Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noobie here just purchased a 2004 w12

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 BMW 740i imola red. 2004 w12 4 seater black on black
      10-02-2012 09:59 PM #1
      Hey just want to say hi and say what a great site this is. I just purchased a 2004 w12 with 49000 miles it is being delivered this week from California.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton V8
      10-02-2012 10:02 PM #2
      Welcome & Congratulations on your Phaeton!

Enjoy

Marcos

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      10-02-2012 10:14 PM #3
      Hi Getty:

Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to the forum.

We have a "Frequently Asked Questions" list that you might be interested in, it is here: Phaeton Forum 'Table of Contents' (FAQ by Category).

Also, to try and keep things on a friendly level, we usually sign our posts with our first name (makes it easier for everyone to know everyone else).

Michael
      Please don't send me technical questions via IM - instead, post your questions onto the end of the most appropriate thread in the FAQ, so that everyone can benefit from the answer, and everyone can assist in providing the answer. Thanks, Michael

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-02-2012 10:20 PM #4
      My name is Keith and thank you for the heads up about the frequently asked questions. I have been lurking for a while so I've seen a lot of the site. I'm sure when I finally get delivery of the car I will need all of what this site has to offer. Hello and thanks again

Keith

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      10-02-2012 10:31 PM #5
      Keith:

If you ever see a discussion thread that has missing pictures, just post a note on the end of it asking for the photos to be re-hosted.

I am presently working my way through the FAQ list, re-hosting the photos. So far, I've completed the first two sections (posts) of the 5 sections on the FAQ list. I hope to get photos re-hosted for the entire FAQ page by the end of October. But I am happy to do work 'out of sequence' if anyone wants the photos sooner.

Michael
      Please don't send me technical questions via IM - instead, post your questions onto the end of the most appropriate thread in the FAQ, so that everyone can benefit from the answer, and everyone can assist in providing the answer. Thanks, Michael

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Phaeton V8
      10-02-2012 10:53 PM #6
      Congratulations Keith on your purchase.
      You are going to love your car and this site. It's been a great source of information for me and I find it very valuable.
      Enjoy.

Nick

Vehicles
      Member of Le Club 2P: 2005 Coucou Grey W12 5-seater & 2005 Klavierlack Black W12 4-seater Phaetons
      10-03-2012 08:10 AM #7
      Keith,

At 49,000 miles, I believe your car is still eligible for the extended warranty called VW DriveEasy sold by VW dealers. (Someone else posted that age may exclude it - I am not sure about that.)

If I were you, I'd look into this. Beware, however: there is a substantial markup on the price of these from most dealerships. You don't list your location, but if you are willing/able to drive to Langhorne, PA (outside of Philadelphia), you could save thousands of dollars by buying a warranty from Chriis Farnham at VW of Langhorne. He charges $500 over cost.

Victor

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW Phaeton 6.0 W12
      10-03-2012 09:41 AM #8
      Welcome to the forum Keith!

I sounds like you got a really good car!

Juan

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-03-2012 10:14 AM #9
      Hey victor, thanks its funny I have spoken to Chris already and I am in the process of getting the warranty hopefully. The car was checked out in California commonwealth vw and Chris is getting the report from them that the car checks out. I do have one question thought live on Long Island NY anyone know of a mechanic or dealership that is good out here. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Keith

Vehicles
      Member of Le Club 2P: 2005 Coucou Grey W12 5-seater & 2005 Klavierlack Black W12 4-seater Phaetons
      10-03-2012 10:20 AM #10
      Keith,

That's great.

It also validates my point that what limits the availability of this warranty is mileage (under 67,000 miles), not age.

Victor

11. Junior Member
      10-03-2012 03:36 PM #11
      Welcome,

i also drive a 2004 W12, currently at 136000km and going strong. Save money for repairs. I put close to 15k USD cash into it in the last year alone. I think i got it all now

Enjoy the car, when it has no problems, it is a wonderful ride.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-03-2012 03:58 PM #12
      Hey Swiss that doesn't give me much confidence I guess the warranty is a must then.

13. Junior Member
      10-03-2012 04:16 PM #13
      Hello Getty,

oh yes, it is a must! Make sure it covers real parts like the tourge converter, transmission parts, engine dampers, rear sunshade, air suspension system parts and its controlers. Just to replace the rear sunshade, which was changed by design is over one thousand dollars.

Its a good car, look forward to it. But dont wear pink glasses, its another German Luxury Car full of motors, controllers and sensors. Its retail price was over 160k in Switzerland and to fix it, is not as cheap as a Suzuki. Some people sell it like a wondercar, this it is not. Its just a great car, when it runs.

Cheers

PS: Let me show you what i had to fix and give you some pointers that can save you huge money.

1x Generator VW states that the engine has to be removed, this is NOT correct
      12x Zündkerzen Spark Plugs - Normal Service, nothing serious
      12x Zündspuhlen Ignition Coils - Normal Service, nothing serious
      2x XENON Scheinwerfer XENON Bulps (Over 1500$)
      1x Heckrollo Rear Sunshade (Remove Rear Seats and more. 1000$+
      1x Drehmomentwandler (Noch 6 Monate Garantie) [B]Tourge Converter - VW States Engine Removal. This is NOT correct, the engine stays were it is[: Several thousands/B]
      Alle x Magnetventile im Getriebe Transmission - Magnetiv somethings....
      1x Getriebeölkühler Transmission oil cooler because the 2004 had a production bug but which leaked water into the transmission
      3x Umlenkrollen I cant translater it but normal service sort of, had to take the front of the car aparts
      1x Antriebsriehmen Belt that drives the generator (had to take front of car apart
      1x Starterbatterie Left Battery.... dont need AGM batery. I got one with larger capacity for half the price and runs perfect
      1x Comfortbatterie Same as above
      1x Sitzgestellkabel hinten rechts Rear Seat Motors. VW Quote was 5600$ including controler. Fixed it myself for 60$
      4x Reifendrucksensor Tire Preasure Sensors... dead battery, normal
      1x Getriebeölspühlung Transmission Flush
      4x Bremsbelege vor ca. 8000km Brakes, Normal
      4x Achsmanschetten Axle Boots and Axle itself (2500$
      4x Türenverkleidung aussen (Typische Krankheit) Door corossion
      1x Kofferraum Kabel (Typische Krankheit) Cable for Trunk, over 1000$
      4x Dunlop Sommerreifen Sport SP01 101Y (3 Monate Jung) Tires, Normal
      4x Goodyear Ultragrip (1 Winter gefahren) Tyres, Normal
      1x Frontscheibe (5 Monate Jung) Front Glas
      1x Wasserpumpe Waterpump, engine stays
      2x Unterbodenschutz Getriebe, Motor, Radkästen No idea how to translate it
      12x Querlenker und Koppelstange Suspension parts, expensive and need replacement at this age

I repaired more in the meantime.... most likely you will have more luck. But make sure you got a savings account
      Last edited by SwissW12; 10-03-2012 at 04:32 PM.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-03-2012 08:30 PM #14
      Hey Swiss it sounds like a lot of stuff happened with your car. I am getting the platinum warranty from vw I think it is the best warranty they have. I have a BMW 740i 2001 I kinda know what I'm getting into I hope lol. This car seems a lot more sophisticated and I hope all of you here in this thread will help me. I did have the car checked out at vw so I hope this helps and the car does have a trail of being maintained by vw so I hope this also helps but I know things happen

15. 10-03-2012 09:21 PM #15
      Very wise decision to get the warranty, get it for as long as you can and for as much mileage as you can.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-03-2012 10:46 PM #16
      You guys are scaring me lol

17. Junior Member
      10-04-2012 03:56 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
      You guys are scaring me lol
      That is exellent Getty! Better to be aware then to fork out 10k and more which could be used for other hobbies or hubbies

Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V10 swb 4-seat, Jeep Commander Hemi, Ssangyong Korando
      10-04-2012 05:35 AM #18
      I didn't buy a warranty because there were too many sneaky exclusions in the UK policies, and 3 years would cost $7.5k. So far the Jeep and Hyundai have cost more on repairs than the Phaeton.

Chris

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-04-2012 07:13 AM #19
      I didn't mean thar comment the way it seemed. I am a little nervous with everyone telling me I better get the warranty. Is probably a better way of saying what I wanted

20. Junior Member
      10-04-2012 07:19 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
      I didn't mean thar comment the way it seemed. I am a little nervous with everyone telling me I better get the warranty. Is probably a better way of saying what I wanted
      Hello Getty,

it can quite possibly be that you will drive it for years and have no problems at all. Many people love the Phaeton and have zero troubles. I was simply one of those who got a Monday car. But please be prepared, there is nothing cheap to fix on the Phaeton.

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 08:10 AM #21
      Getty,

Don't let the naysayers get you down. You're going to love the car!

You obviously did your homework. With the warranty, you should be covered against any catastrophic costs. The key for you now is to find a good service center that plays well with the warranty company.

Victor

22. Junior Member
      10-04-2012 08:19 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Victor R View Post
      Getty,

Don't let the naysayers get you down. You're going to love the car!

You obviously did your homework. With the warranty, you should be covered against any catastrophic costs. The key for you now is to find a good service center that plays well with the warranty company.

Victor
      Hi Victor,

we are not nay-sayers. We are Phaeton owners just like you, ok minus one Phaeton and since i live in Switzerland and Germany have great contacts. One really shouldnt use pink glasses when looking at a Phaeton

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 04:15 PM #23
      One really shouldnt use pink glasses when looking at a Phaeton
      Ah, but love is blind. Who cares about the Mean Time To Failure or the Cost Per Mile or the Parts Dept Markup when you are wearing that Phaeton Grin?

Chris

PS - you are still saving 50% over a Bentley!

24. Junior Member
      10-05-2012 04:20 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Paximus View Post
      Ah, but love is blind. Who cares about the Mean Time To Failure or the Cost Per Mile or the Parts Dept Markup when you are wearing that Phaeton Grin?

Chris

You are correct Sir.... thats why i pump money into it.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 W12 LWB 4 seat PHAETON- Nocturne Aubergine Klavierlack/Sonnen Beige, , 2003 Turbo S, 1953 11C.
      10-06-2012 11:15 PM #25
      Hello Keith, welcome to the "club"..

I'm surprised you didn't drive the car back home yourself. You understand you probably missed the experience of a lifetime. Nothing like a W12 at speed, in the morning, on the open road. I'm sure I'll see this car back in California again.

Bob

26. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-06-2012 11:21 PM #26
      Hey bob, believe me I was so looking toward to the drive but, the wife broke her foot two weeks ago so it was impossible for me to do it. I had to take care of her cause if I did drive it home I would have had no home to drive it to. Lol

Vehicles
      Phaeton 04W12, Crystal Grey & Extended Leather, '03AudiA4 1.8T, '51 BMW R25
      10-07-2012 04:22 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by SwissW12 View Post
      ...Let me show you what i had to fix and give you some pointers that can save you huge money.
      1x Generator VW states that the engine has to be removed, this is NOT correct.......
      My eyes started to twinkle when I saw your notes. The engine does not need to be removed to replace the generator? Do you have any details about how this was done? Complete removal of the engine has kept me from replacing the engine until now.

Willem

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      10-07-2012 04:57 PM #28
      Hi Willem:

To the best of my understanding, the engine has to be removed to change the generator on the W12 powered cars.

There is a technical bulletin out that discusses coolant leakage from the lines that supply coolant to the generator, and for cars with this particular problem (coolant leakage), the O-rings on the lines connecting to the generator can be replaced without the need to remove the generator from the engine (or the engine from the car). I'm wondering if, perhaps, this was the repair that SwissW12 had carried out.

I've attached the TB for your review, it is kind of lengthy because it addresses the same problem on various engines (Touareg fitments, etc.) - the W12 engine is discussed towards the end of the TB.

Michael
      Attached Files

29. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Phaeton V8
      10-07-2012 09:27 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Paximus View Post

Chris

I've got that grin and its worth every penny.
      Nick

30. Junior Member
      10-08-2012 05:24 AM #30
      Hello Michael and Willem,

on my W12 (2004) BAN Engine code, the generator has failed. I had it replaced and the engine was not touched at all. You disasemble the front (remove bumper and coolers). Remove the water hoses and screws and push the generator out in front. My new generator has been singing for 7 month now and the engine was never removed.

Cheers

You can see in this image the whole were the generator used to be and the engine sits were it belongs. We changed the belt, round things were the belt rides on and the AGR.

Last edited by SwissW12; 10-08-2012 at 05:35 AM.

Vehicles
      Phaeton 04W12, Crystal Grey & Extended Leather, '03AudiA4 1.8T, '51 BMW R25
      10-08-2012 05:40 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by SwissW12 View Post
      on my W12 (2004) BAN Engine code, the generator has failed. I had it replaced and the engine was not touched at all. You disasemble the front (remove bumper and coolers). Remove the water hoses and screws and push the generator out in front. My new generator has been singing for 7 month now and the engine was never removed.
      Hello Swiss,
      Thanks a lot for sharing this information. I already had a feeling that the engine would be sufficiently exposed to allow service to the generator, but your experience confirms this. Do you happen to know the exact part number? In ETKA, a lot of different parts are listed, even the water cooled one. There are tiny differences, some related to the position of the terminals and the mounting holes, some related to internal differences.

Michael, thanks for sharing this information. It looks like with complete removal of the bumper, the lock carrier and the components as indicated by SwissW12, I think it is possible to replace a lot of other components as well, including the serpentine belt. This is what I have been dreaming of for so long already.

Willem

Vehicles
      10-08-2012 06:37 AM #32
      There ought to be a warning on that photo for those of a nervous disposition!

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      10-08-2012 06:55 AM #33
      Wow, that is fascinating information.

It sure is a PITA to take the engine and transmission out (they have to be removed as a unit) - I did that once, it took a week to get it all in and out, just to change a single O-ring in the torque converter.

Michael

Michael's car - engine removal

34. Junior Member
      10-08-2012 07:03 AM #34
      Holy cow

When i had my transmission removed to replace the tourge converter, the engine as not removed. ZF in Zürich also replaces the tourge converter witout removing the engine. Was there a specific reason why you dropped the engine apart from those awsome pictures?

Vehicles
      2002 Passat W8, 2005 Phaeton V6 TDI
      10-08-2012 08:11 AM #35
      Michael,

Can I also add how much I like your dealer's hose reel

Harry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast