Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Carbing my Gti?

Vehicles
      1983 Volkswagen Rabbit GTi, 2010 Volkswagen Golf 2dr, 2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL
      10-03-2012 11:27 AM #1
      Hey guys I recently got my hands on an 83 Gti and carbing it is one of the many many things I may want to do in the future. It has a really solid 8v engine with a very aggressive cam that seems to run like a top, but the fuel injection system scares me a little because it seems very primitive and complicated, I also have heard if it goes bad you’re pretty much screwed. Also cosmetically the carbs will clean up the engine bay and give it a rawer look which I like. I don’t know if this is frowned upon, as I am new to the mk1 community, because after all the i in Gti stands for injected or injection. I was thinking of going with a kit from redline fuel management that includes everything you need and two weber 40 DCOE 174 carbs for 11 hundred. Is that a good carb choice and is that a good price? Let me know if you have any insight on this subject.
      Many Thanks, Brian

2. Member
      Vehicles
      73 squareback,83 rabbit L
      10-03-2012 12:00 PM #2
      I like carbs but the fi idnt all that hard to keep up but really its boils down to what you want.Iv never heard anything bad about the kit your looking into.Where in nj are you located?Im near the shore and theres not many guys around here that are into volkswagens that arnt tool so if your not to far away and need any help with the rabbit pm me

Vehicles
      Current: Mk3 Golf & Mk2 Golf
      10-03-2012 02:56 PM #3
      I'm a carb guy but I wouldn't swap out the FI unless it was really necessary. You need not worry about CIS with places like this and the samba. That system is old enough that every possible combination of things that could go wrong have gone wrong and have been discussed and remedied. That said; carbs rock!! If your patient you could find a good new/lightly used setup under a grand...in fact there is a nice set on here IIRCC for $900 that's in Pottstown PA. Check Ebay as well. The thing with the carbs (if your smart) decide which size and brand you want. Example "Weber DCOE" and instead of buying a specific "kit", why not piece together your own kit and save a few hundred? Sometimes you can find a steal of a deal . I picked up a working Weber 42 DCNF w/ram-filter for $25!!!! Some time later I found an other for $100 and sold the pair with intake I had fabricated from 2 stock pieces for $850 GL post pics
      Eastep: making the possible, impossible since:1981

4. 10-03-2012 04:29 PM #4
      I personally like carbs but something to consider with Weber DCOE's on your 8v. Early 8v's were not crossflow heads which put your intake manifold on the back of the head against the firewall....same place your carbs will reside. Being a side draught carb, it's basically drawing hot air from the exhaust manifold. You'll be better off with a downdraught carb in early 8V's.... unless you plan on swapping in a motor like a mk3 2.0L 8v or a 16v.

That being said, CIS systems are very reliable, simple fuel systems that are easy to maintain and diagnose despite the myths you've heard. Saying CIS systems are primitive and complicated while talking about carbs is a hilariously naive and juvenile statement...no offense. Basically keep it clean and keep your vac-system free of leaks....CIS systems like to be used. Letting a CIS car sit for long periods of time, allowing the fuel to varnish and rust/dirt in the system is primarily what causes failure...but that's the death of almost any fuel system right? CIS systems also don't like to be tampered with. Arbitrarily making adjustments to make it "run better" without knowledge of the system is also a prime contributor to your statement. Most people don't take the time to learn it, which F's it up for everyone else down the line that owns the car.

IMO you'd be better served to save your cash, buy a Bentley, and actually learn about CIS before scrapping the entire system for a more primitive system that takes a lot more effort than just bolting the carbs on and firing it up.

Drive it, enjoy it, ask questions if it breaks (as was mentioned).

Vehicles
      1978 WackyWabbit (sold)
      10-03-2012 09:09 PM #5
      CIS fuel injection hates two things:

1. Vacuum leaks
      2. Not being used frequently

Old gas becomes a "shellac-like" substance as the gas evaporates over time. This shellac-like mess clogs the entire fuel injection system, and it is not unique to only CIS fuel injection.

CIS fuel injection is a very well designed system and with knowledgeable modifications can handle up to about 180 WHP.

The fuel to air mixture ratio can be varied by changing the amount of CIS Control Pressure which basically regulates how far the fuel distributor plunger travels in its bore.

Become a student of CIS fuel injection, and you will appreciate it.

Cheers, WWR.
      WWR
      ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
      signature edition
      Harry Puckett R.I.P. 01-24-2010. You are gone too soon. We had races
      to race, jokes to tell, laughter to share, and cold beers to drink.

Vehicles
      1989 Cabby; 2013 Golf R
      10-03-2012 10:12 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by WackyWabbitRacer View Post
      CIS fuel injection hates two things:

1. Vacuum leaks
      2. Not being used frequently

Old gas becomes a "shellac-like" substance as the gas evaporates over time. This shellac-like mess clogs the entire fuel injection system, and it is not unique to only CIS fuel injection.

CIS fuel injection is a very well designed system and with knowledgeable modifications can handle up to about 180 WHP.

The fuel to air mixture ratio can be varied by changing the amount of CIS Control Pressure which basically regulates how far the fuel distributor plunger travels in its bore.

Become a student of CIS fuel injection, and you will appreciate it.

Cheers, WWR.
      I love every post this Guy makes.

Vehicles
      1983 Volkswagen Rabbit GTi, 2010 Volkswagen Golf 2dr, 2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL
      10-03-2012 10:18 PM #7
      Thanks for all the input guys. Im def gona just stick with the fuel injection system for now and wait till i get more familiar with the car. This was a humbling experience and shows what little i know about the car lol but hey i guess ill learn sooner or later

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 11:32 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by blockheater View Post
      I like carbs but the fi idnt all that hard to keep up but really its boils down to what you want.Iv never heard anything bad about the kit your looking into.Where in nj are you located?Im near the shore and theres not many guys around here that are into volkswagens that arnt tool so if your not to far away and need any help with the rabbit pm me
      Thanks bro that really cool of you I really appreciate it. Im from toms river so i cant be that far from you at all if your from the pine barrens. Yeah I have so so much to learn about this car. The first order of buisness is the shift linkage which I have a kit for now, then the exhaust bangs alot at low rpms i think it just needs hangers, and the wheel bearings need to be replaced at least in the front which I have. Other than that it is a really really solid car it just needs some cosmetic things and it will look like a new car.

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 11:34 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Eastep View Post
      I'm a carb guy but I wouldn't swap out the FI unless it was really necessary. You need not worry about CIS with places like this and the samba. That system is old enough that every possible combination of things that could go wrong have gone wrong and have been discussed and remedied. That said; carbs rock!! If your patient you could find a good new/lightly used setup under a grand...in fact there is a nice set on here IIRCC for $900 that's in Pottstown PA. Check Ebay as well. The thing with the carbs (if your smart) decide which size and brand you want. Example "Weber DCOE" and instead of buying a specific "kit", why not piece together your own kit and save a few hundred? Sometimes you can find a steal of a deal . I picked up a working Weber 42 DCNF w/ram-filter for $25!!!! Some time later I found an other for $100 and sold the pair with intake I had fabricated from 2 stock pieces for $850 GL post pics
      Thanks man Ill def have to give it some time