Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noobie here just purchased a 2004 w12

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 BMW 740i imola red. 2004 w12 4 seater black on black
      10-06-2012 11:21 PM #26
      Hey bob, believe me I was so looking toward to the drive but, the wife broke her foot two weeks ago so it was impossible for me to do it. I had to take care of her cause if I did drive it home I would have had no home to drive it to. Lol

Vehicles
      Phaeton 04W12, Crystal Grey & Extended Leather, '03AudiA4 1.8T, '51 BMW R25
      10-07-2012 04:22 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by SwissW12 View Post
      ...Let me show you what i had to fix and give you some pointers that can save you huge money.
      1x Generator VW states that the engine has to be removed, this is NOT correct.......
      My eyes started to twinkle when I saw your notes. The engine does not need to be removed to replace the generator? Do you have any details about how this was done? Complete removal of the engine has kept me from replacing the engine until now.

Willem

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      10-07-2012 04:57 PM #28
      Hi Willem:

To the best of my understanding, the engine has to be removed to change the generator on the W12 powered cars.

There is a technical bulletin out that discusses coolant leakage from the lines that supply coolant to the generator, and for cars with this particular problem (coolant leakage), the O-rings on the lines connecting to the generator can be replaced without the need to remove the generator from the engine (or the engine from the car). I'm wondering if, perhaps, this was the repair that SwissW12 had carried out.

I've attached the TB for your review, it is kind of lengthy because it addresses the same problem on various engines (Touareg fitments, etc.) - the W12 engine is discussed towards the end of the TB.

Michael
      Attached Files

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Phaeton V8
      10-07-2012 09:27 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Paximus View Post
      Ah, but love is blind. Who cares about the Mean Time To Failure or the Cost Per Mile or the Parts Dept Markup when you are wearing that Phaeton Grin?

Chris

PS - you are still saving 50% over a Bentley!
      I've got that grin and its worth every penny.
      Nick

5. Junior Member
      10-08-2012 05:24 AM #30
      Hello Michael and Willem,

on my W12 (2004) BAN Engine code, the generator has failed. I had it replaced and the engine was not touched at all. You disasemble the front (remove bumper and coolers). Remove the water hoses and screws and push the generator out in front. My new generator has been singing for 7 month now and the engine was never removed.

Cheers

You can see in this image the whole were the generator used to be and the engine sits were it belongs. We changed the belt, round things were the belt rides on and the AGR.

Last edited by SwissW12; 10-08-2012 at 05:35 AM.

Vehicles
      Phaeton 04W12, Crystal Grey & Extended Leather, '03AudiA4 1.8T, '51 BMW R25
      10-08-2012 05:40 AM #31
      on my W12 (2004) BAN Engine code, the generator has failed. I had it replaced and the engine was not touched at all. You disasemble the front (remove bumper and coolers). Remove the water hoses and screws and push the generator out in front. My new generator has been singing for 7 month now and the engine was never removed.
      Hello Swiss,
      Thanks a lot for sharing this information. I already had a feeling that the engine would be sufficiently exposed to allow service to the generator, but your experience confirms this. Do you happen to know the exact part number? In ETKA, a lot of different parts are listed, even the water cooled one. There are tiny differences, some related to the position of the terminals and the mounting holes, some related to internal differences.

Michael, thanks for sharing this information. It looks like with complete removal of the bumper, the lock carrier and the components as indicated by SwissW12, I think it is possible to replace a lot of other components as well, including the serpentine belt. This is what I have been dreaming of for so long already.

Willem

Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V10 swb 4-seat, Jeep Commander Hemi, Ssangyong Korando
      10-08-2012 06:37 AM #32
      There ought to be a warning on that photo for those of a nervous disposition!

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      10-08-2012 06:55 AM #33
      Wow, that is fascinating information.

It sure is a PITA to take the engine and transmission out (they have to be removed as a unit) - I did that once, it took a week to get it all in and out, just to change a single O-ring in the torque converter.

Michael

Michael's car - engine removal

9. Junior Member
      10-08-2012 07:03 AM #34
      Holy cow

When i had my transmission removed to replace the tourge converter, the engine as not removed. ZF in Zürich also replaces the tourge converter witout removing the engine. Was there a specific reason why you dropped the engine apart from those awsome pictures?

Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V6 TDI, 2003 Mercedes CL55K, 2002 Passat W8
      10-08-2012 08:11 AM #35
      Michael,

Can I also add how much I like your dealer's hose reel

Harry

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Highline
      10-08-2012 04:24 PM #36
      Was there a specific reason why you dropped the engine apart from those awsome pictures?
      Because that was how the repair manual said the work was to be carried out. If I recall correctly, that work was done in early 2007.

Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12