Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: first (8v) build, go easy on me

Vehicles
      97 Jetta Jazz(RIP) 97 Jetta GT 91 Jetta GL 90 Corrado G60
      10-03-2012 04:31 AM #1
      I don't know where to begin other then i don't care to post much on here. On the flip side I have read up and researched what I am going to be doing with my build/ read a ton of threads. A fair warning, I'm not the best at sentence structuring, haha i tend to explain myself a lot with words AND pictures. only 1 posted right now as im learning to use photobucket and make posts on here.

$300 beginnings
      1991 Jetta GL not running that had been sitting for 2+ years. it came with
      B&G Coilovers
      minty Corrado Sebrings on brand new tires
      Old style Thule roof rack and fairing (covered on right side/corner) with all locks/keys
      minty interior
      FK badgeless grille
      a tune up from GAP
      3 sets of Round headlights. 1 set being Ecodes. 1 set being cross hairs and the last set being the stock "hella" rounds.
      body in solid shape
      the original keys(1 for locks and 1 for ignition)
      a folder with every single receipt. (this gave me a confidence boost on this 300,000+ mile Mk2 knowing the motor would need new life)
      and

a Hollywood undead cd
      bunch of Misc. parts,
      and some change which i offered to give back jokingly so he took me serious and said i could keep it. It turns out in posts later i will need it, lots of it.

[IMG][/IMG]

I couldn't resist.

I was beyond stoked when i saw this posted on here. He was asking 500$ or best offer. I got in contact with him right away and it was set id come check this out. The next Night after traveling home from Cali, we struck a deal. To my surprise he low-balled my offer of 375$ to 300$ from just wanting to get rid of it.
      this was his Daily Driver to West Virginia and Back for his job, respectively. The receipts had reflected how well he had taken care of this car.
      I was scared for it possibly not having a tittle and then i knew it was decided i would do whatever i have to do to get this car.
      I check it out finding it would need a bare minimum to pass pa inspection and emissions it would need
      tune-up(which he had one for it)
      New Rain Gutter seals
      Pads and Rotors
      throttle cable
      new Temp Sensors (and the obvious fluid flush and refresh)
      we talk things over and found out he was trying to revive this after it had sat for 2+ years from him getting an R32 ( replaced heater core, door handles, E-Brake cables)
      I put a 200$ deposit on the car and he agrees to hold it for me as long as i paid him off soon and kept him updated with what was going on with my income situation.

(i learned its better to stick with your job no matter how much it sucks until you can go to another one and have the full amount of what a seller is asking not wasting there time)

a few months later as he promised to hold it for me, I made the purchase. (after being unemployed, getting an awesome job and saving "beloved" money), It was mine.
      When went to the notary to do this and the Notarization person asked "why is the price so low?"
      he(seller) responds:" the car has over 300 thousand miles, it doesn't run". I looked at him and smiled in a thanking way knowing he could have gotten more money from another sale or parts alone. He was fine with me coming back for the car later as long as i kept my word.

another month later right before new years eve 2011
      I go to get this beloved car of mine from him with him and had a plan to drive it out of there.
      The tired worn out DIGI II motor wouldn't turn over to get it out of his place for the life in it. So, the last resort was being pulled by his fathers work truck connected to a few chains connected to the front cross member and me driving while using the E-Brake to stop(which i did check before we tackled this mission). We went less then 2 miles up the road to my newly rented garage that was empty. Pulling out of his driveway showed me how low this Mk2 really was. Ill admit i did smile for a few seconds when beloved and I shared our first few scrapings and then realized this is way to low for my preference. Got it to the garage and the first thing i tackled was
      starting to pull the engine out piece by piece for not having many tools or an engine lift. found lots of usable parts i wont be using to help fund the project. I'll post up a list with pics of what i have later.
      its almost 6am and i've been up since 11am. I am beat.
      i will finish this post out by saying this:

my plans are for this

Rebuil(t)d Motor
      ( ABA OBD1 bottom end
      GTI head
      lightweight pulleys
      270* cam
      Heavy Duty Valve springs
      all new gaskets
      3.5 FPR ect ect)
      TT Stainless Cat Back Exhaust w/ borla muffler
      TT Chip
      BFI motor and trans mounts, Polyurethane bushings
      mk3 gas tank swap
      mk3 rear disc swap
      mk3 front brake swap
      stainless brake lines
      22mm master cylinder swap
      G60 Tranny
      lightened flywheel
      LSD
      preparation for paint
      and much more to come
      this was all decided back in March and my job worked me 70 hours a week for a while. that has now slowed down and its going to get even slower.
      this leaves me time to finally focus on this project after it has sat for a while in peices begging to be built. begging.

Goal: Build a clean, fun and reliable Daily Driver

more to pics to come
      Last edited by Mosh,MyAntiDrug; 10-03-2012 at 05:35 AM.

Vehicles
      e36 328i, 2010 Fusion
      10-03-2012 10:10 AM #2
      Good luck on meeting your goal! Keep a bently close by and have fun!
      Quote Originally Posted by dubraycer36 View Post
      If you're into abusive, one way only relationships with European goldiggers, that have a penchant for BDSM roleplay w/out the use of safewords, then yeah, MkII Gti's are the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 01:47 PM #3
      thanks airman.
      I have been around these way to much as a teenager and have always wanted to build one. for being 21 with a good paying job and 3 days off a week, i don't feel limited with time anymore.

today im going to my garage to clean up a huge mess and start prioritizing this build.

pics will be posted up later
      Last edited by Mosh,MyAntiDrug; 10-03-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Vehicles
      92 jetta, b5 wagon
      10-03-2012 02:31 PM #4
      is 717 your legit location?
      Quote Originally Posted by 90dub View Post
      these pics make me wanna punch baby monkeys

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 03:55 AM #5
      riceslayer- yes. I'm over in the Lancaster Area. Once this build is done id like to get a gtg going

Vehicles
      92 jetta, b5 wagon
      10-04-2012 07:23 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosh,MyAntiDrug View Post
      riceslayer- yes. I'm over in the Lancaster Area. Once this build is done id like to get a gtg going
      thats not too far, im only about an hour away. if you set up a gtg let me know, my car should be done pretty soon and id like to meet some more local mk2 guys.

also good luck with the build, ill be watching this one.
      Quote Originally Posted by 90dub View Post
      these pics make me wanna punch baby monkeys

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 12:14 PM #7
      thats not too far, im only about an hour away. if you set up a gtg let me know, my car should be done pretty soon and id like to meet some more local mk2 guys.

also good luck with the build, ill be watching this one.
      you must be on the eastern side then. I am not quite sure when ill have this car done. I do know that I'm gonna have a ball building this. getting a GTG around the lancaster area will be easy. lots of Mk2 dudes all over the place

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 01:43 PM #8
      updates are coming today

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 02:30 PM #9
      got out to my garage yesterday

I started tearing down the bottom end ill be using. I scored this for 100$ pulled and picked up. this had over 270K on it. it was real easy because somone had came and got the head and piston/rod #3. so i will need a piston#3 and rod. but i cant complain for all the goodies he let go with the bottom end. its dirty and ill be cleaning it up then sending out to the machine shop for checking over everything.
      [IMG][/IMG]
      i got the water pump off and went to get the main drive pulley off and noticed this
      [IMG][/IMG]. the guy i got the bottom end bought the car for parting out only. he had some sweet rides sitting in his garage. I imagine the po lost one of these and replaced it with one he had found from somwhere. i refuse to do that in this build.
      everything came off smoothly and couldnt do much more.

here is the GTI motor i scored for 100$. i almost have everything i need parts wise to start this motor build at my garage. like i had mentioned earlier i will post a list with pictures when the motor is done.

[IMG][/IMG]

the seller also included this in it which im not sure if ill use or not

[IMG][/IMG]

one more shot of the engine and bay

[IMG][/IMG]

i started to label all the important wires and the wire harness. I advise this when doing any engine builds. itll save you the headache of figuring out what goes where.
      thats it for now.

it was still light out so

I had some things needing done to my Daily Driver.
      first was putting back together my front bumper cover on the Mk3 jetta a women had ripped right on the corner and having limited funds right now i did this
      [IMG][/IMG]
      yep, you see what you see. i dont have any pics of the process of getting the quick fixed bondo out of there to temporarily hold it together until her insurance company was going to fix it until i got taken to court and lost over an accident she caused. oh well. her car got pretty jacked up for running a stop sign and cutting into me.. anyways

i was able to put this all back together and ziptie my grille back on that she popped right off when she hit me
      [IMG][/IMG]

got that all done and i decided to paint these cheezy american racing wheels that came with the car when i bought it black

[IMG][/IMG]

they turned out awesome!

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 02:39 PM #10
      oops! i posted that header twice by accident. that is not an engine bay pic.
      here is what i was talking about.

[IMG][/IMG]

more updates coming soon! thanks for stopping by.

Vehicles
      10-16-2012 04:13 AM #11
      not much has been happening the past few weeks. been out of work 2 weeks from being sick and taking my week vacation from work at Disney World. this week I'm planning on pulling the motor and starting to disassemble the ABA bottom end ill be using and cleaning up the engine bay a bit.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      G60 on CIS-E and a bunch of other VW's
      10-16-2012 10:05 AM #12
      Looks good.
      You got a deal for $300.
      I have 8V odds and ends if you need stuff to piece back together.
      PM me if you're looking for something. One of my cars is turning into a MK2.5 hybrid so I am not using some stuff you might need. I would not want you to get taken for a ride when trying to buy odds n ends like I was looking for G60 stuff.
      G60 on CIS-E, soon to be Twin Screw on CIS-E
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-CIS-E-G-Lader

WTB Exip Mega's, PM me if you have a set with caps

Vehicles
      10-22-2012 01:48 AM #13
      well i have been out of a job since last Tuesday BUT i AM going to continue on with this build with money ill be making on the side. Commencing More Motivation!

[QUOTE]Looks good.
      You got a deal for $300.
      I have 8V odds and ends if you need stuff to piece back together.
      PM me if you're looking for something. One of my cars is turning into a MK2.5 hybrid so I am not using some stuff you might need. I would not want you to get taken for a ride when trying to buy odds n ends like I was looking for G60 stuff. [QUOTE]

thank you. On that note of G60, i am getting ready to get a Corrado ive had since highschool. Im ready to let it go. I have come to the conclusion i will not be parting it out but be selling it as a whole for how much more positives this car possesses

BIG picture update comming soon

Vehicles
      1992 Jetta project
      10-22-2012 10:30 PM #14
      sounds kind of like my story. but i only needed a trans....actually looks like mine too minus the coils.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo27 View Post
      LA1Z
      Steveo approved

Vehicles
      1992 Jetta project
      10-22-2012 10:32 PM #15
      also if you're looking for cash. i'm looking for a roof rack so if its in decent shape i'll purchase it off you if the price is decent.
      Quote Originally Posted by steveo27 View Post
      LA1Z
      Steveo approved

Vehicles
      10-28-2012 04:44 PM #16
      [QUOTE/]
      also if you're looking for cash. i'm looking for a roof rack so if its in decent shape i'll purchase it off you if the price is decent. [QOUTE/]

if i do end up getting rid of the roof rack ill pm you first. Its minty with all locks and keys so the price may be a little high

Vehicles
      12-13-2012 08:30 PM #17
      bump for update

Well im back and a few change of plans.

for now having a job again (after almost 3 months) i decided it would be best for now to just throw in new piston rings on the donor motor i was going to take parts off of and build the head up and just throw it in for now until i can finish this motor build. Im tired of this not going anywhere and this is the simplest option for now.

saving up for Enkie 92 Classic wheels. future purchase.
      annnnnd

i have to move out of my garage the middle of january wich gives me enough time to get this running right now to move into a 1 bay oversized garage for less $$. Not my first choice although itll do for now since im making half of what i used to make. suprisingly im ok with it. yes i do miss the money and all together its not worth it in the long run.

back on topic

This means ill be selling some stuff

already up for sale is my Thule Roof rack with old style fairing. comes with all keys and locks in well working order.. 175$ not shipped. I PMed a someone already BUT if they dont want it, ill sell it to whoever wants it, first come first serve basis.

going back to my garage tomorrow to start moving things. Jetta will be last to roll out of that garage MARK MY WORDS.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      G60 on CIS-E and a bunch of other VW's
      12-14-2012 09:35 AM #18
      On your previous post regarding the corrado.
      I am always looking for used G Laders.
      Do you have one you are looking to part with. My plan is to rebuild it and take care of it, not neglect, let it blow up, and then say it was a piece of crap design; because it's not.
      G60 on CIS-E, soon to be Twin Screw on CIS-E
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-CIS-E-G-Lader

WTB Exip Mega's, PM me if you have a set with caps

Vehicles
      01-02-2013 06:06 PM #19
      havnt been able to do much the past few weeks. Working on getting ready to be engaged soon. Im just ready to go into the jeweler and purchase the ring. Oh Tax Return, some sooner! I sold the Thule Roof Rack i was talking about to a dude in NJ with one clean Turquoise Golf. holy wow. I wish i had gotten a picture of it. Im Looking to make trades for Mk2 Parts i NEED to get this project basically done. when i say basic, I mean bare minimum.

I need:
      Brake Line Long Sections
      Drivers and Passengers Side Rain Gutter Seals
      ABA Downpipe
      DIGI II engine bay wire harness
      DIGI II ECU
      DIGI II Ignition Coil
      Air Filter (dont really need, would help)

On your previous post regarding the corrado.
      I am always looking for used G Laders.
      Do you have one you are looking to part with. My plan is to rebuild it and take care of it, not neglect, let it blow up, and then say it was a piece of crap design; because it's not.
      I do not want to part with my G60 Mainly for my Corrado being 99% complete mechanically. I do agree, G-Ladders are very underrated. If i do find some that someone is selling i will PM you about it.

Looks like ill be getting a storage unit instead. tight on money, too many cars At the moment and its much safer then renting someone elses garage.

If you have any of what i NEED, please, PM me.