VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Is my turbocharger on its way out? (2.0T content)

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Boostedirish 
#1 · (Edited)
2.0 TSI Squeal HELP

I know I'm going to sound like a noob but whatever...car in question is a 2008.5 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition. (TSI, not FSI) I dont ever beat on the car...but when getting on the highway or under any hard acceleration, it sounds like there is a squealing noise coming from the turbo or maybe a belt.

It makes the sound when accelerating from about 2k to 3k, On cold starts, and even when backing up. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

rule 1

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, you may be better off posting in either the mkV or 2.0T Vortex forums.

That said, yes, the CPO warranty covers the turbocharger. If it's under warranty and something's wrong, I'd have the dealer look at it. Probably more productive than an internet diagnosis.

It's highly unusual for the turbo to go out that early, unless it's either a manufacturing defect or poor maintenance/oil.

#6 ·
CPO would definitely cover if it's the turbo. Also, the original drivetrain warranty which was 5/60 would cover if in service date is less that 5 years ago. That's in service date, not manufactured date. In any case bring it in ASAP to make sure you're covered.

#12 ·
Diverter is a better assumption than a bad turbo with only 40K on the clock. I think that my first diverter went at 47K, the second around 65K, the 3rd has been holding up well and I'm at 140K now :D

Does the car fall on it's face when this happens? Meaning does the whistling start and then all of the sudden the car feels like it's chained to a post? That's basically how mine felt when they went bad.

Interestingly though the diaphragms were not ripped the solenoid that closes the valve off gave up the ghost both times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.