Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Anyone swap out the RNS-315 for the RNS-510 (Question for new 2013 CC Lux)

10-03-2012 03:34 AM #1
      Hey guys, I did some searching but didn't quite find what I was looking for as it pertains to the CC specifically.

I'm new to the VW world so please forgive me if this is a simple question based on experiences with other VW Models...

The 2.0T simply isn't available with the RNS-510. As far as I can tell its only an option if you're willing to step up to the VR6 which I'm not.

That being said, I'd like to have a more full featured navigation. I see from a search that the RNS-315 goes regularly for between $650-750 and looks like I can purchase the RNS-510 for between $1000-$1300 on the forum if I'm patient enough to find a good one at a decent price.

My question is: if I do this, is it a simple plug and play operation? Will the Bluetooth mic, iPod cable, navigation, steering wheel controls all work as they should? The RNS315 has all these things just doesn't have as advanced of a navigation and doesn't have DVD playback capability which is what I'm after. Both functions, I'd assume should be included in the RNS510 unit itself and I'd assume wouldn't require any further gadgets.

So that s the basic question, can I expect to be able to buy the unit, pull out the old plug the connectors in and pop the old one back up for sale without any issues, with everything working?

Again I tried searching, and it DOES seem that simple, but its a lot of $$ so I'd like to be sure before I take the plunge on someones FS: RNS510.

Thanks!

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW CC Sport Reflex Silver
      10-03-2012 05:43 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by starbai View Post
      Hey guys, I did some searching but didn't quite find what I was looking for as it pertains to the CC specifically.

I'm new to the VW world so please forgive me if this is a simple question based on experiences with other VW Models...

The 2.0T simply isn't available with the RNS-510. As far as I can tell its only an option if you're willing to step up to the VR6 which I'm not.

That being said, I'd like to have a more full featured navigation. I see from a search that the RNS-315 goes regularly for between $650-750 and looks like I can purchase the RNS-510 for between $1000-$1300 on the forum if I'm patient enough to find a good one at a decent price.

My question is: if I do this, is it a simple plug and play operation? Will the Bluetooth mic, iPod cable, navigation, steering wheel controls all work as they should? The RNS315 has all these things just doesn't have as advanced of a navigation and doesn't have DVD playback capability which is what I'm after. Both functions, I'd assume should be included in the RNS510 unit itself and I'd assume wouldn't require any further gadgets.

So that s the basic question, can I expect to be able to buy the unit, pull out the old plug the connectors in and pop the old one back up for sale without any issues, with everything working?

Again I tried searching, and it DOES seem that simple, but its a lot of $$ so I'd like to be sure before I take the plunge on someones FS: RNS510.

Thanks!
      from what i have read it is a plug and chug operation. however the rns 315 does not have all the same functionality. they deleted the HD radio capability from the RCD-510 and it does not have the on board hardrive and dvd playback function that hte RNS-510 has. not to mention a retardedly smaller screen. its a slap in the face to anyone who pays this high a price tag for a car, especially a volkswagen. the Passat SEL Premium comes with the RNS and costs WAAAAAAAY less than this car. Fing retarded in my book. VW just needs to do away with the 315.
      fog light mod (almost complete). euro headlight switch, euro cup holder, 2013 CC door sills, 35% tint

Vehicles
      2010 CC Sport 2.0t
      10-04-2012 11:27 AM #3
      Should be plug and play. In my 2010 it was plug and play except that you have to add a GPS antenna. If your car has a Rns-315 it may already have the GPS antenna though, i swapped an RCD-510 for an RNS-510.

You can just put a GPS antenna under the dash or run a wire outside and put it in the front vent, or do it the pro way and install the OEM Antenna that has "Radio/sirius/gps"

Vehicles
      2014 VW
      10-06-2012 07:05 AM #4
      True the RNS-315 isn't the best, but it's better to have SOME sort of Navigation instead of nothing (like the RCD-510).
      I don't use it often at all, but it's just nice to know it's there if I do need it

At least to me

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW CC Sport Reflex Silver
      10-08-2012 03:15 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
      True the RNS-315 isn't the best, but it's better to have SOME sort of Navigation instead of nothing (like the RCD-510).
      I don't use it often at all, but it's just nice to know it's there if I do need it

At least to me
      No. you are absolutely right. it is nice to have. it would be a better move, in my book to go with the RNS-510 all around. dont even mess with the RCD-510 or RNS-315. i mean if you're starting a base model car that is supposed to be a nicer, more luxurious/sporty version of the PASSAT, they should use the PASSAT SEL interior accoutrements and build from there.

I agree the RCD-510 is weak. so is the RNS-315. they should have just used the RNS-510 with premium 8 speaker system. then used the Dynadio system to help differintiate the Executive trim from the eight or so other trims (i jokingly say i forget how many because they changed every year i hope you get the point)
      Last edited by martinelles; 10-08-2012 at 03:19 PM.
      fog light mod (almost complete). euro headlight switch, euro cup holder, 2013 CC door sills, 35% tint