Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Wastegate door not closing all the way..(?) how can I be certain?

1. 10-03-2012 10:51 AM #1
      I bypassed my TruBoost and put the n75 back in. Now, the boost doesn't build as quickly but it boosts HARD and has lots of power. But it's building so slow at low revs, that it almos feels like the WG door isn't staying closed to help me build boost. Is there anyway I can test to see if its closing all the way?

Vehicles
      1998 Audi A4 QT , 1976 Datsun 280Z ( My Mid-Life Crisis )
      10-03-2012 10:57 AM #2

"...I recommend books. People who don't know what they're talking about are less likely to write a book about the subject...."

Vehicles
      1998 Audi A4 QT , 1976 Datsun 280Z ( My Mid-Life Crisis )
      10-03-2012 11:04 AM #3
      Seriously...I don't know if there's any way to be sure other than removing the turbo and checking it out. There's just so bloody little room in there to check things properly.

I'm going through the same issue myself. I'm suspecting that my linkage is either binding or not closing all the way, as I lose way too much boost as the revs climb. No boost leaks ( pressure checked ) and Turbo is in good shape ( minimal shaft play ).
      "...I recommend books. People who don't know what they're talking about are less likely to write a book about the subject...."

4. 10-03-2012 01:43 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Chickenman35 View Post
      Seriously...I don't know if there's any way to be sure other than removing the turbo and checking it out. There's just so bloody little room in there to check things properly.

I'm going through the same issue myself. I'm suspecting that my linkage is either binding or not closing all the way, as I lose way too much boost as the revs climb. No boost leaks ( pressure checked ) and Turbo is in good shape ( minimal shaft play ).
      In the 225 TT, there is enough room (ask me how I know). Eric just need to unclip the rod to the flapper arm, and rotate the gate back and forth to ensure proper movement and feel a positive stop when the gate closes down. Then, with the gate locked fully closed, clip the actuator rod back in and add 1-2 mm of actuator preload.

Eric, if the changes are only felt when using the N75, this leads me to believe that the culprit is the N75 duty cycle. If the EBC can control the onset to your liking, so can the N75 (maybe not to the same accuracy), as long as the proper duty cycle is preset in the ECU. It is very common for tuners to set weak "cover my ass" N75 duty or "rod friendly" as they like to spin it. If this is the case with you, there isn't much you can do, except bypass or run your EBC in tandem with the N75 to get the boost onset you're looking for.

Vehicles
      02 jetta 1.8t
      10-03-2012 04:16 PM #5
      I had a problem like this where the boost was slow to build long story short my ghl dp flex joint collapsed on the inside leaving a quarter sized hole for the exhaust to go through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      i wish my grass was emo so it would cut it's self

Vehicles
      Rolling Thunder
      10-03-2012 04:47 PM #6
      My car is an stage 2+ 1.8t and im experiencing problems (stock k03)

normally it hits 24psi and hols from 20 to 16 at redline

yesterday out of nowhere it started to have way more lag, now it barely reaches 18 psi and can only hold 9-10 at redline

It does not have any leaks, the turbo just spools way slower

i dont know whats going on, i have been asking and researching and i ended up here

would this be the n75 valve not opening the wastegate? N75 Failing? o_O

WTF
      -2011 MK4.5 1.8T VW Motorsport GLI R Proyect. Codename ".:Rolling Thunder"

-"The ammount of Love, Money and HorsePower We Can Have Is Never Enough" -Sensei Mawy Luna

7. 10-03-2012 10:12 PM #7
      Yeah, the N75 DOES NOT like the F23. I'll be interested in how Gonzo plans to tune with it.

8. 10-04-2012 02:25 PM #8
      So I ran the WG line straight to the boost source. If I hold steady throttle, it bounces around from 8, 9, 10psi. It's super erratic. I'm thinking that my new WG isn't holding boost.

9. 10-04-2012 03:13 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by warranty225cpe View Post
      So I ran the WG line straight to the boost source. If I hold steady throttle, it bounces around from 8, 9, 10psi. It's super erratic. I'm thinking that my new WG isn't holding boost.
      I don't think this is terribly abnormal! Generated positive pressure acting on the actuator, as well exhaust gases acting against the wastegate flap are not static and very dependent on load, rpm, and a dynamic VE.

A perfect static pressure as a result of this test would mean that you can keep everything in steady state, which I doubt you can without some specific load bearing dyno.

Edit
      You also seem to confuse the wastegate which is an internal part of the turbo and the actuator that is an external device in charge of regulating exhaust bypass. Saying your new wastegate isn't holding boost would mean a faulty gate that isn't operating properly (a turbo issue). The variable in your case is the actuator (external to the turbo and wastegate), if you could take a video of how erratic the pressure generated by the test is, it would help assess if their is an issue or not.
      Last edited by Marcus_Aurelius; 10-04-2012 at 03:23 PM.

10. 10-04-2012 03:48 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      I don't think this is terribly abnormal! Generated positive pressure acting on the actuator, as well exhaust gases acting against the wastegate flap are not static and very dependent on load, rpm, and a dynamic VE.

A perfect static pressure as a result of this test would mean that you can keep everything in steady state, which I doubt you can without some specific load bearing dyno.

Edit
      You also seem to confuse the wastegate which is an internal part of the turbo and the actuator that is an external device in charge of regulating exhaust bypass. Saying your new wastegate isn't holding boost would mean a faulty gate that isn't operating properly (a turbo issue). The variable in your case is the actuator (external to the turbo and wastegate), if you could take a video of how erratic the pressure generated by the test is, it would help assess if their is an issue or not.
      Yes, wastegate internal and actuator external. Got that. But I'm referring to the leaking (or failure to pressurize). Not sure if its the diaphragm in the actuator or WG flapper door causing the problems.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      10-04-2012 04:03 PM #11
      Yes, wastegate internal and actuator external. Got that. But I'm referring to the leaking (or failure to pressurize). Not sure if its the diaphragm in the actuator or WG flapper door causing the problems.
      If I were you I'd just hook my wastegate up to a bike pump and slowly pressure it to check for when it begins to open.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

12. 10-04-2012 04:27 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      If I were you I'd just hook my wastegate up to a bike pump and slowly pressure it to check for when it begins to open.
      i use a compressor. Even with preload on it, it moves with a very low amount of pressure. I had it starting to move at about 4-5psi. but with the same amount of preload Im seeing between 8-10psi. Im really starting to think that my brand new actuator has some problems.

Vehicles
      JB 20th
      10-04-2012 04:36 PM #13
      Im pretty sure the problem is the Forge WG you are using isnt designed to withstand the F23. I remember someone else had an issue running a ForgeWG on a FT. Doug even tried some aftermarket ones but did not have much success with them.

Not sure if you requested a specific spring or not but this is right off of their site...

"This product is built with a predetermined actuator spring suitable for at, or slightly above factory boost levels. The actuator can be assembled with a stiffer spring upon request. Please contact us directly concerning this process
      It is designed and built with the intention of increasing the boost output of a turbocharged system. We cannot guarantee compatibility with all applications, nor the ability to increase the boost output beyond a level that is within the parameters set by the engine-management-system of the given vehicle at the time of installation, whether that system is factory or aftermarket."

14. 10-04-2012 04:38 PM #14
      I Should have mentioned, I have the stock at FT wastegate in now.

15. Forum Sponsor Gonzo@GTS Performance's Avatar
      Vehicles
      83 Rabbit 1.6D, 99.5 Jetta TDI, 02 GTI VR6, 00 Golf 1.8T, 01 Jetta Wolfsburg 1.8T, 00 Jetta TDI
      10-04-2012 05:15 PM #15
      Call me and let's chat about this so I can walk you thru some things.
      Gonzo - Team Leader @ GONZOTUNING.com - Facebook! - 1-888-853-9703
      The Most Advanced Performance Software and Hardware for your VW/Audi - 1.8T, TDI, VR6, R32, 2.0T, TSI, TFSI, 2.7T
      Quote Originally Posted by doug@frankenturbo.com View Post
      removal of the FrankenTurbo's actuator and replacement with a third-party's hardware voids the turbocharger's 2-year "warranty" [sic]

16. 10-04-2012 05:15 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo@GonzoTuning View Post
      Call me and let's chat about this so I can walk you thru some things.
      Calling you now

17. Forum Sponsor Gonzo@GTS Performance's Avatar
      Vehicles
      83 Rabbit 1.6D, 99.5 Jetta TDI, 02 GTI VR6, 00 Golf 1.8T, 01 Jetta Wolfsburg 1.8T, 00 Jetta TDI
      10-04-2012 06:09 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by RodgertheRabit II View Post
      "This product is built with a predetermined actuator spring suitable for at, or slightly above factory boost levels. The actuator can be assembled with a stiffer spring upon request. Please contact us directly concerning this process
      It is designed and built with the intention of increasing the boost output of a turbocharged system. We cannot guarantee compatibility with all applications, nor the ability to increase the boost output beyond a level that is within the parameters set by the engine-management-system of the given vehicle at the time of installation, whether that system is factory or aftermarket."
      Highlighted the important info.
      Calling you now

Let me know what you come up with.
      Gonzo - Team Leader @ GONZOTUNING.com - Facebook! - 1-888-853-9703
      The Most Advanced Performance Software and Hardware for your VW/Audi - 1.8T, TDI, VR6, R32, 2.0T, TSI, TFSI, 2.7T
      Quote Originally Posted by doug@frankenturbo.com View Post
      removal of the FrankenTurbo's actuator and replacement with a third-party's hardware voids the turbocharger's 2-year "warranty" [sic]

18. 10-05-2012 09:20 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo@GonzoTuning View Post

Let me know what you come up with.
      Turns out my problem is a crappy wastegate. I'm going back to the FORGE. Just not looking forward to doing the R & R again. I bet I can get it done in under an hour now