Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SPEED Channel going away?

Vehicles
      a van
      10-03-2012 03:01 PM #36
      Yeah uh F1, ALMS, Continental, V8 Super, etc ... definitely like those on SPEED, wondering where they would end up in the whole shake up?
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA, '15 Outback Limited
      10-03-2012 03:07 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by 1985Jetta View Post
      I used to watch Speed all the time but now everything is on Velocity except for Gearz.
      I watched Speed a lot. Back when they were doing Legends of Motorsport and airing old BTCC from the 60s. It hasnt been a blip on my radar since. Velocity is much better. Maybe they can start picking up shows and ditch West Coast Customs and the 10 year old Boyd Coddington episodes.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-03-2012 03:52 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post
      They still show all of those on Speed. BTCC, DTM, and ATCC are shown in the off season and they show the Aussi V8 races through out the summer. As I mentioned before Speed shows a lot of different race series over the whole year. They even air the entire races for Grand Am where ABC/ESPN shows a condensed version of ALMS.
      IIRC they also showed the entire Bathurst 1000 this year.....

Vehicles
      Mk4 Jetta Wagon, WJ Grand Cherokke
      10-03-2012 04:03 PM #39
      I stopped watching SPEED when it became NASCARTV. Used to love it, back when they showed other types of racing.
      HAVE/HAD: Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac, Land Rover, VW (x5), Buick, Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Dodge, Nissan, Ford, GMC, Jeep
      WANT: FIAT 500C Abarth, VW Scirocco Mk1, Alfa Romeo GTV, Lotus Esprit, Audi TT, 240Z, Lancer Evo VIII RS,
      Hudson Hornet, Porsche 964, Mini Cooper, Caterham SV, M-B CLS63 AMG, DeTomaso Pantera

Vehicles
      '09 Jetta Wolfsburg, 2.0T TSI, DSG, Salsa Red
      10-03-2012 04:31 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by WakusPakus View Post
      It used to be Discovery HD Theatre - i assume their ratings were only good for the car shows they had like Chasing Classic Cars, Wheeler Dealers, Inside West Coast Customs (ew but cool). They switched it to Velocity over the summer and only show car/bike related shows now...it's on my TV non stop when i'm watching...thank god the GF let me build a man-cave or she'd never get to see her shows in the living room!
      And now they're bringing 5th Gear to the Velocity channel! Wa-hoo!

6. 10-03-2012 04:43 PM #41
      Regardless this sucks...I agree SPEED because nothing short of the NASCAR channel, BUT....I watch quite a bit on Speed.

F1
      ALMS
      Rolex Grand Am
      Aussie V8's
      BTCC
      Continental Sports Car Challenge
      (and we can assume the ALMS/Grand Am merger series...)

If Fox creates some huge bullsh_t channel with non-motorsports programs, and asshat pundits with overdone graphics and nonsense, f_ck them.

My only hope is that this happens, and someone else steps up and steals all of their motorsports programs and builds a decent channel.

10-03-2012 05:14 PM #42
      Speed lost me with the NASCAR stuff.

Speed in South America was awesome with rally, F1, and touring car racing.
      Algunos padres son poetas, todos los hijos son poesías. ♥

8. 10-03-2012 05:14 PM #43
      I don't know about everyone else here, but with the following programs:

-Forumula 1
      -Moto GP
      -Moto 2
      -250cc
      -WSB Superbike
      -WSB Supersport
      -ALMS
      -Grand AM
      -Indy
      -Indy Lights
      -Viper Cup
      -MX-5 Cup

my DVR is full between what is mostly programming from SPEED and maybe two or three other channels. There is not even a single NASCAR event on there and I have at least 2 hours of motor racing viewing every weeknight.

Sad to see if Speed goes away, but, if Speed/FOX 1 becomes a free channel and still has all the programming, then that's only a good thing.

Vehicles
      Something I bought at Weymouth Honda
      10-03-2012 05:18 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by the flying grape! View Post
      This doesn't bode well for motoGP. I hope US coverage will continue in some way.
      I watch motoGP on www.motogp.com

Yeah, it's not cheap, but you get to see the races live and can watch every race since 1992. Plus exclusive interviews and onboard footage and all the good stuff. It's the best way to watch MotoGP bar none. In fact, it's the best way to watch any sport IMO. No commercials anywhere in site, just nonstop action.

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      10-03-2012 05:22 PM #45
      I don't understand why people are saying the Speed only has Nascar stuff. My DVR is chalked full of non-Nascar racing from Speed. I'm still trying to catch up from some of the mid-August races from Grand Am and Continental. I think I may have some WRC in there too.

Speed is essentially 1/2 Nascar and 1/2 other race series and I'm fine with that.

11. 10-03-2012 05:43 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      I never watched it after it changed from Speedvision to Speed. I loved the campy old car chase movies they played on the weekends (Lost Drive-In) and all the rally racing and non-NASCAR stuff they showed.

But I guess it has changed just like all the other cable channels I used to watch, like TLC (only plays things like "Extreme Couponing" and "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" now) and History Channel, which only seems to have things like "Cajun Pawn Stars" and "Swamp People."

Give me some Modern Marvels or How It's Made, not any of this.
      Exactly this! I used to watch their coverage of the Dakar and Rally races all the time. It was probably my most watched channel and now I don't even check to see whats on. There were some great shows on back when it was Speedvision (can still picture the Speedvision symbol they had )... If I'm watching Nascar I feel like I get enough info from the pre-race coverage as well as during the race so I never watch any of the Nascar related shows on SPEED.

Hopefully it's replacement channel won't phase out racing coverage and auto-related shows. It would be nice to see them keep things basic but it'll probably end up being super loud and flashy and drive away the viewers who just want to watch coverage of races without all the nonsense.

12. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      10-03-2012 06:20 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by ToucheTurtle View Post
      The only thing I watch on Speed is Formula 1.
      this. hopefully F1 will be on something else if speed goes

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      10-03-2012 06:22 PM #48
      I used to watch Speed all the time but now everything is on Velocity except for Gearz.
      X2
      Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

14. 10-03-2012 06:51 PM #49
      Velocity gives me the good stuff. Speed has been in the sh!tter since ASSCAR picked them up. Anything worth seeing is always relegated to odd hours when the employed can't watch, so screw 'em.

BTW- Fifth Gear airs on Velocity tonight at 10pm EST. Which is better than ANYTHING on Speed. And better than TG imo as well.

I'm sure Velocity will get the Rally stuff and Le Mans Speed will stop showing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Vehicles
      '93 940, '95 SL1, '88 740, '85 740
      10-03-2012 06:54 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by troze1200 View Post
      I want to watch F1, V8 Supercar, Grand-Am, LeMans...how am I going to do that now? If Speed goes and I can't find these shows, I will end cable.
      There are these wonderful things called "torrents."

I watch all the V8 races the day after they air.

10-03-2012 07:05 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      I need F1 and motorcycle racing (MotoGP; WSBK; AMA).
      X2

17. 10-03-2012 07:53 PM #52
      I never watched it after it changed from Speedvision to Speed. I loved the campy old car chase movies they played on the weekends (Lost Drive-In) and all the rally racing and non-NASCAR stuff they showed.

But I guess it has changed just like all the other cable channels I used to watch, like TLC (only plays things like "Extreme Couponing" and "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" now) and History Channel, which only seems to have things like "Cajun Pawn Stars" and "Swamp People."

X2

18. 10-03-2012 08:12 PM #53
      It's funny people saying how they're bummed that they'll miss the ALMS on SPEED despite the fact it hasn't aired on that channel in 2 years.

19. 10-03-2012 08:16 PM #54
      10-4...Formula 1....the rest is rubbish.

Vehicles
      2001.5 Audi S4 - Banana
      10-03-2012 09:14 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by troze1200 View Post
      I want to watch F1, V8 Supercar, Grand-Am, LeMans...how am I going to do that now? If Speed goes and I can't find these shows, I will end cable.
      you said exactly what I wanted to...what other channel is going to televise 20/24 tv hours showing Le Mans. This stinks, hopefully there are internet resources that will pick this up. I'm just gonna move to internet only and no cable soon

21. 10-03-2012 09:22 PM #56
      Speed suuuuuuucks! But Velocity shows nothing but that blasted Mecum auction and Carini and Wheeler Dealers reruns day and night. Fifth Gear now will be the only thing keeping me watching.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      10-03-2012 09:30 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by the flying grape! View Post
      This doesn't bode well for Formula One. I hope US coverage will continue in some way.
      Fixed for my thoughts.

23. 10-03-2012 09:37 PM #58
      Is there a new season of "Chasing Classic Cars" coming or is he all done?
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      10-03-2012 10:08 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by DJMRDARK View Post

I'm sure Velocity will get the Rally stuff and Le Mans Speed will stop showing.
      Weeks if not months after it happens....

I don't see Velocity showing endurance races live neither....despite not showing Sebring, WEC or PLM, Speed still shows Daytona 24 and Le Mans 24, between TV and online coverage, in full and live....

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      10-03-2012 10:12 PM #60
      Fox Sports One?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      10-03-2012 10:16 PM #61
      Another Speed viewer only for MotoGP and other motorcycle roadracing. As long as that stays I don't care what else they show.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

27. 10-03-2012 11:44 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by DJMRDARK View Post
      Anything worth seeing is always relegated to odd hours when the employed can't watch, so screw 'em.
      You must really like watching those Lincoln Tech infomercials then. That's about all I get to see on Speed when I get home from work in the AM.

Not bashing you. Bashing Speed. They to show old races and NASCAR from the '60s which I thought was cool.

Vehicles
      Chevrolet Camaro SS
      10-04-2012 12:27 AM #63
      As others stated, SPEED turned to crap when it switched from Speedvision.

I am wondering if us canadians will get Velocity TV or if we already have access to it?

I miss the days of CBS coverage of NASCAR with Benny Parsons and Ned Jarrett.
      '99 Camaro SS 6MT | '04 Accord V6 EX Coupe 5AT

Vehicles
      2010 CTS-V
      10-04-2012 12:47 AM #64

I'd pay 10 bucks per month to have the old speedvision back, albeit updated and in HD..

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      10-04-2012 01:01 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      It's everything you've ever wanted Speed to be but never was.
      Speed was freaking awesome back when it was Speedvision. All kinds of racing, and no NASCAR that I can recall.

Vehicles
      '93 940, '95 SL1, '88 740, '85 740
      10-04-2012 02:47 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      Speed was freaking awesome back when it was Speedvision. All kinds of racing, and no NASCAR that I can recall.
      There was plenty of NASCAR.

32. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      10-04-2012 06:42 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      There was plenty of NASCAR.
      They had NASCAR, but they didn't have the seemingly 8 hours a day of NASCAR Trackside (reruns).
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

33. Member
      Vehicles
      More than I need
      10-04-2012 08:28 AM #68
      If any motor show, regardless of its network affiliation, that is supposedly aimed at an audience interested in motor sports goes to the macho or just plain stupid guy reality show toilet searching for an audience or starts wasting everyone's time with endless banter by boring talking heads doing what amounts to infomercials I change sports and go 'surfing'. If I can't find the remote quick enough to mute or switch channels I start yelling - SHUT THE F... UP! So many of these shows make the vehicle a prop rather than the star .
      I'll occasionally watch some of the auction shows [when completely bored] but with the sound off so I needn't listen to the hamster brain commentators or the 'floor rats' trying to intimidate the bidders to spend more foolishly .
      There is plenty of actual racing captured on video each year that would make a weekly motor show a success. Such a show could co-exist with the rest of the crap being sold as motor shows these days. The question is, who's going to sponsor and then air it?
      RB
      Last edited by Rowayton; 10-04-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Vehicles
      2001 Honda Prelude, 1984 Honda Gyro
      10-04-2012 08:51 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Waarp View Post
      Is there a new season of "Chasing Classic Cars" coming or is he all done?
      Saw a promo for a new season last night. New episodes on the 16th.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Everyone who writes for Jalopnik is an excellent writer and journalist.
      Quote Originally Posted by al@absolute View Post
      Go to bed or we're going for a drive in the Durango.

35. 10-04-2012 10:09 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      Saw a promo for a new season last night. New episodes on the 16th.

Cool. I caught "Fifth Gear" last nite and the annoying editing gave me a headache. Good to know there's new Carini to fall back on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast