Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: O/T Did any Melbournites get stuck in ****tylink Tunnel?

Vehicles
      vw and merc white pos
      10-03-2012 01:51 AM #1
      Major Fail, backup didn't work why can't they operate manually?

Class action anyone?
      Yeah I'm a Volvo driver

2. 10-03-2012 02:22 AM #2

3. 10-03-2012 05:01 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Zorg2 View Post
      Major Fail, backup didn't work why can't they operate manually?

Class action anyone?
      Certainly didn't miss the irony that the computer 'glitch' also made it impossible to warn motorists that the tunnels were closed due to a computer 'glitch'!!!

At least it's not a regular occurrence. The M5 tunnel in Sydney gets clogged up on a regular basis due to car breakdowns/accidents. No idea who the muppet was that decided 2 lanes in some of our major tunnels was a good idea either - talk about being short-sighted!!

We also have the M2, which is currently undergoing 'an upgrade' that is expected to take 2 years (18 months so far) which has SO many different speed zones due to the 'roadworks', that it has doubled the time taken for some poor buggers to travel to work - and who are still getting stung with the tolls, which add up to around $9 one way.

Don't even get me started on the stupidity of having to slow down to either 40 or 60 to go through the now cashless tolls (yep, and they wonder why it has a flow on affect).

Having used the Melbourne freeways, they seem to run a hell of a lot smoother than ours do up here. Although I guess when yours fark up, they really fark up - fark'n

4. 10-03-2012 05:21 AM #4
      I knew about it before I left for work, and texted a workmate who was going to drive his very grumpy TR6 to work this morning.
      I went along Nepean Hwy/Beach Rd (from Seaford to the city) and it took 1h45, which wasn't actually THAT bad for that way.
      Workmate went along the Monash/Citylink from Berwick to the city, left home at 7am, walked in the door at work at 11.... The last 5ish km's took nearly 3 hours, the Monash was flowing well until Yarra Boulevard at which point it turned to ****, and there's nowhere else to get off.

I somehow think some heads might roll at Transurban over such a chronic systems failure.
      I also want to know how I get a job as the CEO of a company that operates toll roads and get paid $7.6 million a year for what really can't be THAT complex a job.

10-03-2012 05:25 AM #5
      One of the benefits of working nights this week. I was asleep the whole time

I've been in the Citilink Control room a few times. Pretty cool with all the mission control like screens and ****. A lot of the warning systems are automated in that they detect when cars suddenly brake and slow down etc. Doesn't help if your monitor goes blank in rush hour though
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stubby, Esq. View Post
      buy both, save time.

Vehicles
      79 GLD, 03 GTI
      10-03-2012 05:32 AM #6
      I'm a country member.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      10-03-2012 06:08 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by .Megan. View Post
      Certainly didn't miss the irony that the computer 'glitch' also made it impossible to warn motorists that the tunnels were closed due to a computer 'glitch'!!!

At least it's not a regular occurrence. The M5 tunnel in Sydney gets clogged up on a regular basis due to car breakdowns/accidents. No idea who the muppet was that decided 2 lanes in some of our major tunnels was a good idea either - talk about being short-sighted!!

We also have the M2, which is currently undergoing 'an upgrade' that is expected to take 2 years (18 months so far) which has SO many different speed zones due to the 'roadworks', that it has doubled the time taken for some poor buggers to travel to work - and who are still getting stung with the tolls, which add up to around $9 one way.

Don't even get me started on the stupidity of having to slow down to either 40 or 60 to go through the now cashless tolls (yep, and they wonder why it has a flow on affect).

Having used the Melbourne freeways, they seem to run a hell of a lot smoother than ours do up here. Although I guess when yours fark up, they really fark up - fark'n

Keep in mind that adding more lanes doesn't improve the traffic, quite contrary in fact. Read about roadwork development around NYC (Triborough bridge) back in the 50s. All you get is more cars using the road and the traffic is still just as bad.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

8. 10-03-2012 06:23 AM #9
      people actuall having the ability to merge, and some vague awareness of what's going on around them would help too.....

10-03-2012 07:00 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by MickyD View Post
      people actuall having the ability to merge, and some vague awareness of what's going on around them would help too.....
      See that's funny as having spent the first 20 years of my driving life in Perth I find Melbourne drivers pretty polite. Aggressive, impatient but usually polite
      buy both, save time.

10. 10-03-2012 07:06 AM #11
      Six words I've learnt from the tex. "Off and on at the wall"

Vehicles
      vw and merc white pos
      10-03-2012 07:11 AM #12
      lol at Saul Goodman YDG, Breaking Bad is one of my favourite shows.

Why can't Vic Roads step in and force the safety nannies to open the tunnel?
      Yeah I'm a Volvo driver

12. 10-03-2012 07:16 AM #13
      I actually think they did the right thing by closing it under the circumstances. Assuming they were telling the truth, they had no control over the exhaust fans, and more importantly, the deluge systems for if there was a fire.

Mont Blanc Tunnel fire anyone?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Bl...#The_1999_fire

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      10-03-2012 07:17 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by plastic View Post
      Six words I've learnt from the tex. "Off and on at the wall"
      Sounds like they needed to manage the situation better.

Vehicles
      MKVI Golf GTI - MKVI Polo TSI
      10-03-2012 08:12 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post
      Am I missing something here?

A GLITCH??????

I work with systems that have triple redundancy, just in case some dork is playing Mario on a system net and one has hit CTRL/ALT/DEL at an inopportune time.

Like when there's an incoming about to **** everyones day!!!

This is one of the states most critical arterials and all we get is eight hours of primary school tech speak about "teams investigating " and "we're looking into it"

Faaaaaark

10-03-2012 09:36 AM #16
      Probably the guys they let go from Myki...
      buy both, save time.

16. Senior Member
      10-03-2012 09:56 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by sweatyworker View Post
      One of the benefits of working nights this week. I was asleep the whole time
      Being school holidays, I was at home playing Angry Birds with OllieWAY. Only found out when my parents turned up and said it took them forever to get to our place. If it had been a school day, that tunnel would have been my regular route. Then again, if it was that jammed I would have taken OllieWAY home and not bothered anyway.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

17. 10-03-2012 06:43 PM #18
      so they're saying a core switch failed, and then backup systems did as well. Assuming we're talking about network infrastructure, there is absolutely no excuse for that in such a critical piece of infrastructure. It's not that hard to design for that sort of failure, and even if they had multiple failures, there should have been maintenance contracts and procedures in place whereby equipment could be replaced within 4 hours.
      Mind you, if the system in place is 13 years old without a refresh, it may well be end of life, and unsupportable, which is even more inexcusable.

Vehicles
      vw and merc white pos
      10-03-2012 08:09 PM #19
      yes heads should roll over this CIO should get the big A... As MickyD says where was the failover and also DRP?

Bring in Slater and Gordon
      Yeah I'm a Volvo driver

19. 10-03-2012 08:20 PM #20
      I used to work in healthcare, and people died if infrastructure wasn't working properly. Gives you a different perspective on redundancy....

We only ever had one patient die that was MAYBE linked to a fault, but he/she must have been pretty close to going anyway. We did have a VERY close call when I got a site to power off their UPS for their comms equipment, only to find out that it was sitting next to an identical UPS that was powering the intensive care ward. Of course they turned off the wrong one. Luckily there were no patients in there at the time....

20. 10-04-2012 07:53 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post
      I agree. They should have rounded up every mf who'd ever taken a piss in the executive bathroom, tattooed 'personal responsibility' across their forehead in Helvetica 36pt bold and had em humping rickshaws up and down the emergency lane until Dave from the help desk got back from Jaycar with a new wallwart for the Netgear.

PS I liked it...much less traffic about c.f. usual I thought.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      10-04-2012 08:54 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Zorg2 View Post
      yes heads should roll over this CIO should get the big A... As MickyD says where was the failover and also DRP?

Bring in Slater and Gordon
      lol and people blame lawyers for pointless litigation?

There was a traffic jam. People were late for work. Big deal.

With respect.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheHamofMam View Post
      That looks like something from their Prep Boy f@ggot collection.
      Quote Originally Posted by smarm View Post
      Can you give me a heads up when that hits the market.