Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Stuttering wiper blades !

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      10-03-2012 08:22 AM #1
      Noticed, always at low wiper speed, I'd get a 'shudder like' stuttering of the rubber blades
      when they reached 'mid-way' to 'fully down' positions on the glass. Thought it was due to
      dirty rubbers but even after extensive cleaning of them and the glass, the problem persisted.
      Took it into VW Service yesterday since it was raining and they could directly see the problem.
      They told me to come back Friday and they would install two new wipers at no charge. It seems
      they presently only had one in stock or else they would have installed it yesterday.

Vehicles
      2012 2.5L Beetle, 2006 2.5L New Beetle, 1998 New Beetle
      10-03-2012 08:25 AM #2
      Seems odd it was the blades so soon...
      "Just look at those wheels!"

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      10-03-2012 10:16 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by the beet View Post
      Seems odd it was the blades so soon...
      I thought it could have been to too much 'spring' tension holding them to the
      glass but I didn't get a chance to talk to the guy who examined it and maybe he
      believed a change to all the components is what the replacement involves? Will
      know more on Friday. Other than the now long gone window motor problem, the
      only other 'minor' problem I've had with the car over the last eight months was
      a discolored section of the passenge side mirror's plastic base and after getting
      that replaced, no more problem in that area as well. No squeaks or rattles have
      I ever experienced so I must give VW a good mark for a quality build.

Vehicles
      2013 Red Turbo Beetle, 2013 Yellow 2.5 (Tweety) Beetle2010 CSG GTI
      10-03-2012 10:37 AM #4
      Good service and good reliability, window issue resolved. My 2010 GTI, almost 2 and half years old and the only issue i had was a small piece of the firewall covering was loose on one corner.

Maybe all of the wiper components, other than blades are OK, but after installing new blades and it still does it, might require further investigation.

+1 on quality of build, hopefully we will feel the same after receiving the turbo beetle.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Turbo Beetle
      10-03-2012 10:53 AM #5
      had the exact same problem when I brought mine home, they would squeak and stutter.
      Took it to my dealership and they said they fixed it but it still stutters

ill try one more time with them and then just do it myself

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      10-03-2012 11:23 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Skimmy290 View Post
      had the exact same problem when I brought mine home, they would squeak and stutter.
      Took it to my dealership and they said they fixed it but it still stutters

ill try one more time with them and then just do it myself
      Did they change only the rubber inserts.......or the whole wiper assembly?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Turbo Beetle
      10-03-2012 04:01 PM #7
      just the rubber i believe
      going back in a couple days for the window and i'll have to talk to them again about it

such a simple thing i know
      but my friend bought a gti from this dealership and had the same issue
      1 month later his wiper scratched his front glass

so hoping to avoid that situation altogether

Vehicles
      ERMAHGERD_I_HAS_YELA_FROG_LIGHTS
      10-04-2012 10:44 AM #8
      When I worked for a dealership we would see allot of people come in with new cars with bad blades. This is do to the fact that the cars sit on the lot some longer then others. The blades never move so you have the sun beating on them if it rains all the dirt around them gets caked on. Just typical things that is not good for blades. Then you have this curve ball we had people that would come onto the lot at night and swap there blades with a new car on the lot and it would be on camera. It was a joke because it was a small enough offense that it was never worth pursuing. Volkswagen offers free replacement. There is a time frame that I can't think of off the top of my head it has been 9months since I have been out of dealership land lol. This was common though.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      10-04-2012 12:00 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by LEBlackRob View Post
      When I worked for a dealership we would see allot of people come in with new cars with bad blades. This is do to the fact that the cars sit on the lot some longer then others. The blades never move so you have the sun beating on them if it rains all the dirt around them gets caked on. Just typical things that is not good for blades. Then you have this curve ball we had people that would come onto the lot at night and swap there blades with a new car on the lot and it would be on camera. It was a joke because it was a small enough offense that it was never worth pursuing. Volkswagen offers free replacement. There is a time frame that I can't think of off the top of my head it has been 9months since I have been out of dealership land lol. This was common though.
      They swapped out my blades today and no more stuttering. There was no charge but the
      service rep told me that in the future, no free replacement for stuttering rubber blades would
      be available again. He said VW is not that customer friendly when it comes to wiper blades.