Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Back in the Day TOP DAWGS need to return

Vehicles
      1979 rabbit VR6T, 2007 B6 passat 3.6L 4mo wagon (dd)
      10-03-2012 03:11 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by JDM-JTI View Post

whats even worse is when you dont place and you had that big of a crowd following you
      Call me crazy, but I think that girl Paige had a nicer 20th
      DCIVW Eastside

Vehicles
      2000 Audi S4
      10-03-2012 03:13 PM #37
      right but its a 24v .. didnt all 24vs (04 GLI / later mk4 VR6s) only come with o2m 6 speeds? and judging by the way the coilpacks sit it is a 24v 2.8 .. the 3.2s sit more straight up .. that seems like a step backwards ... god i cant even think of the monster you could of built with the amount of money put into that car

This guy here is straight hatin. You don't have a show car . You wish you did though. Kid.
      Last edited by mya2gti; 10-03-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Vehicles
      mk4 r32t /mk6 dsg golf tdi
      10-03-2012 03:22 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by mya2gti View Post
      This guy here is straight hatin. You don't have a show car . You wish you did though. Kid.
      i don't own a show car .. i do own your old valve cover though

i drive my car every week and i beat the hell out of it

just hating on people trailering their vws to shows... if it doesnt run .. dont show it

Vehicles
      Danger Ranger
      10-03-2012 03:22 PM #39
      your missing the point...JDM-JTI is only pointing out that it makes no sense to use the trans he did on the motor and turbo....is a 1.8t trans coupled to a monster motor....anyone that builds a 1.8t let along a turbo vr6 switches to an 02m...

get your facts straight...kid

5. Member
      Vehicles
      A4 B5 V6
      10-03-2012 03:37 PM #40
      I'm just wondering, does a show only car really need to run? It's only purpose is to look pretty...

As far as top dawg goes. I don't think shop cars should be judged in a show that built around enthusiasts. I'm not saying they can't be there, it's just not fair to the guys that build their own cars.

Vehicles
      00/Jetta
      10-03-2012 03:42 PM #41
      Joe def. was a well deserved win. And I have a feeling the judges take notice that he has built effort into that car for years and he only continues to make it better. You could walk around Joe's car 20 times and still probably miss the smallest detail.
      DEADBUILT

Vehicles
      91 Golf, 07 328xi Coupe
      10-03-2012 03:46 PM #42
      lifes not fair, and the show isnt about enthusiasts any more either. its about toolboxes and who can get drunk and do something stupid, and judging by a lot of these threads, about imports.

just sayin....

shop built or not. enthusiast or short term scenester making a splash. a nice car is a nice car. thats why the show field exists. top dawg is best of the best (yes, open to debate every year, i understand...) but if its money and time thrown at the car, then so be it. if you dont have the money or the time to get a car into the top, get it in the show field and compete there. thats why theres so many classes for so many cars. you cant compare the two different builds really.
      www.4everkustoms.com - polishing, chrome, copper, brass, POWDER COATING, and more!
      top dawg 09 and 10eurotuner 1/07 pvw 2/10 eurotuner 5/12

Vehicles
      91 Golf, 07 328xi Coupe
      10-03-2012 03:46 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by woody89 View Post
      Joe def. was a well deserved win. And I have a feeling the judges take notice that he has built effort into that car for years and he only continues to make it better. You could walk around Joe's car 20 times and still probably miss the smallest detail.
      x2
      www.4everkustoms.com - polishing, chrome, copper, brass, POWDER COATING, and more!

Vehicles
      1979 rabbit VR6T, 2007 B6 passat 3.6L 4mo wagon (dd)
      10-03-2012 04:07 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by rhiGLi View Post
      lifes not fair, and the show isnt about enthusiasts any more either. its about toolboxes and who can get drunk and do something stupid, and judging by a lot of these threads, about imports.
      Aren't VW imports too lol? I know what you meant baker
      DCIVW Eastside

Vehicles
      91 Golf, 07 328xi Coupe
      10-03-2012 04:09 PM #45

11. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      M3
      10-03-2012 04:18 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by fouckhest View Post
      o2m is a 6sp only...this was a 5spd, likely from a 12v motor...the bell housings are the same....or should be...
      Actually, Houcker, you can buy just the bell housing from Germany, it's not too expensive. I know, because I looked into it a few years back...

12. 10-03-2012 04:23 PM #47
      The car in question is def. a 24v. The injector angles on the fuel rail give it away.

Vehicles
      Danger Ranger
      10-03-2012 04:28 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@ORT View Post
      Actually, Houcker, you can buy just the bell housing from Germany, it's not too expensive. I know, because I looked into it a few years back...
      yeah i knew it could be done...just on a vr expert....either way....does not compute to me some of the choices made....and that swarm of blue shirts is pretty much hilarious!

p.s. - check your email!

14. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      M3
      10-03-2012 04:33 PM #49
      It works both ways, but in the end one would think the O2M swap would be worth it if you're going to go 'all the way'.

Got your email dude bud.

Vehicles
      Danger Ranger
      10-03-2012 04:35 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@ORT View Post
      It works both ways, but in the end one would think the O2M swap would be worth it if you're going to go 'all the way'.

Got your email dude bud.
      that was my point! if your going to dump that kind of $$ into a car...do it right....but i guess if its only "make it clean" then either will work...but would laugh to see someone try and put 500+ HP thru an o2j

sounds good, just checkin!

16. 10-03-2012 04:48 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by rhiGLi View Post

just sayin....

shop built or not. enthusiast or short term scenester making a splash. a nice car is a nice car. thats why the show field exists. top dawg is best of the best (yes, open to debate every year, i understand...) but if its money and time thrown at the car, then so be it. if you dont have the money or the time to get a car into the top, get it in the show field and compete there. thats why theres so many classes for so many cars. you cant compare the two different builds really.

Truth be told on both accounts.

It is to much to ask to exclude shop cars from individual builds, not all of us are created equal. I for one don't know much about mechanical work. Some pay to get the work done some get the work done themselves either way your own time and money is being put in. And how is a shop built car not personal. You still chose what parts go on your car and how you want it done.
      IG @GTIzlatko
      www.4everkustoms.com Chrome Plating. Polishing and Powder-coating. Air-Ride installs

LOW-FAMILIA
      WFSU

Vehicles
      94 golf sport rhd vrt. 13 tdi sportwagen
      10-03-2012 05:04 PM #52
      piss and moan.... ****ing people are never happy. Hand build your car to bang with "shop cars" or build your "shop car" to bang with the best self built cars or gtfo. A nice car is a nice car dosent matter if mommy and daddys money built it, flipping birds built it, working your ass off and paying someone buit it, or if you cashed in your check on the 1st of the month and built it. Someone put in that work.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      A4 B5 V6
      10-03-2012 05:05 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIzlatko View Post
      Truth be told on both accounts.

It is to much to ask to exclude shop cars from individual builds, not all of us are created equal. I for one don't know much about mechanical work. Some pay to get the work done some get the work done themselves either way your own time and money is being put in. And how is a shop built car not personal. You still chose what parts go on your car and how you want it done.
      The ones that pay a shop to build their car are (most of the time) the ones who are the most arrogant. They can't tell you specs of the car just the parts on it. And half the time they don't know that lol. There's nothing wrong with getting some stuff done at a shop. Some stuff just can't be done at home. My point is.....Don't talk about your shop built car like you built it.

Vehicles
      04 NB, 06 GTI, 11 CC Executive, 10 Routan, 91 Cabriolet EA edition
      10-03-2012 05:07 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by panzer 2.3 View Post
      I guess I don't know enough, but I liked the blue 20th.

I'm also not mechanically inclined enough to build a car...so I'm a "bought not built" girl. I hope to be in Top Dawg at some point.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 05:11 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaC View Post
      I guess I don't know enough, but I liked the blue 20th.

I'm also not mechanically inclined enough to build a car...so I'm a "bought not built" girl. I hope to be in Top Dawg at some point.
      dont get it twisted .. the blue 20th was pretty much flawless .. i stared off into space into the bay for a few minutes .. almost got lost ..literally everything has been touched on that car and replaced with a better bit.. just a few things about it didnt quite make sense .. hopefully he will bring it back next year and this time it will be running mint and he can drive it in.
      Last edited by JDM-JTI; 10-03-2012 at 05:15 PM.

10-03-2012 05:16 PM #56
      I personally think if the car cant be driven normally regardless of it being trailerd there or not, it shouldnt be in top dawg. These are suppose to be the best of the best cars, how is a car that doesnt run or barely runs better than any car that runs like a top regardless of its wheels, chrome, polished, plated, body work, interior or w.e else is done. If it isnt running like a top its not complete and a not complete car should not be in a best of the best competition becuase its not the best.
      VWFiends :::: Flickr

Alexi DeRochambeau will always be the BOSS.

Vehicles
      MK4 R32, '14 Jeep
      10-03-2012 05:26 PM #57
      dont get it twisted .. the blue 20th was pretty much flawless .. i stared off into space into the bay for a few minutes .. almost got lost ..literally everything has been touched on that car and replaced with a better bit.. just a few things about it didnt quite make sense .. hopefully he will bring it back next year and this time it will be running mint and he can drive it in.
      Ehhhh flawless is really pushing it. fouckhest already pointed out a ton of stuff that wasn't up to snuff with it a few posts up and the fit and finish was weak for something with that much work in it. Pretty sure it was trailered around the last time I saw it at a show a few years ago so I doubt that'll change?

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 05:47 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by aar0n. View Post
      Ehhhh flawless is really pushing it. fouckhest already pointed out a ton of stuff that wasn't up to snuff with it a few posts up and the fit and finish was weak for something with that much work in it. Pretty sure it was trailered around the last time I saw it at a show a few years ago so I doubt that'll change?
      wait this car has been around for a while? I don't think I have ever seen it at a show before

so what .. does this car have 20 miles on it?

Vehicles
      Danger Ranger
      10-03-2012 05:53 PM #59
      wait this car has been around for a while? I don't think I have ever seen it at a show before

so what .. does this car have 20 miles on it?

lol! it was in, what i would call one of the worst TD's ever, the last year the show was at the track(year the audi w/vr6t in it, but had fake splits)...but the 20th had electrical tape wound around the engine harness where it went into the rain tray....

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 06:00 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by V ScruB View Post
      I personally think if the car cant be driven normally regardless of it being trailerd there or not, it shouldnt be in top dawg. These are suppose to be the best of the best cars, how is a car that doesnt run or barely runs better than any car that runs like a top regardless of its wheels, chrome, polished, plated, body work, interior or w.e else is done. If it isnt running like a top its not complete and a not complete car should not be in a best of the best competition becuase its not the best.
      taken off of the h2o website "Top Dawg Participants are required to drive their car to the area designated. "

so i guess if the car doesnt run .. you cant compete .. but i guess this car runs .. just not well.. Mr. Atwood, calling Mr. Atwood .. sounds like someone could need your assistance

i was curious about the vibrant clamp off the compressor housing though.. does this thing run a TIP with a MAF or is it mafless?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      10-03-2012 06:02 PM #61
      I just wanted to stop by and say this;

I am absolutely besides myself with pride and honor to have been chosen for this year's Top Dawg, let alone to actually place. It has to be one of the most wonderfully humbling milestones in my life so far. But what's even more special to me has been all the great people I've had the chance to meet, gain insight from, talk with, learn from, and just shoot the **** with over the past 2 years I've had the car. You see, that's my real award - having the car be a catalyst to other more important things in life like friendship.

And as far as my car is concerned and the whole built not bought, shop car, whatever argument - my car was built in a shop (Phantom Autowerke, call them for anything, they're awesome!) but you can ask anyone that knows me I worked my ass off getting that car built. I went to the shop every night after my full time job, every weekend, and any free time in between for 11 months straight. I learned SO MUCH from those guys by being involved and asking questions and doing things myself. I know that car better than anyone else and have a whole new found respect for the work a lot of others put into their cars.

Again, thanks to everyone involved with H2O for putting on one hell of a show - Jay, Cory, Jason, etc. and everyone who's helped me build the car I always wanted - Anthony, Lou, Andrew, Dehate, etc.
      Last edited by aVWGTIguy; 10-03-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Vehicles
      g60...
      10-03-2012 06:42 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by VRDubssat View Post
      I know personally that Doug (rhd rado) has worked relentlessly on every aspect of his car and was definitely deserving of his spot in TD. The amount of work that has went into that thing within the past year is amazing and in no way did he try to pull any shortcuts when building it.
      While everyone else complains about which mk4 should have won...this Rado would have had my vote...prob one of my favorite cars of the show...

Next to just about every car Unix built...

Last edited by CTCORRADOKID; 10-03-2012 at 06:45 PM.

28. 10-03-2012 08:28 PM #63
      panzer 2.3

Thanks for the compliment. Paige is my girlfriend and we built her entire car ourselves, but it is nowhere near what Angels 20th is. He is a very cool dude and down to earth. He didn't even wanna bring the car cause its not finished. But his people talked him into it. And for the record his car IS a R32 and yes it is 5spd which is getting changed out. I do agree with what you people are saying. I thought that twin charged mk2 was badass. Everyone was walking past it saying "i cant believe it still has an 8v", and "why do all that to an 8v"......these mk4-5-6 kids need to understand vw history...in the mid 90's you were the man if you had a g60 swap lol maybe i will bring my racecar next year and try for top dawg.....its got a shaved bay and nice paint

Vehicles
      2003 VW gti BAGGED
      10-03-2012 09:54 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by killacoupe View Post
      Thanks for the compliment. Paige is my girlfriend and we built her entire car ourselves, but it is nowhere near what Angels 20th is. He is a very cool dude and down to earth. He didn't even wanna bring the car cause its not finished. But his people talked him into it. And for the record his car IS a R32 and yes it is 5spd which is getting changed out. I do agree with what you people are saying. I thought that twin charged mk2 was badass. Everyone was walking past it saying "i cant believe it still has an 8v", and "why do all that to an 8v"......these mk4-5-6 kids need to understand vw history...in the mid 90's you were the man if you had a g60 swap lol maybe i will bring my racecar next year and try for top dawg.....its got a shaved bay and nice paint
      I am a "MKIV kid" for what it is worth..but I am a person who enjoys all vw's/audis I just happen to really enjoy the mkiv platform...not all MKIV kids are the same but I will say that the younger generation no matter what platform they prefer has no respect for anything or anyone when it comes to hard work and different "original" ideas...the scene as a whole right now

Vehicles
      10-04-2012 12:14 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by killacoupe View Post
      And for the record his car IS a R32
      wait what? its a 20th..? either that or the guys cleaning the car knew nothing about as i asked them questions

Vehicles
      black blob
      10-04-2012 12:24 PM #66
      wait what? its a 20th..? either that or the guys cleaning the car knew nothing about as i asked them questions
      I think that he meant it has a 3.2 (its not though?)... which is still wrong because that doesn't make it an R32. that makes it a vr6 swapped 20th. i don't think he knows what he's talking about all together haha

32. 10-04-2012 12:47 PM #67
      to the guy that said the corrado should of won. It has rust on it therefore will never win

33. 10-04-2012 12:53 PM #68

I dont have a show car either... doesnt mean i dont know quality work when i see it.
      Quote Originally Posted by dirtbaggg View Post
      is there anyway to get a new uni body?

like can yu take the uni body off

Vehicles
      90 Corrado VR6, 93 Corrado VR6 (SOLD), 05 GLI,88 Quantum Syncro, 87 Cabriolet, 03 jetta wagon
      10-04-2012 01:12 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by veedubme View Post
      to the guy that said the corrado should of won. It has rust on it therefore will never win
      I'm not saying I even came close to winnig TD, but where is there rust on my car?
      Denny's Garage Facebook
      RHD BUILD
      instagram:@drw_corrado
      WTB Canadian corrado recaro

Vehicles
      Silverstone B5.5 Passat
      10-04-2012 01:31 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by DRW-CORRADO View Post
      I'm not saying I even came close to winnig TD, but where is there rust on my car?
      x2....

sent from Vaughns mom's phone
      Quote Originally Posted by spicygimp View Post
      Maybe the walk of shame will teach him not to f**k with PA!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast