Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Need info on current phones

Vehicles
      AE86, E30/36
      10-02-2012 10:40 PM #1
      I'm looking to get a new phone. I don't change phones often as I've has my iphone 3g for about 3 years now, and had the old school aluminum iphones for a couple of years before then.
      So many phones out on the market now, kinda overwhelming as I haven't been following all this **** for years. Definitely out of the loop.
      Phones that grabbed my attention are the samsung galaxy nexus, galaxy s3 (a lot more money than the nexus for not much more is what i gathered), and the new iphone. **** blackberry.

whats best these days?

2. 10-02-2012 11:04 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by MangoBurnout View Post
      I'm looking to get a new phone. I don't change phones often as I've has my iphone 3g for about 3 years now, and had the old school aluminum iphones for a couple of years before then.
      So many phones out on the market now, kinda overwhelming as I haven't been following all this **** for years. Definitely out of the loop.
      Phones that grabbed my attention are the samsung galaxy nexus, galaxy s3 (a lot more money than the nexus for not much more is what i gathered), and the new iphone. **** blackberry.

whats best these days?
      Galaxy S3 is a higher spec phone than the Galaxy Nexus, mostly in hardware but also software.

Aot of good phones out there. I would go cross-shop and see what fits your needs the best.

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      10-03-2012 07:48 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by joe97 View Post
      mostly in hardware but also software.
      The Galaxy Nexus is stock Android from Google. It's more up to date than the GSIII.
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

Vehicles
      i've a horse outside.
      10-03-2012 10:03 AM #4
      a solid case can be made for both the nexus and the s3.

best thing to do is figure out which you personally like more.
      shut your mouth. sh sh shut your mouth.

5. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      10-03-2012 10:18 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by MangoBurnout View Post

whats best these days?
      If you don't change phones often, stay with Apple. Samsung forces you to buy a new phone every year or so just to get updates unless you are savvy enough to acquire the "community" assembled updates yourself.

Samsung S3 is my main phone and I wouldn't recommend it just for big screen, battery life is a big issue.

I wouldn't voucher for the Galaxy Nexus right now as a new Nexus phone is coming out in the 1st quarter of 13'

6. 10-03-2012 01:16 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Minker17 View Post
      The Galaxy Nexus is stock Android from Google. It's more up to date than the GSIII.
      Up-to-date in terms of? Yes, the GN has gotten JB already, but some markets have received JB on the GS3 as well (and from what I have heard, other markets should be getting JB soon).

Hardware specs definitely favor the GS3, faster processor, more memory, removable storage, better camera specs, etc. On the software end, most Google apps are the same. On the GS3, there are some neat Samsung specific applications, AllShare Play for one, where you can share and stream across multiple equipment, without the use of dongles nor complicated setups (you can also use the phone as a remote control).

I have been using a GS3 since its initial release on Verizon, and in the short time of ownership, I think it has been the best overall phone I have had (other phones I have owned, including Apple, Blackberry, Windows, Palm, and non-smart phones).
      Last edited by joe97; 10-03-2012 at 01:24 PM.

7. 10-03-2012 01:29 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post
      battery life is a big issue.
      This has been an issue for me through the first few weeks, but has since improved, to the point it would last at least a day with regular use (no wifi; just LTE) from full charge.

Charging still runs faster with mobile data option on for some weird reasons vs. other charging options (mobile data on, mobile data off, wifi on, mobile data off, wifi off, phone completely off).

8. 10-11-2012 06:17 AM #8
      Stick to the Galaxy S3