Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Airbag Error with dash light from unplugging battery?

Vehicles
      2003 GTi
      10-03-2012 09:21 AM #1
      Hey there,

My wife just got a 2011 2.5L Golf a few months back and i was throwing a stereo into it the other day, and it came out real nice (pictures below) - im a professional at this stuff, but not a pro vw mechanic.

i did two things, i unplugged the battery for a little while, and i took off the trim for the raido and the piece below it where the passenger airbag light info is.

after i put it back together (i used all my own wiring, the only thing i tapped was the speaker wires after the raido) and now i have an airbag warning.

my wife found a little reset trick, turn the key to ignition, hold down the button to the right of the guage cluster that looks like two squares, within 20 seconds press the button to the left of the guage cluster, and turn the ignition off - or something real close to that. we tried it, and the light goes out for a few seconds and comes right back.

we need to get the inspection re-done and we will not pass with the airbag light on. the car has only like 10,000 miles on it and i called the VW dealership thats local to me (checkered flag in virgina beach) and maybe we can have them hook up to their VCDS\VAGCOM and reset the warning?

does anyone have any ideas?

Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI MT
      10-03-2012 10:08 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by wr3ck View Post
      Hey there,

My wife just got a 2011 2.5L Golf a few months back and i was throwing a stereo into it the other day, and it came out real nice (pictures below) - im a professional at this stuff, but not a pro vw mechanic.

i did two things, i unplugged the battery for a little while, and i took off the trim for the raido and the piece below it where the passenger airbag light info is.

after i put it back together (i used all my own wiring, the only thing i tapped was the speaker wires after the raido) and now i have an airbag warning.

my wife found a little reset trick, turn the key to ignition, hold down the button to the right of the guage cluster that looks like two squares, within 20 seconds press the button to the left of the guage cluster, and turn the ignition off - or something real close to that. we tried it, and the light goes out for a few seconds and comes right back.

we need to get the inspection re-done and we will not pass with the airbag light on. the car has only like 10,000 miles on it and i called the VW dealership thats local to me (checkered flag in virgina beach) and maybe we can have them hook up to their VCDS\VAGCOM and reset the warning?

does anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like the light for the passenger airbag got unplugged when you removed the radio trim. Easy fix with VCDS.. just need to clear codes and you're set.

Edit: That is a really clean set-up!
      1985 Golf | 1996 Golf | 1997 Jetta Trek | 2005 GTI | 2012 3.6 SEL B7 Passat | '11 CW Autobahn GTI

Vehicles
      2003 GTi
      10-03-2012 02:15 PM #3
      could you tell me spcifically what i need to do in the vcds menu to rest this?

there are a few cool people from NJ that i met at H2Oi last weekedn and i happen to be driving by where one of them lives that has a vcds. just wanna make sure im doing it right :p

Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI MT
      10-03-2012 03:49 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by wr3ck View Post
      could you tell me spcifically what i need to do in the vcds menu to rest this?

there are a few cool people from NJ that i met at H2Oi last weekedn and i happen to be driving by where one of them lives that has a vcds. just wanna make sure im doing it right :p
      Go to the Select Control Module -> Installed -> 15 Airbag, Clear Codes. This should fix the issue. Also, you can reach out to Ross-Tech on here. I believe there is a thread going around with VCDS Tweaks. There is a lot of helpful info in there as well. Good luck!
      1985 Golf | 1996 Golf | 1997 Jetta Trek | 2005 GTI | 2012 3.6 SEL B7 Passat | '11 CW Autobahn GTI

Vehicles
      2003 GTi
      10-03-2012 06:31 PM #5
      thanks a million dude. i really hope i can get a person who is local with a vcds to clear that for me. it seems like 5 minutes of time to take care of this and the dealership wants to charge me $120!!

thanks a lot checkered flag!!

Vehicles
      2003 GTi
      10-04-2012 10:07 PM #6
      turns out that it was the air bag passenger seat illumination indicator that is under the HVAC controls on the center console. it literally took 2 minutes to fix. plug in the VCDS, airbag15 like he said, read faults, and clear. it took more time for the guy to walk to the car with his laptop and plug in the OBD2 port than to clear the codes. i gave him $20 for helping me out.

*DO NOT UNPLUG THIS AND APPLY POWER TO THE CARS, OR ANY OTHER DEVICE THAT IS IN THE AIRBAG CIRCUIT! YOU WILL HAVE AN AIRBAG ERROR!*

thanks for the help everyone

and thanks to whitehead vw on first colonial.
      https://plus.google.com/106364402101...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI MT
      10-05-2012 08:10 PM #7
      Glad it all worked out man!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      1984 4 Door Rabbit Deisel L, 2012 2 door CSG GTI 6spd
      10-06-2012 08:33 AM #8
      I know when i installed my sub and had the battery disconnected for a while I had a bunch of warning lights... i read on another forum all you had to do was drive it over like 10-15 mph and they all went away... which they did

(cant remember what error lights they were though)

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6MT DBM
      10-06-2012 11:00 AM #9
      What box is that? Looks perfect