Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Should the Opel Adam be offered in the U.S. as a Buick?

Vehicles
      Official Member of the Masochistic Black Car Owners Club
      10-04-2012 04:24 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Honestly - because it is a touchscreen. Most luxury cars seem to be moving to track pads or wheels as means of navigating infotainment screens and while doing so they include heaps of soft touch plastic and stitched leather.

The Spark and Adam look cheap the same way an Android looks cheap. Sure I own one and sure it can cost as much as an iPhone but there is something more lowbrow about the Android compared to the iPhone and I see exactly the same thing with this car. Had I had no prior knowledge of this car and all you show me is the interior shot I would likely thing new cheap Hyunida because it looks simple and inexpensive yet laden with technology. No premium to be found.
      This isn't a luxury car, and Buick isn't really a luxury brand. It's always slotted above Chevrolet and below Cadillac as a "premium" brand. Nobody wants a $30k microcar, which is what it would be with more feature content, a first-rate i-drive/mmi type interface, and tons of stitched leather. And not all luxury cars have this type of interface anyway. The new Lincoln MKZ and ATS come to mind.

The interior *looks* better than the Fiat, Smart and even Mini. Me thinks you are expecting far too much from what is an entry level car w/ a vaguely premium (i.e. Euro) feel. To tart it up would be silly and akin to trying to make it something it is not. I personally find cars like the "Gucci" edition Fiat a joke, but that's just me.
      Last edited by BLK9GEN; 10-04-2012 at 04:32 PM.

10-04-2012 04:34 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by jwaters943 View Post
      The interior *looks* better than the Fiat, Smart and even Mini. Me thinks you are expecting far too much from what is an entry level car w/ a vaguely premium (i.e. Euro) feel. To tart it up would be silly and akin to trying to make it something it is not. I personally find cars like the "Gucci" edition Fiat a joke, but that's just me.
      I expect nothing of the Adam but I expect more from Buick. It shouldn't have a Fiat 500 competitor in the brand at least here in the US.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Vehicles
      '14 Toyota Prius Five + ATP
      10-04-2012 04:37 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by Wimbledon View Post
      Only if Buick's marketing company signs Milli Vanilli for the US campaigns as well.
      --Chris

Vehicles
      Mothers. It's not just a wax anymore.
      10-04-2012 04:39 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      This discussion cannot proceed because you do not understand that people age.
      Wrong. It's General Motors who doesn't understand its marketing. I'm a bit worried that maybe some of the people commenting in this thread work in their marketing department, from some of the terrible ideas I've read.

Vehicles
      Official Member of the Masochistic Black Car Owners Club
      10-04-2012 04:52 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by ROCK AND ROLL CHEVY View Post
      Wrong. It's General Motors who doesn't understand its marketing. I'm a bit worried that maybe some of the people commenting in this thread work in their marketing department, from some of the terrible ideas I've read.
      Who comes to a car enthusiast site expecting to hear sound marketing analysis?!

As a car guy who appreciates all types of cars from various brands and cares very little about badging, I don't care if they bring it here as a Daewoo. I'm not here to discuss the merits of selling it under the Buick nameplate because, wait for it.....I don't give a rats ass.

But please, by all means, continue to get your panties in a wad over nothing.

Vehicles
      Mothers. It's not just a wax anymore.
      10-04-2012 05:03 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by jwaters943 View Post
      Who comes to a car enthusiast site expecting to hear sound marketing analysis?!

As a car guy who appreciates all types of cars from various brands and cares very little about badging, I don't care if they bring it here as a Daewoo. I'm not here to discuss the merits of selling it under the Buick nameplate because, wait for it.....I don't give a rats ass.

But please, by all means, continue to get your panties in a wad over nothing.
      I don't wear panties. I only wear underwear with jeans, because I don't shave my pubes.

Vehicles
      '14 Toyota Prius Five + ATP
      10-04-2012 05:10 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by ROCK AND ROLL CHEVY View Post
      I don't wear panties. I only wear underwear with jeans, because I don't shave my pubes.
      QFT. And, quite possibly, signature material as well.
      --Chris

Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      10-04-2012 05:36 PM #113
      I expect nothing of the Adam but I expect more from Buick. It shouldn't have a Fiat 500 competitor in the brand at least here in the US.
      Au contraire, maybe this is their time to get into a new niche, and get new people in the brand. Dont sell the base model here, and market it more as a mini competitor.

I know it would sell well in Canada, the B class even sells well here! But were 1/10th of the market the US is... and ive only ever been to Vermont and New Hampshire so I have no idea how this would do over there... using the knowledge ive acquired from the internet... id say it has the potential to flop But then again doesnt the 500 sell well down there? (now). Id love to see this (and similar cars) succeed in North America, and personally, I think bringing it here as a Buick is a good idea.
      Full time manual transmission elitist
      Part time arm chair CEO

Vehicles
      B5 S4
      10-04-2012 06:11 PM #114
      as an Opel, I'd buy it. As a Buick...hell no

10-04-2012 06:12 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by MK5golf View Post
      Au contraire, maybe this is their time to get into a new niche, and get new people in the brand. Dont sell the base model here, and market it more as a mini competitor.

I know it would sell well in Canada, the B class even sells well here! But were 1/10th of the market the US is... and ive only ever been to Vermont and New Hampshire so I have no idea how this would do over there... using the knowledge ive acquired from the internet... id say it has the potential to flop But then again doesnt the 500 sell well down there? (now). Id love to see this (and similar cars) succeed in North America, and personally, I think bringing it here as a Buick is a good idea.
      If it comes as a Buick what is the point of Chevy.

Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      10-04-2012 06:18 PM #116
      If it comes as a Buick what is the point of Chevy.
      If it were to come here as a Chevy it would have to be, above all else, very cheap to purchase. I doubt gm would be able to manufacture this in a more cost friendly location any time soon. Now, if they sold it and marketed it as a Bucik, they genuinely have a chance at pulling off the "premium small car" thing. They could import them from Germany and sell them at competitive prices. No one would pay 20k for this if it had a Chevy badge, but as a Buick, I personally think that it could work. It could do good to the brand as well, as I and others have stated, it could broaden the demographic appeal of the Buick brand.

This COULD work... and in my mind, the only way would be to position it as a mini competitor, something that I dont see happening if its badged as a Chevy.
      Full time manual transmission elitist
      Part time arm chair CEO

10-04-2012 06:21 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by MK5golf View Post
      If it were to come here as a Chevy it would have to be, above all else, very cheap to purchase. I doubt gm would be able to manufacture this in a more cost friendly location any time soon. Now, if they sold it and marketed it as a Bucik, they genuinely have a chance at pulling off the "premium small car" thing. They could import them from Germany and sell them at competitive prices. No one would pay 20k for this if it had a Chevy badge, but as a Buick, I personally think that it could work. It could do good to the brand as well, as I and others have stated, it could broaden the demographic appeal of the Buick brand.

This COULD work... and in my mind, the only way would be to position it as a mini competitor, something that I dont see happening if its badged as a Chevy.
      We have the Spark already.

Bringing a range of cheap inexpensive Buick models sounds like a recipe for Chrysler/Fiat brand identity issues.

10-04-2012 09:25 PM #118
      2008 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 VR6 Quattro 6MT - Ibis White / Black
      2006 Audi A8 L 4.2 Quattro - Brilliant Black / Amaretto
      1990 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC - Black / Black

Vehicles
      91 BMW E30, 83 Peugeot 505, 92 Volvo 245
      10-04-2012 09:34 PM #119
      What a bunch of pathetic wannabe hipsters. They're not even hipsters. Lame.

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      10-04-2012 09:46 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by norcal505 View Post
      What a bunch of pathetic wannabe hipsters. They're not even hipsters. Lame.
      They're called Europeans.
      Esi ϟ Disi

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      10-05-2012 01:23 AM #121
      Seriously, f*ck the Buick "waterfall"; it's terrible.

Vehicles
      2013 Subaru WRX, 2010 Nissan Sentra aka THE M3 DESTROYER
      10-05-2012 01:56 AM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      Seriously, f*ck the Buick "waterfall"; it's terrible.
      +1, the design is a turn off. Part of the problem for me is that it appears pointy. Also it tends to be too large on the car. It isnt quite in the same class of bad grille designs as the timelessly hilarious Acura eagle-beak or the Lincoln "Sperm Whale" masterpiece, but it needs a redux nonetheless. A nondescript black mesh would look better...
      - mikey

"It's not a real build until there's Plasti Dip involved."

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      10-05-2012 02:41 AM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
      +1, the design is a turn off. Part of the problem for me is that it appears pointy. Also it tends to be too large on the car. It isnt quite in the same class of bad grille designs as the timelessly hilarious Acura eagle-beak or the Lincoln "Sperm Whale" masterpiece, but it needs a redux nonetheless. A nondescript black mesh would look better...
      The photoshop in the OP is perfect; just a badge swap and nothing more.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      10-05-2012 05:42 AM #124
      waterfall_image
      Not bad. Could work in black (vs. chrome).

Buick Adam? Probably will turn into a Buick Eve.

Opel Adam still confuses me.

I like the aroma of rain in Roanoke. But will I need my anorak and should I drive my Amarok or Camaro?
      Aung San Suu Kyi

20. 10-05-2012 05:55 AM #125
      Can it carry oxygen tanks or walkers?
      Quote Originally Posted by Pineapplegti ! View Post
      Brand enthusiasts are idiots.
      Klutch Republik - Live Fast , Drive Hard
      SCCH Cylinder Heads & Suspension Components
      OSD #16

21. Member
      10-05-2012 09:32 AM #126
      Name it the Buick Mol. And yeah, this grill doesnt work on this car.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234