice are usually a leather optioned Taurus or Charger.
      Past rides:
      Volkswagen GTI
      Honda CR-Z
      Honda Civic Coupe
      Your mom's Ford Windstar

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      10-04-2012 11:45 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by justanotherusername View Post

Remember 20-30 year olds are a pretty small segment of the premium market - they don't have any money.

It's us 40-60 year olds that do and for every 40 YO they can get, it offsets a 70 YO.

Vehicles
      Official Member of the Masochistic Black Car Owners Club
      10-04-2012 12:35 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Hell no the interior for one will need a massive update to be a Buick. There is nothing "premium" about the Spark looking touchscreen or climate knobs.

As a Chevy yes. The front face looks like it could easily be sculpted to support the gold badge. But with the Spark already here I'd say this will remain another grass is always greener car.
      Funny you should harp on the touchscreen since that's arguably the single most high-end looking part of the Spark interior. And the climate controls looks quite different. For something that competes with the Fiat 500, it looks much nicer inside IMO. The Fiat doesn't even offer an in-dash color screen infotainment/NAV system.

Honestly, what's so low-end looking about this color display? The resolution looks quite high. It's large and uses bright graphics/legible fonts. I quite like it. *shrug*

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      10-04-2012 12:38 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Funny because I was just at MCO walking through the multi-floor rental garage and not a single Buick I can recall other than the Enclave. "Premium" cars I notice are usually a leather optioned Taurus or Charger.
      It's Florida. They were all rented out to their target audience.

Vehicles
      Mothers. It's not just a wax anymore.
      10-04-2012 01:47 PM #93
      Are you kidding me? This would make a great Buick. Buick's geriatric demographic likes big cars, but they also like small cars. Lots of very old people drive Scions and MINIs. Grandma only needs a car to go to the grocery store and the post office. This would do just fine.

24. 10-04-2012 01:59 PM #94
      I think it would work best as a Hybrid for Buick when going for the most fuel efficient vehicle in their range.

Americans believe small cars are so supposed to be fuel efficient.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Volt, 2011 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      10-04-2012 02:00 PM #95
      Imma just keep posting these...

Nothing new. They did small for over 20 years alongside their bigger offerings.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      96' Caprice
      10-04-2012 02:06 PM #96
      The rendering above is wrong with the grill placement. If it was to come over the grill would need to start at the leading edge of the hood line and extend partially down into the mid of the bumper and end there.

Selling Buicks in a metro area, I like the idea, but it would not sell. However, I like what someone said about being proactive and not reactive. I say just do it and see what happens.
      < Dan >

1996 Caprice - Ugly and Nasty

"Vortex Minecraft Server" - Handle "Duallie"

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 02:15 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post

Nothing new. They did small for over 20 years alongside their bigger offerings.
      The problem is that almost nobody remembers those. Old people can't recall them, mostly because they sold in very small numbers compared to their domestic products, and young people only remember Buicks built for grandpa, so they have no idea what these little euro Buicks are.

Buick needs to stop worrying about a younger demographic, and go for what works. Old people need cars, too. They should focus on soil-resistant seats, easy-to-use controls with large labels and displays, and safety equipment to keep them from backing over a kid on a bicycle.

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline
      10-04-2012 02:23 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by ROCK AND ROLL CHEVY View Post
      Buick needs to stop worrying about a younger demographic, and go for what works. Old people need cars, too. They should focus on soil-resistant seats, easy-to-use controls with large labels and displays, and safety equipment to keep them from backing over a kid on a bicycle.
      And what of when those people die?

FWIW my mother raves about her old Opel, as well as her Datsun and 34 Ford, that she learned to drive on (she's 70 btw) the ones who can remember, do.
      A2Resource

10-04-2012 02:28 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      And what of when those people die?

FWIW my mother raves about her old Opel, as well as her Datsun and 34 Ford, that she learned to drive on (she's 70 btw) the ones who can remember, do.
      There will always be old people, but I still think we should get this in the US.

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 02:29 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by 1985Jetta View Post
      There will always be old people, but I still think we should get this in the US.
      Yes, but when these old people are gone, the now-young-ish new old people will like something different. This is the problem Buick (and Cadillac, and Lincoln) had in the 80s and 90s, they rode the wave of comfy old people travel, then those poeple stopped driving/buying new cars, and no one wants the car their grandparents drove.
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 02:36 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      Yes, but when these old people are gone, the now-young-ish new old people will like something different. This is the problem Buick (and Cadillac, and Lincoln) had in the 80s and 90s, they rode the wave of comfy old people travel, then those poeple stopped driving/buying new cars, and no one wants the car their grandparents drove.
      Which is precisely why they should stick with what works. Let Chevy make cars for young people. And give old people the cars they want with a Buick logo on them. It will make it much easier to pick out a car when you're 72 years old, when you know that a Buick is going to suit your needs.

32. 10-04-2012 02:53 PM #102
      There are some terrible pretend business analysts in this thread.
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Makes me proud to be an American in some perverse way. **** your terrorist, I've a honey boo boo outside.

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 02:55 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by ROCK AND ROLL CHEVY View Post
      Which is precisely why they should stick with what works. Let Chevy make cars for young people. And give old people the cars they want with a Buick logo on them. It will make it much easier to pick out a car when you're 72 years old, when you know that a Buick is going to suit your needs.
      This discussion cannot proceed because you do not understand that people age.
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      '12 Challenger RT, '11 CX-7 s Touring
      10-04-2012 03:12 PM #104

ERMAHGERD! Er lurv Erpahl!
      I am JIMP.

Vehicles
      Facehugger twofitty
      10-04-2012 03:17 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by jwaters943 View Post
      Funny you should harp on the touchscreen since that's arguably the single most high-end looking part of the Spark interior. And the climate controls looks quite different. For something that competes with the Fiat 500, it looks much nicer inside IMO. The Fiat doesn't even offer an in-dash color screen infotainment/NAV system.

Honestly, what's so low-end looking about this color display? The resolution looks quite high. It's large and uses bright graphics/legible fonts. I quite like it. *shrug*

Honestly - because it is a touchscreen. Most luxury cars seem to be moving to track pads or wheels as means of navigating infotainment screens and while doing so they include heaps of soft touch plastic and stitched leather.

The Spark and Adam look cheap the same way an Android looks cheap. Sure I own one and sure it can cost as much as an iPhone but there is something more lowbrow about the Android compared to the iPhone and I see exactly the same thing with this car. Had I had no prior knowledge of this car and all you show me is the interior shot I would likely thing new cheap Hyunida because it looks simple and inexpensive yet laden with technology. No premium to be found.
      Past rides:
      Volkswagen GTI
      Honda CR-Z
      Honda Civic Coupe
      Your mom's Ford Windstar

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast