Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Back in the Day TOP DAWGS need to return

Vehicles
      2003 VW gti BAGGED
      10-03-2012 09:28 AM #1
      I think the whole Top Dawg thing has gone down hill dramatically.. I remember when top dawg cars were built by individuals and friends not dropped off at a shop with stacks of cash to have the work done for them. they were also driven to the show not trailered to the show.. They were rides of originality, class, and quality work, There were a huge amount of cars in the show field who i felt deserved more spotlight then those in top dawg this year. I remember when TOP DAWG was something everyone wanted to strive to achieve. Now it seems like nothing but a plethora of shop builds. I think top dawg needs to go back to how it was. For those that remember the original top dawgs whats your opinion.

I have to give huge props to joe adams cause i know the work HE has put into his car and i know the HE built his car and i know that HE worked hard to fund his car so he was deserving of 1st place
      Quote Originally Posted by briggs rabbit View Post
      I really dont think N.W. A. is to blame nor Slick Rick... and easy mtyhr fukn E is dead. The blame lies within the lyrics of Slayer, W.A.S.P., Megadeath. And Irion Maden Brain washing The younger generation into ASSHATERY.ex. drinking using drugs and ofcourse regressing into early stages of toddler hood ( whinning).............. But thats why the forums are here

Vehicles
      black blob
      10-03-2012 09:37 AM #2
      I know that a lot of people complain about a MK4 winning top dawg (not directed to OP), but Joe and his car definitely deserve what it gets. Even though its a MK4, he has put more time, thought, and rare/custom parts into that car than a lot of even older cars. Not to mention that it has gone through more (tasteful) changes and stages in the past few years than a lot of cars go through in a lifetime. It may be a newer car, but you don't see that many of them modded and changed to the extent that he has done.

3. 10-03-2012 09:39 AM #3
      John, with the black b5 s4 may not have had the flashiest car, but every single component that went into his car was built, assembled, installed or fabricated with his own hands. He was selected to Top Dawg, which he considered a huge honour.

The paint on his car was original (not bad for 11yrs), he drove it from Michigan and it has a 128k miles.

The 1st place winner was extremely deserving and possibly one of the cleanest flowing cars I have seen.

Vehicles
      2003 VW gti BAGGED
      10-03-2012 09:47 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by GTDuBZ View Post
      John, with the black b5 s4 may not have had the flashiest car, but every single component that went into his car was built, assembled, installed or fabricated with his own hands. He was selected to Top Dawg, which he considered a huge honour.

The paint on his car was original (not bad for 11yrs), he drove it from Michigan and it has a 128k miles.

The 1st place winner was extremely deserving and possibly one of the cleanest flowing cars I have seen.
      Dont get me wrong there were a few cars that deserved to be in that line-up and the two you are talking about i completely agree with...the issue is i dont feel like "top dawg" still holds its coveted title like it used to back in the day..when i was younger and just starting out "top dawg" was a completely different thing...it was a show inside of a show..with driver/owner interviews and it was just a whole different caliber back then compared to what it is now..IMO
      I really dont think N.W. A. is to blame nor Slick Rick... and easy mtyhr fukn E is dead. The blame lies within the lyrics of Slayer, W.A.S.P., Megadeath. And Irion Maden Brain washing The younger generation into ASSHATERY.ex. drinking using drugs and ofcourse regressing into early stages of toddler hood ( whinning).............. But thats why the forums are here

5. 10-03-2012 09:53 AM #5
      I have only been to two H20i so I won't argue with you. I came in second with a bone stock CC last year in my category, so I am no where knowledgeable or capable of commenting on the criteria of Top Dawg.

However, I think that the performance shop builds should have their own category - it would be fun to see the shops go all out with their builds (but have to be driven and not trailered). It would be a VAG version of Top Tuners I guess.

Vehicles
      1979 rabbit VR6T, 2007 B6 passat 3.6L 4mo wagon (dd)
      10-03-2012 09:59 AM #6
      Sure there was a ton of td worthy cars this year, but how many showed up at the BBQ? That's the first main requirement. I know Jason and crew pick the cars, and you won't find a better judge than Charlie.

I had a car in td back in 09 think I Placed 4th. Most of the cars where trailered in, while I enjoyed cruising the strip all weekend, but wether the car is built in your garage or by a shop it will be considered by what is presented at the BBQ. I know the judging staff won't take extra consideration on if it's built or bought. I think it's a fair way. The td cars usually have a buzz going for them long before h20. Shows like cult classic and vag fair are good predictors of what cars will make the cut.
      Instagram @vw_bronson

7. 10-03-2012 10:00 AM #7
      this was my favorite top dawg contender from previous years

Vehicles
      2003 VW gti BAGGED
      10-03-2012 10:12 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by panzer 2.3 View Post
      Sure there was a ton of td worthy cars this year, but how many showed up at the BBQ? That's the first main requirement. I know Jason and crew pick the cars, and you won't find a better judge than Charlie.

I had a car in td back in 09 think I Placed 4th. Most of the cars where trailered in, while I enjoyed cruising the strip all weekend, but wether the car is built in your garage or by a shop it will be considered by what is presented at the BBQ. I know the judging staff won't take extra consideration on if it's built or bought. I think it's a fair way. The td cars usually have a buzz going for them long before h20. Shows like cult classic and vag fair are good predictors of what cars will make the cut.
      thats my problem...I dont feel "shop" build cars belong in TD...and there seems to be more and more "shop" build TD cars every year. thats just my opinion though..i feel as though SHOPS normally have more $$$ and way more hands involved then Bills backyard/garage build....

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 10:50 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by vwguygti98 View Post
      thats my problem...I dont feel "shop" build cars belong in TD...and there seems to be more and more "shop" build TD cars every year. thats just my opinion though..i feel as though SHOPS normally have more $$$ and way more hands involved then Bills backyard/garage build....
      That's a problem throughout the entire car scene. You'll have individual builds going against full shop customs. It's never right IMO, but it's that way in the car,truck, bike world etc... The only way to combat it will be a shop car class, but that will never happen. Even individuals get hook ups through sponsorships from time to time. Best way to beat the big shops is creativity IMO. $$$ can't buy u style, and the true enthusiasts know what is built vs bought.
      Instagram @vw_bronson

Vehicles
      mk4 r32t /mk6 dsg golf tdi
      10-03-2012 11:24 AM #10
      that blue 20th was god damn FLAWLESS ... however the fact that there were like 20 people having their hands on it cleaning it all wearing shirts like the plate "20th2NV" was preettttttttttttttyyyy tacky .. thats seriously your plate? ... and when i asked one of them the specs/hp he just said 800 hp but its not tuned 100% .. wtf .. 800+ hp out of a 24v 2.8?? and you are putting it down to the FRONT wheels? what the hell kind of nonsense is that .. you might as well build a car that doesnt drive .. oh wait .. you guys trailered it there .. thats why

on some real **** though it was immaculate and ridiculous at the same time...

the winner deserved to win though .. hes been in contention for top dawg a few years in a row right? well now that he won he cant be entered in next year now right?

i seriously thought he was on aristos at first and was like WHAT IS HE DOING?!?! .. then realized they were RSI wheels and got a lil jelly

the blue jettas bay was amazing (good work jason and the 4evercustoms dudes!) but the bumpers on that car made me seriously laugh .. reiger rear molded bumper horrible front bumper choice there .. some oem bora R bumpers would clean that up 100%

the other cars didnt really make me look twice at .. i saw nicer cars in the woods or ripping burnouts on the street
      Last edited by JDM-JTI; 10-03-2012 at 11:27 AM.

11. 10-03-2012 11:29 AM #11
      I've been selected to compete in Top Dawg the past two years. I personally don't think my car compares to most of the other competitors, but I am honored to have been chosen. I daily drive my car and have put 50,000 miles on it in the last three years. I certaily think I'm out classed by the others due to money, time, and mechanical experience, but at the same time being picked to compete with that kind of caliber speaks for itself. I really do try my hardest to keep my car clean and as immaculate as I can, because that's just the way I am. At the end of the day you should want to build the car for you and give your own personality into it and if you get picked for something like that, than awesome. I'm not really one for competition, but If my car is noticed by others in that way, it's just a bonus.

Vehicles
      MK4 R32, '14 Jeep
      10-03-2012 11:33 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by JDM-JTI View Post
      that blue 20th was god damn FLAWLESS ... however the fact that there were like 20 people having their hands on it cleaning it all wearing shirts like the plate "20th2NV" was preettttttttttttttyyyy tacky .. thats seriously your plate? ... and when i asked one of them the specs/hp he just said 800 hp but its not tuned 100% .. wtf .. 800+ hp out of a 24v 2.8?? and you are putting it down to the FRONT wheels? what the hell kind of nonsense is that .. you might as well build a car that doesnt drive .. oh wait .. you guys trailered it there .. thats why

on some real **** though it was immaculate and ridiculous at the same time...
      Yup. Just tons of money and parts thrown at a car imo. Didn't really flow well and and I saw the same car a few years ago at FCF and had the same reaction then.

As for that blue Jetta with the chromed bay and stuff, another big meh. Twin G60 Corrado and the RHD one were both awesome though and Joe's win was well-deserved
      Flickr™
      DubCult.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 11:45 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by 07silverbullet View Post
      I've been selected to compete in Top Dawg the past two years. I personally don't think my car compares to most of the other competitors, but I am honored to have been chosen. I daily drive my car and have put 50,000 miles on it in the last three years. I certaily think I'm out classed by the others due to money, time, and mechanical experience, but at the same time being picked to compete with that kind of caliber speaks for itself. I really do try my hardest to keep my car clean and as immaculate as I can, because that's just the way I am. At the end of the day you should want to build the car for you and give your own personality into it and if you get picked for something like that, than awesome. I'm not really one for competition, but If my car is noticed by others in that way, it's just a bonus.
      Class act Rich
      Instagram @vw_bronson

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 11:46 AM #14
      At the end of the day you should want to build the car for you and give your own personality into it and if you get picked for something like that, than awesome. I'm not really one for competition, but If my car is noticed by others in that way, it's just a bonus.
      exactly

i feel like the blue 20ths sole purpose is to win shows and not even be enjoyed driving

Vehicles
      Silverstone B5.5 Passat
      10-03-2012 12:07 PM #15
      I know personally that Doug (rhd rado) has worked relentlessly on every aspect of his car and was definitely deserving of his spot in TD. The amount of work that has went into that thing within the past year is amazing and in no way did he try to pull any shortcuts when building it.
      Quote Originally Posted by spicygimp View Post
      Maybe the walk of shame will teach him not to f**k with PA!

Vehicles
      91 Golf, 07 328xi Coupe
      10-03-2012 12:08 PM #16
      my throw back inspiration....the green one obviously - for the newbs.

two cars, built by friends for friends.
      running 114

top dawg will never be the same unless it is on the front porch of the race track again....

to each is own though....
      Last edited by rhiGLi; 10-03-2012 at 12:20 PM.
      www.4everkustoms.com - polishing, chrome, copper, brass, POWDER COATING, and more!
      top dawg 09 and 10eurotuner 1/07 pvw 2/10 eurotuner 5/12

17. 10-03-2012 12:15 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by rhiGLi View Post
      top dawg will never be the same unless it is on the front porch of the race track again....
      this
      Joosey - DubAudi - Banchwerks - ForceFed Engineering - HighwayStar

PVW 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by uzi did it View Post
      you can compare me to kobe bryant of the vw world. i'm just that good.

Vehicles
      2003 VW gti BAGGED
      10-03-2012 12:26 PM #18
      [QUOTE top dawg will never be the same unless it is on the front porch of the race track again....

to each is own though....[/QUOTE]

I think that right there is the truth....i dont want people to think im bashing anyones car or saying none of those cars belonged in TD as i have never been selected for TD and probably will since im speaking of TD so i cannot speak for what that must feel like...but i guess thats what i am missing..The front porch and the race track....

Vehicles
      Danger Ranger
      10-03-2012 12:35 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by aar0n. View Post
      Yup. Just tons of money and parts thrown at a car imo. Didn't really flow well and and I saw the same car a few years ago at FCF and had the same reaction then.

As for that blue Jetta with the chromed bay and stuff, another big meh. Twin G60 Corrado and the RHD one were both awesome though and Joe's win was well-deserved
      im sorry but that car is a perfect example of $$ cant buy style....the wide body is a horrible copy of the two european wide bodies built by RS-Tuning....the engine looked like someone thru the entire thing in a chrome vat....the bumpers fit like like shat....the fact that he couldnt even drive the car from OC out to the show grounds to me is reason enough to not be a TD competitor....i know that will never be a factor in that equation, b/c half of the SEMA cars get pushed into the show there....

yes, i trailered my wide body car up to OCMD from SC, only due to the motor only having 300miles on the engine....however once in town, i drove out to Salisbury air port to pick up my fiance, then we cruised the rest of friday/night....put over 150miles on the car that day alone....then lost oil pressure in the car so i parked it for the weekend....could have trailered it out to the BBQ and done the same thing the JB abortion did...sure, but i built my car to drive, if i can not drive it into the show, then its not going...(please dont think i am elluding my car was TD worthy, it is not)

i agree that there have been some sub par cars in the past few years....

/rant

HUGE CONGRATS to Joe! such a well deserving car and guy!

wish i could have seen all the TD cars though...didnt even go out to the show sunday....

Vehicles
      90 Corrado VR6, 93 Corrado VR6 (SOLD), 05 GLI,88 Quantum Syncro, 87 Cabriolet, 03 jetta wagon
      10-03-2012 12:38 PM #20
      Well said Rich

Quote Originally Posted by VRDubssat View Post
      I know personally that Doug (rhd rado) has worked relentlessly on every aspect of his car and was definitely deserving of his spot in TD. The amount of work that has went into that thing within the past year is amazing and in no way did he try to pull any shortcuts when building it.
      Thanks Adam
      Denny's Garage Facebook
      RHD BUILD
      instagram:@drw_corrado
      WTB Canadian corrado recaro

Vehicles
      funbagged A4
      10-03-2012 12:57 PM #21
      I loved that blue 20th, but watching it roll into a garage next to my hotel Saturday really killed it for me. Literally only shows up to contend, that was their only concern...and the car barely started up.

Don't get me wrong, every car in that line up was AMAZING in every sense of the word (that purple mk4 was but the engine bay was banana's). Personal fav was the red Rado, god I love that thing.

Vehicles
      91 VR6 EA cabriolet, 93 SLC Corrado
      10-03-2012 12:59 PM #22
      i rarely ever post here but i feel like i had to just agree with you, mainly because the whole weekend is "the show" the actual event gets worse off every year.

but the actual show/event is turned into something else. it's becoming so blah..

i do believe that top dog is supposed to be the car that makes your knees get soft your heart beat a little faster, you mouth water.. all that.. the cars that get chosen for top dog i think are the people who devote time a money into it, not just the car but the follow through. showing up playing the games yadda yadda. buying into the scene. most of all doing what the cars is for enjoying it.. i never believed VW's to be trailer queens

someplace along the line people who everyone thinks "deserve" first place started falling off. whatever the reasoning is. the cars that "show" are getting fewer and fewer every year. the "show" itself is getting smaller thus the cars that are winning might not be what everyone "wants" to win but the picking is slim.

i think this does 2 things..
      makes the ones that do show, insanely modified and everyone has massive amounts of work done to it in itself deserves a trophy of their own
      and 2 omits the kids that don't have top dollar to do all the mods cause why should they compete when the dude who drops his car off at the local mk4,5,6 shop to buy every magazine mod off the shelf is gonna win first place.

every "contestant" for top dog i think could have taken first place i believe they are all hard working kids, in the end someones gotta loose. (can be oly one)

it bothers me the same way it bothers you but in the end are we going to sign up to be judges? tell our friends they NEED to buy into the show? create a voice that WILL change the way things are ran? or just wait till next year and watch it happen again
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...3#post85213503
      Lotus Tattoo
      Sayville NY
      instagramell - Anthony_Mealie

Vehicles
      black blob
      10-03-2012 12:59 PM #23
      What is this blue 20th? I don't think I have any idea what it is

Vehicles
      Pan Scraper
      10-03-2012 01:27 PM #24
      Pics of TD contenders and winner?

Vehicles
      MK4 R32, '14 Jeep
      10-03-2012 01:35 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by alankitzmiller View Post
      What is this blue 20th? I don't think I have any idea what it is
      The one on 3 piece BLQs with huge pulled fenders that went halfway up the bodyline, polished cage, shaved bay with an 3.2 turbo swap mated to a 5 speed

Flickr™
      DubCult.

Vehicles
      A1, A3
      10-03-2012 01:37 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by xamx View Post

i do believe that top dog is supposed to be the car that makes your knees get soft your heart beat a little faster, you mouth water.. all that..
      this
      |CHA BOI|KHROME|RIMZOS|
      |Instagram: DEMRIMZ|

|my build|

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 01:44 PM #27
      The one on 3 piece BLQs with huge pulled fenders that went halfway up the bodyline, polished cage, shaved bay with an 3.2 turbo swap mated to a 5 speed

it wasnt a 3.2 ... or at least one of the guys in the blue shirts was misinformed .. i asked and he said it was a 24v .. i said 2.8 24v? and he said yeah .. i then asked if it had a awd swap and he said no and i laughed at him .. all that work and money and you kept the car front wheel drive ..

Vehicles
      Danger Ranger
      10-03-2012 01:45 PM #28
      oh Aaron your going to get me going! UGH!

aluminum bolt together cage...worthless
      huge turbo on a motor that barely runs, and no water line hooked up - FAIL
      5spd, really? why bother???
      oh and the air setup is a dual paddle single gauge dual needle setup...come on, you have $5k worth of chrome and a $5k set of wheels on the car and you cant pony up and get a digital management setup....

oh and the attempt at hardlines on the brakes....

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 01:49 PM #29
      wait what .. it was a 5 speed? was it a o2m? did they even make o2ms in 5 speed? i did hear him start it up and pull outta there after the show was over .. thing was struggling .. guess he needs to call jeff at UM to get that thing running right

Vehicles
      Danger Ranger
      10-03-2012 01:54 PM #30
      wait what .. it was a 5 speed? was it a o2m? did they even make o2ms in 5 speed? i did hear him start it up and pull outta there after the show was over .. thing was struggling .. guess he needs to call jeff at UM to get that thing running right
      o2m is a 6sp only...this was a 5spd, likely from a 12v motor...the bell housings are the same....or should be...

Vehicles
      MK4 R32, '14 Jeep
      10-03-2012 01:57 PM #31
      Yeah I don't understand the 5 speed thing since it's a 20th that came with an O2M but that's what I kept hearing all day
      Flickr™
      DubCult.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 01:59 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by fouckhest View Post
      o2m is a 6sp only...this was a 5spd, likely from a 12v motor...the bell housings are the same....or should be...
      right but its a 24v .. didnt all 24vs (04 GLI / later mk4 VR6s) only come with o2m 6 speeds? and judging by the way the coilpacks sit it is a 24v 2.8 .. the 3.2s sit more straight up .. that seems like a step backwards ... god i cant even think of the monster you could of built with the amount of money put into that car

Vehicles
      MK4 R32, '14 Jeep
      10-03-2012 02:02 PM #33
      right but its a 24v .. didnt all 24vs (04 GLI / later mk4 VR6s) only come with o2m 6 speeds? and judging by the way the coilpacks sit it is a 24v 2.8 .. the 3.2s sit more straight up .. that seems like a step backwards ... god i cant even think of the monster you could of built with the amount of money put into that car
      You can definitely do an O2J to a 24v with the correct bell housing but it makes no sense to do with a build like that lol
      Flickr™
      DubCult.

Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '12 Beetle, '91 Passat
      10-03-2012 02:03 PM #34
      Shame there's all that potential in the bay and the car isn't/can't even be driven. I just don't see the point in building a car with insane amounts of power and then just letting it idle on/off the trailer

And the 20 people wearing tshirts for the car was really cheesy. I understand everyone being excited but come on...
      // Open Road Tuning
      Instagram: @bryangb
      bags and wheels = build thread

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 02:08 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post

And the 20 people wearing tshirts for the car was really cheesy. I understand everyone being excited but come on...
      Last edited by JDM-JTI; 10-03-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast